2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Golf Channel programming (**MERGED**)

shoot4par

One of the shows I like watching is How It’s Made where the way different things are constructed are explained. I’d watch a show that shows how different golf balls are made; forged and cast irons; modern drivers and classic clubs. How the different launch monitors are constructed and the technology differences as well as equipment like laser rangefinders, GPS and shot tracking would interest me. They could also explain how courses are planned and explain construction techniques. I know some courses use technology to drain water and to control the temperature of greens and it would be interesting to see it being built.

I fully acknowledge I may be the only one who thinks this is a good idea or even remotely interesting.

• Like 3

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

3 hours ago, CCTxGolf said:

Why did they cancel big break and Feherty to begin with? Those were popular show and seem to be a common response In this thread.

They know that.

that’s prob the root of their problem

I think they cancelled the big break because it was getting stale and they were running out of ideas to keep it interesting. The first few seasons were really good with Tony and Gipper. I thought the show was better when it was just ams; guys who were on the cusp but hadn't committed to the grind. Feherty might have taken a dip in ratings and was cut back. It was nominated for an Emmy. I'm not certain. Article on the end of Feherty is posted below, its kind of obscure on citing a reason. 

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/01/15/david-feherty-golf-channel-show-ending/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CCTxGolf said:

Why did they cancel big break and Feherty to begin with? Those were popular show and seem to be a common response In this thread.

They know that.

that’s prob the root of their problem

Big Break was very expensive to produce and they can make more money showing old tournaments during the week. Feherty had a good run but he was running out of interesting guests. 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

18 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Big Break was very expensive to produce and they can make more money showing old tournaments during the week. Feherty had a good run but he was running out of interesting guests. 

They have to have horrible people that negotiate their deals. They need a week at a place and they need to interrupt regular play for probably half a day... From there they need someone to scout talent and a host & cohost plus production. In return they give a top quality place free advertising, etc. 

3 minutes ago, shoot4par said:

They have to have horrible people that negotiate their deals. They need a week at a place and they need to interrupt regular play for probably half a day... From there they need someone to scout talent and a host & cohost plus production. In return they give a top quality place free advertising, etc. 

They had years to do that and it didn't work to the level that they wanted to continue with it. I liked Big Break, but it's not happening. 

Ping Vault Arna

1 minute ago, Holy Moses said:

They had years to do that and it didn't work to the level that they wanted to continue with it. I liked Big Break, but it's not happening. 

I don't disagree with you at all. Just saying, they could've even looked at top quality new builds. Stuff opening yearly. It would generate interest. They could've done big break streamsong or big break cabot. 

8 minutes ago, shoot4par said:

I don't disagree with you at all. Just saying, they could've even looked at top quality new builds. Stuff opening yearly. It would generate interest. They could've done big break streamsong or big break cabot. 

Golf Channel is completely stripped down. They aren't risking anything. It sucks, but Golf Channel is a shell of itself as far as non-PGA Tour programming. 

Ping Vault Arna

There is no group at GC that I am aware of looking at any kind of original production now. It is not funded and is unlikely to happen any time soon. Not just talking about things like Big Break  but also things like the various "Golf Films" they produced, like "86" about the Masters that year, the one about the '77 Open, or the bios of Jack, Arnie, etc. It's all gone.

Geoff Shackelford noted yesterday that they are no longer even using the Golf Channel name on their canned tournament opening. So instead of "Golf Channel and the LPGA Tour present....", it now is "NBC Sports and the LPGA...". That is a bad sign for the future prospects of GC. With NBCSN going away, NBC needs somewhere to put non-golf events they are contractually obligated to air. Look for what is now GC to morph into that, meaning even less golf being aired.

4 hours ago, Greg_B said:

There is no group at GC that I am aware of looking at any kind of original production now. It is not funded and is unlikely to happen any time soon. Not just talking about things like Big Break  but also things like the various "Golf Films" they produced, like "86" about the Masters that year, the one about the '77 Open, or the bios of Jack, Arnie, etc. It's all gone.

Geoff Shackelford noted yesterday that they are no longer even using the Golf Channel name on their canned tournament opening. So instead of "Golf Channel and the LPGA Tour present....", it now is "NBC Sports and the LPGA...". That is a bad sign for the future prospects of GC. With NBCSN going away, NBC needs somewhere to put non-golf events they are contractually obligated to air. Look for what is now GC to morph into that, meaning even less golf being aired.

Earlier this year it was reported the USA network would pick up the higher profile sports shown on NBCSN, with Peacock possibly picking up some of the programming. Golf Channel and the Olympic Channel were expected to remain unchanged.

Do you think those plans may have changed?

8 hours ago, Greg_B said:

but also things like the various "Golf Films" they produced, like "86" about the Masters that year, the one about the '77 Open, or the bios of Jack, Arnie, etc. It's all gone.

As in Gone Gone... or just unavailable to play. The golf films must below to them no? 

18 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

They rarely do that, though.  I loved it last year when they showed old majors from way back when leading up to when the event would have been played.  They did it this year with the PGA championship(I recall seeing 93 at Inverness among others.)  But it seems if it wasn't a tournament Woods won, they think no one will watch.  

In fairness, this past weekend, they had the PGA Tour, ET, LPGA and KFT.  They pulled their weight on that front this week.  Now if they just wouldn't replay the same round coverage 15 times before the next set of events....

On 6/14/2021 at 10:46 AM, JK Ward said:

Earlier this year it was reported the USA network would pick up the higher profile sports shown on NBCSN, with Peacock possibly picking up some of the programming. Golf Channel and the Olympic Channel were expected to remain unchanged.

Do you think those plans may have changed?

If I had to guess, its about getting eyes over to Peacock. NBCUniversal is more concerned about developing content (on the cheap) that will get individuals to subscribe to Peacock. CBS/Viacom is similar with Paramount+. Its just the direction that the media landscape is heading towards.

I would not be surprised if the Golf Channel in name will not exist in 5 years and just be rebranded NBC Golf or Peacock Golf!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Showtime9 said:

If I had to guess, its about getting eyes over to Peacock. NBCUniversal is more concerned about developing content (on the cheap) that will get individuals to subscribe to Peacock. CBS/Viacom is similar with Paramount+. Its just the direction that the media landscape is heading towards.

I would not be surprised if the Golf Channel in name will not exist in 5 years and just be rebranded NBC Golf or Peacock Golf!

I signed up for TennisTV a few years ago.  Every event except the 4 majors.  Now you only had show courts, but you had multiple matches from typically multiple tournaments.  No ads, everything on demand.  Was fantastic.  If someone could put together something like that for golf, it would be great. 

Unlike tennis, though, every golf tour is its own entity, and I would not want the Pga tour to be the guardian of all things golf broadcasting.  So each tour would have to produce their own product.   

5 hours ago, 3whacker said:

Never thought I would miss the ABC days of Roone Arledge produced telecasts and Bob Rosburg saying " ..he's got no shot.." long before ESPN/Disney took over...their US Open and Open telecasts were so much better than what we see now

If you have the USGA app (I have it on my Roku and assume it is available on other platforms) you can watch those telecasts going back to the late 1960s. The early ones were actually not very good by today's standards. The ones in the late '80s and early '90s were better, but they still have a hard time competing visually with what we now get. Where they surpassed today's versions was in the commentary, with McKay, Alliss, Marr, Rosburg, and in the earlier ones, Nelson and Longhurst. Plus they were not overly focused on any one player.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 3whacker said:

Honestly WTH does Paige McKenzie bring to the telecast ?

Something tells me you don't work in advertising. From a insight perspective she doesn't bring much. Better than looking at Damon and Tripp or DD for a few hours. Though, DD is by far my favorite golf channel correspondent. 

Edited by shoot4par
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg_B said:

If you have the USGA app (I have it on my Roku and assume it is available on other platforms) you can watch those telecasts going back to the late 1960s. The early ones were actually not very good by today's standards. The ones in the late '80s and early '90s were better, but they still have a hard time competing visually with what we now get. Where they surpassed today's versions was in the commentary, with McKay, Alliss, Marr, Rosburg, and in the earlier ones, Nelson and Longhurst. Plus they were not overly focused on any one player.

This is very interesting.  I will have to look into this.  Hopefully it's not geo-restricted.  Thanks for posting this.

I wrote a golf novel based on true life characters and events from the 70's and 80's.

A story of true golf hustlers, the hustle, the setup, bookies, the girl, the mob, real big money games, celebrities, etc.

I didn't say it was a good book, but is was good enough that a Hollywood production company sought me out to sign an option for the screenplay for a movie. But it was better suited as a weekly series, kind of like Fantasy Island or The Love Boat meets golf with sports stars past and current, Hollywood celebrities, musicians and actors in the weekly story, while the main characters have continuing stories.

The Golf Channel laughed at it.

They're a-holes who deserve to go bankrupt.

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

4 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

I wrote a golf novel based on true life characters and events from the 70's and 80's.

A story of true golf hustlers, the hustle, the setup, bookies, the girl, the mob, real big money games, celebrities, etc.

I didn't say it was a good book, but is was good enough that a Hollywood production company sought me out to sign an option for the screenplay for a movie. But it was better suited as a weekly series, kind of like Fantasy Island or The Love Boat meets golf with sports stars past and current, Hollywood celebrities, musicians and actors in the weekly story, while the main characters have continuing stories.

The Golf Channel laughed at it.

They're a-holes who deserve to go bankrupt.

God I hope you used Titanic Thompson