Golf apparel that is worth the cost

9 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

How are athletic fit different from standard fit?  Only reason I ask is because I'm 5'7 and 175 with a narrow frame but large shoulders for reference if that makes sense.  When I'm not working with my clients or on the course, you can usually find me in the gym.  I usually wear a large or medium and hate the way most shirts fit.  I find that the shirts that taper from the arm pit down fit me way better than your standard shirts that just go straight down. 

I don't find the FJ athletic fit to taper much at all.  To me, they are more like a standard fit from other brands (Puma, Adidas, etc.).  I find the FJ standard fit to be very boxy and very long with ridiculously large sleeve openings.

• Like 2

On 6/6/2021 at 5:54 PM, JunkerJorge said:

Unfortunately my Cameron and Masters PM gear are getting too big. 

I really like TASC athletic wear and I saw they are making golf stuff now. I may have to check that out. 

I got a TASC shirt in a recent Short Par 4 box.  Super comfortable, especially in hot rounds.  However; I noticed that after only 4 wears is already pilling at inside of the collar.

04CF6CBD-47A7-4CD2-958F-B5CA419518C1.jpeg

• Like 1

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

5 hours ago, Hougz79 said:

I got a TASC shirt in a recent Short Par 4 box.  Super comfortable, especially in hot rounds.  However; I noticed that after only 4 wears is already pilling at inside of the collar.

04CF6CBD-47A7-4CD2-958F-B5CA419518C1.jpeg

Thanks for the feedback. How do you like the box? I’ve shied away from it because I don’t really want branded SP4 markers and gloves and such. 

3 hours ago, JunkerJorge said:

Thanks for the feedback. How do you like the box? I’ve shied away from it because I don’t really want branded SP4 markers and gloves and such. 

I’m about ready to move on from it.  Less and less useful items and more and more returns. It’s a bit too hit or miss for me.

• Like 1

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

At my age athletic fit clothing is the last thing I'm looking or so I like FJ shirts, although their recent stuff seems to have become less generous. Also not a fan of their rain wear.

Zero Restriction makes nice clothing.

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

On 6/7/2021 at 3:05 PM, ZacR88 said:

Travis Mathew Polo's are my go to now days. Fit, quality and style is fantastic. 

I had a few of those and couldn't get the collars to look decent, even taking them out of the dryer damp and straightening them by hand.  I'm sure not going to iron them or send to the cleaners.  Any trick that you've found?  or did I just have a couple of not good ones???  

• Like 1

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

Peter Millar, RLX, JLindbergh for polos, adidas 5 pocket shorts and pants. And, really my go-to pants, Banana Republic Traveler 5 pocket pants. Love them. 

I agree about buying on sale and at Marshall’s. Most of my RLX and Peter Millar is from there. I have very expensive tastes, but don’t want to pay very expensive prices 😂😂

• Like 2

On 6/10/2021 at 4:10 PM, larryd3 said:

I had a few of those and couldn't get the collars to look decent, even taking them out of the dryer damp and straightening them by hand.  I'm sure not going to iron them or send to the cleaners.  Any trick that you've found?  or did I just have a couple of not good ones???  

Same. I like the styles and fit but their collars are among the worst. 

Edited by Volnut

On 6/10/2021 at 7:48 PM, LPSISCO said:

Peter Millar, RLX, JLindbergh for polos, adidas 5 pocket shorts and pants. And, really my go-to pants, Banana Republic Traveler 5 pocket pants. Love them. 

I agree about buying on sale and at Marshall’s. Most of my RLX and Peter Millar is from there. I have very expensive tastes, but don’t want to pay very expensive prices 😂😂

They have Peter Millar at Marshall’s? Time to give them a visit I guess. 

On 6/7/2021 at 7:35 AM, phizzy30 said:

How do you guys justify paying a premium for luxury golf clothing items?  I have nice brand name golf clothes too, but they were all gifted to me by my parents.  I will usually pick up the bargain basement stuff from Target, Old Navy or Kohls as I figure clothes eventually wear down or get holes in them anyways.  Not trying to be a dick, but I would seriously like to know. 

Your question is the answer to the OP. You get what you pay for. You figuring clothes wear down and are replaceable that quickly is because you buy bargain basement stuff.  It’s not a negative or a positive, it’s just subjective. I’d rather pay more for quality clothing that fits better and lasts longer, but that’s just me.

• Thanks 1

My favorite brand is Uniqlo because Adam Scott wears them, in addition to Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer.  My mother must have bought at least 200 shirts, jackets and kado paints for me, with customized Uniqlo logos.  My mother has big crush on Adam Scott 😀.  To me, Uniqlo produces quality clothing at affordable prices.

IMG_1063.JPG

IMG_1997.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_2053.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

• Like 2

+1 for Peter Millar and Linksoul. Also Bobby Jones. And I have 2 older polos from Ashworth that are as nice as anything I own (called Desert Dry or something like that). 

Ecco shoes. 

