The USA Ryder Cup team could be a train wreck

Mustard_Tiger

How many pics do we have now ?  Plus one for Brooks if he can’t go.  I hope we see Reed , Na and Kisner picked at least.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Finau, Schauffele, Spieth, English, Berger, and Na would be my picks. What about Reed? He's hated by his teammates. He's played ok but not spectacularly recently. He's played terribly in his last two team events (2-5-0). You want a short driver with a good short game and putting, go with Na instead. Na is just a little hotter right now. 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

10 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

How many pics do we have now ?  Plus one for Brooks if he can’t go.  I hope we see Reed , Na and Kisner picked at least.  

Stricker has 6 captain's picks, while Harrington only has 3. 

• Thanks 1

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

2 hours ago, bubbagump said:

Just chuck him with Cantlay.  Bryson can gripe and complain his way around, and Cantlay will just maintain status quo and operate forward.  Bonus points for pairing Cantlay's putter with Bryson off the tee.  

Cantlay played real well with Xander at the Presidents Cup, so I like that pairing. Put Na and Bryson together. 

• Like 1

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I really like what Stricker did with Phil. He didn't bend to the pressure to let Phil on. I'm hoping that Stricker makes another good call and leaves Reed off. There's too much drama with this team already, and Reed's isn't playing well enough to merit him and his baggage. 

• Like 1

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Just now, Holy Moses said:

I really like what Stricker did with Phil. He didn't bend to the pressure to let Phil on. I'm hoping that Stricker makes another good call and leaves Reed off. There's too much drama with this team already, and Reed's isn't playing well enough to merit him and his baggage. 

Eh. I’d argue that he will out play DJ , Brooks , and Bryson.   I’d bet on it in fact.    He just shows up for that event.  He’s 7-3-2 overall.  Dj I think is 7-9-0.    And I am a DJ fan.  But we will see.  

I don’t think there’s a chance he doesn’t pick Reed with 6 maybe 7 picks if Brooks doesn’t play. 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

6 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Finau, Xander, and Spieth are locks imo. I love Kiz but Whistling Straits is 7500 yards. I don't think it's a good idea to pick a guy who's 167th in driving distance for such a long course. 

2 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Eh. I’d argue that he will out play DJ , Brooks , and Bryson.   I’d bet on it in fact.    He just shows up for that event.  He’s 7-3-2 overall.  Dj I think is 7-9-0.    And I am a DJ fan.  But we will see.  

I don’t think there’s a chance he doesn’t pick Reed with 6 maybe 7 picks if Brooks doesn’t play. 

7-3-2 career Ryder Cup record is top shelf for Americans lately, but again Reed was terrible in his last two team events and he's not lighting PGA Tour fields on fire right now. Don't forget how badly Reed pissed off his teammates after Paris in 2018. Na or Kisner can perform just as well and they don't bring the baggage that Reed brings. 

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

4 minutes ago, PHILsThemannnn said:

Finau, Xander, and Spieth are locks imo. I love Kiz but Whistling Straits is 7500 yards. I don't think it's a good idea to pick a guy who's 167th in driving distance for such a long course. 

I've thought about that too. It's an issue for Na and Kisner and Reed who are all short hitters. Who are the better driving options? Kokrak and Scheffler and Burns. I just don't trust those guys under pressure like Na and Kisner who are veterans, even if not Ryder Cup veterans. 

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Just now, Holy Moses said:

7-3-2 career Ryder Cup record is top shelf for Americans lately, but again Reed was terrible in his last two team events and he's not lighting PGA Tour fields on fire right now. Don't forget how badly Reed pissed off his teammates after Paris in 2018. Na or Kisner can perform just as well and they don't bring the baggage that Reed brings. 

Yep. But i think that’s the USA issue. They all worried about being butt hurt , instead of worrying about winning.  Reed is a winner. So is Na. So is Kisner.  No quit on either.  Spieth. I love the kid. But he’s shaky.  Xander is a good pick.  Finau , I also like as a person.  But he lacks the win at all costs mindset.  And his putter isn’t exactly tried and true yet.  

not trying to fight about it. I just am to the point that if the Americans don’t start playing to win , instead of showing up to take Instagram pics and start girl spats on the plane etc , I’m going to just buy a European hat and swap sides.   In my opinion Reed doesn’t bring baggage.  He brings much less BS than most.  

• Thanks 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

35 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Yep. But i think that’s the USA issue. They all worried about being butt hurt , instead of worrying about winning.  Reed is a winner. So is Na. So is Kisner.  No quit on either.  Spieth. I love the kid. But he’s shaky.  Xander is a good pick.  Finau , I also like as a person.  But he lacks the win at all costs mindset.  And his putter isn’t exactly tried and true yet.  

not trying to fight about it. I just am to the point that if the Americans don’t start playing to win , instead of showing up to take Instagram pics and start girl spats on the plane etc , I’m going to just buy a European hat and swap sides.   In my opinion Reed doesn’t bring baggage.  He brings much less BS than most.  

Reed is not a winner lately. He's been crap in his most recent team events. Captain America lost his mojo. 

Tony Finau was 2-1-0 in France. One of the US's only bright spots in 2018. It's hard to beat PGA Tour fields. It's a lot easier beat 1 or 2 opponents. Tony's distance is needed at Whistling Straits and he's essentially a lock because of how well he's been playing. 

There's really only 1-2 real question marks. Pick two of Berger, Reed, Na, and Kisner. 

Edited by Holy Moses
  • Like 1

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

8 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

He brings much less BS than most.  

You can say that you want Reed because of his career record, but you can't say that he doesn't bring baggage. They need a 787 to hold his baggage. 

• Like 1

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

12 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

spacer.png

Edited by bubbagump

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

1 minute ago, bubbagump said:

spacer.png

😂  Now you know I’m not.       Making too much sense.   The us team is in shambles.  We all know it. Too many “ world #1s” with loosing or near loosing records running around on it.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

6 minutes ago, bubbagump said:

spacer.png

Drunk enough to say that Spieth is shaky. 7-5-2 in Ryder Cup action, a better OWGR than Reed, 3 majors, and 12 PGA Tour wins. If that's shaky, I don't know what smooth is. 

Edited by Holy Moses
  • Like 1

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

9 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Reed is not a winner lately. He's been crap in his most recent team events. Captain America lost his mojo. 

Tony Finau was 2-1-0 in France. One of the US's only brought spots in 2018. It's hard to beat PGA Tour fields. It's a lot easier beat 1 or 2 opponents. Tony's distance is needed at Whistling Straits and he's essentially a lock because of how well he's been playing. 

There's really only 1-2 real question marks. Pick two of Berger, Reed, Na, and Kisner. 

I guess we shall see.  But if they pick finau , Berger, And leave off Kisner and Reed , I predict a huge loss.    I’d personally take Phil over Berger and I’m not advocating for Phil to be picked.   

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Drunk enough to say that Spieth is shaky. 7-5-2 in Ryder Cup action, a better OWGR than Reed, 3 majors, and 12 PGA Tour wins. If that's shaky, I don't know what smooth is. 

Lol.  Come on man.  No person here has defended Spieth more than me. Go read the Spieth hate thread. I’m just saying right now he’s either 65 or 75.  No consistency.     With 6 or 7 picks he may get picked by me. But it’s after NA and Kisner for sure.  Probably after Reed.  If I’m ranking them.  Na is playing like a possessed man.  If they don’t pick him I’m out.  Loll 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

😂  Now you know I’m not.       Making too much sense.   The us team is in shambles.  We all know it. Too many “ world #1s” with loosing or near loosing records running around on it.  

None of what you said made sense.   From the US not wanting to win, to Reed having no baggage, to "loosing". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

1 minute ago, bladehunter said:

I guess we shall see.  But if they pick finau , Berger, And leave off Kisner and Reed , I predict a huge loss.    I’d personally take Phil over Berger and I’m not advocating for Phil to be picked.   

