The USA Ryder Cup team could be a train wreck

Mustard_Tiger

31 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

how bad they want to win the RC is debatable....LOL! Touring pros play for cash, Amateurs play for trophies and country.....Just my opinion.

Everyone has one. 

If the big name PGA tour guys didn't want to play in the Ryder Cup they would opt out like they do for the Olympics. 

The entire narrative that it doesn't matter only started sprouting up after a bunch of whooping's....Just my opinion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mcgeeno said:

Everyone has one. 

If the big name PGA tour guys didn't want to play in the Ryder Cup they would opt out like they do for the Olympics. 

The entire narrative that it doesn't matter only started sprouting up after a bunch of whooping's....Just my opinion.

It just mean that you just started watching the Ryder Cup the last 20years. No one that I know gest excited about the RC but I don't fault those that do..

1 hour ago, Titleist99 said:

It just mean that you just started watching the Ryder Cup the last 20years. No one that I know gest excited about the RC but I don't fault those that do..

I'm not super old yet so the last 20-30 years would be when I watched the Ryder cup.

Everyone I know loves to watch it and its must see TV as far as I'm concerned. 

Like you said though opinions are all different. 

10 hours ago, smashdn said:

A yogi.  

Maybe assign them all to read Golf in the Kingdom and get them aligned to the forces of the universe?

True gravity is the answer

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

1 minute ago, smashdn said:

BDC doesn't have a pretty swing.

But he has single length Baffing Spoons.  🙂

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2021 at 7:56 PM, Mcgeeno said:

US does it wrong thats why they lose almost every damn time.

Pick Webb Simpson, Kisner, Na, Danny Berger etc.

Guys who would rather die than lose a match. Not dudes grinding a paycheck and hoping for a top 12 or already have it all settled in life. 

This ^^^

US team needs to stop being a good ol’ boys club if they want to change the record.

• Like 1

How to play golf.
Hit the ball.
Find the ball
Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
Have fun.
...Chuck Hogan

9 hours ago, zonadub said:

This ^^^

US team needs to stop being a good ol’ boys club if they want to change the record.

Yeah I think the team is already stacked with enough bombers for this big track. Its time to think differently and build a team to win not a team full of the top ranked individuals.

Kisner and Na would help the locker room. They putt the lights out of it and mesh up skill wise with dudes like BDC and Koepka. Nobody is beating down the door to play with those guys IMO. Spieth is a shoe in and pairs well with a few guys like JT. Webb is the other guy I would pick who has had a ton of match play success and rises to the occasion. Has had a good year. Playing well lately...

If you keep doing what you always do you get what you always get. 

Watch them pick Finau who hasnt had a top ten since May or Kokrak who is in the same boat. Mickelson due to "experience" even though he's had a mostly terrible and inconsistent season. 

Edited by Mcgeeno

Stricker needs to ignore any calls to pick Mickelson who has been nothing but a destructive figure in the US team for the last few events and just let the likes of Morikawa, Schauffele, Thomas & others shine as the long term future stars of the team. 

The likes of Spieth & Reed will definitely receive picks imo. English & Berger would be the other two guys that I feel should fill out the team. 

I personally can not see the European team winning this time around without another miracle at Medinah performance.      

WITB

default_titelist-small.jpg 

TSR3 10 DR
TSi2 15 FW

TSi3 18 HY
U.500 (3 & 4)
620 MB (5-PW)
Vokey Spin Milled 54 & 60
Scotty Cameron Tour Rat Concept 1

Phil doesn't need to be playing on the team. He should be a co-captain. I wouldn't consider his year "terrible" though. Wining a major immediately elevates anyone's year beyond "terrible". Sheesh 🙄 

if I was picking today it would be:

Speith, Schauffele, Reed, Cantlay, Simpson and Scheffler. If Reed can't go take a flyer on Zalatoris. For whatever reason I'm not sold on English even though he's been playing well. Would love to see some young blood like Zalatoris and Scheffler. I know people don't like Reed but I do. He deserves a spot even though he wasn't great in France.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanoCanuck said:

Phil doesn't need to be playing on the team. He should be a co-captain. I wouldn't consider his year "terrible" though. Wining a major immediately elevates anyone's year beyond "terrible". Sheesh 🙄 

T44

CUT

CUT

T55

CUT

T53

CUT

T35

T25

CUT

T21

CUT

CUT

T62

T61

T74

CUT

T17

CUT

That is a pretty bad year.

• Like 1

Doesn't matter who the Europeans plug in there at the RC i.e. Molinari/Fleetwood....they become Ben Crenshaw on the putting greens and the Americans can't make a six footer to save their souls. I think that they need to put a little cash on the line. I don't watch it because of the same familiar core of people RC after RC...

Edited by Titleist99
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, MUNIGRIT said:

Kisner is one of my favorite players but he has said it himself that very few PGA courses fit him anymore because of the length. Whistling Straights is one of those type of courses.

The host team captain has a hand in course setup so the length there could be abated a bit, but yeah the same setup that benefits DJ, Brooks and Bryson would not be a good setup for Kisner. 

I think it's gotten to where the American side puts too much importance on this event. I think they'd play better if they were looser throughout the whole experience. 

Edited by me05501

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

17 hours ago, MUNIGRIT said:

Kisner is one of my favorite players but he has said it himself that very few PGA courses fit him anymore because of the length. Whistling Straights is one of those type of courses.

I think the difference here is he said that from a stroke play perspective having to beat 140+ players over four rounds.

When you have one guy or you and a team mate have only two other guys you need to beat the whole course thing is less of an issue than it is over four rounds of stroke play vs. 140 other players.

