Please name the popular swing styles... that are taught

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Weight shifters  Lag holders Slot droppers Lower body leaders Swingers to right field X factor coilers Shoulder spinners Release holders Low and Slowers He

One swing, two swing, red swing, blue swing...

MORAD Gankas Gucci Swing Leadbetter A-Swing Paul Wilson Body Swing RBMguy 300 yards 4% dispersion swing Malaska Swing Danny Maude Effortless Swing DJ Watts Wax Golf

Posted Images

On 6/7/2021 at 3:49 PM, PJE said:
  • Home made or "...wouldn't teach that but it works for him."

or

• Classic

Lots of people are into pushing off of the ground. Other people try to rotate through the ball. 

I don't think it matters.  People eventually find what works for them and their physical strengths and limitations. 

What I’ve found somewhat funny, and 100% supports your point, is you if break almost any good player’s swing down on camera their swings more-less find similar points throughout the move - perhaps aspects more exaggerated than others. 

My favorite example was a face-on slow mo of Furyk next to another more “normal” swing.  In slow mo they both hit almost all the same angles but full speed they look way different.  

That’s when I realized you need to swing your swing and golf your ball - however you do it - because as you get better you’ll likely find this positions and a good swing coach knows how to help your move get you to those spots - at least that’s how it worked for me.  

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, HackDaddy360 said:

That’s when I realized you need to swing your swing and golf your ball - however you do it - because as you get better you’ll likely find this positions and a good swing coach knows how to help your move get you to those spots - at least that’s how it worked for me.  

Absolutely! I learned this from bitter experience. I spent three years screwing around with an instructor trying to achieve an "ideal" swing which was "prettier". I played okay but I never felt comfortable. I was so worried about various positions or segments all the time. 

Then I went to another guy who just gave small suggestions. I played the same, and often better, and felt a lot better about it. 

"I want a hamburger..no, a cheeseburger, I want a hot dog. I want a milkshake."

"You'll get nothing and like it."

On 6/7/2021 at 4:34 PM, exgolfpro said:

another camp would be that type of swing taught by Jimmy Ballard, but not sure it has a catchy name.

image.png.9aa072797383abf0af690474a1798099.pngJimmy Ballard brought us The Connection. JB worked with dozens of golf pros... Also examined ball-striking across all sports and applied lessons to golf. Ballard's mentor was Sammy Byrd, former NY Yankees baseball player and teammate of Babe Ruth. After baseball, Byrd became a pro golfer and won several tournaments.

Ballard taught tennis star Arthur Ashe to play golf. Also worked with onetime San Francisco 49ers QB Jim Brodie, the only NFL veteran to ever win a pro golf tournament.

------------------------------

Current Swing Discussions.

If you want polar opposites, consider these two popular approaches:

• Swinging Gate (Classic) Swing. Golfer uses full hip turn in smooth, sweeping swing. (Jack Nicklaus)
  • X-Factor Swing. Golfer restricts hip turn on take away, and then explodes through ball for extra power. (Tiger Woods base swing.) This approach has been associated with lower back trouble in dozens of 30-something tour pros (cumulative trauma). 

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

3 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

image.png.9aa072797383abf0af690474a1798099.pngJimmy Ballard brought us The Connection. JB worked with dozens of golf pros... Also examined ball-striking across all sports and applied lessons to golf. Ballard's mentor was Sammy Byrd, former NY Yankees baseball player and teammate of Babe Ruth. After baseball, Byrd became a pro golfer and won several tournaments.

Ballard taught tennis star Arthur Ashe to play golf. Also worked with onetime San Francisco 49ers QB Jim Brodie, the only NFL veteran to ever win a pro golf tournament.

------------------------------

Current Swing Discussions.

If you want polar opposites, consider these two popular approaches:

• Swinging Gate (Classic) Swing. Golfer uses full hip turn in smooth, sweeping swing. (Jack Nicklaus)
  • X-Factor Swing. Golfer restricts hip turn on take away, and then explodes through ball for extra power. (Tiger Woods base swing.) This approach has been associated with lower back trouble in dozens of 30-something tour pros (cumulative trauma). 

The x factor is interesting.  Here is a look at Bobby Jones who had a full hip turn without much X factor at the top but on the way through it is a different story:

BobbyJonesXfactor.jpg.28f7a5aa6ecd327ef4d398819c6d8916.jpg

Big X factor as he starts his downswing.  So to me trying to produce X factor at TOS is  unnecessary and possibly (probably?) harmful.  I think that letting things flow naturally is a good idea as opposed to creating an unnatural position at the top that has to be constantly trained.  LOL based on my own experience that it is the way I see it!  Of course on the other hand if setting a tight X factor at the top works well for other golfers then I am wrong in their case!  I am guessing that there are folks here who have done quite well with a reduced hip turn?

Edited by Nels55
typo

Driver Maltby KE4 w Aeortech Steelfiber SS65 shaft 46.5”
3 wood Rogue subzero 15 degree with Paderson KG70 F30
Hybrids: 3, 4 and 5 Rogue with Steelfiber HLS980 shaft
Irons: 6 through wedge PXG 0311 with Steelfiber i110cw shaft
Wedge: 50 deg 10 deg bounce MacDaddy 4 S Grind
Wedge: 56 deg 10 deg bounce Jaws S Grind
Wedge: 62 deg 10 deg bounce MacDaddy 4 C Grind (bent to 62 degrees from 60 degrees)
Wedges with steelfiber i110 shafts.
Putter: Strokelab EXO 7; 39.25 inches; 77 degree lie angle; Takimac arthritic grip

41 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

The x factor is interesting.  Here is a look at Bobby Jones who had a full hip turn without much X factor at the top but on the way through it is a different story:

I'm being serious on this: One of the best explanations of the X-Factor swing and potential lumbar damage risks came in Cigar Aficionado magazine. (circa 2015?) Sorry I can't find the link.

Edited by ChipNRun

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

On 6/7/2021 at 4:24 PM, MonteScheinblum said:

Weight shifters 

Lag holders

Slot droppers

Lower body leaders

Swingers to right field

X factor coilers

Shoulder spinners

Release holders

Low and Slowers

Head stillers

Up swingers

Hit downers

Spine angle maintainers

Dang, that's my entire checklist for the first 30 minutes of range time...

• Haha 2
On 6/7/2021 at 6:19 PM, Barfolomew said:

Thanks bro for actually answering question..... haha

On 6/7/2021 at 5:34 PM, exgolfpro said:

Many, many teachers do not fall in these methodology structures, but there are several schools of teaching that have followers.....just off the top of my head, I would say

Stack and Tilt-Bennett/Plummer

TGM (the golfing machine)

Single Plane/Two plane-Jim Hardy

Swing the Clubhead-Ernest Jones/Manuel de la Torre

another camp would be that type of swing taught by Jimmy Ballard, but not sure it has a catchy name.

If I've offended anyone by either not including your particular type of swing or have matched up two types that don't belong together, I"m sorry.  just trying to give the OP something to dig into.  But like I said, many, many teachers and students don't fall into any of these camps and just try to correct any deficiencies someones swing may have.

I'd add:

Moe Norman Single Plane Swing - Graves Brothers or Kirk Junge

Focus on Stillness/Minimalist Swing - Jim Venetos or Kiwan Kanwar

Limited Turn, Vertical Swing - Don Trahan

On 6/9/2021 at 1:11 PM, HackDaddy360 said:

What I’ve found somewhat funny, and 100% supports your point, is you if break almost any good player’s swing down on camera their swings more-less find similar points throughout the move - perhaps aspects more exaggerated than others. 

My favorite example was a face-on slow mo of Furyk next to another more “normal” swing.  In slow mo they both hit almost all the same angles but full speed they look way different.  

If I'm understanding your point, if you have flaws but hit it good...just work on little things to get better ?? Jim furyk swings the way he does because it got him on tour. Changing things at that time wouldn't been bad. But, most don't swing good for themselves, therefore  a change is crucial in many aspects. 

Edited by indianagolf2
48 minutes ago, indianagolf2 said:

If I'm understanding your point, if you have flaws but hit it good...just work on little things to get better ?? Jim furyk swings the way he does because it got him on tour. Changing things at that time wouldn't been bad. But, most don't swing good for themselves, therefore  a change is crucial in many aspects. 

Kind of…

What I’m saying is the focus, for me, is getting your swing into the correct positions at key points in the sweet to hit strike the ball consistently - which are positions most all good players get into (more-less) with all of their swings. 

What the swing “looks like” at speed, once you reach a certain level of proficiency, matters less.  For instance, Rory’s swing is probably my favorite of the modern era outside Tiger and then classically Hogan.  However, Jack, Arnie, DJ, Rahm, Berger, and more - from a swing aesthetics standpoint - don’t really look “great” to me and they get in some positions that seem a little funky - but they all his the right spots throughout the swing. 

I’ve also seen some guys with some really nice looking swings that actually don’t strike it that well - looks pure but lacks in execution. 

So there is no right answer to me in terms of the “right” way to swing -  work on small changes at a time a go golf your ball how you golf it and dont over complicate things. 

Edited by HackDaddy360