Maltby KE4 driver.

Nels55

It’s great you posted this as I’m thinking about building one to try a driver around 46”.  Right now I’m thinking a ProLaunch Red. 

Curious, what was the swingweight with the stock weight?

What made you settle on the Aero?

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Synergy 50
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60
Callaway '18 Apex 3H, 4H Aldila NV 105

Taylormade Rocketbladez Tour “F” Heads 3-PW DG120 S300

Callaway Jaws CC 52*, 58* DGS300
Nike Method Mod 00

2 hours ago, achappy said:

It’s great you posted this as I’m thinking about building one to try a driver around 46”.  Right now I’m thinking a ProLaunch Red. 

Swing weight is D3 with a tour wrap midsize grip with 4 layers of tape under it.  

I tried the Xcaliber first at 47" with no weight in the weight port and it worked pretty good with numbers about the same as the SS65 at 46".  Since I don't have a light weight to put in the weight port yet and I did not want to play it with no weight I cut the Xcaliber down to 46" and I did not like the feel as well as I liked the SS65.  When I get the weights to mess around with I will extend the xcaliber to 47.5" and put in a 2 gram weight and see how it works.  LOL probably will get about the same numbers though...  The two gram weight is backordered until July...

I bought the Aerotech shaft for this driver because I have 110 gram steelfiber shafts in my irons and hybrids and I really like them so I thought maybe the driver would work well with an Aerotech shaft also.

Driver Maltby KE4 w Aeortech Steelfiber SS65 shaft 46.5”
3 wood Rogue subzero 15 degree with Paderson KG70 F30
Hybrids: 3, 4 and 5 Rogue with Steelfiber HLS980 shaft
Irons: 6 through wedge PXG 0311 with Steelfiber i110cw shaft
Wedge: 50 deg 10 deg bounce MacDaddy 4 S Grind
Wedge: 56 deg 10 deg bounce Jaws S Grind
Wedge: 62 deg 10 deg bounce MacDaddy 4 C Grind (bent to 62 degrees from 60 degrees)
Wedges with steelfiber i110 shafts.
Putter: Strokelab EXO 7; 39.25 inches; 77 degree lie angle; Takimac arthritic grip

I built one of these for a friend and did some extensive testing with it also. It didnt please my eye and it was a hook machine for me. I also didn't care for the sound. It sounds like a Ping driver and I like a more muted sound. I loved the sound of the original sTw, but it spun way too much for me.

Distance and feel were good and I can see why people would like the driver. It just didnt fit me. I also used a T6*shaft as well and played with multiple settings (I have a T6 and an avalon 6s for my SIM gamer, so I know it wasn't a shaft issue). So, I hit it enough to know how *I* would hit it.

My friend liked it and hit it well. When I didn't hook it, the performance was really good. Launch angle was good. Spin rate looked fine from what I could tell on the ball flight and distance was good. 

I wouldn't hesitate to build it for anyone. I have a KE4 3 wood coming tomorrow to replace the old KE4 3 wood that has been one of my all time favorites. I have a SIM driver and a Ping putter, but everything else in my bag is Maltby, so I am a huge fan of their stuff. Just this particular driver didnt agree with me.

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM 9° set at 7.5°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1/2", 11g backweight, 10g adjustable weight, D5, 45 7/8", PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13° Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1 1/2" 43", D4, Maltby KE4 FDI 19° (bent to 17°)Modus 120S 3 iron shaft, D4,Snake Eyes quick strike tour 18° hybrid, Xcaliber T6* TS untipped (soft stepped)

Maltby KE4 tour hybrid, 22°, kuro kage black shaft X 

Maltby TS-1 irons, DG X100 Sensicore, D4, 2° flat, 4-PW

Maltby TSW wedges,  DG X100 Sensicore,  50°, 54°, 58°, 2° flat

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong

Tp5x pix

5 hours ago, Jtgavigan said:

I built one of these for a friend and did some extensive testing with it also. It didnt please my eye and it was a hook machine for me. I also didn't care for the sound. It sounds like a Ping driver and I like a more muted sound. I loved the sound of the original sTw, but it spun way too much for me.

Distance and feel were good and I can see why people would like the driver. It just didnt fit me. I also used a T6*shaft as well and played with multiple settings (I have a T6 and an avalon 6s for my SIM gamer, so I know it wasn't a shaft issue). So, I hit it enough to know how *I* would hit it.

My friend liked it and hit it well. When I didn't hook it, the performance was really good. Launch angle was good. Spin rate looked fine from what I could tell on the ball flight and distance was good. 

I wouldn't hesitate to build it for anyone. I have a KE4 3 wood coming tomorrow to replace the old KE4 3 wood that has been one of my all time favorites. I have a SIM driver and a Ping putter, but everything else in my bag is Maltby, so I am a huge fan of their stuff. Just this particular driver didnt agree with me.

Interesting comment on the sound.  Indoors it feels good but I do not particularly like the sound but once I got it outdoors I found the sound to be muted and really nice. 

I noticed that when I set the hosel in the upright and also higher loft positions I tended to hook the club more.  The big hook is the bane of my golf existence and for me with the club set for lowest loft I seem to be able to keep the big hook away at least on my skytrak and for one round yesterday LOL.  Something else that I found interesting was that in the testing I have done so far I launched slightly higher with the lower loft setting, I guess that I tend to swing up more or something or just a glich in the data... 

One thing that I liked about this driver is that I hit it well right away unlike my Club Champion Mizuno ST190 with Paderson shaft that could not hit to save my life at first.  I got pretty good with it over time but I think that the bad experience at first was always in the back of my mind.  I probably should have taken it back the first day but I am not so smart I suppose...  I don't believe that I will ever go to another professional fitter again.

Thanks for the mention of the 3 wood, I am not even carrying a 3 wood at the moment because I cannot seem to find one the works consistently.  I might order a Maltby and give it a try if the driver seems to keep working.

Wedge: 62 deg 10 deg bounce MacDaddy 4 C Grind (bent to 62 degrees from 60 degrees)
Putter: Strokelab EXO 7; 39.25 inches; 77 degree lie angle; Takimac arthritic grip

Posted (edited)

I actually just got rid of a 2017 M2 that I spun more and hit it higher in the lowest setting. I had the 10.5°.

I went 9° with the sim and playing it low as well, but I had added lead tape to it to get the swing weight right. So, I just got a 17g back weight and a 14g sliding weight. No spinning too much with this one. Sound is better than the M2 also.

I really liked that KE4 3 wood for a long time, but something has changed and I am spinning it to much unless I shut the face down and play a draw. If I try to cut it or hit it into the wind, it goes 30 yards less. It wasnt that way before. Not sure if the face is just so worn (which I would think would knock spin off), or if my swing/delivery has changed that much. I have swapped shafts with the same results. So, time to switch. Stayed with a shaft type/profile that has always suited me.

Edited by Jtgavigan
  • Like 1

Taylormade SIM 9° set at 7.5°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1/2", 11g backweight, 10g adjustable weight, D5, 45 7/8", PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13° Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1 1/2" 43", D4, Maltby KE4 FDI 19° (bent to 17°)Modus 120S 3 iron shaft, D4,Snake Eyes quick strike tour 18° hybrid, Xcaliber T6* TS untipped (soft stepped)

Maltby KE4 tour hybrid, 22°, kuro kage black shaft X 

Maltby TS-1 irons, DG X100 Sensicore, D4, 2° flat, 4-PW

Maltby TSW wedges,  DG X100 Sensicore,  50°, 54°, 58°, 2° flat

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong

Tp5x pix

In regards to the sound it can vary on contact quite a bit. As for ball speed it will match anything I put it against. It knocked a SIM 9.0 out of my bag. I have also had nearly every shaft you can imagine in these heads. 

Also all of the Xcaliber shafts, Ventus Blue was a bit too high launching but great numbers. A Tini orange I believe, A Smoke Green 65 S was really solid but oddly enough the Xcaliber SL45 S tipped has beaten them all. A shaft that really shouldn't fit me. But it keeps the ball flight down and REALLY knocks the spin numbers way down. The L setting is what I play. 

I do love the ease at which SW can be changed and how cheap the weights are. I seem to gravitate to a D3. For money spent its tough to beat. I would like to add a bit of Hot Melt one day to experiment. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jtgavigan said:

It didnt please my eye and it was a hook machine for me.

I'm glad someone else feels this way.  I had one built w/the Diamana S+ - a profile that fits me well and I've used successfully in the past - and I just can't stop that thing from going left.  The look is OK, I like the sound and feel but left is a deal breaker.

• Like 1

W/S Cortex 10.5* - Blueboard S+62/S
TEE E8 Tour15* - Blueboard S+70/S
W/S C300 20*/23* - SteelFiber hls780/S
W/S Staff Model CB 5-P - DG300S
W/S PMP 52/56/60 - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
TM TP Black Copper Ardmore 3

4 minutes ago, the bishop said:

I'm glad someone else feels this way.  I had one built w/the Diamana S+ - a profile that fits me well and I've used successfully in the past - and I just can't stop that thing from going left.  The look is OK, I like the sound and feel but left is a deal breaker.

That's interesting, I have not noticed a pronounced hook tendency at all with the club and with the L setting especially.  I wonder if there is some manufacturing tolerance issue or perhaps it is simply the shape of the head that does not work with some golfers swings or something like that?  Who knows LOL!  Anyway thanks for your input!  

On 6/6/2021 at 1:18 PM, TallGuy90 said:

@Popeye64 do you happen to have a TL 6 driver shaft?

I have more than a few 6 series shafts but no TL 6. I'm away from home for another week but I need to sort out what I have with Maltby tips. 

I have a few Avalon 6s. Pro T6☆. RT6 L. HBL60 and i think an RT6☆. All in S or TS. Those are what I remember off the top of my head. 

• 2 weeks later...

Had a turn back the clock driver day today. I used to crush the ball but being 56 I've lost some pop. 

I've been tinkering with driver shafts try to rid my fade. The Xcaliber Pro HBL60 TS which is a high balance point driver has been the combination for me. I've completely eliminated my fade. Its fairly easy for me to turn the ball over now. 

Hit 3 drives of just short of 300 but more importantly controlled the ball all day. 

Although I can get less spin with the Superlite45 and it may go longer the HBL60 is more consistent. 

KE4 TC was a lot of fun today. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 10:25 PM, achappy said:

I tried this one in the KE4 I have and I thought it was great. 
https://www.golfworks.com/grafalloy-prolaunch-gwx-graphite-wood-shafts/p/tt0155/

• Like 1

I want to double down on the Pro HBL60 TS setup in the KE4 TC. I almost can't fade this setup. Square up to the ball with the face slightly open. Then let it rip! Shaft just kicks through impact, launching high even on the L setting. Have not hit the ball further in quite a while. Or I should say,, this far consistently. If it does go right its a push but no left to right movement,, just the line I started it on.. All the other Xcaliber shafts I can fade at will. Not this one and I love it. ❤

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I am still loving this driver LOL.  I have noticed while hitting balls on the range that the sound and feel is much better with ProV1, AVX, ChromeSoft or the like.  When I hit some of the harder balls it does seem a bit harsh.  Here is a look at the headcover that I am currently using:

KE4inBagJLHdcvr.JPG.5ffc11c2055a154570380edf63df368b.JPG

Not the greatest but I like it better than the Maltby head cover.  LOL I have a lot of head covers in my bag!

• Like 2