Q Star Tour

Pamlico

20 hours ago, Pamlico said:

That's what I meant- not true BOGO this year.

Thanks for clarifying--you got my hopes up, since I have stocked up the past couple of years! Still a good deal, but a little disappointing.

For whatever it's worth, I haven't played the brand new model ("QST 3" I guess?) but have played the past two and really liked them. I don't know that I'm the most discerning player, though. Just seems like a nice price point for a urethane ball.

• Like 2

Just my opinion - There are two balls that are significantly outside the current/normal price to performance ratio: The Kirkland Signature and the Q-Star Tour. Both typically receive excellent reviews by actual users, but very poor ones from the professional entities who are supported by the industry as a whole.

In the case of the Kirkland, the typical knock is that overly high spin, particularly on irons, results in distance loss. This appears to overlook the idea that the target audience, the good recreational player with average swing speed, needs exactly that, while the high swing speed professional testers don’t.

The Q-Star was rather dramatically attacked for a lack of roundness. However, the actual objective measurement isn’t stated, and the test’s conclusion is actually-

WEIGHT CONSISTENCY

Consistency (of weight) across the Srixon Q-Star Tour is good (above average).

Weight variation between the heaviest and lightest ball in the sample was minimal.

DIAMETER CONSISTENCY

Diameter consistency relative to the other balls in our database is average.

While not every ball in the sample was round, average diameter from one ball to the next is reasonably consistent.

COMPRESSION CONSISTENCY

We’ve put an asterisk on our chart because the compression consistency of the Q-Star Tourrequires further explanation. If we compare only the average compression of the balls in our Srixon Q-Star Tour sample, the Srixon Q-Star Tour is among the very best we’ve tested to date.

The other interesting thing about this test is the comments, with multiple posters essentially stating that they just knew that the majority of their poor shots were because of the ball that they were using, as their swings were apparently above reproach in all cases.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Pamlico said:

Think the price difference of QST over the 2 piece QStar is worth it?

Yes absolutely. One is an overpriced 2-piece surlyn/ionomer cover ball and the other is a well priced 3-piece urethane cover ball.  They are basically completely different balls only similar in name and I believe compression.   

If you want an ionomer cover there are better options than the qstar(IMO the soft feel is better and $5 cheaper per box).

If you want a urethane ball that isnt high compression like a traditional tour ball then the q-star tour is a great choice.

Edited by HyzerFlipDG

On 6/5/2021 at 1:27 PM, Pamlico said:

I have played some QST balls in the past and have been happy with them. However, I saw the testing Not allowed because of spam did last fall so I'm a bit apprehensive. 

With the BOGO deal going on, I'd like to get some but wondering if I should go with a different model.

Don't worry about Golfspymy, they don't understand proper testing methods or how to interpret results.

I was playing the Q Star until I got the Divide and now I think I will switch to the QST. I love the feel off irons since I started hitting the Divide into greens. 

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged Blade 4, 5, 7-PW

Mizuno MP-68 6 iron

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

I started playing the QST last year around this time. I had played the ones I would find at the course and liked the way they felt so decided to take advantage of the BOGO. A buddy and I went to a nice course that we had never played and I debuted them. He actually thought I was crazy to try them on a new course but I played a really good round with them. My lowest score before using the QST was several 78's. I have shot 74 twice with the yellow QST's. Not gonna lie, I was disappointed that Srixon went to B2GO but it still is a good deal on a great ball. I ordered 6 dozen this afternoon.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood

Titleist 910H 19*
Ping i-e1 5-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

I've played the QST on and off since it was introduced, and it's a great ball. Definitely less rollout and a little more check around the greens than a 2 piece ball, no it's not going to play like a ProV1 but it costs almost half the price of one. 

I'm more concerned with how it works for my game vs what a sanctimonious blowhard who's been proven wrong time and time again says about it.

• Like 1

Played them all last summer and loved them.

