2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Srixon ZX7 Long Term on Course Reviews Please

Jjones519a

1 hour ago, driveandputtmachine said:

12.6, but I am rounding up.  LOL

I tried the 85's but at the time was in a groove with my 65's so I did not switch.

comparing the 765 6 iron the the ZX7 6 iron it is no contest on which is more forgiving, it is the ZX7.  Also I had the 65's with the 6 iron I had both the 5 and 7 series.  The ZX7 isn't much less forgiving than the 565 when I compared the 6 irons.

image.png.21e623b587bcea6747f7c011c47636ea.png

Amazing…this helps Big Time!! Cool, I’ll stick with my order for the ZX7 6-PW to combo with my ZX5 4-5 irons…looking forward to hitting 12.6 GIR’s too! 😉

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Big Bertha 23 (19*) / Cally RCH 65 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland CBX (48*), RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

22 minutes ago, jt2gt said:

Distance wise, though, seem about the same, correct?  Were you ever in the Z745?

Distance wise I ended up bending one or the other, but I bend every iron set I have ever played to get my yardage gaps where I want them.  3/8'" increments up from the 7 iron and 1/4" increments down puts every iron set in the mitchell.

I did play 745, but at the time I was playing a lot and only had 745's.   In comparison the zx5 and ZX7 sole design and how it gets through the turn is the most like the 745's.  The 65's were weird, but since my 45's had been stolen and I couldn't find a decent set of 45's quickly I went to the 65's.  Took a few months to get them sorted out.

It took me a few months to get used to the ZX line as the sole design is more like the 45, and from what I remember the 85 the few times I hit them on the range.  

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

• 2 months later...

One of my favorite set of irons I’ve owned, hands down.  And I’ve cycled through lots of them over the pass 2 years.  Very forgiving for their size, soft as anything I’ve ever played, great turf interaction, etc.  I can keep going.  Just a fantastic iron.  Oh, and no issues stopping the ball on greens.  

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Searching…

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

If you still want reviews, I am up to a 2 Handicap due to kids, etc. 

Played these in multiple tournaments. Amazing feel, great in the turf (I am a steep swinger and had no issues), and never had an issue working the ball either way. I have held greens I shouldn't have, especially woth long irons, and I can get a little over the top and hit the ball toward the toe and theyare very good on that miss. 

I think they blow the t100 away in terms of feel, sound and forgiveness. I think the t100 has them beat in distance control consistency, and workability (due to less forgiveness). T100 is a good iron, I prefer the srixon based on sound/feel. I hate the clicky sensation om the t100. 

Only negatives, is sometimes out of a fluffy lie in the rough the ball jumps. I mena it jumps hard. Distance control is tricky out of the rough. Thigh lies, no issues. The rough, you have to know your lie and practice. The other issue is they are a little thick on the topline and sometimes I swing them a little harder than I should. 

I love my ZX7 an while I do play blades during mid/late season I cannot see ever selling the ZX7s. They are just very dependable. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I played the stock setup all of 2021.  Iron game was amazing.

This winter of course I sold them and tried new irons - 225 Pro and 790s hoping bigger would be better.  Sold both of those fast as I had 0 spin with them and hated the feel.

Moved to T100S this year so far with mixed results.  Not sure Im good enough for them.  I might come crawling back to the stock ZX7 setup by May lol

• Like 1

2024 Bag TBD

9 minutes ago, tigerfan23 said:

This winter of course I sold them and tried new irons - 225 Pro and 790s hoping bigger would be better.  Sold both of those fast as I had 0 spin with them and hated the feel.

Moved to T100S this year so far with mixed results.  Not sure Im good enough for them.  I might come crawling back to the stock ZX7 setup by May lol

u loved them, but sold them? class wrx

• Like 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

2 hours ago, tigerfan23 said:

I've had my eye on ZX7 for a long time. Just bought Mizuno Pro 225 like you and I'm still not in love. Doing some shaft experimentation, but if I end up bailing on the Mizunos, I'll probably be in the ZX7, or a ZX7/ZX5 combo. 

Titleist TSR 1w Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TSR 3w Tour AD DI 7x

Titleist TSR 5w Tour AD DI 8x

Titleist TSR 4h Tour AD DI 9x

Titleist T150 4i-6i X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

2 hours ago, tigerfan23 said:

Sounds like 1 foot out the door on the T100S……ZX7 are $$

ZX7 in 7i-PW with modus 120 here and possibly the best irons I’ve ever played. Haven’t even bothered sniffing another set 

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Original review last June (post #7 on page one).  Nothing has changed except they have a few more character marks.  Absolutely love them.  Would consider exploring different shafts just for sh!ts and giggles but it sure is nice to have complete confidence and satisfaction in a set of irons.

As an aside, the ZX5 5i is awesome.  Allowed me to pull a hybrid from my bag.  Produces a ball flight I haven't seen from an iron in a long time.

Edited by Aviador Naval
  • Like 1

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

Have been playing them since last summer in X100. Like many others, I love the turf interaction as a steeper angle of attack player. Excellent forgiveness on thin/toe strikes and great consistency/control for distance. Coming from Mizuno blades, I'm only sacrificing a small amount in feel and virtually nothing in workability / traj control for much better forgiveness on off center strikes and better turf interaction, esp in soft conditions. 

