2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Srixon ZX7 Long Term on Course Reviews Please

Jjones519a

They are incredibly soft feeling versatile irons.  I'm a small divot taker and the v sole is a dream through the turf for me.  The 4-5 irons are fairly small, but i have no problem getting them up in the air.  Shaft is important tho.  I play softer Modus 105s.  The much talked about "thicker' top line doesn't bother me at all....

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

37" Odyssey 2-Ball 10 Tour W/Superstroke Zenergy Tour 13"

Chrome Tour 

On 6/6/2021 at 10:22 PM, Aviador Naval said:

I got mine early, have played them a lot, never been happier with an iron.

I'm currently playing 7i - PW with Modus 105-S.  I have ZX-5 in 5i and 6i but not because I believe it to be any more forgiving.  Rather, the ZX5 are a touch stronger lofted and produce a touch less spin.  That combination worked out better for my yardage gaps.

I demo'd ZX7 extensively with Modus 120-S.  I like that shaft (120) on full swings but it simply doesn't feel quite right to me on partial/knock down type shots.  However, on full swings, the ZX7 feels fantastic with Modus 120 and launch/spin is what I would expect with a ~115g shaft.

I love the V-Sole.  The thin forward portion is always in play and the receding bounce angle on the back half only is really only in play when necessary.  As a result, it plays like a thinner soled medium bounce club in firm condition and a kindler/gentler wider soled club when the course is wet.

The launch/spin are perfect for me.  Much like the V-Sole, this is something you simply have to try for yourself preferably from real grass with your normal ball.  I believe that the ZX7 spins on the order of 400-500rpm or so less for its loft and launch angle than similar style clubs (AP2, T100, i210, etc).  Additionally, the design launch seems average/moderate for its type.  This combination is utterly perfect for my normal delivery.  It also suits my common miss which is a bit steep and/or excess launch/spin.  However, if you are naturally a low launch and/or low spin player, it might not be optimum.

I'm not a huge on forgiveness per the traditional talking points of MOI, ball speed retention, etc.  I'm not a physics denier but simply believe the amount to which it can be affected given the constraints and restraints of clubhead size and/or materials is much more relevant in a lab or marketing brochure than it is on the golf course.  Having said that, it is borderline cheating how far you can miss thin and/or out to the toe side and still get a very playable shot.

ZX7 has the best combination of feel (i.e., pleasing) and feedback I've played.  Some clubs like Mizuno feel great middled but awful when missed just a little - in other words, good feedback but  the punishment exceeds the crime.  Some clubs like the Ping i210 feel fantastic all over the club face.  You could hit one off the hosel and the feel still worthy of a quick round of vinegar strokes - which in turn gives one a false sense of 'forgiveness' because virtually every shot feels like it was pure.  Again, ZX7 is the best of both worlds - utterly sublime out of the middle, the smallest miss detectable, and moderate or bigger misses don't leave you reaching for Motrin or an ice pack for your wrists/elbows.

Nothing is perfect and that includes ZX-7.  For the next iteration, I would like to see a slight back bevel on the topline so that it appears a touch slimmer.  Would also like to see what they look like in satin.

made me cry it was so good 😭

• Like 1

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

Chrome Tour 

4 hours ago, gsxrdn said:

Would you recommend the ZX7 for playing in wetter area. I am in PNW and we only have dry courses 4 months out of the year. I am concerned with the turf interaction due to the sole design I may dig the ball more in wet weather

I can't imagine there being a better sole design for wet turf. The V-sole just gets through it like nothing else I have hit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2021 at 12:02 AM, bombs said:

ZX7s are solid.

The longest blade length players irons on the market. Sufficient forgiveness. 

I don't like the Modus shaft though. I play the $ Taper.

this...I have been playing the ZX7s basically all of this golf season.  Love the interaction through turf especially through the rough, but something finally admitted that the modus 120 may not be for me.  Started with modus 120s then went into 120x and tightened up dispersion but lost distance and couldn't find the center as much.  Decided to get fitted last week for a shaft and landed on $ taper 120s.  distance increased by 6+yds, spin increased by 400+ and peak heigh increased by 20ft  which is what I needed across the board to hold greens better. 

