Help with utility/driving iron

Posted (edited)

Looking for suggestions on utility/driving iron head/shaft combos. This would be interchangeable with my 18* 5 wood depending on conditions. Love my 5 wood but when its dry and windy (in oklahoma thats pretty often), i feel like a utility/driving iron would be better.

Ideally looking to keep the ball down out of the wind and keep left right dispersion at a minimum. Front to back dispersion/forgiveness not as important. I manage around 166-170mph ball speeds with driver. I Tend to hit it high. Dont have any issues elevating a 14* 3 wood just for a reference. Play anywhere from +1.4- 4 cap, just depends on how much im playing/practicing. I plan on going and testing some later this week but would like some suggestions on some to try. Thanks!

Edited by Red4282
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Zx7 from srixon is one of my favourites. Feels so nice. Easy to hit 

I switch between a 19* 5 wood and a 18* P790 Driving iron.  5 wood is perfect for the winter months here in Florida and I love the driving iron this time of year when it tends to be a little bit more

I’m in Florida and I play an 18* Wilson Staff utility.  The think is great.    I can hit it both ways but I have to really emphasize that swing because it really wants to go pretty straight. 

I switch between a 19* 5 wood and a 18* P790 Driving iron.  5 wood is perfect for the winter months here in Florida and I love the driving iron this time of year when it tends to be a little bit more windy.  I have no issues hitting the iron off the fairway or even out of the rough.  Current driving iron has a Ventus Black 10TX backup one has a Ventus Blue 10X, I found the blue would go a little higher than I was looking for on windy days.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Jetierney13 said:

I switch between a 19* 5 wood and a 18* P790 Driving iron.  5 wood is perfect for the winter months here in Florida and I love the driving iron this time of year when it tends to be a little bit more windy.  I have no issues hitting the iron off the fairway or even out of the rough.  Current driving iron has a Ventus Black 10TX backup one has a Ventus Blue 10X, I found the blue would go a little higher than I was looking for on windy days.

Good info. Where do you get an 18* p790? I only see 17*.. i have the ventus black in the driver and love it. A little surprised to see the blue launching high, as it is one of the shafts i was considering.

6 minutes ago, rugbydave said:

I float around scratch for reference.  I have hit almost all the driving irons.  I struggled with the offset on most and tended to overcook them left.  The Titleist U500 had the least offset and is hands down my favorite.  The TM790 was second....

Pretty low flight with u500? Have you compared it to the srixon zx? Those two you mentioned and the zx Im for sure going to try.

1 minute ago, Red4282 said:

Pretty low flight with u500? Have you compared it to the srixon zx? Those two you mentioned and the zx Im for sure going to try.

It's really easy to hit low running stingers off a tee or from the fairway.  To hit it high requires teeing it up and playing it up in your stance.  Some guys might be able to launch it high from the fairway but it's not something I can do.  During the summer in Texas, it's not uncommon to see them roll out to 300.  If it's soft, about 255-260 is achievable.

The Srixon was way too large of a head and too offset for me.  I play blades and the U500 flows well.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

I love the NLU-01 and the SIM UDI.  Put in the right shaft and you're golden.  As far as shafts, it really depends for you.  I know you say that you hit it high, but a UDI will fly pretty low unless you're a fader.  Some shafts to look into in the mid/mid category are Ventus Blue, DI, and KBS proto.  Ventus Black would be the best low/low option IMO, but most guys either don't make enough ss or struggle to hit a UDI high enough. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Tensei 1k 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

I am hovering at 4, don't carry either utility or driving iron, opting for a Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2 iron.  I have a 90g, HIGH bend, 39.5" Tensei AV White AM2 "S" shaft that gets me a dependable 205y-230y, depending on my joints and ground condition, and 70yrs young. 😛  Damn, I love this game.

• Like 1
  • Titleist TS2 @10.25', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 @16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX
33 minutes ago, rugbydave said:

It's really easy to hit low running stingers off a tee or from the fairway.  To hit it high requires teeing it up and playing it up in your stance.  Some guys might be able to launch it high from the fairway but it's not something I can do.  During the summer in Texas, it's not uncommon to see them roll out to 300.  If it's soft, about 255-260 is achievable.

The Srixon was way too large of a head and too offset for me.  I play blades and the U500 flows well.

Ah thanks. I guess ill need to look for myself. Not a fan of huge bladelengths in my irons. 

28 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I love the NL-U01 and the SIM UDI.  Put in the right shaft and you're golden.  As far as shafts, it really depends for you.  I know you say that you hit it high, but a UDI will fly pretty low unless you're a fader.  Some shafts to look into in the mid/mid category are Ventus Blue, DI, and KBS proto.  Ventus Black would be the best low/low option IMO, but most guys either don't make enough ss or struggle to hit a UDI high enough. 

Ill have to look into the NL u01, although if i cant see it in person or hit it, might be a no go. The SIM udi is nice too, i actually had a gapr lo for a while but got rid of it because it was just so ugly. Hit it well though. I know most utilities hit it much lower than most hybrid/woods, but some of them nowdays have so much chunk in the soles and lower cg, it starts blurring the lines IMO.

10 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

I am hovering at 4, don't carry either utility or driving iron, opting for a Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2 iron.  I have a 90g, HIGH bend, 39.5" Tensei AV White AM2 "S" shaft that gets me a dependable 205y-230y, depending on my joints and ground condition, and 70yrs young. 😛  Damn, I love this game.

damn, if i could hit a 2 iron at 70, id be estatic!

1 hour ago, Red4282 said:

Good info. Where do you get an 18* p790? I only see 17*.. i have the ventus black in the driver and love it. A little surprised to see the blue launching high, as it is one of the shafts i was considering.

Just had mine bent 1 degree weak.  It's not an alarmingly high ball flight but I naturally hit it high and it just was not my preferred window on full swings.  I could manipulate it to get it to where I wanted no issues.

• Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

damn, if i could hit a 2 iron at 70, id be estatic!

I took up the game at 40, and started with a 16' Mizuno 1 iron; carried that for years before switching to 2 iron.  My swing is comfortable with long irons.  I have always been into ball striking too, it feels damn good.  A month back I was playing a firm and fast course, tight lies every hole.  On one Par 4, I got it out there about 238yds; that's been my longest.  I am trying to better it though.  🙂

• Titleist TS2 @10.25', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 @16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 - Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 Tensei White AM2 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX
1 hour ago, Red4282 said:

From a looks standpoint it may be my favorite. How do you feel it flights the ball?

That’s up to you. Can work it high or low. 

Taylormade Sim2 (set at 7.5*)Fuji ventus black 6x
Titleist TS3 18* fuji ventus black 8x 

Ping g425 4hyb at 20.5* stock Alta CB  
Taylormade p750 4-PW PX6.5 
Cleveland RTX4 50/54/58 s400 TI
Oddessey 7CS Tour 
4 hours ago, mcounci2 said:

Not sure if you're price sensitive, but for a part-time club Sub70 699u is an unmatched value

I have one of these and I have to agree.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

3W- Adam’s Tight Lies

3H- Cobra F8

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW

Wedges - Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58

Putter- Tour Edge HP series #1

I'm 61, and still carry a hybrid/iron.  The Maltby Tour FDI heads.  I carry 3, bent to the following 24, 21, 18 degrees. They blend well with my Apex irons, the 6i is 27 degrees. I consider them a 5i-3i, even though that is not how they are marked.

The 18 is great off the tee, always goes straight, unlike my driver.

I’m bagging a U500 right now as a 4 iron replacement (still testing). It seems to be pretty good so far. Playing an MMT UT 125tx in it. No issues off the tee or fairway yet 

• Like 1

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 6x

TSi3 13.5* / Ventus Red 9x

TSi3 19* / Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100•s 4-P / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 50, 54, 58 / Dynamic TI X100

620 / MC X-Firm

WITB Thread

On 6/7/2021 at 3:27 PM, Red4282 said:

I plan on going and testing some later this week but would like some suggestions on some to try. Thanks!

Dynacraft   18* driving iron with Steel Fiber i80 shaft.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I've had a PXG 0311X 4 iron in the bag for this season and have liked it.  Doesn't look quite as good as the old TM UDI's, but it's definitely not offensive looking behind the ball.  Fairly versatile, great off the tee and pretty easy to hit off the deck, but I won't hit it out of the rough unless I've got a really good lie. I never got along with the 4 iron from my 0211 set, so this has fit in nicely. 

G410 Plus 9* Graphite Design Tour AD XC 6
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 16.5* Ventus 6

Taylormade Sim2 Rescue 4 Speeder Motore HB 9.8 Tour Spec
PXG 0211 5-PW Nippon 950GH 
Callaway MD5 48* S Grind KBS-TourV

Callaway MD5 52* S Grind KBS-Tour 610
Callaway MD PM Grind 58* KBS-TourV, 64* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Scotty Cameron Phantom X #8
Titleist AVX

I am a big fan of Srixon Utility irons still using my U45 18deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 105X hybrid.  you may want to look at a 20 or 21 deg utility if you want to match it with your 5 wood distance.

I game my 5 wood but my 18deg driving iron goes much longer and fit into two different positions in my bag but my 5 wood is much older than yours probably which goes much shorter.

• Like 1

Cobra FlyZ+ @ 8.5 deg w/Aldila RIP Alpha X-Stiff tipped 1/2" @ 44.5"
Taylormade 2017 M1 set to 13 deg w/ RBZ TP Aldila RIP Alpha 70X Tipped 1" @ 42.5"
Titleist 909 F2 (18.5deg) Grafalloy Blue (Blue) X Tipped 1.5" @ 41.5"
Srixon Z U45 2 w/ Aldila RIP Alpha 105 X Hybrid shaft @ 39.5"
Srixon Z745 (5-PW) w/ Steelfiber i95X
Callaway MD3 50deg w/ Steelfiber i95X

Callaway MD3 56deg w/ Steelfiber i125S

TM Hi-Toe 60deg w/ Steelfiber i125S
Putter: Odyssey Havok

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, FirePro said:

I am a big fan of Srixon Utility irons still using my U45 18deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 105X hybrid.  you may want to look at a 20 or 21 deg utility if you want to match it with your 5 wood distance.

I game my 5 wood but my 18deg driving iron goes much longer and fit into two different positions in my bag but my 5 wood is much older than yours probably which goes much shorter.

Yea i think it would probably just depend on the conditions. If its calm, wet and soft, the 5 wood probably will be longer or as long, with high launch and carry. But if its dry and windy, hands down the udi would be longer.  Kind of the idea to change em out based on conditions. Summer here is driving iron time. 

Edited by Red4282
  • Like 1

My two favourites after trying most out there are the Titleist u500 and the Mizuno HMB 

Driver = Taylormade SIM2 8* Hzrdus green 70 6.0

= Taylormade 300 Mini 11.5*  (mini driver experiment)

1 iron = Titleist U510 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
Irons = Wilson Staff FG59, DG S300 4-PW
Wedges = Bettinardi HLX 3.0 50*

Taylormade MG2 56*
                   Callaway Jaws MD5 60*

Putter = Odyssey white hot pro 1WS 

Ball = Bridgestone Tour B RXS 

Alright, hit em all just about. Im still somewhat torn.

Looks- p790 hands down first, srixon zx distant second, u500 and sim udi tied for 3rd. The u500 was about tied with second but on the 2 iron i can see that matte finish on the back and it was a putoff. On the three iron i didnt notice it. 

performance-

P790- what a bomber. Highest ball speed average and my top ball speed of the day by a whopping 5 mph. Put several out there at 270 on the monitor. Really had no issues elevating off the mat, and that was the theme for all of these i hit. When i mishit the p790 it was pretty ugly. Low and left. May be a deal breaker.

Srixon. The best feeling. Wow it feels so good. Consistent. Was hitting ropes. Hit like 7 in a row and the furthest i was off the line was like 8 yards. Little chunkier than i imagened. Launch and spin i would say is medium (14-15*) for some reason i was not getting the ball speed with it that i was with others. It was 10 yards shorter than the u500 and a good 20 shorter than the p790. Granted it had one degree more loft, but it shouldnt be that large.

U500. Started with the 3 and i thought this is the one. Looks great good performance, definately firmer and not as good feeling as the srixon. When i switched to the 2 iron is when i could see the matte finish on the back and it kinda put me off. It was a low launcher too averaging 12-13*. Very forgiving.

I think i may go with the zx. Anyone else see lower ball speeds? Was this just an outlier? I was carrying it 230, but ideally need it closer to 240. The u500 hit 240 and p790 was hitting that easy.