2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Palmetto Championship at Congaree

tiderider

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

You’d probably be surprised at how many homes there are around that could be rented via connections to that club.  And I’m talking 100 acre estates.  I’d bet they had all the players covered in advance , in the manner in which they are accustomed to being treated. 

Of course they did....this isn't the Pro bowlers tour. No offence to the pro bowlers out there.....LOL!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Looking forward to DJ getting the 4th string putter in rotation snd lighting this place up tomorrow. 🤦‍♂️

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 hours ago, NoodleSalad said:

How does Hensby still have his tour card? Hasn't won since 04, hasn't even been in a major since 07.

He doesn't have a card but in these really weak fields where a lot of people don't want to play, there are bottom feeder categories where these washed up guys can get in based on their past success. Same way Carl Pettersson, Andres Romero, Harrison Frazar, John Rollins, etc got in the field this week.

It is pretty ridiculous, wish they would get rid of whatever category that is and put in some young up and comers instead.

Edited by ClarkGrswld4
  • Like 2

Just now, ClarkGrswld4 said:

He doesn't have a card but in these really weak fields where a lot of people don't want to play, there are bottom feeder categories where these washed up guys can get in based on their past success. Same way Carl Pettersson, Andres Romero, Harrison Frazar, John Rollins, etc got in the field this week.

I do have a soft spot for some of these weak field or B-level events because you have lots of guys scraping to win to get back to regular status or to get a high finish to boost their standing in the FedEx Cup to keep their card.  It's why I always liked the "Quest for the Card" part of the old schedule and like the Korn Ferry Finals.

21 minutes ago, ClarkGrswld4 said:

yeah I get that but those five guys I listed don't have cards and have just been sitting on their couch for the past 5 months before the Tour calls them and basically says nobody wants to play this week, do you want to fill a spot? That is pretty much exactly how it works to my knowledge.

So having won on tour should mean nothing after a certain length of time?

There is a KF event going on this week as well.  Guys like Tommy Gainey stayed there because they need to work on that money list.  So your "up and comers"  are busy working on their card for next year. 

The other option is to not have a tournament, and frankly that would be incredibly short sighted, IMHO.   

7 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

So having won on tour should mean nothing after a certain length of time?  

There is a KF event going on this week as well.  Guys like Tommy Gainey stayed there because they need to work on that money list.  So your "up and comers"  are busy working on their card for next year. 

The other option is to not have a tournament, and frankly that would be incredibly short sighted, IMHO.   

1. That is my opinion anyway. Every single one of those five guys I listed are extremely unlikely to make the cut, let alone win

2. I'm not referring to the KF Tour guys, I'm saying put in some good juniors like the US Junior champ, some good college guys, etc.

Edited by ClarkGrswld4

40 minutes ago, ClarkGrswld4 said:

It is pretty ridiculous, wish they would get rid of whatever category that is and put in some young up and comers instead.

They are going down the alternate list of the PGA.  The "up and comer's" will have to step up to actually - you know - come up...😃

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ClarkGrswld4 said:

1. That is my opinion anyway. 

2. I'm not referring to the KF Tour guys, I'm saying put in some good juniors like the US Junior champ, some good college guys, etc. Every single one of those five guys I listed are extremely unlikely to make the cut, let alone win

Well I don't think any of those guys you mention are any more likely to make the cut, and you have to remember who the PGA Tour serves:  their members.  And the guys you don't think should be playing are members, whereas the people you want to see are not.  I don't think if you were Mark Hensby you would be too keen on a bunch of college players taking up spots in an event you could be playing in, put on by an org you belong to and they don't.  

Richard Bland, 48, has been on and off the European Tour for more than two decades.  477 events, no wins.  Lost his card as recently as two seasons ago I believe it was.  In his 478th event he won.  Pretty sure he would have fit your "washed up pro" description at several points in his career.    

Removing Q-school as a direct route was about closing shop, and making the lower tour more appealing to a sponsor.  There are ways in.  These guys were already in.   

Richard Bland had his card when he won so that is not what I'm referring to as a washed up pro. The five guys I've talked about haven't had cards in years but fair enough, I understand the points you guys are making.

Let me rephrase my opinion on this then...the PGA Tour should re-visit(and eliminate) the bottom categories of membership so as not to dilute their product. If I'm Monahan and John freaking Rollins is PO'd I eliminated his way to get in 3 events a year then I tell him to pound sand, nobody wants to watch you and if you want in, go play on Monday.

Obviously I'm picking on these five guys in particular but when this situation comes up, just allow five more Monday qualifiers or something that week!