Like everyone says...get fitted to get max out of the clubs.  If you are chasing feel and forgiveness, IMO this is $.  Just make sure you get the right shaft.  

10 played at 9.25 TSI2 w/ Ventus Black 6x

16.5 degree TSI2 w/ Ventus Blue 7x

19 degree Sim Max Hybrid w/ Ventus Blue 8x/ZXU 3 Recoil 95 f5

ZXU 4 w/ Recoil 95 F5

5-p ZX7 Nippon Modus 120x 

SM8 52f/56S/60D 

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0, Sik Flo w/ LAGolf Shaft, Toulon Las Vegas, Special Select Newport 2 custom, Bettinardi Queen B 6

8 hours ago, gsxrdn said:

Would you recommend the ZX7 for playing in wetter area. I am in PNW and we only have dry courses 4 months out of the year. I am concerned with the turf interaction due to the sole design I may dig the ball more in wet weather

I played through our wet winter months with the 765's which have a similar sole. They worked a treat. It was fun to see the nice, shallow rectangular divots I left in the fairways. In the past I was always worried about splashing mud all over my ankles. The V-sole is awesome. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

9 hours ago, gsxrdn said:

Im in Louisiana where it is always wet.  Gets through the wet turf with ease. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

Chrome Tour 

22 minutes ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

Im in Louisiana where it is always wet.  Gets through the wet turf with ease. 

IN Georgia in the winter with all the grass dormant it gets wet here.  I have had no problem with the ZX7 or previously the 45 or 65's before them(I never played the 85's).

I will also say that I traveled to Scotland, where it is notoriously not soft and I had no trouble with the 65's when I was there either.  In the summer in Georgia it often gets firm as well, and I have never had an issue.  Where they have really shined for me is in the wet, they are so much better than any other sole I have tried.  In the dry they are good as well, but not as great as they are in the wet.

There is just something about the V-sole.  I know steep and shallow players that love it.  I also know steep and shallow players that didn't like it, however the players that I know that didn't like it is much lower than those that did.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

17 hours ago, me05501 said:

I played through our wet winter months with the 765's which have a similar sole. They worked a treat. It was fun to see the nice, shallow rectangular divots I left in the fairways. In the past I was always worried about splashing mud all over my ankles. The V-sole is awesome. 

You got off lightly.  When I make a splash I wear it all over my face! 

• Like 4

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

On 8/21/2021 at 4:42 AM, kiwihacker said:

You got off lightly.  When I make a splash I wear it all over my face! 

If you've played enough in Florida off wet Bermuda grass you learn that you have to close your eyes before you take a divot.  Can't tell you how many times I've had dirt in my eyes from a divot. 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, denkea said:

If you've played enough in Florida off wet Bermuda grass you learn that you have to close your eyes before you take a divot.  Can't tell you how many times I've had dirt in my eyes from a divot. 

I wear glasses so at least I have eye protection. Just have to clean the dirt off my glasses as well as cleaning my iron. Lol. 

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

Friends say I change irons more than they change their underwear 🙂.  I have right at 50 rounds with these.  I replaced a set of TM P770's with these and was very pleased from day 1.  My HC had ballooned, but now back to where I think it should be.  The irons have been a big part of the return to normalcy.  They are consistent in every way, they let you know where you hit them without ever being harsh, and I picked up some legitimate distance with them.

I went with the PW-7i in the ZX7 and the 6i and 5i in the ZX5.  If to do over again, probably the ZX7 throughout.  The ZX5 may give a little extra oomph but the wider sole bothers me a little.

If choosing again after 50 rounds, I would stay Srixon 7X7.