I've had mine for over year now and don't have one negative thing to say about them.  I came from the i210s and these Srixons just work better for my swing and how I deliver the club.  A pure strike, to me, feels better than just about any club I've ever swung and the consistency across the face is pretty great.  Just a fantastic iron.  

• Like 1

Cobra LTD X

Titleist TSi2 3W

PXG Hybrid 17/22

Srixon ZX5 5 iron

Srixon ZX7  6-PW

Ping Glide Wedges 2.0 50/54/58

Mizuno M Craft I or IV

7 hours ago, TJ83 said:

I'm at a year with my 4-pw zx7s with dg x7s. Best iron set I've ever had, they feel great, toe and thin misses still hit the green, and I can hit different shots with them. Let's not forget they look great too😎 these will be in the bag for as long as they have life left in them lol

I went in to get Mizuno 225's or 223's, the 225 looks better to me but the 223 was just as easy to hit, still had plenty of forgiveness on thin on toe hits (my usual miss) and felt better on a good strike than the 225.  But then I tried the ZX5 and ZX7.  The ZX7 looked good (its hard to beat the 221 or 225 in my book) and still had plenty of forgiveness on toe and thin hits.  So I have those ordered from Club Champion.  I'm hoping for a 5 week or less delivery so they get here by my 60th bday, which is why my wife bought them for me. 🙂. So totally agree with what @TJ83 said here.  I've been worried a little about the thin sole and how they will play on the course but I've read a lot more positives than negatives so I'm really excited to get them, assuming I do.  🙂 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aramirez24 said:

Got these yesterday with the standard modus 120 S in them. Not sure I'm sold on the shaft but man these feel so good. The hype on them is warranted. IMG_4320.PNG.f079d13424725c687d5ecee10d736027.PNG

Thanks for sharing. You hit the ball pretty dang far for modus 120s. Always amazing to see how one shaft helps one person perform compared to other shafts. 

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

Just now, LeftyMatt24 said:

Thanks for sharing. You hit the ball pretty dang far for modus 120s. Always amazing to see how one shaft helps one person perform compared to other shafts. 

Good deal on B/S/T I had to jump on them. I was playing stock ping i200's with the awt stiff shafts before this. I think something x stiff in the 115-120g range would be the money spot for me. 

1 minute ago, aramirez24 said:

Good deal on B/S/T I had to jump on them. I was playing stock ping i200's with the awt stiff shafts before this. I think something x stiff in the 115-120g range would be the money spot for me. 

I’d keep what you have. Seem to be working well with gapping and dispersion v

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

3 minutes ago, LeftyMatt24 said:

I’d keep what you have. Seem to be working well with gapping and dispersion v

True but last week I went to a fitting day and they spec'd me for DG 120 x100 and I haven't stopped thinking about them since.. lol

I may end up grabbing one to test and turn the "deal" I got into them into an expensive experiment, like a true WRX'er. 

• Like 2

I am playing the zx7 4-P for the first time this year after picking up the heads virtually brand new for a steal. Switched from the Mizzy JPX tour's and so far I'm in love. Feel is great, look is classic, an turf interaction seems so be really nice (I'm a digger). The only complaint I have so far is that I have put a little bag chatter on them but it's because they were brand new lol.

I am still dialing in the yardages because the lofts are pretty strong compared to the JPX Tour's but that just takes time to re-train myself. I am playing them with the PX 6.5's and I love how easy this are to launch and throw darts. Very very happy so far.

SO much so that I may be throwing the Srixon ZX utility in the bag to replace my 790 UDI

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spartyjeff said:

I am playing the zx7 4-P for the first time this year after picking up the heads virtually brand new for a steal. Switched from the Mizzy JPX tour's and so far I'm in love. Feel is great, look is classic, an turf interaction seems so be really nice (I'm a digger). The only complaint I have so far is that I have put a little bag chatter on them but it's because they were brand new lol.

I am still dialing in the yardages because the lofts are pretty strong compared to the JPX Tour's but that just takes time to re-train myself. I am playing them with the PX 6.5's and I love how easy this are to launch and throw darts. Very very happy so far.

SO much so that I may be throwing the Srixon ZX utility in the bag to replace my 790 UDI

Highly recommend weakening 4-9 one degree. Beautiful clubs. Hit two darts with my 4i yesterday on postage stamp par 3s from 215-225. Wind doesn't affect the ball very much, beautiful penetrating flight and plenty of spin. Love these. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spartyjeff said:

Zx7 user here, just picked up a zx utility and I can't say enough about it. It's an amazing club. With the right shaft/length/swingweight it's a weapon. 

Coming from a ping g410 crossover and I longer fear the overdraw. My zx is hotmelted and it sounds and feels amazing. Highly recommend it, I'd grab one 🤙🏽😎

19 hours ago, TJ83 said:

Zx7 user here, just picked up a zx utility and I can't say enough about it. It's an amazing club. With the right shaft/length/swingweight it's a weapon. 

Coming from a ping g410 crossover and I longer fear the overdraw. My zx is hotmelted and it sounds and feels amazing. Highly recommend it, I'd grab one 🤙🏽😎

yeah just threw a new shaft in the 790 UDI and going to give that a go and get new yardages and just see what the gapping is like and will probably switch from the 790 UDI 2i to the ZX utility 3i to get batter yardage gaps

• Like 1