Want To Try Graphite In My Irons, Need Some Advice

Hey guys.  I've been playing and building clubs for over 20 years, but I have only built one set of irons for myself with graphite shafts, and they were too dang stiff.  My current irons are G25s with KBS Tour V 120 X straight in.  I like the Tour V shafts, but I have been getting the usual aches and pains for a guy in his early 40's and I want to jump on the graphite bandwagon.  I really want to try the Recoil 95 in stiff, but I'm worried that might be too big a reduction in weight.  What do you guys think?

Bag 1                                                                               Bag 2                                                    Bag 3

PING G400 MAX 10.5 GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X         Titleist 905R 9.5* Speeder S             Cleveland Classic 310 GD Pershing 60 S

PING G25 16.5* 4 Wood UST Attas 4U 7 TS                Titleist 906F2 15* YS6+ FW S           Callaway Warbird 3, 5, & 7 Woods Memphis 10 Steel

Callaway Epic Flash 7 Wood UST Attas 4U 8S            Titleist 906F4 18.5* NV 75 FW S       PING Zing BeCu 5-SW AMT Tour White Black Onyx S300

Titleist 915H 24* & 27* DG S300                                  Titleist 904F 22* DG S300                PING Eye 2 XG 56* & 60* DG S300

PING i210 6-UW DG TI S400                                         Mizuno MP30 4-PW DGS300           PING Sigma Tyne H

PING Glide 3.0 Eye 2 54* & 58* DG TI S400                Mizuno T20 54* & 60* DG TI S400

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball Blade w/Triple Track          Odyssey White Steel #5

Typically, 10g + adjustment is noticeable with most shafts.  I went from 120g 6.0 PX to Steelfiber i95cw "S" and noticed the difference, switched to i110cw "S" and NO issues.  It depends on the shafts profile, your swing and what you're used to. 

Steelfiber and a few other high-end graphite composite shafts are designed to accommodate coming from heavier steel to lighter weight graphite.  Many lightweight graphite shafts are not. 

A while back I changed from Steelfiber i110cw "S" to my current Tensei AV White AM2 "S".  Though they are ascending 2g in weight, lighter long irons at 90g to PW at 106g and SW 108g, the design is for stronger players.   My 106g PW design is so stiff it feels similar to i110cw "S", so no problems with weight.  Even in "X", 95g or lighter weight doesn't work for me.

I have been testing Fujikura MCA 100g "S", which is a high-end shaft, but it's not comfortable, mostly because the profile is different, and it's composite too. 

• Titleist TS2 @10.25', Ventus 5 Series S
  • Titleist TS2 @16', Ventus 6 Series S
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White S
  • Titleist 620 Series 3-4i Tensei AV White S
  • Titleist 620 Series 5-PW - MMT 125S
  • SM6 F-52/8 - MMT 125S
  • SM6 M-58/8 - MMT 125S
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

58 minutes ago, drumdude96 said:

Hey guys.  I've been playing and building clubs for over 20 years, but I have only built one set of irons for myself with graphite shafts, and they were too dang stiff.  My current irons are G25s with KBS Tour V 120 X straight in.  I like the Tour V shafts, but I have been getting the usual aches and pains for a guy in his early 40's and I want to jump on the graphite bandwagon.  I really want to try the Recoil 95 in stiff, but I'm worried that might be too big a reduction in weight.  What do you guys think?

I bet you'd like Steelfiber 95 over the Recoil 95 coming from V- just don't see how you would not overpower the Recoil

Recoil 110 F5 would be a good starting point, if Tour V 120 still fit but produces aches/pain.  

Just my opinion 

• Like 1

Ping Sunday Bag
9 Clubs of Freedom

9 minutes ago, animalgolfs said:

I bet you'd like Steelfiber 95 over the Recoil 95 coming from V- just don't see how you would not overpower the Recoil

Recoil 110 F5 would be a good starting point, if Tour V 120 still fit but produces aches/pain.  

Just my opinion 

I hit the Tour V 120 just fine, but I ain't getting any younger, either.  I could easily play the Tour V in the 110 stiff and not have any problems with them.  Maybe I would turn the ball over a bit more than I do now, but right now it's not a whole lot anyway.  The G25s tend to fly pretty straight.  So the Recoil 110s would probably be a better fit then.  I think I'll still try them in F4 instead of F5.  I want something I can keep in the bag for at least a few years, and I don't see me needing extra stiff for a whole lot longer, since a neck surgery may not be all that far off, unfortunately.  I'll put that off for as long as I possibly can, believe me.  I think I'll just go ahead and order a set of the 110 Recoils then while they are still in stock.  It's not exactly a cheap experiment, but it's still a helluva lot cheaper than buying a new set of irons.  About the only thing I'm interested in is the i210 anyway.  All the super-jacked lofts in most other sets makes me want to puke.  Seriously, a 24* 6 iron and a 42* PW?! WTF?!

• Like 2

Bag 1                                                                               Bag 2                                                    Bag 3

PING G400 MAX 10.5 GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X         Titleist 905R 9.5* Speeder S             Cleveland Classic 310 GD Pershing 60 S

PING G25 16.5* 4 Wood UST Attas 4U 7 TS                Titleist 906F2 15* YS6+ FW S           Callaway Warbird 3, 5, & 7 Woods Memphis 10 Steel

Callaway Epic Flash 7 Wood UST Attas 4U 8S            Titleist 906F4 18.5* NV 75 FW S       PING Zing BeCu 5-SW AMT Tour White Black Onyx S300

Titleist 915H 24* & 27* DG S300                                  Titleist 904F 22* DG S300                PING Eye 2 XG 56* & 60* DG S300

PING i210 6-UW DG TI S400                                         Mizuno MP30 4-PW DGS300           PING Sigma Tyne H

PING Glide 3.0 Eye 2 54* & 58* DG TI S400                Mizuno T20 54* & 60* DG TI S400

5 hours ago, drumdude96 said:

I hit the Tour V 120 just fine, but I ain't getting any younger, either.  I could easily play the Tour V in the 110 stiff and not have any problems with them.  Maybe I would turn the ball over a bit more than I do now, but right now it's not a whole lot anyway.  The G25s tend to fly pretty straight.  So the Recoil 110s would probably be a better fit then.  I think I'll still try them in F4 instead of F5.  I want something I can keep in the bag for at least a few years, and I don't see me needing extra stiff for a whole lot longer, since a neck surgery may not be all that far off, unfortunately.  I'll put that off for as long as I possibly can, believe me.  I think I'll just go ahead and order a set of the 110 Recoils then while they are still in stock.  It's not exactly a cheap experiment, but it's still a helluva lot cheaper than buying a new set of irons.  About the only thing I'm interested in is the i210 anyway.  All the super-jacked lofts in most other sets makes me want to puke.  Seriously, a 24* 6 iron and a 42* PW?! WTF?!

I'm with you. I have G25s with tour concept x1s. Love them, but I want to build a graphite set for the near future when 47 ye old joints start talking to me more than they already do now. I look for i210s in my specs which are rare (silver dot). I do see some G25s but used prices are nuts compared to to pre-pandemic. I had i20s with recoil proto 125 f5 a few years ago and didn't like them. I have SF i110s in x that are too much work. Testing graphite is tough. It's not cheap to buy a handful of shafts to test out. Pulls are harder to find when play over length. I wish there was more inventory available in the older Aldila shafts, vs proto 100, NV Mlti. I keep my eye out for sets but usually only see the lighter weight regular versions

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, drumdude96 said:

I hit the Tour V 120 just fine, but I ain't getting any younger, either.  I could easily play the Tour V in the 110 stiff and not have any problems with them.  Maybe I would turn the ball over a bit more than I do now, but right now it's not a whole lot anyway.  The G25s tend to fly pretty straight.  So the Recoil 110s would probably be a better fit then.  I think I'll still try them in F4 instead of F5.  I want something I can keep in the bag for at least a few years, and I don't see me needing extra stiff for a whole lot longer, since a neck surgery may not be all that far off, unfortunately.  I'll put that off for as long as I possibly can, believe me.  I think I'll just go ahead and order a set of the 110 Recoils then while they are still in stock.

Why are you thinking they might go out of stock?   

The best way to proceed would be to buy a single recoil 95 to test.   Build/convert a single club.  Test it as it first then wrap some lead tape (15 gm) around to test out how the 95 gm weight compares to the 110 gm weight.    That would tell you 1) which weight is better and 2) if the F4's might be too soft for you or not (the 110's really aren't that much different than the 95's in terms of stiffness).  That should give you the best possible answer without spending too much money.

Not sure where you are but another alternative is the recoils are becoming a lot more popular upgrade.  So you might find the Recoils in an OEM fitting cart somewhere nearby you can demo (the head doesn't really matter to determine which weight and flex will be better fit).

But if you do want to take the risk of buying a full set w/o testing, then I'd also lean toward the 110 F4's.  Although that doesn't necessarily mean you couldn't transition to something lighter.  I went from DG's to 95 gm shafts 20 years ago without any real problems.  But back then I was so happy about not having any more pain I probably would have convinced myself into believing anything was working out well.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 2

I transitioned from 120 KBS down to 95g shafts a few years back more because of a used set of 95G S shafts vs proper fitting. If I was to be fit I probably would be in the 105-110g range but I made these work. Elbows super happy now. 

Is there a reason you don't want to build up a KBS TGi 95 or 105 to try out? I have a few of those for practice clubs and they feel quite smooth and remind me of the 120 FLTs I gamed. 

For me it was a $50 experiment to get a new shaft, unless you find a set of pulls for $200 on BST better value there 🙂 

11 hours ago, drumdude96 said:

After some swing changes quite a few years back I moved from the Project X to the KBS Tour V.  I also decided to go with Recoils after doing extensive testing of graphite shafts.  With my last irons I managed to grab three 7 iron heads of my set and tried.....

Recoil 125 - Reg and Proto

Recoil 110 - Reg and Proto

Recoil 95

Steelfiber (three different variants here)

Catalyst 6.5 100

Late last year early this year I gave the MMT, Accra, KBS TGi a run just to see how I liked them.

In the end, I am playing the Regular Recoil 110.  I am sure someone on here could tell you if the profiles are similar, but the feel was similar, and the results were actually a tad bit better for me dispersion wise.

I was a Project X 6.5 guy, KBS Tour V in X, C Taper 130 X, I played everything in X.  I am 45 and average around 118 with the driver.   However I am not a long (distance wise) iron guy, a guy I regularly play with that I out drive by 40+ yards, is only about half a club shorter than I am with the irons.  I play a controlled shot with my irons, not swinging nearly as hard.  I also had wrist surgery just over a year ago.  I tell you this to say I am playing the F5 110 Regular Recoils, they are soft stepped once, but that was mainly based from the fact that I hit center more often soft stepped, I do not think it changed the flex that much at all.

I did not care for any of the lighter weight options I tried except the Catalyst 100.   In the end it was a little expensive and if I had asked on here I probably would have bought less shafts, but it was fun regardless.  In the end I sold all of the shafts but the steel fiber 110, and catalyst 100 as they both were pretty close and would be the first things I try if I want to experiment again.

• Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS on Ventus Purple
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade SIM2 Titanium - testing shafts
  • 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • Hybrid - Cobra King Tec 17* 
  • Util - Srixon ZXU 18* on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 4&5 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 (6-9) on Recoil 110
  • Wedges - Clevelland 46* Zipcore, Cleveland 50* mid Zipcore, Cleveland 54* mid Zipcore, Cleveland Zipcore 60* Mid all on Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66 on UST Frequency Filtered with SS Counter Core
  • Ball - Srixon Z Star XV auditioning Snell, Bridgestone and one other this offseason.

Yes it is a sizable reduction in weight.  You may want to install counterweights or the opti-vibe counterweights if you insist on the Recoil 95 gram.  Otherwise you're playing with a much lighter club unless you add lead tape to the head and that's a lot lead tape to add which will change the properties of the club.

Fujikura makes a Pro 115 gram iron shaft that is good.  

RH

Are we talking about the regular recoils or protos?  I have the protos in 125 F5.   Tested the Tour V awhile back.  Either the recoil 110 or 125 proto would work for you.  If you play the Tour V in x, then you should probably go with F5 flex.  They might play just a tade soft to flex but they're not overly soft to flex.  I would say at F5 they play closer to S+.  I know the Tour V's lauch and spin in the mid range.  For the recoils, expect a higher launch and mid/low spin. 

• Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Diamana PD 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

I moved from the Recoil 110 F4 to the 680 F4 in all my irons/wedges with minimal adjustment, and find I am noticeably less fatigued after a round. The F4 plays more like a regular flex to me though.

GBB Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5 Project X EvenFlow Green
GBB Epic 5/7 wood
Maverick 3/4/5 Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 6-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58
Stroke Lab R Ball Slant

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bvanlieu said:

I transitioned from 120 KBS down to 95g shafts a few years back more because of a used set of 95G S shafts vs proper fitting. If I was to be fit I probably would be in the 105-110g range but I made these work. Elbows super happy now. 

Is there a reason you don't want to build up a KBS TGi 95 or 105 to try out? I have a few of those for practice clubs and they feel quite smooth and remind me of the 120 FLTs I gamed. 

For me it was a $50 experiment to get a new shaft, unless you find a set of pulls for $200 on BST better value there 🙂 

There is a very good reason: the $80 a shaft price.  Recoils are $45 each, which is much easier to stomach.  Nowhere are the TGi $50 that I can find.

Edited by drumdude96

2 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Are we talking about the regular recoils or protos?  I have the protos in 125 F5.   Tested the Tour V awhile back.  Either the recoil 110 or 125 proto would work for you.  If you play the Tour V in x, then you should probably go with F5 flex.  They might play just a tade soft to flex but they're not overly soft to flex.  I would say at F5 they play closer to S+.  I know the Tour V's lauch and spin in the mid range.  For the recoils, expect a higher launch and mid/low spin. 

I'm looking at the regular Recoils.  They don't stock the protos on Golfworks.  I guess before I make a $400+ mistake I should buy one or two in F4 and F5 to make sure which flex I like better.  There's not a place around me where I can test them out, so experimentation is the only way for me to try them.

19 minutes ago, drumdude96 said:

I'm looking at the regular Recoils.  They don't stock the protos on Golfworks.  I guess before I make a $400+ mistake I should buy one or two in F4 and F5 to make sure which flex I like better.  There's not a place around me where I can test them out, so experimentation is the only way for me to try them.

The regular recoils play more like the Tour-V to me personally.  I tried them both.  The recoil protos played closer to the Dynamic Gold for me personally.

• Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS on Ventus Purple
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade SIM2 Titanium - testing shafts
  • 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • Hybrid - Cobra King Tec 17* 
  • Util - Srixon ZXU 18* on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 4&5 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 (6-9) on Recoil 110
  • Wedges - Clevelland 46* Zipcore, Cleveland 50* mid Zipcore, Cleveland 54* mid Zipcore, Cleveland Zipcore 60* Mid all on Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66 on UST Frequency Filtered with SS Counter Core
  • Ball - Srixon Z Star XV auditioning Snell, Bridgestone and one other this offseason.

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

The regular recoils play more like the Tour-V to me personally.  I tried them both.  The recoil protos played closer to the Dynamic Gold for me personally.

Good info.  I still like DG, but Tour V is really good.  And the fact that I can get the regular Recoils from Golfworks is a big plus.  And I could always go with Steelfibers if I wanted something that played like DG.

Edited by drumdude96

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, drumdude96 said:

Gotcha.  You can always go through Will Peoples if you really want the protos.  But yeah, def get a couple regular recoils to see if F4 or F5 works better.  Good luck. 

Edited by phizzy30

1 hour ago, Itsjustagame said:

I moved from the Recoil 110 F4 to the 680 F4 in all my irons/wedges with minimal adjustment, and find I am noticeably less fatigued after a round. The F4 plays more like a regular flex to me though.

With the 680 F4 or other lightweight Recoil options, I would agree that the F4 will still play more like a regular flex.  With the Recoil 95 and 110, I would say the F4 plays like a true stiff flex.  When testing the 95 F4 vs 95 F3, I got much better numbers with the F4, comparable to the Steelfiber i110 S that I have been fit for previously.  As has been said many times, the Recoil 95s are terrific shafts.  95 F4 is no whimpy shaft IMHO.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* Driver, Mitsubishi MMT 60 S

Taylormade 300 Mini Driver, Mitsubishi MiDr Proto 65 R

Callaway Epic Flash 7 Wood, Accra FX 2.0 200F M3

Srixon Z H85 4 Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.0

Ping G425 Irons 5-UW, Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw R

Cleveland RTX Zipcore SW (54*/10) and LW (58*/10), TT DG Spinner Wedge

Scotty Cameron 009-M Putter

One more question:  how does the Recoil 110 in F4 flex compare to Dynamic Gold S300?  I've always had great success with S300, even though my iron distances would put me in X100.  I just prefer the feel and ball flight of S300 over X100.  

9 minutes ago, drumdude96 said:

One more question:  how does the Recoil 110 in F4 flex compare to Dynamic Gold S300?  I've always had great success with S300, even though my iron distances would put me in X100.  I just prefer the feel and ball flight of S300 over X100.  

They launch higher and spin a bit more than the S300. 

1 minute ago, phizzy30 said:

They launch higher and spin a bit more than the S300. 

Hmm. What about the Recoil 110 F5?  Closer to S300, or is it just too different a profile?

2 minutes ago, drumdude96 said:

Hmm. What about the Recoil 110 F5?  Closer to S300, or is it just too different a profile?

Good question.  I would have to say the launch difference is marginal at best.  The F5 spins a little less than the S300.  It will have to do more with your angle of attack though.

18 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Good question.  I would have to say the launch difference is marginal at best.  The F5 spins a little less than the S300.  It will have to do more with your angle of attack though.

Sounds like maybe soft stepping the F5 might be the ticket then. 

To hell with it!  I'm just going to order a set of Recoil 110 F5s and go straight in with them.  I could always soft step them later on if need be.  Thanks for all the help guys!

• Like 3

I just built a 7 iron to test a 95g Fujikura Pro Iron in Tour S. My normal clubs have S300 AMT Tour White, which in the 7 iron is about 120g.
While the Fujikura is lighter, it's not a huge leap, and I really liked the feel and ball flight.

Sub 70 849 Pro 10.5° - ProForce V2 Black 6F4 S
Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 15° 3W - Attas Coool 6S
Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 2H 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S

2015 OnOff Kuro Forged 4-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour S

Nike VR Pro 52°-10° Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour S
Nike VR Pro 56°-14° Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour S
Nike VR Pro 58° DS Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour S
Grips - Number One 50 Pro Series

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport (1996) - KBS black CT Tour, Iomic Black Army
MaxFli Tour (Yellow)

3 hours ago, drumdude96 said:

To hell with it!  I'm just going to order a set of Recoil 110 F5s and go straight in with them.  I could always soft step them later on if need be.  Thanks for all the help guys!

This is the (wrx) Way. Mull an idea for < 24 hours and just buy a whole set vs. 1. We are an impatient bunch 🙂

I think you are choosing amongst many very good shafts, and it should treat you well regardless. 

- b

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, bvanlieu said:

This is the (wrx) Way. Mull an idea for < 24 hours and just buy a whole set vs. 1. We are an impatient bunch 🙂

I think you are choosing amongst many very good shafts, and it should treat you well regardless. 

- b

I'm definitely impatient. I ordered the 110 F5 in 4-Gw. I tried an 80 gram Recoil a couple hours ago and it was definitely too light. I think the 110 was a good choice.

Edited by drumdude96
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, animalgolfs said:

Told you early on 110 F5 would be a good starting point 😁😅

C'mon now. This is WRX. You know we can't just go with the first logical answer and call it good, no matter how much sense it makes. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’m guessing you made the right call on the 110’s. As for flex, you’ll have to wait and find out. I went from shafts I the 110-115 gram range to the recoil 95s and they feel really light. Keep in mind that recoil 95s in F4 are really in the 92-93 gram range after cutting them to length. 

Ping g425 Max 12/Tensei orange 55
Ping g410 4h & 5h hybrids/Tensei blue

Callaway 2016 Apex 6-P/Elevate 95

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 58 

TP Mills Sycamore/Spaulding TPM VIII/Bellum Winmore 787 Tie-Fighter/TP Mills Nellie