2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The Memorial 2021 (***ALL CONTENT SUBJECT TO MODERATION***)

MattyO1984

14 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

It was said last night that if your vaccinated that you didn’t have to test anymore.  If that’s untrue I’m just repeating it. I don’t know.  

but I wouldn’t think that being vaccinated would prevent you from being a carrier for a while if you swapped droplets with an infected person the day before.  I mean we’re either worried or not. I just can’t understand that the fence riding.  

its one or The other. He either can pass it to vaccinated folks or he can’t.  If he can’t then pair him with 2 willing vaccinated players and let him finish.  If he can pass it  , then they should be quarantined with Rahm.  

im just questioning  the tours policy and thinking. Not the virus itself.  I want to understand why one guy is DQ and others who contact him aren’t.  

Rule says the leader plays in the last group with second place ... rules are there for a reason ... players agree to the rules when they sign up for the tournament ... why is this so hard for people to understand? Rules are there so the tour is not trying to figure out how to make this work at the last second by saying "gee, who could we pair Rahm with today?" Nobody has to get the vaccine ... nobody has to avoid contact with exposure to Covid ... but players have to pay the consequences as outlined in the rules (which players agreed to) if they choose to do certain things. 

• Like 4

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

10 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Rahm just got his first shot a few days ago

Hasn’t been two weeks since he’s been fully vaccinated

Some are saying that Rahm had covid in the last few months and didn’t feel like he needed to be vaccinated in such a short time

The others that were in contact with Rahm will have to be tested to keep playing if they got within 6 feet of Jon. Rahm was in contact with someone and had tested negative until yesterday which is why he was playing until yesterday. 

I’m talking about today.  So you’re saying they tested them last night and got word before now so Colin etc could play ?   Even if that’s so. I doubt it’s accuracy.  They probably won’t show infection till around tonight , no?  Tour talking huge risks on one hand , and slamming the hammer down on another.  

I assumed they tested Rahm on Wednesday and just got word  yesterday, which is why he got to play 3 rounds.  

• Like 3

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

49 minutes ago, torbill said:

PGA rules are clear.  Vaccinated and close contact - no further tracking.  Not vaccinated and close contact - daily testing and eliminated w/positive test.  I like Rahm, a lot, but in the end he is responsible for his behavior. Rules were/are clear to all participants beforehand.  Given the rules, how does a professional player, going after very big $$, not eliminate one obvious source of financial risk?  And nobody is going to sue the PGA and win on this - dream on with that one, people.  Roll up those sleeves, PGA tour players, if you don’t want this to happen to you.   

Yep, black and white. Everyone's in control of their own actions. Rahm had to know that certain decisions could cost him big money down the line. Good luck to him going forward.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tatertot said:

Rule says the leader plays in the last group with second place ... rules are there for a reason ... players agree to the rules when they sign up for the tournament ... why is this so hard for people to understand? Rules are there so the tour is not trying to figure out how to make this work at the last second by saying "gee, who could we pair Rahm with today?" Nobody has to get the vaccine ... nobody has to avoid contact with exposure to Covid ... but players have to pay the consequences as outlined in the rules (which players agreed to) if they choose to do certain things. 

Again. I masking about the ones he’s infected going forward.  Why are they being allowed to spread it today ? 

• Like 4

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

18 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

It was said last night that if your vaccinated that you didn’t have to test anymore.  If that’s untrue I’m just repeating it. I don’t know.  

but I wouldn’t think that being vaccinated would prevent you from being a carrier for a while if you swapped droplets with an infected person the day before.  I mean we’re either worried or not. I just can’t understand that the fence riding.  

its one or The other. He either can pass it to vaccinated folks or he can’t.  If he can’t then pair him with 2 willing vaccinated players and let him finish.  If he can pass it  , then they should be quarantined with Rahm.  

im just questioning  the tours policy and thinking. Not the virus itself.  I want to understand why one guy is DQ and others who contact him aren’t.  

If you are vaccinated you can still get it  (probably milder symptoms) and stiull pass it along. A friend of mine had both shots for some time, went on a gof trip with 7 other guys. Three of them weren't vaccinated. My friend felt fa=tigued the whole time and had pre-booked a Covid test for the end of the trip as a precaution. Yup he had it, and six of the eight guys tested positive.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, tatertot said:

I agree. It’s just bad luck if Rahm recently had covid and didn’t get the vaccine because the CDC says it’s unlikely to happen to you if you recently had it. With that said, Rahm still could have and should have received the vaccine. Maybe he got a variant that covid immunity can’t protect him from and a vaccine would have. 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

43 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Again. I masking about the ones he’s infected going forward.  Why are they being allowed to spread it today ? 

They've been vaccinated? Rules say once you've been vaccinated, exposure isn't an issue.

28 minutes ago, Kilo1545 said:

I think every understands the point you’re making, that the rules are the rules.  

The issue being raised is that the rules don’t make sense and/or they’ve already made exceptions to them and therefore the “just following the rules” excuse no longer holds water.  

They allowed him to finish playing the 3rd round while knowing he had a positive test. If it’s unsafe for him to play today, then it was unsafe for him to be playing 13-18 yesterday (or whatever hole he was on when the positive test result came back).

As someone said several pages back, they should have sprinted out onto the course and removed him immediately.  The fact that they didn’t means what...?

It’s like being pregnant.  You can’t be half pregnant; you are or you aren’t.  COVID-19 is either so dangerous as to warrant the protocols or it’s not so dangerous that exceptions can’t be made.  And they made an exception yesterday...

Zero-tolerance/no exception policies are so that wisdom and discretion don’t have to be used, which is a good thing considering how rare those 2 things are in today’s world.  

He needed 2 positives ... they didn't get the second positive till right before they told him ... at least that's what I've heard.

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I’m just wondering why his playing partners for both rounds yesterday plus caddies aren’t quarantined too ? 

They've been vaccinated?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

26 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I’m talking about today.  So you’re saying they tested them last night and got word before now so Colin etc could play ?   Even if that’s so. I doubt it’s accuracy.  They probably won’t show infection till around tonight , no?  Tour talking huge risks on one hand , and slamming the hammer down on another.  

I assumed they tested Rahm on Wednesday and just got word  yesterday, which is why he got to play 3 rounds.  

Rahm was tested a few times this week. He got a positive Friday night or early Saturday. I bet normally a player is DQd for that if they aren’t fully vaccinated, but maybe because Rahm was in the league another sample was tested. In the meantime Rahm’s playing partners are notified to stay 6 feet away until the second test comes back. If his partners stayed 6 feet away, which it sounds like they did after not high-fiving after the hole in one, they probably don’t have to be tested. Remember, Rahm was tested this week because he had close contact with a covid positive, not just because he was merely around one. You are right that it is crazy that Rahm was allowed to keep playing Saturday, but the Tour was clearly trying to protect Jon in the lead or near it had his second test came back negative. I thought the Tour had quicker testing, like 30

minute or less testing. Guess this one took at least a few hours. 

Edited by Holy Moses
  • Like 1

Ping Vault Arna

14 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

I agree. It’s just bad luck if Rahm recently had covid and didn’t get the vaccine because the CDC says it’s unlikely to happen to you if you recently had it. With that said, Rahm still could have and should have received the vaccine. Maybe he got a variant that covid immunity can’t protect him from and a vaccine would have. 

He did? Well that’s terrible luck. But, if he got vaccinated, he’d be playing right now.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, myspinonit said:

If you are vaccinated you can still get it  (probably milder symptoms) and stiull pass it along. A friend of mine had both shots for some time, went on a gof trip with 7 other guys. Three of them weren't vaccinated. My friend felt fa=tigued the whole time and had pre-booked a Covid test for the end of the trip as a precaution. Yup he had it, and six of the eight guys tested positive.

This was my understanding too.  The vaccine doesn’t keep you from getting it. Just lessens symptoms.  And thus if you have it , you can pass it.   Which is why I question the vaccine having anything to do with the tours policy.  I think that independent of thinking that you should get the shot.  I’m simply thinking of transmission.  

• Like 2

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

11 minutes ago, Kilo1545 said:

I think every understands the point you’re making, that the rules are the rules.  

The issue being raised is that the rules don’t make sense and/or they’ve already made exceptions to them and therefore the “just following the rules” excuse no longer holds water.  

They allowed him to finish playing the 3rd round while knowing he had a positive test. If it’s unsafe for him to play today, then it was unsafe for him to be playing 13-18 yesterday (or whatever hole he was on when the positive test result came back).

As someone said several pages back, they should have sprinted out onto the course and removed him immediately.  The fact that they didn’t means what...?

It’s like being pregnant.  You can’t be half pregnant; you are or you aren’t.  COVID-19 is either so dangerous as to warrant the protocols or it’s not so dangerous that exceptions can’t be made.  And they made an exception yesterday...

