Getting my vintage bag together

Some modern balls are fine with persimmon. The Duo Softs are a bit too marshmallowy for me, and I prefer something like the Snell MTBX, though I have a reasonable stock of old wound surlyn that I like to use when I take my wooden woods to the course.

It sounds like a fine setup, and I especially like the Ginty trouble wood.

I do have to disagree with you, though, when you say wedges haven't changed. There are more grinds available now, and wedges are generally a bit lighter. A couple of older wedges I have are veering towards "E" on the swing weight scale (D6 and D7).

More than that, though, is that one of the best parts of putting together a vintage bag is finding a wedge or two that you like. They have as much personality as the woods, so I think you're missing out on some of the fun by not looking for an old wedge.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Some modern balls are fine with persimmon. The Duo Softs are a bit too marshmallowy for me, and I prefer something like the Snell MTBX, though I have a reasonable stock of old wound surlyn that I like to use when I take my wooden woods to the course.

I do have to disagree with you, though, when you say wedges haven't changed. There are more grinds available now, and wedges are generally a bit lighter. A couple of older wedges I have are veering towards "E" on the swing weight scale (D6 and D7).

More than that, though, is that one of the best parts of putting together a vintage bag is finding a wedge or two that you like. They have as much personality as the woods, so I think you're missing out on some of the fun by not looking for an old wedge.

I was thinking the same thing.  

In my past year of collecting vintage the wedges I have come across have been some of the most unique pieces.  Vintage Wilson Dynapower and Powered wedges.  That MacGregor stuff too.  Penna Wedges, D.S Wedges, Sand Irons, Expediters, they are so unique!

The 11i on the 1963 M2 Tourneys is shaped like the rest of the irons of that set, the 11i on the 1964 MT2 Tourneys has a complete different design.

I also think wedge play was different back then.  From what I'm reading not everyone carried a PW but would use a SW for more trouble deep grass shots and treat the 9 as PW of sorts. 

Edited by cold_war_era_golfer
  • Like 1

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

14 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I'm basing what I said about wedges on what I've seen on eBay. It seems to me that while swingweights, shafts, and grinds have changed wedges over the years have retained the same basic shape. Here's a couple of pictures of my sand wedge. It's a Dynacraft head which I assembled back in the late 1990s, and it looks and performs the same as any other wedge of comparable shape. I paid a grand total of ten bucks for it. So far I haven't seen anything different going back decades, other than the Alien wedge of course.

Wedge 1.jpg

Wedge 2.jpg

When it comes to wedges I absolutely insist it be forged. It's a feel thing. Those little delicate shots around the green are the key difference between forged and cast. It's not that I'm super sensitive because I could live with cast irons if I had to. But for me those touch shots is where soft forged wedges shine.

• Like 3

My new (new-ish!) Ben Hogan 4-wood came in today, and it's in very good condition. The decals are in good shape, the face is clean, there's no cracks or dents anywhere, and the grip is the original grip, but some sandpaper and Schtch-Brite and it's good to go. It's going to be my go-to fairway wood. My vintage set is now complete, time to go try it out next time I play.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 2:02 AM, Robert L. said:

I'm basing what I said about wedges on what I've seen on eBay. It seems to me that while swingweights, shafts, and grinds have changed wedges over the years have retained the same basic shape. Here's a couple of pictures of my sand wedge. It's a Dynacraft head which I assembled back in the late 1990s, and it looks and performs the same as any other wedge of comparable shape. I paid a grand total of ten bucks for it. So far I haven't seen anything different going back decades, other than the Alien wedge of course.

Wedge 1.jpg

Wedge 2.jpg

Any wedge that shows the loft and bounce is a modern wedge...🤣 

I think there was a time, probably in the Nineties, when wedges began to change to what we are familiar with today. Probably--and I'm spitballing here--due to the emergence of the gap wedge and lob wedge.

Anyway, that's a nice looking wedge, but it's fun to try out some of the older wedges. Some are horrible (I generally don't get on with Macgregor sand wedges and Eighties/Nineties Japanese sand wedges), but there are some great ones, and they often play different from the modern versions. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 12:52 PM, Robert L. said:

Thanks to the inspiration I've gotten from reading all about player's vintage bags here I'm in the process of putting together a vintage bag of my own. While I'm not looking to capture lightning in a bottle with these old clubs I'm certainly looking to connect with the spirit of golf as it was played by the greats from Hogan, Nelson and Snead through the Palmer and Nicklaus era all the way to the early 90s when I first took up golf.

The clubs:

A Hogan persimmon driver I refinished back in the 90s when I did this as a hobby. It has a Grafalloy ProLite shaft, and it's never been hit.

A Hogan 4-wood which will be my fairway wood. I won it on eBay and it'll be here next week. it looks like it's in very good shape, but we'll see.

A set of Haig Ultra irons from 1963, 3-PW. Classic forged musclebacks. I have no problem hitting them on the sweet spot, and they feel great. Shorter than today's clubs, so I'll have to allow for that.

A Ginty trouble wood. Laminated maple head, steel shaft. With the keel sole. Cuts through the rough like butter!

I'll be using my regular sand wedge. Wedges haven't changed at all since the vintage days, so there's no point in buying an old wedge.

For a putter I'll be using my Otey Crisman hickory shafted blade putter from the early 80s. Putts well, gives good feedback on poor putts.

The golf balls I'll be using are the Wilson Duo Soft low-compression balls. No point in damaging my old woods with the rocks modern balls are!

My bag is my old stand bag I used in the 1990s. Still does the job.

I'm looking forward to gaming these clubs. I'll probably suck even worse with these clubs, but I don't care. It's not about turning in a great score, it's about having fun and reconnecting with a bygone era.

Love the Ginty!!  Those things are awesome...especially the OG Rainbow Ginty!!

• Like 1

Ping G410 Driver
Cally Epic 4 Wood

Founders Club 200 Series MBs or BeCu Ping Eye2 or MacGregor CB92s, Ping Eye2 SW

Ping Zing2, MyDay in BeCu or Goodwood SS Sunday

11 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I think there was a time, probably in the Nineties, when wedges began to change to what we are familiar with today. Probably--and I'm spitballing here--due to the emergence of the gap wedge and lob wedge.

I think it's due to loft creep and the Tom Kite Experience.  Probably more loft creep than anything; there have always been wedges available in the 58* to 60* range.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Among other clubs, I have an old KZG sand wedge, 56-degrees, forged.  I started practicing with it and fell in love with the forged feel, to the point where I sold my Vokeys and switched to Mizuno wedges.  I love 'em, especially chipping.  Do I shoot any better?  Well, no.  But if feels better when I miss. 🙂

• Like 1

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

3 hours ago, elorasc said:

This year I am exclusively playing a vintage set. Toney Penna Model 65 Driver, 3W, 5W; Ben Hogan Apex Redline 4-PW, SW; John Reuters Jr Old Standard Bullseye. I'm having a blast and posting surprisingly good and consistent scores!

20210621_082800.jpg

20210621_082820.jpg

20210621_082838.jpg

20210621_082856.jpg

20210621_082948.jpg

Not too unlike my set up. Playing Hogan Apex 1 & 4 W, Taylormade TD 1 iron, Redline 3 - PW, Hogan 5309, Wilson R20 (BeCu) and have been experimenting with Letters Golden Goose (but gaming a Zebra).20210621_164336.jpg.a9a92786ab1e0f6bb65c3c09fe70debe.jpg

As a Scot, I have mild envy of your tartan headcovers! 😁

Edited by Foozle
Add picture
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Foozle said:

Not too unlike my set up. Playing Hogan Apex 1 & 4 W, Taylormade TD 1 iron, Redline 3 - PW, Hogan 5309, Wilson R20 (BeCu) and have been experimenting with Letters Golden Goose (but gaming a Zebra).

I picked up those headcovers from an antique shop in St Andrew's when we were there for vacation a number of years ago. They elicit more comments at the Golf course than anything else in my bag.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2021 at 10:16 AM, Tim Schoch said:

Among other clubs, I have an old KZG sand wedge, 56-degrees, forged.  I started practicing with it and fell in love with the forged feel, to the point where I sold my Vokeys and switched to Mizuno wedges.  I love 'em, especially chipping.  Do I shoot any better?  Well, no.  But if feels better when I miss. 🙂

If your KZG wedge is what I think it is. It should be soft as butter because it is Kyoei forged in Japan

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

7 hours ago, elorasc said:

This year I am exclusively playing a vintage set. Toney Penna Model 65 Driver, 3W, 5W; Ben Hogan Apex Redline 4-PW, SW; John Reuters Jr Old Standard Bullseye. I'm having a blast and posting surprisingly good and consistent scores!

20210621_082800.jpg

20210621_082820.jpg

20210621_082838.jpg

20210621_082856.jpg

20210621_082948.jpg

Nice--- Noticed the Latin Logo on the headcovers :Dum Spiro Spero--- I used to know what it meant because it is also on the state logo for South Carolina

Edited by BIG STU

2 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Nice--- Noticed the Latin Logo on the headcovers :Dum Spiro Spero--- I used to know what it meant because it is also on the state logo for South Carolina

while i breathe, i hope. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

4 hours ago, Foozle said:

Not too unlike my set up. Playing Hogan Apex 1 & 4 W, Taylormade TD 1 iron, Redline 3 - PW, Hogan 5309, Wilson R20 (BeCu) and have been experimenting with Letters Golden Goose (but gaming a Zebra).20210621_164336.jpg.a9a92786ab1e0f6bb65c3c09fe70debe.jpg

OMG!!!! A set of Hogans in a green and white Macgregor bag---- Blasphemy!!!--- Ok kidding I will let you slide on that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ChipStrokes said:

while i breathe, i hope. 

OK thanks I think our ex Govenour Nikki Haley had that saying put on our license tags. 

1 minute ago, BIG STU said:

OK thanks I think our ex Govenour Nikki Haley had that saying put on our license tags. 

makes sense. it’s the SC state motto. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

2 minutes ago, ChipStrokes said:

makes sense. it’s the SC state motto. 

Yep and as per say with the state of SC we had a screw up--- Some of the first tags had the saying " While I breathe I live" well of course you do--- I know some one caught on and about supposedly 1000 tags were recalled. A bud of mine has one hanging in his garage supposedly he got it in the scrapyard I used to work at. I guess our local DMV just scrapped them. If I had not seen that one I would have chalked it up to urban legend

6 minutes ago, miamistomp said:

Better than " you have a friend in Pennsylvania "

I am originally from South Philly and that phrase is probably a lie 🤡

OH I don't know Back when they had that on PA tags I was trucking up there I had 2 friends in PA one was a blonde and the other one brunette. The Blonde was in Carlisle and the Brunette was in Clearfield. I will point out this was before my 2nd marriage which I have been married now 33 years

• Haha 2

On 6/17/2021 at 3:07 AM, JShaw said:

Looks to be a great setup you've got going.  

Do people really buy vintage wedges?  I thought you just bought irons and woods and the wedges somehow magically appeared.  I definitely don't remember buying the majority of the Wilson Staff and Hogan wedges in my collection.

When buying used, not all sets have the SW included. It might have been mislaid or worn out somewhere along the way. That's why I occasionally look for single sand wedges. I don't require my SW to match my other irons, but I like to have a decent SW when I'm playing the old stuff. 

• Like 2

On 6/21/2021 at 3:18 PM, BIG STU said:

OH I don't know Back when they had that on PA tags I was trucking up there I had 2 friends in PA one was a blonde and the other one brunette. The Blonde was in Carlisle and the Brunette was in Clearfield. I will point out this was before my 2nd marriage which I have been married now 33 years

I'll take either of those slogans over ours in Illinois.... "Illinois, give us all your money before you leave"  🤣

• Haha 1

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"