Sub 70 849 Pro 10.5° - ProForce V2 Black 6F4 S
Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 15° 3W - Attas Coool 6S
Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 2H 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S

2015 OnOff Kuro Forged 4-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour S

Nike VR Pro 52°-10° Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour S
Nike VR Pro 56°-14° Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour S
Nike VR Pro 58° DS Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour S
Grips - Number One 50 Pro Series

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport (1996) - KBS black CT Tour, Iomic Black Army
MaxFli Tour (Yellow)

On 6/5/2021 at 10:27 AM, Pamlico said:

I have played some QST balls in the past and have been happy with them. However, I saw the testing Not allowed because of spam did last fall so I'm a bit apprehensive. 

With the BOGO deal going on, I'd like to get some but wondering if I should go with a different model.

That "ball lab" is a huge joke and waste of time IMO. Especially since in none of their "lab" tests do they quantify their findings with any type of real world performance differences(they do have their theoretical hypothesis on how some of the imperfections may affect a ball, but once again it is not backed by real world results). So essentially they are just a self appointed quality control lab that assigned their own parameters for what is and isn't a "quality" golf ball. So the real question to ask about their "ball lab" is  that without any real world performance data do they really have the expertise to classify something as a defect rather than just an imperfection?

As to your conundrum, if you like a ball and are happy with it's performance, that should be what matters. If you are concerned about performance, the only real answer for you would be to compare it directly with other balls. But the test has to be with your swing, and in your environment, because any other test or lab out there will set their own parameters, and their parameters are probably unlikely to match your game and environment.

• Like 1

I bought a couple of dozen of mixed used Srixon tour level balls on clearance at my local Walmart and among the Z-Stars, there were a few Q Star Tours and I tried them out and they're a pretty decent ball. 

If I ran out of Pro V1s or TP5s, that ball will be a good substitute if I'm in a pinch.

Edited by cgasucks

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

How do the QST and the TM Tour Response compare to each other?

I've been playing the Tour Response for a bit and it's a pretty good ball. I have 3dz of them in the closet, but I want to take advantage of the current deal and coupon I have.

Anyone played both? How about the newest Zstar as well?

Edited by RainShadow

Ping G425 LST 10.5 Oban Devotion 6/04 or Riptide 60 CB 5.5
Epic Speed 16.5 HZRDUS Smoke im10 70 6.0
Ping G410 19* Riptide CB 80

Ping G410 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
Apex 21 6-GW Recoil Dart 75 
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 54/14
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 58/12

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33”

TM Tour Response/ ProV1/ Chrome Soft TT

10 minutes ago, RainShadow said:

How do the QST and the TM Tour Response compare to each other?

I've been playing the Tour Response for a bit and like it's a pretty good ball. I have 3dz of them in the closet, but I want to take advantage of the current deal and coupon I have.

Anyone played both? How about the newest Zstar as well?

If I’m not mistaken those are all three 3pc TPU cover balls. They are going to be similar enough in construction you’d probably have to try them yourself to know whatever minor differences they have for your game. 

If that’s the category that works well for you you might just buy three or four dozen anytime you see a great deal, use them up, then shop for another deal when they run out. 

• Like 1

From August 18, 2021 I will be away from GolfWRX for a while.

14 hours ago, 1Mordrid1 said:

That "ball lab" is a huge joke and waste of time IMO. Especially since in none of their "lab" tests do they quantify their findings with any type of real world performance differences(they do have their theoretical hypothesis on how some of the imperfections may affect a ball, but once again it is not backed by real world results). So essentially they are just a self appointed quality control lab that assigned their own parameters for what is and isn't a "quality" golf ball. So the real question to ask about their "ball lab" is  that without any real world performance data do they really have the expertise to classify something as a defect rather than just an imperfection?

As to your conundrum, if you like a ball and are happy with it's performance, that should be what matters. If you are concerned about performance, the only real answer for you would be to compare it directly with other balls. But the test has to be with your swing, and in your environment, because any other test or lab out there will set their own parameters, and their parameters are probably unlikely to match your game and environment.

There are way too many variables to say for example that a core that is X mm off centered will result in Y result (each set of swing variables could see a different deviation vs the control spec). If a particular attribute is found to greatly deviate from the intended spec, then it is absolutely a defect regardless of the impact on the final shot result. 

The Ball Lab concept is focused on the consistency of specific measurable attributes of the physical ball. Nowhere are they stating that ball selection should be solely based off of their findings, but it can aid in narrowing down choices for a player to try on the course (real world testing is always the best approach). While I am not a fan of the way they present their findings in editorial form at times, but I do a appreciate some of the provided data and effort (very few 3rd parties with a large enough audience to influence OEM to make improvements). 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, North Butte said:

If I’m not mistaken those are all three 3pc TPU cover balls. They are going to be similar enough in construction you’d probably have to try them yourself to know whatever minor differences they have for your game. 

If that’s the category that works well for you you might just buy three or four dozen anytime you see a great deal, use them up, then shop for another deal when they run out. 

Problem is, I hardly ever lose balls. LOL.

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 10.5 Oban Devotion 6/04 or Riptide 60 CB 5.5
Epic Speed 16.5 HZRDUS Smoke im10 70 6.0
Ping G410 19* Riptide CB 80

Ping G410 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
Apex 21 6-GW Recoil Dart 75 
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 54/14
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 58/12

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33”

TM Tour Response/ ProV1/ Chrome Soft TT

9 hours ago, North Butte said:

Tour Response is a cast urethane...

Tour Response 2020 Advanced Speed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Played my first round yesterday with the QST and I really like it. I got 50 for $30 so I will add them to the rotation since I'm almost out of Nikes.

• Like 1

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged Blade 4, 5, 7-PW

Mizuno MP-68 6 iron

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

I'm still peeved over a purchase I made a few years ago for some "Q Star Tour Yellow Balls" - that's exactly how they were described in the online listing.

I was thinking they were supposed to be "Q Star Tour" balls in "Yellow" (urethane 3pc). I was wrong.

Turns out they were Q Star balls in "Tour Yellow" - i.e. 2pc surlyn.

Punctuation matters. I've not tried the QSTs since. Yeah, I know, my problem, not theirs...

This is anecdotal evidence, so not really very good evidence, but I have no way to hit these balls on a trackman so it's the best I've got. I used to play the Q Star Tour pretty much exclusively. The price was right, I liked the feel, and I wasn't super concerned about the loss of distance off the driver at my swing speed. I would have liked more iron spin, but I could learn to play around that. Something I noticed though was that I got fliers off irons more often than I would expect. I expect a ball in the rough, or a wet ball to sometimes go a bit further. But I was having one or two shots a round from a dry fairway fly a club or half a club longer than I can hit the ball normally. At about the same time people started cutting balls in half and finding that there were a lot more manufacturing defects in balls than we had previously imagined. I then started to wonder about the Q Star Tour. The cost to make one shouldn't be any less than a Z-Star. It's basically a Z-Star with lower compression. So how do they hit the lower price point? Do they just accept a lower margin on those and hope to make it up in volume? Or do they manufacture them to a less exacting standard? At that point I decided to switch balls first to the Bridgestone Tour BX and then to the Snell MTB-X.

Then the ball lab for this ball came out. And it explained how I could get fliers with the ball often. The compression isn't consistent. A 10 point difference in compression depending on where you hit the ball is about enough to make it spin like a ProV1 hit one way and a Chromesoft another. Combine that with some balls being slightly larger (flying shorter) and you could easily have a ball go about a club in distance more or less depending on the ball you put down and where you hit it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m an 11 handicap. I Played 18 holes with the divide version and shot 80, which was a good round for me on this specific and challenging course. I typically play AVX or tp5 so I was skeptical. I was pleasantly surprised with the performance. While the balls didn’t check as well as tp5 on gap wedge or sand wedge into the green, the rest was actually very good.  I didn’t expect much from the ball and I was absolutely pleasantly surprised. 

pros: straight, consistent, decent spin, fairly long, durable

cons: not as much spin as I am used to(sometimes I think tp5 spins too much), the matte finish seemed to be slick by rounds end, a bit distracting when putting(but I putted well overall), long iron spin(into greens) was too low for me, ball felt a bit heavier off some clubs(could have been mishit since I do that lol)

i think the pros outweigh the cons for me, I would play it again