Zero-tolerance/no exception policies are so that wisdom and discretion don’t have to be used, which is a good thing considering how rare those 2 things are in today’s world.  

Has the Tour ever removed a player mid-round if a positive test came back? Or is is their policy to tell the player and his group to social distance until the second test comes back positive? 

Ping Vault Arna

12 minutes ago, iutodd said:

Rickie out in 32.

-6 overall and T6.

I’d love to see him win it as a silver lining to this crap show.  Him or Scotty Scheffler. ( spelling?) 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Again, from the Tour:

Rahm has tested negative every day, but his most recent test - which was performed after the conclusion of his second round (rain delayed) and before the start of his third round - returned positive at approximately 4.20pm Eastern Time while Rahm was on the golf course. The PGA Tour's medical advisor requested a confirmatory test on the original sample, which came back at 6.05pm ET, and was also positive."

• Like 1

lots of blame to go all around but the Tour needs to look long and hard at its policy...they all rolled the dice and it came back to bite them in their rear ends

and filing a lawsuit aint gonna happen, because one would spend more on legal fees than what is trying to be recovered, and you sure as heck aren't going to sue any entity that includes Jack

6 minutes ago, 3whacker said:

lots of blame to go all around but the Tour needs to look long and hard at its policy...they all rolled the dice and it came back to bite them in their rear ends

and filing a lawsuit aint gonna happen, because one would spend more on legal fees than what is trying to be recovered, and you sure as heck aren't going to sue any entity that includes Jack

How has it bitten them? Players stayed away from Jon and they confirmed he has covid. Getting bit is taking Rahm off the course and then testing negative on the confirmation test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping Vault Arna

24 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

This was my understanding too.  The vaccine doesn’t keep you from getting it. Just lessens symptoms.  And thus if you have it , you can pass it.   Which is why I question the vaccine having anything to do with the tours policy.  I think that independent of thinking that you should get the shot.  I’m simply thinking of transmission.  

No. The most recent data has shown that once you are fully vaccinated you almost certainly can’t even get covid, rarely pass it on to others, and if you do get covid it’s highly likely that it will be mild or you won’t even know you have it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ping Vault Arna

7 minutes ago, MaximusDadius said:

I understand there are many sides to the Rahm story and people have passionate opinions but I'll just add one more. For me, the tournament is an asterisk. Rahms leaving has left a bad taste in mouth and no matter who wins, I can't help but think the best guy this week isn't taking home the trophy. 

Say what you will about the rules being the rules, but the rules ain't always right. Others have correctly pointed out the glaringly obvious hypocrisy of the PGA and why he was allowed to continue playing. I would concur. I can't help but think a lot of the TV personalities are trying to put a positive spin on this, but deep down, they know the one guy that should be out there isn't... and second best this week is going to win. 

The Tour has highly recommended that all its players get vaccinated so this scenario doesn’t occur. They are not to blame. 

• Confused 1

Ping Vault Arna

31 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

If you have the vaccine, and everyone else on tour does, they can just all play and not worry about it because, as you pointed out, it prevents you from getting sick. 

Things are complicated by some, or many it would seem, not getting it and they mood to do testing and tracing and all this crazyness. 

In Rahm case, it’s odd he got it twice? Is this really established? Really Bad luck for him there 

25 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

How has it bitten them? Players stayed away from Jon and they confirmed he has covid. Getting bit is taking Rahm off the course and then testing negative on the confirmation test.

once he tested positive on Monday, they could have DQ'd him then but to allow him to play AND keep testing him was asking for what they got...either you are clear to play or you are not

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tatertot said:

Regardless of your politics ... the PGA Tour created hard and fast rules to avoid making hard decisions in these issues, whether the player was in dead last or 6 strokes ahead. The rules are black and white for a reason. The players agreed to the rules. No outcry from players, just from social media warriors.

This exactly. This situation is the epitome of a free country. The PGA Tour is free to establish rules and policies and run their business as they see fit and accept the consequences. 
Players are free to decide whether they want to be vaccinated or not, knowing these policies and rules, and accept the consequences. 
Freedom is a beautiful thing and we should be eternally grateful for it. 
However, freedom of choice does not always mean freedom of consequence. 

• Like 2

• 1t2golf changed the title to The Memorial 2021 (***ALL CONTENT SUBJECT TO MODERATION***)
  • GwrxMod locked this topic