Srixon z785 vs Srixon Zx7

AbSWFPGA

Played the 745's, they were stolen.  Ended up in a set of 765's.  Got used to them, tried the 785's and they were more like the 45's and I was already used to the 65's so I didn't switch.  Played i210, Sub 70, put my old set of J40CB's back in the bag, and early early this year I ran the gambit of irons.  I tried everything.

I ended up in the ZX7's 6-PW, may go to a zipcore PW.  The ZX7 remind me so much of the 745's it's not even funny.  Considering Srixon's tour players hated the 65's, were OK with the 85's and many still loved the 45's it makes sense they would go back to a similar shape and then try to adjust the sole so the turf interaction was the same or similar.

I LOVED my 45's.  I just got used to the 65's, never loved them, but they were OK.  Didn't like the look of the 85's that much.  The ZX7's to me are like the 45's had a baby with the Zforged short irons and 85 mid irons.   Now I will say they are lower spin, not low like P790's or other foam filled irons, but lower than other clubs in the same category.  Which for me as a super high spin guy is great.  The turf interaction is better for me than even the 45's were, and I played them in some soggy conditions this year, and some pretty firm conditions.

The ZX7's are firmly in the bag 6,7,8,9 irons.  I liked the launch and spin window of the ZX5 in the 5 and 4 iron better, plus they were a bit more forgiving which I like as well.  The little bit wider soles on those irons do not bother me since those irons I am not as steep with.  I have almost always played a blade non matching iron type of PW, and this is the longest I have lasted with a set PW since the 45's.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Well, I have a set of Zx7 irons being delivered on Monday.  I ordered them from Srixon directly on September 2nd.  My only experience with Srixon irons were the Z765.  They were okay, but my 2013 X-Forged irons were better, so they did not last long.  I am a range rat, and I hit the 765s quite a bit on the range and on the course before I unloaded them.  Currently, I have the 2021 X-Forged CB irons in the bag and I must admit I do like them, but not as much as the 2013 model.  At any rate, I am going to give the 7s a shot.

I will also add that all the switching from the 7s back to the 785s, as many posters had stated, is puzzling.  Golf is such a mental game where confidence plays such a huge role in success.  It does take a while to get the feel of new irons so I will play with these for a while before deciding on the set I will keep or dump.  Supply chain issues now with golf club components have impacted big time on custom builds by virtually all manufactures.  I was fortunate to be getting my irons so quickly.  

I am a high ball hitter.  I think the lofts on these, along with what others have said, suggest the 7s might be between a players distance iron and a players iron.  I think it would be easy to adjust the lofts on the 7s without an issue given the shape of the sole.

58 minutes ago, jimb said:

Well, I have a set of Zx7 irons being delivered on Monday.  I ordered them from Srixon directly on September 2nd.  My only experience with Srixon irons were the Z765.  They were okay, but my 2013 X-Forged irons were better, so they did not last long.  I am a range rat, and I hit the 765s quite a bit on the range and on the course before I unloaded them.  Currently, I have the 2021 X-Forged CB irons in the bag and I must admit I do like them, but not as much as the 2013 model.  At any rate, I am going to give the 7s a shot.

I will also add that all the switching from the 7s back to the 785s, as many posters had stated, is puzzling.  Golf is such a mental game where confidence plays such a huge role in success.  It does take a while to get the feel of new irons so I will play with these for a while before deciding on the set I will keep or dump.  Supply chain issues now with golf club components have impacted big time on custom builds by virtually all manufactures.  I was fortunate to be getting my irons so quickly.  

I am a high ball hitter.  I think the lofts on these, along with what others have said, suggest the 7s might be between a players distance iron and a players iron.  I think it would be easy to adjust the lofts on the 7s without an issue given the shape of the sole.

I have adjusted every single ZX7 and ZX5 in my bag.  Most of them for loft(weird club lengths I play, and I bend almost every set of irons I have ever played) and all for lie.  I have not noticed any detriment to those I bent for loft, not even slightly.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

After using the Z 785’s this season and combo’ing in ZX5’s in the 4-5 irons, I decided to put in an order with Srixon Canada for ZX7 6-PW (all have had Modus3 Tour 120’s).

The 785’s have the best feel and control of any irons I’ve ever played, but the other side of that is that they’re also the most punishing irons I’ve ever played on mishits (including Blades I’ve played).

The feel on center strikes is sublime, and my iron play has never been better, but the stings, vibrations, and loss of distance on mishits are vicious.

From everything I’ve read, the ZX7’s are much more forgiving on mishits, with the feel being just as good. Srixon Canada told me they should ship by tomorrow, so we’ll see!

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Big Bertha 23 (19*) / Cally RCH 65 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland CBX (48*), RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

3 hours ago, driveandputtmachine said:

Played the 745's, they were stolen.  Ended up in a set of 765's.  Got used to them, tried the 785's and they were more like the 45's and I was already used to the 65's so I didn't switch.  Played i210, Sub 70, put my old set of J40CB's back in the bag, and early early this year I ran the gambit of irons.  I tried everything.

I ended up in the ZX7's 6-PW, may go to a zipcore PW.  The ZX7 remind me so much of the 745's it's not even funny.  Considering Srixon's tour players hated the 65's, were OK with the 85's and many still loved the 45's it makes sense they would go back to a similar shape and then try to adjust the sole so the turf interaction was the same or similar.

I LOVED my 45's.  I just got used to the 65's, never loved them, but they were OK.  Didn't like the look of the 85's that much.  The ZX7's to me are like the 45's had a baby with the Zforged short irons and 85 mid irons.   Now I will say they are lower spin, not low like P790's or other foam filled irons, but lower than other clubs in the same category.  Which for me as a super high spin guy is great.  The turf interaction is better for me than even the 45's were, and I played them in some soggy conditions this year, and some pretty firm conditions.

The ZX7's are firmly in the bag 6,7,8,9 irons.  I liked the launch and spin window of the ZX5 in the 5 and 4 iron better, plus they were a bit more forgiving which I like as well.  The little bit wider soles on those irons do not bother me since those irons I am not as steep with.  I have almost always played a blade non matching iron type of PW, and this is the longest I have lasted with a set PW since the 45's.

Do you think the ZX7 are even lower spin than the Z745?  I am on the 745 and need all the spin I can get these days.  

3 hours ago, driveandputtmachine said:

I have adjusted every single ZX7 and ZX5 in my bag.  Most of them for loft(weird club lengths I play, and I bend almost every set of irons I have ever played) and all for lie.  I have not noticed any detriment to those I bent for loft, not even slightly.

I will test them against my X-Forged CB at the range first and then see how they perform on the course.  I am really looking forward to giving them a whirl.

3 hours ago, jt2gt said:

Do you think the ZX7 are even lower spin than the Z745?  I am on the 745 and need all the spin I can get these days.  

I think they are similar.  Unfortunately I moved from a course with bent greens to a course with bermuda since switching, so I do not have a good baseline to determine.   While I have access to Trackman at both courses, their range balls are not the same, and they are range balls.

If I had to make an educated guess I would say the ZX7 spin a tad more than the 745's did, but it is truly speculation.

Had the ZX7’s but agreed they didn’t feel quite as soft as the Z785’s, and the Z785’s are more forgiving IMO. Lastly, the Z785’s have a slightly longer blade length which is more appealing to my eye. 

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
PXG Gen 6 0311P (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 51° - Oban CT 115s+
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 55° - Oban CT 125s+
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 60° - Oban CT 125s+

Toulon Las Vegas DB

After gaming the 785’s all season, I just got my new ZX7’s in yesterday.

Had my first range session with them and absolutely LOVE the ZX7’s!! I found the feel and control just as good as the 785’s, but found them to be waaaay more forgiving and less painful on mishits.

Had one toe miss with the 7-iron that would’ve sputtered and travelled 30yds with the 785’s that only lost 10yds from my regular distance!

I also found that I prefer the ZX7’s to the ZX5’s due to the better feel and control. At the end of the day everyone has their own preference, but for me I’m believing the ZX7 hype right now and am very happy with my purchase!!

• Like 3

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/9/2021 at 7:52 AM, jimb said:

I think it's obvious from the photos prior in the thread, the 785 have the narrowest sole.  I think some switch backs might be because of the sole.  The 745/765 and zx7 are wider, for some it's kinda weird feeling and penalizing on heavy shots.

30 minutes ago, clinkinfo said:

I think it's obvious from the photos prior in the thread, the 785 have the narrowest sole.  I think some switch backs might be because of the sole.  The 745/765 and zx7 are wider, for some it's kinda weird feeling and penalizing on heavy shots.

I have spent a lot of time at range with the Zx7 irons over the past several weeks.  They are the best feeling irons I have owned in years and they are relatively forgiving.  Keepers!

1 hour ago, clinkinfo said:

It's hard to take reviews seriously When you say:

"Had one toe miss with the 7-iron that would’ve sputtered and travelled 30yds with the 785’s that only lost 10yds from my regular distance"

These are all forged heads with minimal cavities.  There's no way one head is going to perform that different than the other.  Glad you like the zx7's, but they aren't going to change a 30 yard toe shot into a full shot, unless your normal 7 iron only goes 40 yards lol

Haha…that’s totally fair.

I’ve had the ZX7’s for about a month now though, and I will say that they are definitely more forgiving than the Z 785’s though, and especially forgiving on toe hits.

I think the biggest difference for me is that they’re not as harsh and painful on mishits as the 785’s. I don’t know why that is, or what Srixon changed, I just know that I don’t have the same amount of pain in my hands and wrists after mishits with the ZX7’s as I used to get with the 785’s.

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

8 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Haha…that’s totally fair.

I’ve had the ZX7’s for about a month now though, and I will say that they are definitely more forgiving than the Z 785’s though, and especially forgiving on toe hits.

I think the biggest difference for me is that they’re not as harsh and painful on mishits as the 785’s. I don’t know why that is, or what Srixon changed, I just know that I don’t have the same amount of pain in my hands and wrists after mishits with the ZX7’s as I used to get with the 785’s.

Do you find the zx7 sole significantly wider again compared to the 785?  The photos seem to make the difference look pretty big and I'm curious cause I'm one of those people who likes the thinner sole, I'm a bit nervous about the zx7 since I did t love the 765 width and it's hard to tell on a testing matt

Oh, and sorry, I just couldn't resist, lol. I know you were just excited 

Edited by clinkinfo
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, clinkinfo said:

Do you find the zx7 sole significantly wider again compared to the 785?  The photos seem to make the difference look pretty big and I'm curious cause I'm one of those people who likes the thinner sole, I'm a bit nervous about the zx7 since I did t love the 765 width and it's hard to tell on a testing matt

Oh, and sorry, I just couldn't resist, lol. I know you were just excited 

Lol…all good, no hard feelings. I was in the honeymoon stages and was super excited for sure! 🤣

I think the pics that @rsh0308 posted on the last page are still be best comparison pics I’ve seen.

I don’t feel like the ZX7’s are noticeably bigger than the 785’s, and when I first got them I spent some time comparing them very closely. I think what I might notice the most is that the blade length is slightly longer, which is probably where the forgiveness on the toe come from (longer sweetspot).

I will say that after gaming the ZX7’s longer now, the feel and accuracy was probably slightly better on the 785’s. The feel on the sweetspot was incredible on the 785’s, and I had those shots on approaches and short Par 3’s on a string. But there is definitely better consistency on mishits with the ZX7’s and they’re less harsh and painful, so those are the 2 biggest factors that I prefer in the ZX7’s.

• Thanks 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I have spent a decent amount of time with each 7 series model srixon released. I always go back to The 745s, always. I have 2 sets each pretty pitted out but nothing comes close to how good these things are. That’s why a lot of srixon staffers still using these. Not as many now that the zx7s are out but still some tour guys using the 45s. With all that being said after some time with the zx7s IMO they are the closest thing to the 45s. Really really good irons. 

4 hours ago, AbSWFPGA said:

I have spent a decent amount of time with each 7 series model srixon released. I always go back to The 745s, always. I have 2 sets each pretty pitted out but nothing comes close to how good these things are. That’s why a lot of srixon staffers still using these. Not as many now that the zx7s are out but still some tour guys using the 45s. With all that being said after some time with the zx7s IMO they are the closest thing to the 45s. Really really good irons. 

What is it specifically about the 745's that you love so much?  I like the 765's I've been fooling around with except for the sole width, I feel like I might experience the same thing the txg guys talked about with some club head speed slowdown when I'm slightly off and catch one a little heavy.  I was thinking of trying the 785, just because they seem to be the narrowest sole

20 hours ago, clinkinfo said:

What is it specifically about the 745's that you love so much?  I like the 765's I've been fooling around with except for the sole width, I feel like I might experience the same thing the txg guys talked about with some club head speed slowdown when I'm slightly off and catch one a little heavy.  I was thinking of trying the 785, just because they seem to be the narrowest sole

To me they feel the best out of any other 7 series model with the zx7 being a close second. Easiest to work both ways and consistent distance. I would catch a few with the other models that would randomly fly way longer than normal. If you have owned a set of the 45s you would understand. I truly believe they are as good as it gets. The 85s IMO have the smallest profile so if that’s what you like then they would fit your eye

• 2 weeks later...

I love my z785's I held out for ever as I want the blades in lefty but I found a screaming deal on the z785 so I pulled the trigger, turf interaction is heavenly!

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

I played the Z785 previously. They were good.

BUT...

ZX7 and Z Forged combo is AMAZING which is my current gamer.

ZX7 is more dense and feels a bit hotter than Z785.

ZX7 over Z785 any day if I had to choose one.

Edited by hypergolf
  • Like 1

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

44 minutes ago, hypergolf said:

I played the Z785 previously. They were good.

BUT...

ZX7 and Z Forged combo is AMAZING which is my current gamer.

ZX7 is more dense and feels a bit hotter than Z785.

ZX7 over Z785 any day if I had to choose one.

Biggest differences between ZX7 and 745

1. In the ZX7 they refined the v sole and while the sole may in fact be wider, it doesn't play that way.

2. They are more forgiving on toe strikes. 

Hard to describe the sole difference, but I know pickers and steep folks who love them.  I have played in the wet Georgia winter with them and the dry Georgia summer, two completely different types of turf interactions and they still performed great.  Other clubs, one time suited them the best for my swing.

I live on the toe side of center and the ZX7's and ZX5's for that matter are extremely friendly out there.

I think the 85's felt the best on center, the 45's and ZX7's are pretty much the same from a feel perspective for me.  The Z forged feel the best.  I have played all four sets of 7 series from Srixon with the same shafts, so it is not a shaft difference that leads me to any of these conclusions either.  From what I can tell the spin seems to be about the same between the Srixon's in the fact that Srixon irons tend to spin about 200-500 less for me depending upon the club compared to other irons.   I played 45's and J40CB's at the same time and that is what my numbers were there, and Trackman said about the same with the ZX7's when I compared them to the T100 and the MiM.  The ZX5's I actually spun the same and in the 4 iron a tad more than a ZX7 in 4 iron.

54 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

Biggest differences between ZX7 and 745

1. In the ZX7 they refined the v sole and while the sole may in fact be wider, it doesn't play that way.

2. They are more forgiving on toe strikes. 

Hard to describe the sole difference, but I know pickers and steep folks who love them.  I have played in the wet Georgia winter with them and the dry Georgia summer, two completely different types of turf interactions and they still performed great.  Other clubs, one time suited them the best for my swing.

I live on the toe side of center and the ZX7's and ZX5's for that matter are extremely friendly out there.

I think the 85's felt the best on center, the 45's and ZX7's are pretty much the same from a feel perspective for me.  The Z forged feel the best.  I have played all four sets of 7 series from Srixon with the same shafts, so it is not a shaft difference that leads me to any of these conclusions either.  From what I can tell the spin seems to be about the same between the Srixon's in the fact that Srixon irons tend to spin about 200-500 less for me depending upon the club compared to other irons.   I played 45's and J40CB's at the same time and that is what my numbers were there, and Trackman said about the same with the ZX7's when I compared them to the T100 and the MiM.  The ZX5's I actually spun the same and in the 4 iron a tad more than a ZX7 in 4 iron.

Good info!  I tend to be on the toe side also, especially late in a round when I get lazy and my OTT move creeps back in.  I've been playing the 785's for 2 seasons now with no real itch to change.  I really like them alot and for me I don't run into the spin issues that others mention.  I spin them plenty and have even back a few up this year (really wet summer and soft greens).  I briefly entertained getting a set of ZX7's for next season but when I went on the Srixon site the shaft options were limited.  I don't mind waiting, our season here is almost over and I won't see a course again until probably April.  

I just love the way the 785's get through the turf, I've had no digging issues at all.  I actually went and bough a couple of cleveland wedges thinking that sole would help my chipping....that was a disaster LOL. 

1 hour ago, Bigjim1022 said:

Good info!  I tend to be on the toe side also, especially late in a round when I get lazy and my OTT move creeps back in.  I've been playing the 785's for 2 seasons now with no real itch to change.  I really like them alot and for me I don't run into the spin issues that others mention.  I spin them plenty and have even back a few up this year (really wet summer and soft greens).  I briefly entertained getting a set of ZX7's for next season but when I went on the Srixon site the shaft options were limited.  I don't mind waiting, our season here is almost over and I won't see a course again until probably April.  

I just love the way the 785's get through the turf, I've had no digging issues at all.  I actually went and bough a couple of cleveland wedges thinking that sole would help my chipping....that was a disaster LOL. 

Which wedges and which grind did you try?   I found that the Mid grind is most like the V sole and it has helped my full swing and chip shots.  Full swing the most.  The low and the full do not even closely resemble the V sole.  I will say in the model before the zipcore the X LOW had a V sole and it was great for around the green but not much for full swings.

If you like the shafts in your 85's, I would order whatever in the ZX7's that you could sell or give to someone or something and then just swap in the shafts from the 85's into the ZX7's.  Or just hold onto the new shafts and put them into the 85's and sell if you decide you want to keep the ZX7's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, driveandputtmachine said:

Which wedges and which grind did you try?   I found that the Mid grind is most like the V sole and it has helped my full swing and chip shots.  Full swing the most.  The low and the full do not even closely resemble the V sole.  I will say in the model before the zipcore the X LOW had a V sole and it was great for around the green but not much for full swings.

If you like the shafts in your 85's, I would order whatever in the ZX7's that you could sell or give to someone or something and then just swap in the shafts from the 85's into the ZX7's.  Or just hold onto the new shafts and put them into the 85's and sell if you decide you want to keep the ZX7's.

I was using the mid bounce in both my sand and lob wedge.  It was decent on full swings but chipping was a disaster.  I chunked everything.  To be fair I've been a Cally wedge player for years so I'm really comfortable with those.  

Thats a good idea about the 7's, I was fit into PX LZ 6.5's and while skeptical at first they have worked out really well! 

• 3 months later...

Anymore thoughts on forgiveness difference between 785 and x7? Currently playing 785s and really like them, but they feel harsh on mishits (specifically in the longer irons). Switching from Modus 120s to 105x and am wondering if it might just be worth getting new clubs and selling the 785s. 

• Like 1