Phil had one good tournament this year and has been just terrible at the Ryder Cup. Berger is far more consistent. Phil's best stat is his SG:Putting and he's 116th! 18-24-7 is his Ryder Cup record. 

The Ryder Cup won't be won or lost based on the last 1 or 2 captains picks, but I still don't want Reed near this team. 

• Like 1

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

3 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Lol.  Come on man.  No person here has defended Spieth more than me. Go read the Spieth hate thread. I’m just saying right now he’s either 65 or 75.  No consistency.     With 6 or 7 picks he may get picked by me. But it’s after NA and Kisner for sure.  Probably after Reed.  If I’m ranking them.  Na is playing like a possessed man.  If they don’t pick him I’m out.  Loll 

No consistency? You're never going to guess who is T-2 on Tour this year in top-10s. Yes, Jordan Spieth is. 

• Like 1

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

The interesting thing will be whether they will have some covid substitutes in case someone tests positive. I could see both teams getting two extra players. Has the PGA decided if they will have covid substitutes because there was some talk of it a few weeks ago?

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

32 minutes ago, bubbagump said:

None of what you said made sense.   From the US not wanting to win, to Reed having no baggage, to "loosing". 

Losing. Nobody likes the spelling po-lice. Come on man !  

im simply saying we ( the USA ) have several premaddonas ( spelling ?  Lol) who have the resume , but seem to show up here snd not produce.  That’s all 

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

25 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

I've thought about that too. It's an issue for Na and Kisner and Reed who are all short hitters. Who are the better driving options? Kokrak and Scheffler and Burns. I just don't trust those guys under pressure like Na and Kisner who are veterans, even if not Ryder Cup veterans. 

I think Harris English is almost a guarantee pick at this point. He's a very good pick IMO. He was 10th on the points list, finished top 20 in birdie avg, and averages 300 yards off the tee. He's also finished top 5 at the last 2 US Opens so he definitely plays well on the big stage. With 2 wins this year I don't see how you can justify leaving him off.

At this point I think Finau, Xander, Spieth and English will be the first 4 picks.  For the final 2 picks I think it'll be some combo of Berger, Kokrak, Burns, and Horschel. Also I'm curious what would happen if Koepka's wrist acts up during the Ryder Cup? Could Phil possibly fill-in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PHILsThemannnn said:

I think Harris English is almost a guarantee pick at this point. He's a very good pick IMO. He was 10th on the points list, finished top 20 in birdie avg, and averages 300 yards off the tee. He's also finished top 5 at the last 2 US Opens so he definitely plays well on the big stage. With 2 wins this year I don't see how you can justify leaving him off.

At this point I think Finau, Xander, Spieth and English will be the first 4 picks.  For the final 2 picks I think it'll be some combo of Berger, Kokrak, Burns, and Horschel. Also I'm curious what would happen if Koepka's wrist acts up during the Ryder Cup? Could Phil possibly fill-in.

Kisner and Na are certainly going to be in the discussion before Horschel, Kokrak, and Burns are. Billy was just quoted saying he didn't play enough to make the team and doesn't expect to be named.

If Brooks plays and his wrist acts up in the middle of the tournament and he is forced to take himself out, his singles match would be halved. Brooks has complained of injuries before, but he always perseveres and somehow seems to play better with them. I think he'll be fine in a few weeks. 

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

9 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Kisner and Na are certainly going to be in the discussion before Horschel, Kokrak, and Burns are. Billy was just quoted saying he didn't play enough to make the team and doesn't expect to be named.

If Brooks plays and his wrist acts up in the middle of the tournament and he is forced to take himself out, his singles match would be halved. Brooks has complained of injuries before, but he always perseveres and somehow seems to play better with them. I think he'll be fine in a few weeks. 

7500 is legit, but sacrificing some yards to instill some Kisner/Horschel like juice on the squad may be tradeoff worthwhile.   

Edited by bubbagump

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB