2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2021 LPGA MediHeal Championship (Jun 10 - 13)

14 minutes ago, gsrjc said:

What outfit is DK wearing?  Seems like something she’d wear to the gym to workout and not golf. I wonder if LPGA has a dress code. 

Ya those do look like gym shorts...WTH.

I guess Danielle would never win the weekly Best Dresser award that's handed out if she plays in any KLPGA event.🤣

spacer.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KBong said:

Ya....tighten up her driver swing and maybe 1/2" more choking down on the driver to gain more control of the head....and Lydia's willingness  to give up a few yards.

If I was Foley....I'd have a zoom call with Lydia, her loop and Sura and ask Sura to keep track how many shots Lydia is giving up when she's hitting her drives of the planet...especially parkland style courses.....I suspect it's at least 4-6 shots over 4 days...a huge difference in contending vs. winning.

I believe Sura walks most holes each day...the caddie could do it but I think it takes away from concentrating on the main functions of their role.

I would love to know if Lydia has picked up 1/2 club to a club with her irons.  Or what her driver ss is now (vs. the past).  Her iron swing still looks very controlled vs. the driver you can tell she is swinging it hard.

To me, the 8-9 yards that she's gained isn't that much vs. some of the hype it's gotten.  However, it may also be that the stat is still suffering from when she misses the fairway (on a measured hole).  I.e. if she hits one straight it is down there a lot more (vs. the past).

I will never say she won't win in any particular week because the rest of her game is that good.  But I think she is a lot more dangerous on certain courses than others (ex-ante).

• Like 4

Very impressive indeed. Mistake proof golf on a difficult course. She wasn't perfect with her approaches, but her putter was hot. Congrats to the newest first time winner. 

Glad Min hung in there and kept it interesting. Can't believe she left her eagle putt on 18 short though. With a three shot cushion she should have rammed it into the flagstick. Impressive week. 

Would have been nice to see Lauren get a top 10. Rough day ballstriking. 

Seems each week there have been experienced players within striking distance that just can't seem to get the ball in the hole, while those way back go low. Nice week for So Yeon, Celine and Hannah. 

• Like 4

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

7 hours ago, KBong said:

I don't know why you chose Minjee...she has not demonstrated anything as of late.

I think she's lost a lot of confidence and I think it's affected all parts of her game.

Unfortunately, I'm making an early call and will say I think Minjee as talented as she is...won't win a major...I hope I'm wrong and will EAT A LOT OF CROW. 

I don't know what happened to her.  I always liked that she seemed more focused on golf than others, and was getting a little bit better every year.  2019 she also tried to add distance and the driver accuracy fell off quite a bit.  Driver has stabilized but GIR are down a bit and putting seems to imploded.

Lexi, Ariya, etc have been up and down too so it's hard to say.  And winning one major is as much luck for a week as anything else.  But I wouldn't be surprised either way.  I thought some could have won 3x in early-2019 and only bagged one of them.  As good as she is, I don't think she's got a ton out of the tight/close situations she's been in.  Again, easy to critique from home...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, agolf1 said:

However, it may also be that the stat is still suffering from when she misses the fairway (on a measured hole).  I.e. if she hits one straight it is down there a lot more (vs. the past).

You're precisely right.  For instance, Lydia's driving distance this week was 266.8 yards:

However, her detailed 4-day average was 271.0, 252.0, 273.5 and 270.5 yards.  Clearly, Day 2 was out of norm.

If Lydia's real average driving distance is north of 270.0 yards, then her several years effort is worth it.

27 minutes ago, agolf1 said:

But I think she is a lot more dangerous on certain courses than others (ex-ante).

It's true for every player, not just Lydia.  That's why we've a different winner every week.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, agolf1 said:

I don't know what happened to her.  I always liked that she seemed more focused on golf than others, and was getting a little bit better every year.  2019 she also tried to add distance and the driver accuracy fell off quite a bit.  Driver has stabilized but GIR are down a bit and putting seems to imploded.

Lexi, Ariya, etc have been up and down too so it's hard to say.  And winning one major is as much luck for a week as anything else.  But I wouldn't be surprised either way.  I thought some could have won 3x in early-2019 and only bagged one of them.  As good as she is, I don't think she's got a ton out of the tight/close situations she's been in.  Again, easy to critique from home...

@agolf1Is the "I thought some(?) could have won 3x in early-2019 and only bagged one of them...As good as she is..." , in your statement = referring to Minjee (presumably)? or Ariya /Lexi/someone else ? 

Edited by JungleJimbo

16 minutes ago, agolf1 said:

I don't know what happened to her.  I always liked that she seemed more focused on golf than others,

I first saw Minjee in 2015 and 2016 but never went out to watch her play.

In 2016 at the KPMG....I was chatting with a Korean lady...and when Minjee came out of the clubhouse and onto the practice green, she said she wanted to get Minjee's autograph....I suggested she walk up to the low putting green fence and ask in Korean if Minjee would give her an autograph.

Minjee said she was busy and just wanted to focus on her practice.

I saw Minjee working on her driver at the range....and when I later saw Jeremy Young (her loop)...I asked what she was working on....I can't remember....she was either working on a fade or a draw.

I think Minjee is naturally shy....unlike Min Woo who is quite outgoing, as per Mike Clayton.

3 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

@agolf1Is the "I thought some(?) could have won 3x in early-2019 and only bagged one of them...As good as she is" , in your statement = referring to Minjee (presumably)? or Ariya /Lexi/someone else ? 

Yes, Minjee.  She had a shot a Thailand and SG that year.  Thailand was closer to a jump ball, she had SG won heading to the back 9 on Sunday but didn't play very well.  Subsequently won in LA.

• Like 1

Lake Merced never fails to deliver an exciting finish. No playoff this year, but it still came down to the final holes. The pin position on 17 is tough, and it's no automatic two-putt from the other side of the ridge. The 18th is a good eagle/birdie chance, but there's still plenty of danger with the trees. I hope they don't clear out too many trees.

Still surprised that nobody made a late charge. Matilda opened the door with 8 straight pars on the back nine. With a 64 and 65 already in the clubhouse, the birdies were out there.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

13 hours ago, KBong said:

I think the thing holding Crazy Lucy Li back is she still looks small...therefore lack of distance.

I appreciate Lucy doesn't have a coach and doing a Hogan......finding it out in the dirt.

According to the tour stats, which are of course of questionable usefulness, Lucy Li averages 270 yards on the Symetra, ranking 50th ... five yards longer than Min Lee.  10 yards longer than this week's winner Morgane Metraux.  (If you doubt just how questionably useful that is, Li's distance would be 15th on the LPGA stats).

Just watching on TV the last two weeks, her ball striking was on point.  The only thing holding her back was putting.

I'm sure the TV people would have liked to have had Castren's front nine take place during their coverage, but that happens when the broadcast window is short. 

Castren's swing is a joy to watch, simple, repeatable, almost effortless.  No, I'm not jealous, why do you ask?  Very worthy winner.

Min Lee was just as impressive.  Just didn't get enough putts to drop.

Felt bad for Lauren Kim, just didn't have it on Sunday.  It was kind of grating that they stopped showing her at the end when there were only a couple groups on the course, I'd rather see her putt (to see if she could grind out a top 10) than one of the leaders standing around.

Nice checks for So Yeon and Hannah Green despite never being remotely in contention.  Hopefully that means SYR is peaking in time for the KPMG.

Edited by postfold
typos doh
  • Like 3