Plus match play and stroke play are very, very different.  When you are playing one guy and drain a 15-20 footer for par in a match play 18, vs, making a 15-20 footer playing against the whole field, the difference to your opponents psyche is amazing.

Edited by driveandputtmachine
  • Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

4 hours ago, driveandputtmachine said:

I think the difference here is he said that from a stroke play perspective having to beat 140+ players over four rounds.

When you have one guy or you and a team mate have only two other guys you need to beat the whole course thing is less of an issue than it is over four rounds of stroke play vs. 140 other players.

Plus match play and stroke play are very, very different.  When you are playing one guy and drain a 15-20 footer for par in a match play 18, vs, making a 15-20 footer playing against the whole field, the difference to your opponents psyche is amazing.

I get what you are saying but back to my point iint. Its not a good track for Kis.  He has had his teeth kicked in there and those type of courses in the US. It is just too much golf course for him. He knows it and would admit the same.

These guys need not like each other but it is important that they not antagonize each other and it is even more important that they agree upon and commit to the goal of winning and act as a team rather than individuals in doing so. Who knows what could happen?

Some might suggest, "of course they agree upon and are committed to the goal of winning", but I would suggest some in the past likely have been more committed to playing/competing than winning, never thinking the two might not be congruent in the moment.

Talent is diverse, sure, but on any given day the best and worse player might not be that far apart and may in fact be close enough for an intangible to make a difference. No amount of Old Cuss, however, will ever defeat an American or European team, even if theoretically the probability of such is not 0, zero (i.e., winning probability = 0). Playing is behavior and behind it are attitudes and values that one can dismiss as irrelevant, of course, but there is a science to it, even if the dynamics of such are not always understood or as direct as one would hope; nonetheless it is still operative as is the old notion of behavior being a function of the individual (e.g., talent, knowledge, attitudes, values) and the environment (e.g., team, course, competition, weather).

I think back to my high school days when the baseball coach spoke of teamwork, a positive thing, and I further think back to my high school math teacher who had no interest in baseball - and my coach had none in algebra other than "at most two beers tonight, boys, while we are in training (2x = OK)."*

I learned in math that x² > x, thus y² > y, too (and I also learned when it came to math to be near a pencil sharpener and eraser - not unlike golf?). Gotta start somewhere but now they do this in upper grammer school! Then I learned that (x+y)² > x² + y² by 2xy. Get the WRX STEM/STEMP folks to provide the deep insights into these concepts. Big guy, x², mostly beats little guy, x, but given some contexts, little guy, x, might just might sling a nasty rock (with some additional xy mojo). RC sometimes is that context. Can't say how much of 2xy is teamwork, but seems such can't be dismissed out-of-hand when considering RC competitions of the immediate decades. 

Europeans et al. on paper have not in general (more in an absolute than relative sense) been as strong as Americans, but they have been winning. Teamwork a factor? Likely. Maybe. Ruling it out might be harder than ruling it in, however. Given this, if teamwork is thought to be an important factor, develop it, if only to neutralize that of the other side. Then let the talent speak for itself holding teamwork constant.

Second if 2xy is then added for both sides, such improves the otherwise performance of both sides and who really cares who wins if superb golf is played by all? Don't we all win when such is the case? "Did that just happen?!" That such is not experienced as positively by the players of  the losing side in the present is granted but it seems not to be case for the future after memories have been tempered by introspection, perspective, and full acceptance of the values of the competition.

Old Cuss

* No, it was not legal for all, only some, but, well, you know.

16 minutes ago, mosesgolf said:

What else is new?  Aren't we 2-8 in the last 10?  We always have the stronger team on paper but can't win.  What else is different now?

we have the stronger INDIVIDUALS, but to suggest they are a TEAM, not hardly...How many separate jets does the US team use to get to Whistling Straits....outside of the guys that live in Jupiter Fla. how many of the team guys hang out together during their off weeks. We are asking 12 guys who have made in excess of 2M in the last two years to be compadres for a week in Sept...what could go wrong LOL

Azinger's team with AK was freaking awesome.  Loved it when AK showed Sergio who's the boss.  US would've won more Ryder Cups if AK was healthy and still playing.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

6 hours ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

I think Stricker should dump chemistry on its head. Pair Bryson with Brooks, Reed with Spieth, and make a captain's pick for Will McKenzie and pair him with DJ.

Don't forget pairing Tiger and Phil...Hal Sutton

Bryson/Brooks would be a horrible pairing as they can't possibly be more opposite in terms of rhythm.  Reed/Spieth? Is Reed going to make it.  He's most likely not on the team.

I'm with you though on dumping the chemistry thing... At least, no need to talk about it.  Chemistry is important, but let it flow naturally.  With RC, I get the feeling Team Europe just has a few beers (some of them wine snobs), and before the night ends, the team captain stands up with cocktail napkin and pen in hand and says "alright everybody, quiet down a minute...now who's playing with who?". 10 minutes later there's your matchups for the week.

Meanwhile, Team USA captain is crunching numbers on Callaway's AI supercomputer, consulting with Jordan, Obama, Tiger, Jay-Z, blocking Phil's calls/texts, and asking Tim Cook and Neil deGrasse Tyson to say a few words.

I'm not a fan of either DeChambeau or Koepka....however, I think DeChambeau will totally get into the Ryder Cup....Koepka will not give 2 s***ts, and look at it like Tiger did....as some kind of an exhibition.  I have thought for years that Kisner is the poster child of the kind of player you want....and to a slightly lesser extent, give me Charlie Hoffman.....the players would love him, and he is so steady and even keeled.....not to mention talented.  

On 6/7/2021 at 8:40 AM, JaNelson38 said: