Palmetto Championship at Congaree

tiderider

Just now, PZero said:

I was going through the OWGR and saw too many familiar names way down, while thinking many in the Top 50 weren't big names. COVID destroyed a lot of games it seems.

It did, but he was struggling before that to be fair.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

1 hour ago, manku said:

Lesson #1:  Don't expect anyone who regularly uses a hybrid/wood around the greens to win a PGA event.

I do only because I've developed the chipping yips the last few years...my friends mocked me, but it works and end up with a par putt...even if they're on the long side quite often!

It work really well for a young Tiger Woods.

Justin Rose has had quite a bit of success with it too 

• Like 1

G430 LST 9 Matrix 50M4 R Black Tie

BRNR Mini 11.5 Midr Proto 65R

Apex UW 2021 17 Smoke Black RDX 70 5.5

TSR2 21 & 24 AV Raw Blue 75R

T350 6-48 AMT Red R300

RTX Full Face Black 54 60 KBS Hi Rev 2 115

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 CH 34in SS Pistol 1.0

Srixon Q Star Tour 

2 hours ago, tatertot said:

Positive note ... really limited gallery meant no "bababooeys" or other stupid blathering. Love that about these type of layouts.

I agree. I almost said “ notice there aren’t any bababooeys with only local crowds “?  😂 Since you did I’ll second it ! 

Edited by bladehunter

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

5 hours ago, dalehead said:

Great win by Higgo. Possibly the first of many. But man, watching Hadley was painful.

He's won 3 of his last 6 tournaments, including a top 10 and a top 5. No one in the world is playing better golf than him at the moment. If he was American playing on the cookie cutter courses of the PGA tour people would be circle jerking themselves senseless.

Edited by Wormkiller
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, tatertot said:

How bad was DJ's play on 15-16 in retrospect? Pars a reachable par 4 and follows with a triple ... finishes 3 out of a playoff. 

DJ had a lot of costly plays this week.  He already got to the winning number near the end of the round Friday but started doubling and costing himself strokes after that.  He could've run away with this tournament if he avoided big numbers on his card.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wormkiller said:

He's won 3 of his last 6 tournaments, including a top 10 and a top 5. No one in the world is playing better golf than him at the moment. If he was American playing on the cookie cutter courses of the PGA tour people would be circle jerking themselves senseless.

What a delightful turn of phrase...

• Haha 3

I believe the course was outstanding. Quite a bit difference than typical PGA set up - the run offs, the minimal or non-rough rough, run off fairway into the native area’s.

They talked on TV a good bit about slope of the greens, assume that kept scoring from going too low

Also, I did not see any of the green book’s and TV said there was a lot of 3 putts this week 2x or 3x more than typical week 

Feel bad for CH, tough, but based on MC in past 9 of 11 , this will be really good in long run

• Like 2

17 hours ago, m d g said:

This was a flat-out choke. I wouldn't say that about any amateur player, but if you get paid to play the game, that was an awful performance...

Maybe.  But it wasn't like he caved to the pressure on the last couple of holes.  He just didn't have a swing in him all round.  Think I read he only hit 4 greens?

Just now, smashdn said:

If you don't think of the cash he left on the table a 400k pay day doesn't seem too bad.

No. Of course not. Plenty of positives to look at.

But this will do one of two things. Either he will look at the positives, recognize his game's coming around and continue to play well. Or he will lose all confidence in himself, start a downward spiral of self-doubt and potentially never bounce back. What will actually happen is likely somewhere in the middle but I hope he's able to reflect and take the positives. Not everyone is able to do that though.

17 hours ago, j-rob said:

That was an awful finish. CBS and the tour can’t be happy about that. 

Course was solid and deserves to be utilized in the future. But with such a weak field and a terrible finale, I doubt Congaree will get another look. 

I don't think logistics for fans will get it another event.  I liked the course.  I thought it shown well on tv and played very well.

Course got rain between third and fourth rounds and still had teeth on Sunday.  I like that.

5 minutes ago, b.helts said:

No. Of course not. Plenty of positives to look at.

But this will do one of two things. Either he will look at the positives, recognize his game's coming around and continue to play well. Or he will lose all confidence in himself, start a downward spiral of self-doubt and potentially never bounce back. What will actually happen is likely somewhere in the middle but I hope he's able to reflect and take the positives. Not everyone is able to do that though.

Harris English dropped even more spots.  I looked this am but can't recall off the top of my head but he fell a bunch.  He was only a shot off or maybe tied for lead at one point in fourth round I thought.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smashdn said:

Harris English dropped even more spots.  I looked this am but can't recall off the top of my head but he fell a bunch.  He was only a shot off or maybe tied for lead at one point in fourth round I thought.

I think Harris English will be ok. He has some recent success in the memory banks and is on a much better trajectory in the last year or so than Hadley. He can chalk it up to a "well I just didn't have it today" kind of mindset. Then again, maybe not. I certainly don't know.

7 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I really liked that the course had no tee boxes. Just mow everything the same, and move the tee markers. I don't know if that is a new practice, or a very old practice, but eliminating a mower is a great idea. Also, it was nice to see a course that really tested the players without thick, deep rough, and crazy looking greens. It looked like a course that would be fun for regular play if played from the proper length.

I liked how the bunkers were treated, no penalty for grounding. Would be great if that rule was changed, these guys are so good from the sand, regardless..

I liked how the "natural features" were implemented too, they really came into play the final round.

The fairways were noted to be "sandy", and that ball-striking was more important this week because of that. Can anyone explain why?

• Like 1

Another interesting thing about the course and the setup was a notable lack of grandstands and TV infrastructure around most of the greens.

How often on a typical broadcast do we see players using the temporary structures behind the greens as aiming lines? Most of the greens weren't surrounded by that stuff at this event, and the relatively flat terrain may have made committing to a line and distance a little challenging. 

Some of the trouble shots we saw around the greens wouldn't have been an issue if there were grandstands surrounding them. Without the grandstands in play we got to see shots played from relatively worse lies than in a typical event. 

Finally, it seemed like the tournament committee protected par by tucking the pins pretty dramatically on the weekend. Even guys who generally liked the course were probably frustrated with all the "three paces from the edge" pins on Sunday. 

• Like 2

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

1 hour ago, shanx said:

I liked how the bunkers were treated, no penalty for grounding. Would be great if that rule was changed, these guys are so good from the sand, regardless..

I liked how the "natural features" were implemented too, they really came into play the final round.

The fairways were noted to be "sandy", and that ball-striking was more important this week because of that. Can anyone explain why?

Having to be more "precise" with strike vs firmer clay based grounds......softer sandy conditions create more of the chance to hit fat......think about hitting off mats.....you really don't hit many fat shots with the firmness 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, me05501 said:

Finally, it seemed like the tournament committee protected par by tucking the pins pretty dramatically on the weekend. Even guys who generally liked the course were probably frustrated with all the "three paces from the edge" pins on Sunday. 

On one of the other event discussion someone posted the hole sheet for one of the days.  I was really struck by how many holes were cut 5 or less paces from an edge.  In that instance it struck me because maybe only 2 out of 18 were even close to what I would call not on an edge.  That crap has to get tedious.

Not only that, but in some instances I have to think that it doesn't always make it harder.  You have a much larger piece of the green to work a shot into a hole cut on one side or the other.  Cut it dead in the middle and you only have half the width if you are attempting to stay to one side or the other of the hole.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, woodriff said:

I was most impressed with this golf course. Looks fun to play. Hope in some way they use this track for another pga event. 

Highly doubt they will.  A)need to get somewhere with spectators.  B)This course is one of the ones that clicking on its name on maps does not bring you to a page that indicates things like the course, membership, etc.  That does not exist.  As a one off they scored themselves some points, but no way they give up their course on any kind of semi-regular basis.

3 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

Highly doubt they will.  A)need to get somewhere with spectators.  B)This course is one of the ones that clicking on its name on maps does not bring you to a page that indicates things like the course, membership, etc.  That does not exist.  As a one off they scored themselves some points, but no way they give up their course on any kind of semi-regular basis.

Right, it's a different kind of property. I kind of wonder what the local accommodations were like for players, caddies, families, etc. Seems like they were probably not enjoying the off-course lifestyle they're used to. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

On 6/14/2021 at 3:00 PM, golfortennis said:

They close in the summer so if there is a early June date available in the future it would work for the club

On 6/13/2021 at 5:40 PM, manku said:

Lesson #1:  Don't expect anyone who regularly uses a hybrid/wood around the greens to win a PGA event.

I do only because I've developed the chipping yips the last few years...my friends mocked me, but it works and end up with a par putt...even if they're on the long side quite often!

Against the grain, short cut bermuda is no picnic.  I get why he did it.  And he had been practicing it and doing it all week according to the talking heads.

Attempting a bump and run with a 7i brings with it a less predictable first bounce and the possibility the leading edge is caught in the grain or digs.  A 3 wood "floats" by virtue of the sole.  I wouldn't use a hybrid myself because that would be too much loft.

An odyssey two-ball chipper with about 12* of loft would be handy but no tour pro would be packing one of those.  Next best thing I guess is a choked down 3 wood.