Edited by ClarkGrswld4

I just got back from Congaree. Even though I live in the Low Country (Hilton Head, about 45 minutes away), this course doesn't look like anything else that I've seen in the Low Country. Very wide fairways, lots and lots of sand, no rough to speak of, but if you do wander off the fairway, you'll get caught in some sand or in some natural areas. As some have said, it reminds me more of the sand hills in the Pinehurst area than of Hilton Head.

There were not a whole lot of spectators there.

One thing that was different from any other tournament that I've attended is that there was no shuttle bus from the parking lot to the course. The parking was literally across the street from the entrance, so you just walked from the lot to the course.

A couple of observations about the players that I followed;

Some of the previous posters have mentioned Carl Pettersson. For the 3 holes that we followed him, he played poorly, mostly misses to the right. His belly was hanging over his belt. Not trying to "fat shame" him, just observing that he might not be paying as much attention to his fitness as some of the other players.

Tyrell Hatton was significantly longer than his playing partners, Ian Poulter and Matt Fitzgerald.

Likewise, Patrick Rodgers was also significantly longer than his playing partners, Mark Hensby and Josh Teater.

Edited by tomba51
  • Like 4

How bout the Australian or South African broadcasters remove their lips from Congaree’s putter head. Can’t fool us with your embellishments of amazement and gratitude..  they got a hold course ready for the pros in 90 days - big whoop. Us dumbed-down tv audiences know that they’re only so thankful because they now get a broadcast paycheck this week. Us sophisticates are done hearing about it, Trevor. 

Keith Mitchell, you’re unwatchable dude. Button up and one look and go, please, sir. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jdl said:

Getting past the shock and that's Nutz part.
I'd like to see a comparison to DJ and Brooksey's drives on the same holes.

IRCC this Wilco kid was hitting 400+ bombs on the euro tour about month or two months ago?

Callaway Paradym TD 9.5* - Fuji Blue TR 6s & New Blue Velocore+ 6s

2021 Callaway UW 17* & 21* - Fuji Red Ventus Velocore 7X
Callaway Apex TCB  4-pw - Steelfiber i110cw S hard stepped 1"

Callaway Jaws Forged TI red dots 52@50/56@55/60*& Jaws Raw Z grind 60*z, DG TI S400

2021 Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K DW
Ball: 2024 Callaway Chrome Tour X -tested, great feel & spin!

3 hours ago, ClarkGrswld4 said:

1. That is my opinion anyway. Every single one of those five guys I listed are extremely unlikely to make the cut, let alone win

2. I'm not referring to the KF Tour guys, I'm saying put in some good juniors like the US Junior champ, some good college guys, etc.

Those “good” college guys (5 of them) just got automatic KF status for the rest of the season, starting this week.

for me that’s a crock bc they’re essentially knocking guys out who are battling for their very few starts in the middle of a season. 

3 hours ago, ClarkGrswld4 said:

Richard Bland had his card when he won so that is not what I'm referring to as a washed up pro. The five guys I've talked about haven't had cards in years but fair enough, I understand the points you guys are making.

Let me rephrase my opinion on this then...the PGA Tour should re-visit(and eliminate) the bottom categories of membership so as not to dilute their product. If I'm Monahan and John freaking Rollins is PO'd I eliminated his way to get in 3 events a year then I tell him to pound sand, nobody wants to watch you and if you want in, go play on Monday.

Obviously I'm picking on these five guys in particular but when this situation comes up, just allow five more Monday qualifiers or something that week!

A lot of those bottom category players are filled with past winners who are waiting to reach 50 to get to the champs tour. They have every right to play in any event they get into because there aren’t many other options to keep their games sharp before they can play regularly on the champs tour 

I just wanna say I’m a big fan of Chesson Hadley. I followed his group a few years ago in Vegas and he couldn’t have been nicer in terms of interacting with the crowd and me personally after I gave him some props for hitting some really good shots. Plus he’s hilarious and has a great personality. Pulling for him this weekend.

On 6/10/2021 at 6:23 AM, bladehunter said:

Hey. The toilet paper is 2 ply , and the soap is complementary.  DJ has adapted to the pampered California / Florida life. Maybe it’s time for Paulina to see where he came from.  😂

Haha having seen The Great One's house at Sherwood ... might come as a bit of a shock to see ol' rural SC 😂

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

23 minutes ago, aenemated said:

Haha having seen The Great One's house at Sherwood ... might come as a bit of a shock to see ol' rural SC 😂

Yep. Especially down in the low country.  It’s no mans land between Columbia and Florence.  Great people.  But rich isn’t what youd call it.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

19 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Yep. Especially down in the low country.  It’s no mans land between Columbia and Florence.  Great people.  But rich isn’t what youd call it.  

As us NC natives say - "What's the difference between North and South Carolina? We have paved roads." haha

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept