2021 LPGA MediHeal Championship (Jun 10 - 13)

Wie missed the cut by a shot, would have been a decent chance to play the weekend (member).

She is currently in category 4 (winner last 3 years).  Does her 2018 HSBC extend to next year as well (2019, 2020/2021, 2022)?  Are there also any extensions due to injury or maternity?  Just wondering how long she can play if the results aren't there (not easy with injury and obligations at home although plenty of players do it).

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Btw despite all these SYR posts, I actually like her style and find her classy... Heck she's one of my picks in the LPGA contest we have here.   She's down to earth btw -- even goes grocery

All this talk about So Yeon, my question is what's the LPGA trying to tell her, pairing her with Julie Inkster and Christie Kerr this week 😂

Her English is pretty good but she may learn some new vocabulary this week.

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, agolf1 said:

Wie missed the cut by a shot, would have been a decent chance to play the weekend (member).

She is currently in category 4 (winner last 3 years).  Does her 2018 HSBC extend to next year as well (2019, 2020/2021, 2022)?  Are there also any extensions due to injury or maternity?  Just wondering how long she can play if the results aren't there (not easy with injury and obligations at home although plenty of players do it).

Actually I think everyone at +4 made the cut on the number. All Katelyn Dambaugh had to do was par holes 8 & 9 to shut out all the +4's, but she bogey'd them both instead.

Edited by BobMorris
  • Like 2
12 minutes ago, BobMorris said:

Actually I think everyone at +4 made the cut on the number. All Katelyn Dambaugh had to do was par holes 8 & 9 to shut out all the +4's, but she bogey'd them both instead.

You are right, they website is now different with +4 = T70.  I thought everyone was finished last time I looked but maybe not.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, agolf1 said:

She got an extra year for winning the HSBC this year due to the pandemic. Normally it would have been a two year exemption. Seems like she would be eligible for a maternity exemption next year but I’m not sure. 

Edited by JK Ward
18 hours ago, KBong said:

Lousy scoring in the AM....windy & cold?

TV never captures it....LMGC looks quite hilly.....wonder how many members cart it.

Most golfers at privates here walk....it never gets too hot here....Capilano is the hilliest of the privates.

TV definitely washes out some of the hills. Eg, the approach shot on 7 is very downhill. So is the par-3 twelfth. Approaches on 8,9, and 13 are much more uphill than they look on tv. 

(an aside:  I don’t know why they’re doing the massive renovation here. I think the course is great as it is. )

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, lchang said:

TV definitely washes out some of the hills. Eg, the approach shot on 7 is very downhill. So is the par-3 twelfth. Approaches on 8,9, and 13 are much more uphill than they look on tv. 

(an aside:  I don’t know why they’re doing the massive renovation here. I think the course is great as it is. )

They're planning to take out a large number of trees. Sad. I wonder how many golf balls they'll collect. Lol.

• Haha 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping i200 6-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

11 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Lauren Kim has only played in 7 tournaments prior to this in the past 2 seasons, and missed the cut in 6 of them. She finished 81st at this year's Pure Silk.

Might explain why I don't know anything about Lauren Kim.  I would hope to learn something from Golf Channel during coverage but I'm not going to hold my breath. 

18 hours ago, lchang said:

Makes NO SENSE why they are going to CULL  200 trees.....WTH.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

1) Is it too soon to label Alison as being "back"? 

2) Lydia really should become a magician. How did she manage only one bogie with some of those tee shots? 

1) I need to see a year of steady results before I'll say a pro is "BACK"

2) Lydia's driver can be GARBAGE.....there's missing FW's and hitting it into the rough and then there's hitting it into the trees/hazards...Lydia is doing the latter....leading to bogeys and doubles....it's been happening for some time.

Lydia has missed some very makeable 3-7 foots putts...if she made those putts....she'd -7 or -8 and ready to POUNCE on the non LPGA winners at the top....IMO...she's too far back.

I know the pros are likely fully vaccinated????.....I'm I the only one a bit shocked to see them signing autographs w/o a mask.

I kinda surprised autographs and picture requests are allowed.

There are still outbreaks here in hospitals and LTC's....and I gotta believe staff have been fully vaccinated for months???

Likely the variants???

I'm on board with a first time winner.  Really liked Lauren Kim's interview after the round but winning may be a bit too much to ask, she just hasn't been there on the final day any time recently.  I'm on Team Lauren though!  Would also love an Albane win, she's awesome. 

If I'm betting* with head instead of heart I like Min Lee and Castren.  Lee is hot and just won on the Symetra and Castren is too good to not win very soon.  I would also place a flier on a VERY ticked off Danielle Kang, she could be so irked by what happened on 18 that she could come out and shoot 62.  Four back is nothing.

(* I don't bet, even though it is legal to do so in my jurisdiction)

• Like 2
10 hours ago, North Texas said:

Don't understand why Danielle Kang took forever to play her next after hitting it out of bounds. Isn't the rule obvious? 

Not only that, but she put herself in an awkward spot with her drop on the slope. You get 1 club length from the reference point no closer to the hole. She could have dropped the ball further to the left on the flatter portion of the bunker. The fact that the ball was originally above her feet contributed to her airmailing the green.

Also, not sure what they were yabbering on about the footprints. If you don't want the ball landing in a footprint, stand behind the spot where you intend to drop it, not to the side. As long as the ball is dropped from knee height you can stand anywhere.

She could also have taken a drop on a line behind the point of her original shot. I have to look at the shot again to see how much room she had behind the spot.

• Like 3

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I'm doubling down on my odd leaderboard comment. Lol. 

This is only Min Lee's third event of the season, and 8th since 2019. She didn't play on the tour last year. She's missed half the cuts, and her best finish was 31T. She's been on tour since 2015, so she's definitely committed. I watched her play in 2017 at the Volvik. She was in In Gee's group. She seemed to have a solid game, but just missed the cut.

Matilda has one top ten in 14 previous events. Albane has been struggling this season and last. She did manage a top 10 at the Drive On in March.

What a rollercoaster for Danielle. At least she had a good laugh after sailing her bunker shot OB on the 18th. The 'ol Danielle would have had a meltdown.

Odds are definitely looking good for a first time winner, but as we saw at Olympic, the course has teeth, and over par rounds by the top of the leaderboard is a possibility, as is a 6 under round. I'd say the players at -5 still have a chance. The six players at -4 really have their work cut out for them.

Watch out for A Lim. She's missed four cuts this season, but seems to put up very good final rounds when she makes the cut. 

Any of the possible first time winners would make good stories, though. 

• Like 1

Been busy this week but great event so far, course is a solid test but you can still score on it.  After Danielle messed up on 18, it's given a whole bunch of players their big chance at an LPGA win, should be fun to see who can hold on, or if a Lydia or Danielle can make a crazy run.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, pmcuk said:

Lydia and her driver........ (yet again).....

Is there a cure? Ariya went to a 3 wood but she can hit it. 

Work in progress. Luckily she has the short game to bail her out (most of the time).

• Like 1

One scenario is the final group will all shoot over par; Albane Valenzuela and A Lim Kim become the players to beat at -6.  This scenario will draw in many more players, including Jennifer Kupcho, Danielle Kang, Lydia Ko, Patty Tavatanakit, So Yeon Ryu and Lexi Thompson.

A storybook finish would be Lexi shoots -7 to win and erases (but not completely) her USWO disappointments.

Edited by 18majors