• Like 1

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

great pics thx for posting. If you didnt like the Modus 120 shaft, give the Modus 105 shaft a try. I hated the 120, but love the 105

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

• easyyy featured this topic
19 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

great pics thx for posting. If you didnt like the Modus 120 shaft, give the Modus 105 shaft a try. I hated the 120, but love the 105

Funny that you mention that.. I found the same with my other sets of Srixons (z945's, z765's) I even had Srixon reshaft my z945's from DG S300's to Modus3 Tour 105s.. I might need to send in my ZX7's for a reshaft, or order a new set with 105s in them and sell off the 120s set..

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jjones519a said:

these irons are amazing

Super forgiving.

I love them.   I don't like the feeling of the shafts though.   Going either DG120 or $taper and they will be perfect (also adding gap wedge)

Is the gap wedge more blade like or iron like?

I’d say the ZX4s are super forgiving. The 7s are fairly forgiving considering the category they are in. But hey, everyone’s opinion varies 😊

5 hours ago, cadman88 said:

Funny that you mention that.. I found the same with my other sets of Srixons (z945's, z765's) I even had Srixon reshaft my z945's from DG S300's to Modus3 Tour 105s.. I might need to send in my ZX7's for a reshaft, or order a new set with 105s in them and sell off the 120s set..

the 120s were awful for me, the 130 were better, but the 105s was just perfect. I tried everything and Modus 105 won easily

• Like 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Mine are two weeks old. The KBS $ 120 are fine in the 7-AW. Little bit two stout for me in the long irons. In true wrx fashion, they are already post in the classifieds 

• Haha 1

TM M2 9.5 Aldila Tour Green 65X
TM M1 3hl Aldila Tour Blue 75TX
Ping Anser 20* hybrid UST VTS silver 100S
Ping I200 4-UW Z-65
Ping I-15 4-UW Z-Z65
Cleveland RTX 3 54* and 58*
Odyssey Two ball Fang
Ping Hoofer 2014

On 8/23/2021 at 8:56 PM, kepeollie said:

It’s 100% blade. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

100% muscle back to be more accurate. If it was a blade the sole would be about half as wide. 🙂

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Love mine!

Handicap at season low now at 5.8 despite being at a new club with small difficult greens.

They feel like butter look great at address and have just the right amount of forgiveness.

Right now only playing 6-pw as my longest iron is a 5 which I use from my old 5 series set.

Debate going back and forth with the 6 too. Not so much due to forgiveness but The 6 from my 565 irons  has a lighter slightly softer shaft and I hit it 5-7 yards longer which matches better with 2 par 3's on  my 2 home courses

• easyyy unfeatured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

I have finally dropped the zx4 in the 4 iron i had.  There was too much offset in it between th zxu 2 iron and the zx5 in 5 iron.  I added a zx5 in the 4 iron and it is a much better transition.  If i didn’t play the zxu it would have been fine but with each club on either side having less oddset, it just wasn’t meant to be.

still love the zx7 in 6-PW.  I didn’t like the zx7 AW though, i don’t really like the squarish PW a ton and may swap it as well.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

7 hours ago, driveandputtmachine said:

I have finally dropped the zx4 in the 4 iron i had.  There was too much offset in it between th zxu 2 iron and the zx5 in 5 iron.  I added a zx5 in the 4 iron and it is a much better transition.  If i didn’t play the zxu it would have been fine but with each club on either side having less oddset, it just wasn’t meant to be.

still love the zx7 in 6-PW.  I didn’t like the zx7 AW though, i don’t really like the squarish PW a ton and may swap it as well.

How do you like the ZX7 6-iron compared to your ZX5 5-iron? Any thoughts of going ZX5 in the 6-iron too, or is the ZX7 forgiving and long enough in the 6-iron?

I’ve got an order in right now with Srixon for ZX7 6-PW to combo with my ZX5 4 and 5-irons, but have been going back & forth on whether to do ZX5 or ZX7 in the 6-iron.

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Big Bertha 23 (19*) / Cally RCH 65 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland CBX (48*), RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 hour ago, BallerNate said:

How do you like the ZX7 6-iron compared to your ZX5 5-iron? Any thoughts of going ZX5 in the 6-iron too, or is the ZX7 forgiving and long enough in the 6-iron?

I’ve got an order in right now with Srixon for ZX7 6-PW to combo with my ZX5 4 and 5-irons, but have been going back & forth on whether to do ZX5 or ZX7 in the 6-iron.

Maybe this will help even more.    I have a ZX7 in the 5 iron.  The reason I play the ZX5 instead of the ZX7 is that the ZX5 hits my launch and spin windows better than the ZX7.  Sure, the ZX5 is more forgiving, and I think where it really begins to show is at the 5 iron.   I hit my spin and launch window in my ZX7 in the 6 iron, and it is plenty forgiving.  I have hit the ZX5 in the 6 iron and it is more forgiving, but at that loft it is not a ton of difference, for me and YMMV.

I am a pretty decent stick, my iron play used to be my weak link, now it is not.  It is NOT because of the Srixon's alone, but they are part of the equation as since switching my SG approach has gone up by over almost 3/4 of a shot per round and I am hitting almost 13 greens per round with an average GIR approach of 20feet and all approach distance of 39 feet. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, driveandputtmachine said:

Maybe this will help even more.    I have a ZX7 in the 5 iron.  The reason I play the ZX5 instead of the ZX7 is that the ZX5 hits my launch and spin windows better than the ZX7.  Sure, the ZX5 is more forgiving, and I think where it really begins to show is at the 5 iron.   I hit my spin and launch window in my ZX7 in the 6 iron, and it is plenty forgiving.  I have hit the ZX5 in the 6 iron and it is more forgiving, but at that loft it is not a ton of difference, for me and YMMV.

I am a pretty decent stick, my iron play used to be my weak link, now it is not.  It is NOT because of the Srixon's alone, but they are part of the equation as since switching my SG approach has gone up by over almost 3/4 of a shot per round and I am hitting almost 13 greens per round with an average GIR approach of 20feet and all approach distance of 39 feet. 

That helps a lot, thanks very much! Wow, 13/18 GIR is phenomenal…I’d be pumped with that too!

Yeah, I originally ordered a ZX5 6-iron, then changed my order to ZX7 in that spot because I’ve been hitting some pretty nice shots with my Z 785 6-iron and started thinking that a 6-iron is probably still more of an accuracy club than a distance club.

The Z 785’s are just really punishing on mishits, so that’s why I was thinking about needing forgiveness in the 6-iron, but seems like everyone says the ZX7’s are much more forgiving than the 785’s, so hopefully won’t be an issue.

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Big Bertha 23 (19*) / Cally RCH 65 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland CBX (48*), RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

18 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

That helps a lot, thanks very much! Wow, 13/18 GIR is phenomenal…I’d be pumped with that too!

Yeah, I originally ordered a ZX5 6-iron, then changed my order to ZX7 in that spot because I’ve been hitting some pretty nice shots with my Z 785 6-iron and started thinking that a 6-iron is probably still more of an accuracy club than a distance club.

The Z 785’s are just really punishing on mishits, so that’s why I was thinking about needing forgiveness in the 6-iron, but seems like everyone says the ZX7’s are much more forgiving than the 785’s, so hopefully won’t be an issue.

12.6, but I am rounding up.  LOL

I tried the 85's but at the time was in a groove with my 65's so I did not switch.

comparing the 765 6 iron the the ZX7 6 iron it is no contest on which is more forgiving, it is the ZX7.  Also I had the 65's with the 6 iron I had both the 5 and 7 series.  The ZX7 isn't much less forgiving than the 565 when I compared the 6 irons.

image.png.21e623b587bcea6747f7c011c47636ea.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, driveandputtmachine said:

12.6, but I am rounding up.  LOL

I tried the 85's but at the time was in a groove with my 65's so I did not switch.

comparing the 765 6 iron the the ZX7 6 iron it is no contest on which is more forgiving, it is the ZX7.  Also I had the 65's with the 6 iron I had both the 5 and 7 series.  The ZX7 isn't much less forgiving than the 565 when I compared the 6 irons.

image.png.21e623b587bcea6747f7c011c47636ea.png

Distance wise, though, seem about the same, correct?  Were you ever in the Z745?