Would you join a club that has no par 5s?

Posted (edited)

I just moved to a new area and am looking to join a club. 

And there is one that has every positive you could want. Its fairly moderate in price, close to home, has a pool so when my kids get older they can come along. But golf wise, It doesn't have any par 5s on the course

Now they allowed me to play one round just to see how the course played, and surprisingly for a course with 16 par 4s (and 2 par 3s), it offered a fairly interesting round. Its not like it was the same design every hole. One of the long time members there said the course was built in an area with limited room and the course is fairly old, so they could make a hole that was 500+ yards when it was originally built.

I feel like I'm overthinking this, cause like I said it has every amenity you could want, but I do like having eagle putts every now and then. 

My wife doesn't see the issue with it. She is supportive of my golf addiction, but with twins at home she also doesn't want me going 30+ minutes out the way to play golf.

Would this be an barrier to you in joining?

Edited by LimaSierra
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As long as the course is enjoyable and you don’t mind playing it every week or twice a week it shouldn’t matter what the numbers on the scorecard say. 

Wouldn't bother me.     Most of you guys are going for the par 5's in two anyway.  Plays the same as a long 4 at that point.  if you are laying up on 5's you get the same "shot value" as fin

Ask yourself if the cost of membership will force you to only play there, is that acceptable?  If it works for you and your family, what strangers think has no importance.      

Posted Images

It would be an issue for me. I have never heard of a course without at least 1 Par 5, seems very strange. And only 2 par 3's, It's a no for me. 

WITB
Ping G10 Driver- Matrix White Tie
Callaway X Hot 3W- Project X
Callaway X Hot 4H- Project X
Lynx Parallax 5-SW- Nippon NS Pro 950GH
Ping Eye 2 SW- DG S300
Nike VR Forged LW- DG S300
Ray Cook Blue Goose
Srixon

It depends on whether or not you enjoy the layout of the course, and would be happy playing the majority of your rounds there. 

The course I am a member at has par 3's for #9 and #18. And they're annoying, very uphill par 3's. And 18 is not only uphill, but usually plays about 190 yards from the blues, and is surrounded by deep bunkers. I don't love it, but there are so many other good things about my club that make it a non-issue for me. 

• Like 2

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H
Callaway Apex irons 4-PW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges (60, 55, 50)

Personally, no I wouldn't join because I believe at least 2+ par 5's is essential for a good layout. 

No matter how much I liked the rest of the holes I know in the long run I'd start to despise a course with 16 par 4's and 2 par 3's. It just sounds incredibly boring.

• Like 1

Wouldn't bother me.  

Most of you guys are going for the par 5's in two anyway.  Plays the same as a long 4 at that point.  if you are laying up on 5's you get the same "shot value" as finding a random, fairway type lie on a par three tee box.

It is just a number on the card.  How it plays is more important.

• Like 4
Posted (edited)

Mine only has 2 for 9 holes, only 1 if you play from the whites. This is why my club is more for practice.

<edit> it's also only $700/year, so there is that.

Edited by lefthack

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged Blade 4, 5, 7-PW

Mizuno MP-68 6 iron

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

I definitely think it's weird but it comes down to what your membership is about. 

For some (like me) it's really about maintaining your game. I chose a club that is less than 2 minutes from my door. It's all about being able to get out and practice at a moments notice. I can hit the range or the short game area. I can work on putting or go play. The layout of the course even creates walker-friendly 3- and 6-hole opportunities.

In my case, the price was a bit too high but I took the leap due to the proximity and practice facilities. At the end of the day I make enough to pay the bill and I love practicing so F it.

For others though, a membership is about the playing experience. They're in it for the weekly groupings and the monthly tournaments. They'll rarely play elsewhere and they want to love the course & club. They want to find a club that checks every box.

You just have to think about which type of consumer you are. 

• Like 1

SIM Dr (10.5o) (Tensei Pro Orange 60TX)
SIM 3w (17o) (Tensei Pro White 60TX)

M6 7w (21o) (Diamana Blue 70S)

z785 (4-Pw) (Modus3 Tour120)
SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
Newport 2 Select

At face value, a course with 16 par 4's and 2 par 3's does not bother me at all. What would bother me would be other elements that could be present in the design.

How much elevation is there across the property?

Do the 2 par 3's play to similar distances, play in similar directions both play uphill/downhill? with only 2 par 3's I'd want them each to be as different as possible to maximize the holes.

Is there a great amount of variety between the par 4's? How many of them are similar distance and would play very similarly to each other with what shot you hit off the tee or into the green? Was the course originally built with 16 par 4's, or did it have par 5's that were deemed to short and "converted" to par 4's. I've played some fantastic par 5's at 460 yards that play like modern day 4.5's.

If the shortest par 4 was 330 yards long and the longest was 470 yards long with a good mix in-between I'd imagine that the layout would challenge my whole bag and keep play interesting. But if 10 of the 16 holes were between 400-420, odds are it would become redundant.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LimaSierra said:

I just moved to a new area and am looking to join a club. 

And there is one that has every positive you could want. Its fairly moderate in price, close to home, has a pool so when my kids get older they can come along. But golf wise, It doesn't have any par 5s on the course

Now they allowed me to play one round just to see how the course played, and surprisingly for a course with 16 par 4s (and 2 par 3s), it offered a fairly interesting round. Its not like it was the same design every hole. One of the long time members there said the course was built in an area with limited room and the course is fairly old, so they could make a hole that was 500+ yards when it was originally built.

I feel like I'm overthinking this, cause like I said it has every amenity you could want, but I do like having eagle putts every now and then

My wife doesn't see the issue with it. She is supportive of my golf addiction, but with twins at home she also doesn't want me going 30+ minutes out the way to play golf.

Would this be an barrier to you in joining?

get longer and start driving the par 4's 😄 ...wouldn't be a deal breaker for me

You said the course has some interesting variety, which helps. If it were pancake flat and the same length and design hole over and over back and forth I probably would pass on it. Otherwise I'd be OK with it if it was the closest option to home, cheaper than alternatives, and the course was at least 5,600 yards or so from the tips. 

Posted (edited)

I don't think I'd have a problem with it in particular. Thinking about it my home course could basically be that. I play it because it's a good mix of proximity, price, and challenge for me. Plus it's only 9 holes, so I can play after work if I want.

The lone par 5 yardage wise is only 435, but the way it plays makes it the par 5. The first half is downhill that any decent shot that carries 180 is probably going into the creek cutting it in half. Then the other half is uphill with the last 75 yards being a fairly steep hill leading to a small green with a false front. For my skill level it's a good test, I can really pipe a drive and have a decent chance of getting there in 2, but it takes 2 really good shots.

Edited by Roejye

This club fits in well with your family situation. I would join. 

After your kids are watersafe, they can swim at a place close to home. Kids love to screw around at pools during the summer. And it's better for them than sitting around playing video games.

Most importantly, they'll probably regularly end up going to a golf course and they may end up teeing it up with you.

This club promises to be good times for your family. 

• Like 1

"I want a hamburger..no, a cheeseburger, I want a hot dog. I want a milkshake."

"You'll get nothing and like it."

Ask yourself if the cost of membership will force you to only play there, is that acceptable?  If it works for you and your family, what strangers think has no importance.

• Like 3
  • Titleist TS2 @10.25', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 @16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

It will be your home course and you will playing the vast majority of rounds there, so you better like it allot.

For me I think it could be a deal breaker as it would never feel like I was playing on a 'real' course.🙄 Having said that in retrospect location and the people have been the key parts to me enjoying the club I am at - but the course is also excellent, so I won on all accounts.

I would love to see a map of it as it seems odd that the designer could not have shortened 2 par 4's into par 3's and use the left over yardage to make 2 par 4's into Par 5's. But I guess 16 par 4's is what the terrain demanded. 

10 hours ago, elwhippy said:

AFAIK Longniddry in Scotland has no par 5s. A long time since I played it. A rare thing...a dull as dishwater seaside course. 

Elie in Fife has no par 5s, and only 2 par 3s, haven't played it but it is supposed to be a fine test.

Personally, I prefer more of a variety so no par 5s and just 2 par 3s probably wouldn't appeal to me, but if I didn't have other good options, I'd at least play it and see what's up.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

My home course at Morecambe GC has 5 par 3s and no par 5s. At 6000 yards and cunning use of wind off the Irish Sea makes it play a lot longer. Is it more interesting? I don't think so, many par 4s and 1 par 3 require a lay-up which feels a bit girly.

Could you expand on this par 3 that requires a lay up? I am now really curious.