The USA Ryder Cup team could be a train wreck

Mustard_Tiger

3 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

The way the crowd gets involved at the Ryder Cup on US soil is a far bigger factor than it is at the Solheim Cup on US soil

I hope so.  It didn’t help the ladies one ounce. 

• Like 3

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

12 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Fair enough.  But how many years in a row does it take for one person to be involved in some Peter measuring contest with different guys for us to call the reoccurring factor , the problem ? Is it 3 ?  Or 4 ?  Just say when I guess. Lol. 

nothing personal meant by the way.  

Yeah, no worries. 

I have no dog in the Brooks/Bryson fight.  And yes Brooks proved he can be a top-tier a-hole with his comment about DJ's one major, and that they weren't friends just because they worked out together(or something along those lines).

Maybe they will both mature and mellow with age.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Go Cougs said:

You see it as Bryson just being himself, and Brooks attacking him for it, unprompted.  I just don't see it that way.

When Brooks is a d!@k people say "there goes Brooks being a d!@k".  And they're right.

When Bryson is a d!@k some people seem to think he's just awkward or naïve and didn't mean any harm.  I don't think that's the case.  Yes he can be awkward and naïve, but he's also a d!@k.  

I agree. And each one of them is as guilty as the other for the ridiculous rift between them. And of the 2, which is the one that seems to have controversy after controversy? It’s not Brooks! I said in another thread Brooks is a dick, knows it and owns it. Makes no excuses.  He’s not coming out with a BS story a few days later trying to spin anything. Bryson on the other hand can’t seem to grasp the real reason people don’t like him. He chalks it up to him being so smart and innovative and people having a difficult time accepting people like that. ie Bezos and Musk. And when something bad or controversial does happen, he either blames something else or comes out with some ridiculous spin to try to make it look like rainbows and lollipops. Of the 2 d bags, I’ll take the one that makes no excuses and owns it over the phony. But that’s just me 😊

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TiScape said:

I agree. And each one of them is as guilty as the other for the ridiculous rift between them. And of the 2, which is the one that seems to have controversy after controversy? It’s not Brooks! I said in another thread Brooks is a dick, knows it and owns it. Makes no excuses.  He’s not coming out with a BS story a few days later trying to spin anything. Bryson on the other hand can’t seem to grasp the real reason people don’t like him. He chalks it up to him being so smart and innovative and people having a difficult time accepting people like that. ie Bezos and Musk. And when something bad or controversial does happen, he either blames something else or come out with some ridiculous spin to try to make it look like rainbows and lollipops. Of the 2 d bags, I’ll take the one that makes no excuses and owns it over the phony. But that’s just me 😊

This.  Also why it is somewhat entertaining to watch the GC obsess over it, and people over analyze it to death with their own spin.  There is a decent to large possibility, its as simple as Brooks cant stand Bryson.  No beef, no rift, or over involved plot that will pillage the RC or sabotage peoples psyche lol ....

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

29 minutes ago, TiScape said:

I agree. And each one of them is as guilty as the other for the ridiculous rift between them. And of the 2, which is the one that seems to have controversy after controversy? It’s not Brooks! I said in another thread Brooks is a dick, knows it and owns it. Makes no excuses.  He’s not coming out with a BS story a few days later trying to spin anything. Bryson on the other hand can’t seem to grasp the real reason people don’t like him. He chalks it up to him being so smart and innovative and people having a difficult time accepting people like that. ie Bezos and Musk. And when something bad or controversial does happen, he either blames something else or comes out with some ridiculous spin to try to make it look like rainbows and lollipops. Of the 2 d bags, I’ll take the one that makes no excuses and owns it over the phony. But that’s just me 😊

So Brooks is now new to controversy?  He didn’t go at DJ ?  What about him going at Reed ?  What about him  starting it with chamblee ? And now it’s Deshambeau.  He seems to be able to insert himself into plenty of controversial conversations.  

which seems tp fit the title of this topic. This could be a major reason why the us team seems to be a train wreck.  I won’t lay it all on Brooks though.  Phil seemed to start this train down the tracks.  And at the time I applauded his call out of Watson. But I’m not so sure i agree with myself now. 

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

5 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

So Brooks is now new to controversy?  He didn’t go at DJ ?  What about him going at Reed ?  What about him  starting it with chamblee ? And now it’s Deshambeau.  He seems to be able to insert himself into plenty of controversial conversations.  

which seems tp fit the title of this topic. This could be a major reason why the us team seems to be a train wreck.  I won’t lay it all on Brooks though.  Phil seemed to start this train down the tracks.  And at the time I applauded his call out of Watson. But I’m not so sure i agree with myself now. 

Who said he was new to controversy?! I said who has a new controversy almost weekly?! I could go through them all but they have all been covered here at nauseam. And when Brooks says or does something he owns it. That was my main point. 

Edited by TiScape

Just now, TiScape said:

Who said he was new to controversy?! I said who has a new controversy almost weekly?! I could go through them all but they have all been covered here at nauseam. 

You said he was NOT  the one who has controversy after controversy.  Right ?  I disagree.  

His ( Brooks ) are actual controversies .  Bryson is like “yo mr. official. I see an ant “.  And “ wah  I hate this driver “.  Neither are controversies.  There just whining.  He’s king of whining for sure.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I think course setup is the key right now. Le Golf Nationale had narrow fairways and thick rough to negate the US’s strengths. Hazeltine was a birdie fest and Whistling Straits will be too. The Americans will win this year. 

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

8 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

You said he was NOT  the one who has controversy after controversy.  Right ?  I disagree.  

His ( Brooks ) are actual controversies .  Bryson is like “yo mr. official. I see an ant “.  And “ wah  I hate this driver “.  Neither are controversies.  There just whining.  He’s king of whining for sure.  

Yeah, I’m talking who does and says more stupid stuff. Yes, Brooks will call a guy out and will tell you how he feels. If they or you don’t like it he doesn’t care. Probably not great for Ryder Cup synergy. But I was talking about the two of them in general and not necessarily how it pertained to Ryder Cup Stuff. So my bad there. One is a dick, the other is a phony d bag. Pick your poison. 

Edited by TiScape
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TiScape said:

Yeah, I’m talking who does and says more stupid stuff. Yes, Brooks will call a guy out and will tell you how he feels. If they or you don’t like it he doesn’t care. Probably not great for Ryder Cup synergy. But I was talking about the two of them in general and not necessarily how it pertained to Ryder Cup Stuff. So my bad there. 

That’s all I meant.  I know I’m on a tangent.  But I just see the Ryder cup thing as a broken idea.    I hate wanting to pull for a team and knowing ahead of time how it will go.  At least fake it enough to make me think you want  to be there , and actually tried to win.  The event in France was embarrassing. Not for the loss. For the lack of appearance of effort.  And the surrounding drama.    

If a group of high school kids went to an away game and acted  like they did , a coach would be well within his rights to run them to death at the next practice and or bench some guys indefinitely.  

last time I recall believing that an entire team for the US was on board included Keegan Bradley.  That’s been quite a while ago.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 minutes ago, Noles said:

Who will Bryson and Brooks be paired with?  I wonder if DJ would be cool playing with Bryson.  The guy who lets nothing bother him seems like a good partner for Bryson.  Not sure who would be good for Brooks now that he burned his bridge with DJ.

Bryson and Na. Koepka played with Finau in 2018, so maybe they match up again.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I don’t know.  Didn’t help the women in the solheim cup.  They had 80 % or better us fans because of travel restrictions, abd the USA got curb stomped.  It wasn’t as close as the score indicates.  

Doesn't matter how many fans are there if they can only muster a little fake enthusiasm after being prompted. That solheim cup atmosphere was uncomfortably forced and cringy.

The fans on the men's side will be louder and drunker with no prompting needed! Still won't make a difference (I don't think anyway) in the outcome unless they cross the line and we get a Monty situation

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bladehunter said:

This is what Reed Brings.  Can you say that any of the other picks are capable of producing one of , if not the greatest match seen on Tv? 

as far as his comments on the loss in France. I think ,to me at least , he was speaking to the behind the scenes drama.  Who knows whether speith didn’t want to play with him or what ?  But something went down obviously.  Same for keopka and DJ slap fighting.  Instead of thinking about winning. They’re thinking about their feelings , and comfortability.  That’s the baggage.   

Totally disagree. He whined to a reporter because he didn’t get paired like he wanted and blamed THAT on his crappy play. He’s a major drama queen egged on by his wife. Definitely needs a time out because of those shenanigans. Plus he’s not playing well and was just in the hospital 

Edited by stingerfade
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, stingerfade said:

Totally disagree. He whined to a reporter because he didn’t get paired like he wanted and blamed THAT on his crappy play. He’s a major drama queen egged on by his wife. Definitely needs a time out because of those shenanigans. Plus he’s not playing well and was just in the hospital 

We shall see I guess. If they pick him and he lays an egg , I have no issue saying I was wrong. But if they don’t pick him , and Harris English , Berger and finau lays an egg each , it’s going to be rough defending the decision  to leave captain America at home.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 hours ago, Naptime said:

Should the US Amateur champion be on the Ryder Cup team?  Considering how many highly ranked stroke play pros don't do well, maybe time to try something else.

Not at all. Under current rules IIRC players selected to the team have to be an active member of the PGA Of America or PGA Tour. IOW a professional. There is already a RC type event for top level amateurs. It's called the Walker Cup. 

Edited by grm24

Should be fairly easy for Stricker to rally the troops.  The speech will go something like this:

"The internet (golfwrx) thinks we are a train wreck waiting to happen.  No one wants to play with Brooks.  And no one wants to play with Brooksy.  And no one wants to play with Captain America!  Tiger is hurt.  Phil is old (and he's sharpening his knives).  The world thinks we are a bunch of spoiled millionaires who don't care about team.  Ya!  We are a train wreck!  Now let's go prove them all wrong!"

Not that anyone in the room will be listening...

I'm thinking a Bryson-Reed pairing will work wonders.  The real pressure will be on the wonder twins pairing: Spieth and JT.  As for Cupcake, he can play with anyone except DJ.  DJ and Na would be good fun.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, tw_focus said:

Also I might find a way to get Zalatoris on the team. Need to check out how he does in the next week or two with his new putter.

Won't matter what happens with Zalatoris and his new putter in the next couple of weeks. All 6 of the USA RC Captain's picks will be announced this week on Wednesday.

28 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

Should be fairly easy for Stricker to rally the troops.  The speech will go something like this:

"The internet (golfwrx) thinks we are a train wreck waiting to happen.  No one wants to play with Brooks.  And no one wants to play with Brooksy.  And no one wants to play with Captain America!  Tiger is hurt.  Phil is old (and he's sharpening his knives).  The world thinks we are a bunch of spoiled millionaires who don't care about team.  Ya!  We are a train wreck!  Now let's go prove them all wrong!"

Not that anyone in the room will be listening...

LOL! The players have to be listening to Stricker. After all he is a "savage".  🙂

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7om2/avis-car-rentals-the-professionals-featuring-steve-stricker

Lots of talk about US winning in a walk in several different threads and forums.  I’m not so sure. The Europeans manage to bring their A games and putt like fiends every 2 years then drop down between years in the world rankings and finish in the pack at many PGA events (other than Rahm this year). But there’s a lot of firepower and match experience with those already in;  Rahm, Hovland, Hatton, McIlroy, Casey, Fleetwood, Westwood, Lowry, and Fitzpatrick. Among those left in the running, Garcia, Poulter, Rose, Stenson, et al, some of those names should strike fear in any US fan regardless of where they’ve finished recently.  I wouldn’t be too surprised if those a******* Poulter and Garcia get picked, each go 3-1 and dance all over our greens again. 

Edited by Duct Tape
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Duct Tape said:

Lots of talk about US winning in a walk in several different threads and forums.  I’m not so sure. The Europeans manage to bring their A games and putt like fiends every 2 years then drop down between years in the world rankings and finish in the pack at many PGA events (other than Rahm this year). But there’s a lot of firepower and match experience with those already in;  Rahm, Hovland, Hatton, McIlroy, Casey, Fleetwood, Westwood, Lowry, Westwood, and Fitzpatrick. Among those left in the running, Garcia, Poulter, Rose, Stenson, et al, some of those names should strike fear in any US fan regardless of where they’ve finished recently.  I wouldn’t be too surprised if those a******* Poulter and Garcia get picked, each go 3-1 and dance all over our greens again. 

Agree.  It’s alwasy about putting in the end.  I’d say poulter and Garcia should be picked.  This won’t be a cake walk for sure.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

10 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Agree.  It’s alwasy about putting in the end.  I’d say poulter and Garcia should be picked.  This won’t be a cake walk for sure.  

Not always about putting. 2018 was about the tight fairways and thick rough. 

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

12 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Not always about putting. 2018 was about the tight fairways and thick rough. 

Exactly.  Much to do before you even get a putt.  You can set up the course to match any desired length, and regardless the players still have to hit the shots and find the fairways; still have to hit greens.  But that being said, you cannot have weak putters on the team, everyone is going to face crucial putts, so they need to be comfortable and confident with that.

Stricker has to go off script and find players who are good matchups/teammates.  

10 hours ago, grm24 said:

Not at all. Under current rules IIRC players selected to the team have to be an active member of the PGA Of America or PGA Tour. IOW a professional. There is already a RC type event for top level amateurs. It's called the Walker Cup. 

Maybe they could amend the rules.  Ams currently play in the US Open, Masters etc.