Lululemon ABC and Tommy Bahama Boracay pants. 

Peter Millar Salem shorts. 

And I’ll +1 Sparms for sun protection gear. 

I would say PGA TOUR Apparel "Premium" line ($25-$35 range) is a phenomenal product for the price. I love PMillar and other top brands as well, but I just can't pay $$$ for a polo. If I get lucky on the sale rack I will snatch one up from time to time.

Edited by texcellence86

SIM 10.5

Ai Smoke TD 18 | Apex UW 21

T100 4-50 | 54.S 58.T

NP2 GSS

SrixonXV Divide

I have become a Greyson snob the past 3 years.....love the fit, design, and colors.  The wife bought me a couple GFore shirts.....still deciding on these as the fit is very slim.

I belong to a private club that has Mill River pricing which essentially is 10% over cost.  We pay an upfront fee of $120-$150 at the beginning of the year.  For an equipment junkie and a clothes horse its well worth it.  The catch is that our pro shop must have accounts with the brand to have Mill River pricing.  

TM Qi10 LS 10.5* Ventus Blue 6x- Velocore
TM Stealth+ 3W- Fuji Speeder Tour X
3-5 TM P7MC  KBS Tour 130 XS

6-9 TM 23' P7MB KBS Tour 130 XS
50* & 58* MG3- Black 
Black Lab BL-1 365G 

It’s really all about finding a brand with the right fit and style you like. Most premium brands have pants/polos that you can where both on the course or out to dinner and still look good. Almost every company offers high quality polos and pants/shorts nowadays at both affordable and expensive prices. It makes no sense to buy a $100 Greyson/RLX/PeterMillar polo when a UA/Puma polo fits you better and is just as comfortable for $50 less. 

I typically splurge when it comes to outerwear and rain gear. A jacket from Galvin Green or Kjus is worth every penny and will last a long time. High quality base/mid layers that don’t hinder your swing. Probably the most overlooked piece of clothing is socks. A good pair of moisture wicking socks make a tremendous difference compared to just throwing on a pair of old everyday socks. I recommend Balega & Kentwool although there are plenty of other good options.

My 2 cents...

All of my Travis Matthew stuff has shrunk.  T's, polos, anything.  It shrinks.

Bought a bunch of Linksoul t-shirts a few months ago.  All in the same size (large).  All of them fit differently.

I have been buying and wearing adidas golf shorts and polos on the course for years and they are great.  I know it's just Adidas and all but I wear the sh*t out of them and they keep coming back for more.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for Dunning - not super expensive to start with, and they often have sales or discounts. 

And actually my Bonobos shorts have held up really well too.  

Titleist TSR3 9 - Diamana GT 60 tx

Titleist TSi3 15 - Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TS2 18 - Diamana DF 80 tx

Mizuno Pro 223 $ Taper HT 130x

Vokey SM7 50F, 55S KBS Hi Rev 2.0 135x

Vokey SM9 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 125x

Ping PLD Kushin 4/TP Mills Dale/TP Mills Nellie

Pro V1

• 3 weeks later...

No such thing as all apparel is dirt cheap to produce and even when you pay what you think is a low price  (15 to 30 bucks) for a polo there is still a ton of profit made off of clothing so you just have to understand the game and get all your basic polos at the lowest possible price and then only spend more on ones that you think are unique and really like.  Basic solid color polos can easily be had for $9 to $20 and I wouldn't pay any more than that for a one...but the unique ones I will spend more on because I paid less for the other ones.  A polo literally cost a couple dollars to make and yet you will see polos that sell for well over $100 and that is borderline lunacy. Lacoste and Hugo Boss also have the nerve to sell cotton polos for over $100 dollars and that is even further into the insanity category.  

Even when we are talking rain gear or specialty clothing...yes it should cost more, but $700 for a rain jacket is silly and in no way can be justified in my opinion unless money is just not an obstacle and you just want to pay more for something.   The mark up on apparel is absurd but such is the game and the logo on the gear is expensive as we all know!!

On 6/19/2021 at 6:19 PM, abenjami said:

My 2 cents...

All of my Travis Matthew stuff has shrunk.  T's, polos, anything.  It shrinks.

Bought a bunch of Linksoul t-shirts a few months ago.  All in the same size (large).  All of them fit differently.

I have been buying and wearing adidas golf shorts and polos on the course for years and they are great.  I know it's just Adidas and all but I wear the sh*t out of them and they keep coming back for more.

Agreed!!!!

On 6/10/2021 at 2:10 PM, larryd3 said:

Not just you, Travis Matthew quality is terrible IMO. The collar structure is an issue on all of mine, the colors fade easily, and they pill/snag quickly. 

• Like 2

Holderness and Bourne has been a new favorite for me, Peter Millar is top notch and Rhoback is also great with having a slightly more casual flair. I do struggle to get along with bottoms who because I have thick thighs, been using footjoy lightweights for awhile but want to try out some Peter Millar shorts/pants!