2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Wedges... mixed bag or all the same brand?

mvhoffman

So I have recently gotten back into the specialty wedges as I have played set wedges forever.  I currently have all Vokey wedges, 3 SM6 and 1 SM7.  I was wondering, does everyone stick with the same brand of wedges for consistency or is it a hodge-podge/mixed bag when it comes to wedges?  I am very happy with my Vokey set I have now, but just wondering what other do?

• Like 1

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

I was a hodgepodge till yesterday.  Had put a Cleveland RTX zipcore Raw in the bag a month ago and yesterday I completed the set.  
now I have ping G710 4 - U which is a 50° wedge.  Then I go to the Cleveland’s  52°-56° -60°.  
last into the bag, yesterday, was the 52° and i used it a few times two full shots and a few chips I wanted to run a bit.  All worked as planned.  

Cleveland has a winner here.  Used the 60° for a while and then quickly added the rest of the set.  

• Like 1

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

I've played a 50-54-58 set up for a while, and I always seem to like the 50-54 wedges to be the same and the 58 different. I guess it's because I don't ever take a full swing with the 58.

Currently, Callaway MD5 Jaws in the 50-54 and TM High-Toe in the 58.

WITB (updated: 12/9/21)

Taylormade SIM Max 9.0 - Fujikura Ventus Black 6x

Titleist 917F3 15.0 - Fujikura Speeder Evolution 757x

Taylormade SIM 2 Max 3H - Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 85x

Taylormade P770 4-PW - True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Callaway MD5 Jaws Raw 50, 54 - KBS $-Taper 120s

Taylormade Hi-Toe 58 - KBS Hi-Rev 115s

Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie 34"

I'm currently in a hodgepodge with 2 Callaway and 1 Ping, or 2 Ping and 1 Callaway, or all Callaway. I seem to be sticking to the first one the most. 

I do plan on getting new wedges soon and I could still end up in a mix of brands but with more brands coming out with a full face groove model I may end up in 1 brand. Will all depend what I hit the best. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I use the PXG 0211DC Gap Wedge from the set and then my trusty Vokey Oil Can 56 I've had for a decade. Just added a 60deg Callaway 2019 PM Grind for specialty shots that I love.  I'm not OCD about that, I use what I like and what works for me.  That Oil Can I trust all the time.  I know exactly what distances it goes, how it'll come out of the bunker, etc.  The PM was for fun and to try something new.

I’ve got RTX Zipcore in 50-54-58 and love them overall.

Only difference is I custom ordered the 50* through Cleveland with a DG S400 to play more similar to my irons. Prefer the DG Spinner shafts in the 54* and 58* though so far.

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Big Bertha 23 (19*) / Cally RCH 65 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland CBX (48*), RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I used to play a mixed bag, but now I have 2 Miura wedges in the bag.  Sure they cost me a pretty penny, but I love the design, the sole, great turf interaction and the buttery soft feel.  I like the smaller boutique/JDM wedges over the major OEMs. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I tend to go full brand with all clubs in my bag. My wedges are a set. Obviously my irons are all 1 brand lol. But I base my woods and hybos around the driver I pick. Makes no sense but neither does my golf game

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

Several years ago I changed out all irons and woods going from stiff to regular shafts. I had just played with set wedges before, so specialty wedges was a whole new adventure.

I ended up with a Callaway iron set 46* PW, a 50* Cleveland CG14 GW, and a 56* Callaway Forged SW. (No LW). The PW had a hotter face than the GW, so distances gapped out pretty well. Eventually I dropped the 56* in favor of a CG14 54* and 58*. The 54* turned out to be better from turf, and the 58* was only way to handle some of the tucked pins or steep bunker faces I faced.

Fast forward, about 2018 I refitted with Calla MD3 48* and 54* and MD-PM 60*. The 60* got bumped out after one season for the current 58* C-grind. (60* just too hard to control on distance on other than greenside shots). Note: the 48* had replaced both a 46* and 50* as the two seemed to overlap on close-in shots. But, I'm starting to have trouble in the 110-yard range, can lose a couple of strokes a round. I may go back to four wedge next time I change.

What the golf article say: lots of golfers use the PW and GW from their iron sets - use for lots of full shots. Then they go specialty on SW and LW which they use mainly for partials. At a golf expo, one club pro said he only keeps a couple of specialty GWs on hand, as most golfers use the GW from their iron set.

Another matter is style of play: The Pelz crowd chases the mathematical precision of matching wedges with with 4* or 5* loft gaps in between (but you have to calibrate your swing ever so often). Others just like this wedge or that wedge, and just handle mixed-bag distance by feel.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

6 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

Several years ago I changed out all irons and woods going from stiff to regular shafts. I had just played with set wedges before, so specialty wedges was a whole new adventure.

I ended up with a Callaway iron set 46* PW, a 50* Cleveland CG14 GW, and a 56* Callaway Forged SW. (No LW). The PW had a hotter face than the GW, so distances gapped out pretty well. Eventually I dropped the 56* in favor of a CG14 54* and 58*. The 54* turned out to be better from turf, and the 58* was only way to handle some of the tucked pins or steep bunker faces I faced.

Fast forward, about 2018 I refitted with Calla MD3 48* and 54* and MD-PM 60*. The 60* got bumped out after one season for the current 58* C-grind. (60* just too hard to control on distance on other than greenside shots). Note: the 48* had replaced both a 46* and 50* as the two seemed to overlap on close-in shots. But, I'm starting to have trouble in the 110-yard range, can lose a couple of strokes a round. I may go back to four wedge next time I change.

What the golf article say: lots of golfers use the PW and GW from their iron sets - use for lots of full shots. Then they go specialty on SW and LW which they use mainly for partials. At a golf expo, one club pro said he only keeps a couple of specialty GWs on hand, as most golfers use the GW from their iron set.

Another matter is style of play: The Pelz crowd chases the mathematical precision of matching wedges with with 4* or 5* loft gaps in between (but you have to calibrate your swing ever so often). Others just like this wedge or that wedge, and just handle mixed-bag distance by feel.

nice post and I appreciate the response.  I went the 46, 52, 56, 60 mainly because I got a ridiculous deal on the wedge set.  Likely in the off season, unless I get another stupid deal, I am currently planning on gapping to match what i'm used to of the 46,50,54,58.  I was going to just have the wedges bent but they are all fairly low bounce and I don't want to take any more bounce away from them to adjust them 2*

Edited by mvhoffman

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

51 minutes ago, 14max said:

Same brand.  My OCD rules all...

CDO - please put it in alphabetical order like it should be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

Was hodgepodge until a week ago.   Had a CBX, RTX 4 and Cally JAWS.  Came to conclusion that I really like the S400 shaft in wedges so I swapped out CBX and Cally for RTX Zipcores. All with S400 shafts (although 2 have the Spinner version).  Playing 3 days in a row this week so excited to see how they perform

Paradym Ai Smoke Max Diamana PD 50S

Paradym Ai Smoke Max Tensei Blue 1K 60S

Paradym Ai Smoke 24* Tensei Pro 1K 70S

Srixon ZX5 mkII  Modus 105R

Callaway JAWS RAW Modus/DG S400

Mizuno M Craft VI

Mixed at this point.  Apex 21 set PW and GW and then vokey sm8 54* and currently a 58* Sub70 JB low bounce.  My other wedge is a 58* vokey sm8 higher bounce.  Really liking the Sub70 JB wedge.  

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

22 minutes ago, mvhoffman said:

I went the 46, 52, 56, 60 mainly because I got a ridiculous deal on the wedge set. 

As long as you know how far the wedges fly, a couple of extra yards gap between PW and GW is something you can handle.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I could see playing different wedges if they worked. Mine are the same because they happen to work. Having not tried a bunch, I'm easy now.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Mixed. Hogan Ptx Pros in the irons and Ping Glide 3.0 in the wedges - 50* Standard Sole, 54* / 60* in Eye2 sole.  I have Hogan Equalizer wedges in Gap through Lob but prefer the Glides. 

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

I usually match mine up at least by brand and finish, my OCD won't let me do otherwise (my brain will let me get away with SM5's vs SM3s in the bag etc). I play the set PW, but wouldn't be averse to matching it up as well assuming I could dial in the right flight/distance.

Edited by FormerDimer

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9 deg  / Fujikura Ventus Black Velocore 6x

Callaway Rogue ST LS 3 wood (15 deg) / Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Blue 7x

PING G425 Hybrid 19.5 deg / Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 8s (tipped 1/2)

Mizuno JPX 900 Tours 4-PW / KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff

Titleist SM5 50,54,60 / KBS 610 Stiff

Taylor Made Spider X Chalk  

IG: @martinmejia14 

Mine is mixed. My PW is the set, MP20 MMC, GW and SW are T20 and my LW is a Taylormade milled grind. I like that my lob wedge is rusted and beat and looks different than the others.

Dr. Sim2 8° w/ RDX blue 60 6.5

3 Wood. Sim2 15° and 19° w/ Diamana 70x

Ui. Callaway x forged ut 21° w/ dg120 x100

4 to GW. Mizuno Pro 223 w/ dg120 x100

SW and Lw. 54° and 58° Milled grind raw w/ dg s200

Putter. Odyssey OG 1ws, 33 inches

Ball. Taylormade TP5x

I am about as feel of a player as it gets.  I like my 2-PW to feel and bend the same, so they have the same shafts.  My shafts are ascending 2g in weight but the same bend profile, HIGH.

Since 2016 been playing Vokey SM6.  Currently, my 52' has the same shaft as the rest of my irons, except it's heaviest at 108g, still HIGH bend.  However, my 58' has the original DGS200 shaft.  There's a likelihood I will be replacing the DG with the same 108g shaft as 52' or same profile except heavier weight.  But yesterday I was hitting 52 and Dash sweet as butter.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Same brand for me.  Gives me the same feel at impact which helps with distance control and understanding where I miss it better.

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Searching…

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

All matching, all the time.  I once had different finishes across my wedges on some old Vokey's and it drove me absolutely bonkers.  

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 Hybrid 19*, Ventus Blue HB 9X  /or/  Titleist TSR2 7W 21*, Tensei Black 75X

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH