Reason not to play multiple hybrids?

jetandollie

I do. Currently playing a Ping G425 2H and a 2021 Cally Apex 4H. I have horrible consistency with the long irons and these just fit my game very well. 

• Like 2

Shanks 2021 WITB

O.B. Finder- Cally Epic Speed LS 🔹🔹🔹Autoflex 505X

3W- Sim2 Max Tensei Blue 7S

5W- Epic Max MMT 7S 

4H- Apex 21 MMT 8S (Testing the Epic Speed Super Hybrid)

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout

SW/LW- Ping Glide Forged 54/58 (Testing the Jaws Full Face, and the Ping Forged Pro ATM though.....)

Flat One- Scotty Phantom X6 Tour Stability Shaft

Pro V1X

Vessel Players III 

Double post

Edited by extrastiff

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

6 hours ago, Clubhoe said:

As I said, its probably true that irons and hybrids are equally workable.

But how many golfers would have to be convinced of that? Most.

Simply because a club that has less volume, we instinctively believe it has more workability.

And we usually have better results with what we have greater confidence in.

My reference to youtube videos is a general opinion of their credibility, due to so many contradictions in golf tips.

Ok lol So u meant to say “lack of basic golf equipment knowledge, and lack of desire to validate and trust the requisite research about golf equipment, leads to basing approaches to equipment in faulty logic” instead of ........“workability.”

Edited by extrastiff

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

6 hours ago, extrastiff said:

The “many people” ....hybrids typically have longer shafts. So yes, if they do not take that easily quantifiable factor into account, I can see why one would think that. 

can u please link a video with two “coaches” stating contradictory theories on hybrid vs iron “workability.”  I doubt they are referring to any factors apart from shaft length. 

Cutting my hybrids down to iron length was an "a-ha!" moment.

The extra inch and a half of shaft vs. a comparably lofted iron wasn't helping with swing and contact quality. My general impression is many (most?) off-the-rack hybrids come with shafts that are way too long.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Zero! I have 3 4 5 6 in the bag currently. And I can cut threw the wind with the 6 no problem. 

• Like 1

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

3 hours ago, extrastiff said:

Ok lol So u meant to say “lack of basic golf equipment knowledge, and lack of desire to validate and trust the requisite research about golf equipment, leads to basing approaches to equipment in faulty logic” instead of ........“workability.”

Sure. Otherwise known as feel.

Edited by Clubhoe

20 hours ago, Old Tom Morris said:

I think the first hybrid ever was the old TaylorMade Raylor back in the late 80s early 90s.

First-gen Raylors were more of a trouble-club/fairway wood.

image.png.5a4457371161a9ea439e97c5d4f5f7cf.png

2010 Raylors were more of a hybrid. Boat hull sole great for splitting rough and getting ball out. One challenge: keeping clubhead level at address, don't rock back on heel or let toe dip - sends shot offline. And, occasional low-face hit would be bullet that flew the green at worst time.

Used Raylor 3 (19*) in place of 5W for a couple of seasons, almost picked up R4.

These Raylors came with 65-gram REAX shaft, a slightly heavier one might have worked better for me at the time.

You can still find 2nd-gen Raylors here and there for about $45. If it looks interesting, give it a try!

Edited by ChipNRun
  • Like 1

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

1 hour ago, ChipNRun said:

First-gen Raylors were more of a trouble-club/fairway wood.

image.png.5a4457371161a9ea439e97c5d4f5f7cf.png

2010 Raylors were more of a hybrid. Boat hull sole great for splitting rough and getting ball out. One challenge: keeping clubhead level at address, don't rock back on heel or let toe dip - sends shot offline. And, occasional low-face hit would be bullet that flew the green at worst time.

Used Raylor 3 (19*) in place of 5W for a couple of seasons, almost picked up R4.

These Raylors came with 65-gram REAX shaft, a slightly heavier one might have worked better for me at the time.

You can still find 2nd-gen Raylors here and there for about $45. If it looks interesting, give it a try!

The old Ginty patents must have expired for TaylorMade to introduce “boat hull” design.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

19 minutes ago, Old Tom Morris said:

The old Ginty patents must have expired for TaylorMade to introduce “boat hull” design.

@Old Tom Morris Thanks for mentioning Ginty. Do you recall ever seeing a callaway hybrid club with a Ginty-esque sole? (other than the Warbird)

saw this in Golfweek USAToday: “In the early 1990s, Thompson considered suing Callaway Golf over its Warbird sole, which bore a striking resemblance to the sole of the Ginty. After Thompson’s death in 1995, Callaway wasted little time in purchasing the Ginty trademark and patent from the Thompson estate.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2006/10/30/2006-retro-active-ginty/

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

@Old Tom Morris Thanks for mentioning Ginty. Do you recall ever seeing a callaway hybrid club with a Ginty-esque sole? (other than the Warbird)

saw this in Golfweek USAToday: “In the early 1990s, Thompson considered suing Callaway Golf over its Warbird sole, which bore a striking resemblance to the sole of the Ginty. After Thompson’s death in 1995, Callaway wasted little time in purchasing the Ginty trademark and patent from the Thompson estate.

3 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

I had a warbird 7 wood at one point and but not another  Callaway fairway wood since. 

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Went from all irons (plus Driver) five years ago to Team Four Hybrids.  Messed around with hybrids starting with the first gen TM rescue, sporadically bagged an Adams but didn't find one I truly loved until the Titleist 818H1.  Started with one, quickly went to two, then three.  Dropped the 5i last year and added the 6h.  Sorely tempted to pick up a 7h, though it would probably have to be a Ping.

Experimented with Ping G425 3, 5, 7 hybrid at stock lofts at h th ex start of the season, so 19, 26, 34 degrees. Then 9 Iron at about 40 degrees. Mixed results with my gaps, possibly due to the shaft lengths of the hybrids being longer. Dropped the 7 hybrid and added 7 and 8 iron bag in the bag. So far so good. 

56 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2006/10/30/2006-retro-active-ginty/

image.png.11e3f62ea4882df79b07b762b47d9671.pngResemblance maybe, striking not really. The Ginty (left) had a boat hull type design. But, the sole had a smooth wave with a ridge mid-sole. The Warbird would have been an improvement on the concept, altering the actual sole dynamics.

The Warbird had concave depressions in both the toe and heel areas. This produced a sort of hovercraft effect in which generated an anti-dig movement through the turf, rather than slide-through à la Ginty.

Wedges feature a similar concave sole depression. Examples are the Ping Glide Eye2 grind and the Callaway MD2 and MD-PM U-grind

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

I struggle with hybrids -- much more so than with long irons.

Currently carrying a P790 UDI 2i, and 3-pw 718 CB. I love the CB 3 iron. I hit a high ball and generate a lot of spin with Irons. I either block or pull every hybrid I try to play. 

I am not perfect with irons by any means, but my misses tend to be less egregious.  The 818H1 and Ping hybrids I tried were disasters.

Maybe I try to hit them like woods?

Titleist TSi3 10* (neutral), Ventus Blue 6x

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero 3W 15* (-1), PX HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 63 (in timeout)

Taylor Made RSi TP UDI 2i KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff

Titleist 718 CB 3-4 Irons; Project X LZ 6.0 120

Titleist 718 CB 5-PW; Project X LZ 6.5 125

Titleist Vokey SM7 50, 54, 58

Titleist Scotty Newport 2

If you need a little extra help getting the ball in the air and could use the extra forgiveness (which seems to me to be about 80% of the golfers I see on my local munis), then go with hybrids down to at least 5h. I understand and appreciate the price difference between irons/hybrids can be prohibitive, but Mizuno's JPX 921 Fli-Hi hybrid is just $125 and is available all the way down to 7h (I have the Fli-Hi 4h, and love it). And it's true hybrids can be a drag in the wind, but just keep a 4 or 5 iron and throw it in the bag when you need it...

In the past I had trouble hooking hybrids that I picked up here and there with stock S flex shafts.  I would generally losing them left, right and sometimes long.  Anyway, I had a Callaway Rogue 4 hybrid that put an aerotech steelfiber HLS980 shaft in and it instantly became my favorite club.  I added a 3 hybrid and then replaced my 5 iron with a 5 hybrid.  I went back and forth with the 5 iron or 5 hybrid in the bag for a while but realized that the 5 hybrid works better.  Anyway I have been pretty happy with the 3, 4 and 5 hybrids in my bag but lately I have been noticing that I am not hitting the 6 iron as consistently as the 5 hybrid...  So today I ordered Rogue 6 hybrid from Callaway Preowned and a steelfiber shaft from Golfworks.  LOL I am slowly moving towards all hybrids...  I still practice a fair amount with my 5 iron which makes the 5 hybrid feel easier to hit when I am playing.

Driver Maltby KE4 w Aeortech Steelfiber SS65 shaft 46.5”
3 wood Rogue subzero 15 degree with Paderson KG70 F30
Hybrids: 3, 4 and 5 Rogue with Steelfiber HLS980 shaft
Irons: 6 through wedge PXG 0311 with Steelfiber i110cw shaft
Wedge: 50 deg 10 deg bounce MacDaddy 4 S Grind
Wedge: 56 deg 10 deg bounce Jaws S Grind
Wedge: 62 deg 10 deg bounce MacDaddy 4 C Grind (bent to 62 degrees from 60 degrees)
Wedges with steelfiber i110 shafts.
Putter: Strokelab EXO 7; 39.25 inches; 77 degree lie angle; Takimac arthritic grip

When I came back to golf a few years ago and wasn't your prototypical 230 yd 7 iron hitting WRXer, I went to the local golf shop and bought the cheapest new set I could find - The Adams A12OS - 4-6 hybrid - 7-GW irons. Played that until a couple of years ago. I still play the hybrids but have upgraded the irons to Ping i210s. I've bought a 5 and 6 iron in the 210s but haven't gamed the 5 iron this year yet. I just hit the 5 hybrid better and more consistently. Will probably upgrade the hybrids this year as well.

Highly recommend at least trying hybrids in the long and mid iron ranges. Unless you're a 230 yd 7 iron hitting WRXer of course. 😆

Edited by Johnnypenso
Error correction

I was never a hybrid fan until I shortened the shafts.

I now play a 3 hybrid with a 4 hybrid shaft, 4 with a 5, 5 with a 6.

Another cheap option are the Mizuno JPX HiFli hybrids, which come with the same length shafts as the equivalent iron.

TSi2 Hzrdus Smoke
Cobra F6 Baffler

Ping G425/Epic Flash Hybrids
Cobra Forged Tec/MIM Tour Copper Irons
PXG/CBX FF wedges
PXG One and Done 

Hybrids just don't feel great to hit.

Flush a long iron and the feel is sublime.

Crush a fairway wood and the feel is very satisfying.

I almost feel that if I had to play hybrids I just wouldn't enjoy the game so much and the striking sensation is the least enjoyable of any clubs.

As always YMMV.

Cobra F8+ 9° XCaliber 6+ S 45” //  Cobra F8 14.5° XCaliber FW S 43.25” //  Cobra F7 18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX85 S 42.5” //  Titleist 818H1 19° at 21° Project X EvenFlow 6.0 S 90G 40.5” // Srixon Z565 4, 6-PW Nippon N.S. Pro 980GH DST S // Cleveland CBX 50.11 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  Wilson Infinite The Bean 34" Super Stroke 2.0XL+//  Titleist Pro V1 //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

anything lower than 18 deg or so goes way too low

anything more than 22 deg flys way to high

So for me I love to carry one.  19 or 20 deg ish.  

Right now I don't have one though

• Like 1

TITLEIST TSI3 10 TOUR AD DI6

TITLEIST TSI2 15 TOUR AD DI7

SRIXON ZX7 3-PW MODUS 120

ZIPCORE 52 56 60

BETTINARDI QUEEN BEE

I've got decently high swing speed (not golfwrx SS mind you) and I carry 3 and 4 hybrid (Ping G410).  They're just so easy to hit and flexible.  Bunting them is super easy from suspect lies etc.  I struggle with contact taking some off long irons so the hybrids work for me.  I just had to learn to swing easier with them.  If I try to hit 4 hybrid like I hit 4 iron it goes everywhere.  If just swing smooth and easy it goes just as far as 4 iron and straight(ish)

• Like 1

Saw a TXG segment from Ian and Matt on hybrids. Matt was blown away by how accurately the 3H and 4H flew, and how smooth they felt.

One suggestion: Take standard hybrids and trim back to "iron replacement" shaft length for better control.

• Like 1