Player Impact Fund will turn the PGA Tour into the WWE

2bGood

8 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I just want to see people do WWE style promos before rounds. Get Michael Cole out there to stand in between Koepka and Bryson before the round 

"Bryson, Brooks said he's tiiiiiiired of your garbage and you're an embarrassment to the tour....Now what do youuuuu have to say about that?"

Starts calling out his caddie

4 hours ago, GatorNate11 said:

Starts calling out his caddie

Michael Greller after weeks of being berated by Jordan Speith had enough . Greller cheap shots him with a 4 iron on the 18th green and then he takes off his bib to reveal he is wearing Patrick Reed bib underneath. Classic chair shot heel turn angle.

Edited by mark174ace
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mark174ace said:

I can see Speith berating his caddie week in and week out. Finally one week his caddie cheap shots him with a 4 iron and then he takes off his bib to reveal he is wearing Patrick Reed bib underneath. Classic chair shot heel turn angle.

CBS needs to hire JR immediately. "BY GAWD IT'S GRELLER! GRELLER WITH THE CHAIR!"

• Like 2

On 6/5/2021 at 5:58 AM, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

It already has turned into WWE and actually worst. Bruce posted a video basically encouraging bad behavior. This is getting out of hand quickly. 

The Pga has allowed the tournament experience to be turned into a cesspool. Please throw them all out and demand dignaty and decorum. 

b248610f02ab004c5909be97048cdc2f.png.c4aa178fe919bb7d6bde1a05cb8610d0.png

• Haha 1

I don't expect PGA golfers that are off the course to be/will be any better or worse than those in other sports - or we not in sport - but I do expect them to be gentlemen when playing the game, even the ones that demonstrate low moral development off the course. Even when they disappoint we continue to love them nonetheless, for not loving them is not in their or our best interest if change is desired.

Old Cuss

I just find it interesting that this seems to be the final straw for some people. I mean there’s been a yahoo element in golf crowds for a long time now.  The Tour has even encouraged it at certain events.

I think the genie is out of the bottle at this stage.

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

1 hour ago, anth said:

I just find it interesting that this seems to be the final straw for some people. I mean there’s been a yahoo element in golf crowds for a long time now.  The Tour has even encouraged it at certain events.

I think the genie is out of the bottle at this stage.

I think it is far from the final straw. Golf fans are pretty loyal to the game and will tolerate allot before they walk away. The PGA knows this so they keep pushing the limits bit by bit to see how many new fans they can bring in without losing more loyal (and ageing) fans

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OldCuss said:

I don't expect PGA golfers that are off the course to be/will be any better or worse than those in other sports - or we not in sport - but I do expect them to be gentlemen when playing the game, even the ones that demonstrate low moral development off the course. Even when they disappoint we continue to love them nonetheless, for not loving them is not in their or our best interest if change is desired.

Old Cuss

I think the final straw is when a player is assaulted on the course by some overzealous, entitled wahoo. It's coming, just look at the fan issues of recent at NBA games. 

As I said, the entitlement level of some people spiked to epic levels in 2020. There's even several here on WRX. 

I agree with several things that others have said.

First, the Tour has encouraged this behavior (by both fans and players) for some time now.  I personally don't subscribe to the "any publicity is good publicity" mantra.  A large bit o fit comes off as classless.

Secondly, having a microphone thrust into your face seems super prevalent now.  Before rounds, after rounds, on the range, after a loss, after a win, etc.  And to an equal extent the social media posting.  I don't think these guys can really afford to have a personality or be a human (faults and all) out there or even close to the course, for the backlash waiting for them around every corner.  Frankly, I don't see how these guys have a personal life.  And we can argue that a certain degree of that comes when you take the job/accept the check.

Lastly, decorum.  And along with that golf fans.  Society as a whole has "casualized."  In some ways that is fine and accepted.  In others it has come at the cost of behavior.  I have long held that for some subconscious reason people tend to behave differently based upon their dress.  Put on a suit and tie and your consciousness of manners goes up.  The expectations at ANGC would not be the worst thing in the world if they were the norm at all PGA Tour events and the Waste Management atmosphere was the exception.  Are you there to watch and support golf or are you there to drink and make a rearend of yourself?

It wouldn't hurt my feelings in the least if the Tour decided they had lost their way and reverted back to a very proper, country club-type atmosphere at the tournaments.  Might turn some of the casual fans off but frankly why alienate your base to chase casual fans?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN BROOKSIEMANIA RUNS WILD ON YOU?!

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

20 hours ago, JunkerJorge said:

I never heard of this. I had to google it to figure out what the heck you were talking about. This is the dumbest nonsense I have ever heard. PGA are you kidding me?

You are absolutely right.  It is appearance money by any other name.  They should just allow appearance money, and be done with it.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I'm all for it. The player drama is what makes the NBA "This League" captivating. Sure golf has a lot more awkward personalities than NBA and NFL but eventually players will find their voice and the interactions won't seem like some of these guys have never talked to a human being before. With prime, course and field dominating Tiger gone the PGA needs more drama. 

11 minutes ago, adamnbomb said:

I'm all for it. The player drama is what makes the NBA "This League" captivating. Sure golf has a lot more awkward personalities than NBA and NFL but eventually players will find their voice and the interactions won't seem like some of these guys have never talked to a human being before. With prime, course and field dominating Tiger gone the PGA needs more drama. 

Watch reality TV then. Let sports be sports and you can catch up with the Kardashian's (Rickie) on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Tiktok, etc. Please just let them play golf like it's a competitive game though. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the PIF is in effect, 

I recall reading that it has a number of data points and they had not quite formalized the "formula"

Depending on how heavily weighted certain aspects are it could make twitter spats a smaller part of the overall equation.

Also if not immediately in effect today the Brooks V Bryson thing not really helping them. 

From Google

The report indicates that the Nielsen Brand Exposure rating - which places a value on the length of time players feature in TV broadcasts and the possible exposure for sponsors - will be used, along with a golfer's popularity when searched on Google.

The frequency a golfer generates coverage across a range of media platforms will be taken into account as well as their Q Rating, which measures the familiarity and appeal of a player's brand.

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

Also if you think negatively about the players that engage in these stunts, that influences their popularity rating, so it may be more a reflection of if we like traditional golf the way we think it is or if the "new breed" of golfer is actually the more popular one outside our golf nerd bubble.  

Wouldn't find a bluetooth speaker on a course when I was a kid , but I also had to wear knee highs ... not all change is bad. 

Edited by c7015

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

Not gonna lie…this was next level funny

Bruce needs to use creamers on his next tweet

• Haha 1

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

On 6/4/2021 at 7:28 PM, 2bGood said:

Monetising players for simply getting people to pay attention to them seems like a misguided idea. I suspect it will have the unintended consequences of encouraging players to behave poorly as being bad is the easiest way to get clicks. 

The Bryson v Brooksie feud seems to support this idea. 

I think it needs to be positive representation 

5 hours ago, gvogel said:

You are absolutely right.  It is appearance money by any other name.  They should just allow appearance money, and be done with it.

Because the most popular PGA guys are struggling financially. Lol. It’s begging for someone to try to get popular for something other than golf. Hopefully the LPGA hasn’t/doesn’t follow suit. 

16 hours ago, DFS PFD said:

Watch reality TV then. Let sports be sports and you can catch up with the Kardashian's (Rickie) on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Tiktok, etc. Please just let them play golf like it's a competitive game though. 

It's funny how we all love to hear stories of NBA trash talk and hear NFL players mic'd up but when it comes to golf we suddenly want them to be video game characters with no personality or substance. 

1 hour ago, adamnbomb said:

It's funny how we all love to hear stories of NBA trash talk and hear NFL players mic'd up but when it comes to golf we suddenly want them to be video game characters with no personality or substance. 

WE don't. Please don't speak for me, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I respect yours. I could care less about "mic'd up" players in any sport, I want to watch the best competitors in each sport, compete. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, adamnbomb said:

I liked old school trash talk. Larry Bird was an exceptional trash talker...Kevin Garnett might be the alltime best, former players still talk about how good he was at it. I never minded that stuff.

"Modern" trash talk is just people getting offended at dumb tweets

It's like i said earlier in the thread, i'm not sure the PGA guys have any personality. Watching Bryson and Brooks argue about things isn't like watching Garnett torment Carmelo Anthony, it's more like watching "the dinner episode" of the Office where you are cringing

My fear is that we might end up preferring the times when they said nothing LOL

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

3 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I liked old school trash talk. Larry Bird was an exceptional trash talker...Kevin Garnett might be the alltime best, former players still talk about how good he was at it. I never minded that stuff.

"Modern" trash talk is just people getting offended at dumb tweets

It's like i said earlier in the thread, i'm not sure the PGA guys have any personality. Watching Bryson and Brooks argue about things isn't like watching Garnett torment Carmelo Anthony, it's more like watching "the dinner episode" of the Office where you are cringing

My fear is that we might end up preferring the times when they said nothing LOL

Golf certainly does attract more introverts than extroverts. It is my opinion this is an interesting experiment that is going to force those that may naturally choose to stay to themselves to be more open in a public forum. How a player chooses to interact with the public is up to them. They can be vanilla like Spieth or stir the pot like Brooks. Who knows the PGA may do away with this after a few years. Golf media is boring after Johnny Miller left. Let the players have more control of the narrative. 

Another sport that has opened competitors to do more on their own is Major League Fishing. They let anglers have their own YouTube channels and record themselves during tournaments. It gives the fan a great inside view of the preparation and thought process going into each tournament and shows the relationships anglers have with each other.

I used the WWE as the comparison, but after some thought I keep coming back to UFC and even boxing. Two sports where hype sells bigger than skill. Thing is Connor McGregor and his antics seem to the the fit the UFC and have made him and the UFC lots of money, but I just don't want to see that kind of clown show used to draw eyes to the PGA.

Edited by 2bGood

Golf needs a pick me up.  We are the minority here who want to be "serious" golfers, play our club tournaments, are aging out,  Sorry all you 28 year olds - I'm talking about you too.  

The world is moving on...  Elvis was going to ruin the world, the the Beatles were the devil, the US had a president named Nixon who misbehaved and the end of society was coming for us all, I could go on and on with these examples for days....  

Things change.  Look at the basketball fans in the 1946 when the NBA was founded - people were dressed nice at games and I bet they were restful...  Life evolves, weather we like it or not it happens.

Just imagine JT standing over 6ft putt to win a tournament then out of no where Rickie comes out from the crowd and hits him with a chair causing JT to loose the tournament but skyrockets Rickie to full heel and skyrocketing him up the PIF charts. 

hulk hogan wrestling GIF by WWE

Sign me up. 

• Haha 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

On 6/6/2021 at 11:42 PM, 2bGood said:

I think it is far from the final straw. Golf fans are pretty loyal to the game and will tolerate allot before they walk away. The PGA knows this so they keep pushing the limits bit by bit to see how many new fans they can bring in without losing more loyal (and ageing) fans

I agree. Most likely because I'm old. Go Boomer's - get off my lawn!