Jump to content

The USA Ryder Cup team could be a train wreck


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

As of this writing Dustin Johnson is #1, Bryson DeChambeau is #2, Brooks Koepka is #5, and Patrick Reed is #7.

 

The top 6 on the points list are automatically in and the other 6 will be selected by team captain Steve Stricker.

 

I think it's a near certainly that DJ, Bryson, Brooks, and Reed make the team. Apparently Brooks and DJ are not getting along. Brooks vs. Bryson, need I say more? And Patrick Reed doesn't seem to get along with anyone.

 

Will this lack of unity ruin the team? I've always thought that talent wins over "getting along" but the Ryder Cup results from the last 20 years would suggest otherwise. This could be a train wreck.

 

Side note:  Could the USA possibly trade Patrick Reed for Rory Ilroy to raise its good guy ratio?  🙂

Edited by Mustard_Tiger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Mustard_Tiger changed the title to The 2021 USA Ryder Cup team could be a train wreck

First off the graphics still say 2020 and like the Olympics it will be called that as well. 
second off it’s all an act and they are professionals nothing to worry about this isn’t the 92 dream team where they shut out Isiah Thomas.

there are calming influences that will make the team like morikawa, spieth, Webb, and Xander that will improve the team dynamics.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

the calming influence will be TW as a Vice Captain and Phil as a wild card Captain's pick...the honor of playing for your country in the Ryder Cup (as opposed to the Olympics) will keep the egos in check..its unrealistic to think that 12 millionaires aren't going to bring some diva mentality to the squad, also you never know who will be playing well at that time, DJ hasn't exactly been lighting it up since he won the Masters which seems so long ago, and after this weekend's events the Rahm vs Cantlay/Morikawa match up could be interesting

 

it all makes for good drama and good TV..lets just hope we get some good golf too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The 2021 USA Ryder Cup team could be a train wreak? 

 

Remove "2021", and the statement is, unfortunately, basically accurate since 1985.  Even when we win, like in 1999, we find some way of making the moment memorable for all the wrong reasons.  I was hoping the Phil-led mutiny of Captain Watson in 2014 was the nadir, but given the history over the past 30 years, it's equally likely that we're in for a new golden age of train wreaks. 

Edited by JohnnyCashForever
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Mustard_Tiger changed the title to The USA Ryder Cup team could be a train wreck
4 hours ago, elwhippy said:

I will take your crew over Europe any time. Padraig might pick himself as some of our big names are just about invisible. Casey, Rory, Cheeseburger and not many others challenging for titles.

Really?? id take the Euro team every day of the week, Euro players may not be winning lots at the moment but the Ryder cup is not 4 rounds of strokeplay, and lets face it the US will figure some way of messing it all up, they have already started by the look of it

 

 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Sim2 MAX 9*

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Sim MAX 15*

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: SLDR 17*

Hybrid Iron: :adams-small:  DHY 21*

Irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX-921 Hot metal pro 5-GW

Wedges:   :mizuno-small: ES-21 54* & 58*

Putter:  :odyssey-small:  1W S black

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

So business as usual for the USA?

Sounds about right.  I don't think any of the past USA Ryder teams have ever gotten along.  They will either find a way to win or completely implode.  It's the same old story.  You have too many big egos and when they get together, it's the clash of the titans(insert joke).  The Euro team seems to keep it together and put aside their egos for that week.  Team chemistry only gets so far and talent usually wins out IMO. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Diamana PD 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

As of this writing Dustin Johnson is #1, Bryson DeChambeau is #2, Brooks Koepka is #5, and Patrick Reed is #7.

 

The top 6 on the points list are automatically in and the other 6 will be selected by team captain Steve Stricker.

 

I think it's a near certainly that DJ, Bryson, Brooks, and Reed make the team. Apparently Brooks and DJ are not getting along. Brooks vs. Bryson, need I say more? And Patrick Reed doesn't seem to get along with anyone.

 

Will this lack of unity ruin the team? I've always thought that talent wins over "getting along" but the Ryder Cup results from the last 20 years would suggest otherwise. This could be a train wreck.

 

Side note:  Could the USA possibly trade Patrick Reed for Rory Ilroy to raise its good guy ratio?  🙂

 

"Getting along" with a competitor is overrated in sports.  Especially pro sports.  This isn't high school.  These guys do this for a living.  They play for money.  Contrary to popular belief, deep 'friendships' on the PGA Tour aren't common.  Sure, most players maybe have a connection with a player or two based on going to the same school, being about the same age, or living in a similar area, but not really.  These guys are all about beating each other.

 

Unless you're a self proprietor, everyone has worked with at least one person who they couldn't stand.  In a large factory or office setting, you usually don't have time for any number of people.  Yet the work continues to get done.  I highly doubt Brooks Koepka is going to let personal feelings of Bryson or DJ affect how he's going to play in the Ryder Cup.  Unless you think he's going to walk up 18 with a chance to win a point for this team and say, "You know, Bryson is a d-bag....screw this.  Im not going to try and win this point."  Or a partner of Patrick Reed say, "To heck with it...I'm going to pull my tee shot OB here so Patrick can't be part of a winning point."  There's a difference between not liking an opponent and respecting an opponent.  I'm sure not many people like Patrick Reed on Tour....but I'd be willing to bet every player on Tour respects his game.  Same with Bryson.  

 

Other than the two alternate shot matches, every player who tees it up in the Ryder Cup is playing their own ball, whether its four-ball or singles.  And in the alternate shot matches you're playing half the shots.  The USA hasn't won more Ryder Cups not because of "team unity"....they've not won them because the team's best players didn't play well.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personalities are easy to manage if the team captain follows the Azinger approach of quads.  Amongst the 12 active team members, you could quarter them off if needed so that personalities don't class.  Just because you are competing on the same squad doesn't mean you need to be friends and play practice sessions together.  Brooks and Bryson wouldn't even need to be anywhere near each other all week except for photo or media requirements.  But they both would tell you they can put that aside to perform and represent the USA for a week.

Driver: Cleveland Launcher 400

3 Metal: Nike SQ Tour

2-PW: Macgregor JNP Forged

SW/LW: Titleist Vokey SM4 C-C

Putter: Mitchell

Ball: Pro-V1x Yellow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unity on a team may be a good thing, but it may not matter. The example that springs to mind is the Oakland A's of the early '70s. They won three consecutive World Series titles from '72-'74.

 

Those guys hated each other. But the key was, they hated Charlie Finley even more. It seems as though they won just to spite him, which makes no sense whatsoever : )

 

An aside: I was a young fan in those days and would go to some of the games. A few years ago I met Vida Blue, who is a friend of a friend. You will never meet a nicer or more humble person in your life.

 

If you want to read a terrific book about that team, the title is 'Dynastic, Bombastic, Fantastic: Reggie, Rollie, Catfish, and Charlie Finley's Swingin' A's.'

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JaNelson38 said:

 

"Getting along" with a competitor is overrated in sports.  Especially pro sports.  This isn't high school.  These guys do this for a living.  They play for money.  Contrary to popular belief, deep 'friendships' on the PGA Tour aren't common.  Sure, most players maybe have a connection with a player or two based on going to the same school, being about the same age, or living in a similar area, but not really.  These guys are all about beating each other.

 

Unless you're a self proprietor, everyone has worked with at least one person who they couldn't stand.  In a large factory or office setting, you usually don't have time for any number of people.  Yet the work continues to get done.  I highly doubt Brooks Koepka is going to let personal feelings of Bryson or DJ affect how he's going to play in the Ryder Cup.  Unless you think he's going to walk up 18 with a chance to win a point for this team and say, "You know, Bryson is a d-bag....screw this.  Im not going to try and win this point."  Or a partner of Patrick Reed say, "To heck with it...I'm going to pull my tee shot OB here so Patrick can't be part of a winning point."  There's a difference between not liking an opponent and respecting an opponent.  I'm sure not many people like Patrick Reed on Tour....but I'd be willing to bet every player on Tour respects his game.  Same with Bryson.  

 

Other than the two alternate shot matches, every player who tees it up in the Ryder Cup is playing their own ball, whether its four-ball or singles.  And in the alternate shot matches you're playing half the shots.  The USA hasn't won more Ryder Cups not because of "team unity"....they've not won them because the team's best players didn't play well.

Spot on.  I have clients that play at the highest levels.  I can see from their workouts that they are highly motivated and they all have that competitive fire.  It stems from ego and wanting to be the best.  Had one of my guys tell me that he respects his opponent's games and in the end he would always shake their hands after games.  Most of these guys don't let it get personal when they are out in their element. 

  • Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Diamana PD 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the day of the Zinger pod system needs to come to an end....all it breeds are different cliques, consider the personality of the person who first brought the concept to Ryder Cup teams. the Euros have beat us because they are a TEAM, they understand the concept...the US keeps using the pod system and keeps hoping for a different result...what other team sport uses a pod system and has shown success with it..by using the pod system you cater to the diva mentality, in a true team , when a manager/coach tells you that you are teaming with a certain teammate you suck it up and play your butt off

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

I'm all in on Merica but when it comes to RC, been rooting for Euro's for 3 decades. They come into it looser and they flat out enjoy the moment more than team USA. Nothing seems to have changed in that respect, so won't be surprised if the underdog Euro's take it.

 

 

Can't call Euro's underdogs, they've won 9 of the last 12 Ryder Cups.

Callaway Epic Max LS / Fuji Ventus Black 7X                  

Callaway Epic Speed 15* / Fuji Ventus Blue 8X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 50*,54*,60* / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Odyssey Versa #6




 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, J13 said:

 

 

Can't call Euro's underdogs, they've won 9 of the last 12 Ryder Cups.

Exactly, the ONLY time you could call Europe "underdogs" i suppose is when its on American soil, and even then its only about 60/40, at best

Driver: :taylormade-small: Sim2 MAX 9*

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Sim MAX 15*

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: SLDR 17*

Hybrid Iron: :adams-small:  DHY 21*

Irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX-921 Hot metal pro 5-GW

Wedges:   :mizuno-small: ES-21 54* & 58*

Putter:  :odyssey-small:  1W S black

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

I'm all in on Merica but when it comes to RC, been rooting for Euro's for 3 decades. They come into it looser and they flat out enjoy the moment more than team USA. Nothing seems to have changed in that respect, so won't be surprised if the underdog Euro's take it.

IDK if I'd call that "all in".  Seems more like flying the USA Flag and the confederate flag at the same time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 Fortinet Championship - Discussion and Links
      Please put and questions or comments here
       
       
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #7
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #8
       
       
      New Ping putter - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      New Bettinardi putters & Cover - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Ping Putters - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Cameron putter and new ball marker - 2021 Fortinet Championship
       
       
      Sneds - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Peter Uihlein - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Charles Howell, III - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Scott Piercy - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Brandan Steele - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Mito Pereira - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Kevin Tway - WITB -2021 Fortinet Championship
      Joseph Bramlett - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
       
       
       
      • 18 replies
    • 2021 Tour Championship - Discussion and Comments
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Tour Championship
      LA Golf putter shafts - 2021 Tour Championship
       
       
       
      • 25 replies
    • 2021 BMW Championship - Discussion and Links
      Put any questions of comments here
       
       
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #7
       
       
      Cameron T-11 & T-11.5 putters at 2021 BMW Championship
      Mizuno Pro FliHi and 225 irons - 2021 BMW CHampionship
       
       
       
      • 18 replies
    • 2021 Ping i59 irons & Glide Forged wedges in hand comparison pics!!!
      In hand pics of the new 2021 Ping i59 irons and Glide Forged wedges...
       

       
      Ping i59 7 iron
       

       
       
      Ping i59 PW
       

       
      Ping i59 Comparison Photos

       

       

       

       
       
       
       
      PING Glide Forged Wedges

       
      Ping Glide Eye Toe Wedge
       
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 99 replies
    • 2021 The Northern Trust - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #1
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #2
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #3
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #4
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #5
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #6
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #7
       
       
      New Cameron for JT - 2021 The Northern Trust
      New Cameron putters for Garrick Higgo - 2021 The Northern Trust
      New Odyssey putter covers - 2021 The Northern Trust
       
       
      • 6 replies

×
×
  • Create New...