Ventus black to red

cj4501

Any VENTUS  experts in here?   Current gamer is black 7s tipped half inch and was interested in switching to the red.   Was looking into a 6x but was curious how much different that would play.  Ss is 103-108 range with a aggressive and fast transition and sometimes early release. Miss is left but working on that

LTDx 9* AD-VR6x 

Cleveland Launcher Xl Halo 15*

Rad Speed 19* Hybrid

ZX5 MKII 5-AW

CBX 2 54*

TM Big Foot 58*

Odyssey Versa 3 T

Chrome Soft X-LS

Switching from Black to Red is going to offer a little more spin, a little more launch, and a less linear feel. Of course this all depends on tipping. The weight change from 7 to 6 can  also going to make the driver head feel a little heavier and the shaft feel a little softer. This really depends on your sensitivity to such things and the uniqueness of your swing.

FWIW I am also changing from a Black 6X (no tipping) to a Red 6X (tipped .75in.) The Black has served me exceptionally well and the performance is as good as anything I've ever bagged. However, it is a handful and requires max effort on my part. I begin to lose a shot or two towards the end of the round due to wearing down. In testing the Red throughout the past month I am finding like performance (+180 RPM spin and +.6 deg. launch) and it's a little easier to swing.

• Like 4

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

1 hour ago, nitram said:

Switching from Black to Red is going to offer a little more spin, a little more launch, and a less linear feel. Of course this all depends on tipping. The weight change from 7 to 6 can  also going to make the driver head feel a little heavier and the shaft feel a little softer. This really depends on your sensitivity to such things and the uniqueness of your swing.

FWIW I am also changing from a Black 6X (no tipping) to a Red 6X (tipped .75in.) The Black has served me exceptionally well and the performance is as good as anything I've ever bagged. However, it is a handful and requires max effort on my part. I begin to lose a shot or two towards the end of the round due to wearing down. In testing the Red throughout the past month I am finding like performance (+180 RPM spin and +.6 deg. launch) and it's a little easier to swing.

Appreciate the info my man. What's your ss?

LTDx 9* AD-VR6x 

Cleveland Launcher Xl Halo 15*

Rad Speed 19* Hybrid

ZX5 MKII 5-AW

CBX 2 54*

TM Big Foot 58*

Odyssey Versa 3 T

Chrome Soft X-LS

2 hours ago, nitram said:

That's awesome.  Gaming the Ventus Black 7x and I'm getting the itch to try something else.  I've tested the Ventus Red and it's exceptional, but I'm not looking for any more spin or launch.  Might try the AV white proto 2.0.  Do you have experience with it?  I hit 10 balls and didn't get a ton of feedback.  Might have a little less kick than the Ventus Black but that's about it.  Numbers were similar.  I should just keep this and be happy, lol. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I haven't tried the White Proto so can't speak on it. But the Red tipped appropriately works for me just a little better. I live where the wind blows more often than it doesn't. My current setup with the Black is sublime for windy and dry conditions. But when I travel to Houston or different places to play that I need more carry, the Red tipped 3/4 inch is starting to look like it's the ticket.

And yes, you should keep what you have and be happy. But...

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

I have been playing Ventus Red since not long after it was introduced.   On Fuji's site it says Red is "M" spin and "M/H" trajectory with "L" bend, even 6 & 7 have the same spec.  Must be my swing mechanics.  My SS is still up for 6 "S" and 7 "S", (7 series 71g S in my wood).  The Ventus in my driver is 59g "S" and tipped 1/2" at 44.75" playing length. 

With all the jabber about color label shafts and "RED" being higher trajectory, I expected that higher trajectory.  But alas, I got my normal low-mid trajectory.  I really don't need a shaft to help me get the ball up.  A few minor setup adjustments and Wham-o, moon ball.  When I feel pumped and want to bust one out there past my buddies, I max out the tee height, flatten my swing plane, and get a straight higher than a line-drive, oh boy it's long, with Dash or AVX even new ProV.

Fuji says:

TIP: Ultra-stiff profile reduces twisting from transition through impact
MID: Provides a stable, continuous progression from handle to tip
BUTT: Accelerated taper maximizes energy transfer at impact and creates a smoother, enhanced feel

That begs the question, again, are they going to make a 5 series Black? 🙂

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

8 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

I have been playing Ventus Red since not long after it was introduced.   On Fuji's site it says Red is "M" spin and "M/H" trajectory with "L" bend, even 6 & 7 have the same spec.  Must be my swing mechanics.  My SS is still up for 6 "S" and 7 "S", (7 series 71g S in my wood).  The Ventus in my driver is 59g "S" and tipped 1/2" at 44.75" playing length. 

With all the jabber about color label shafts and "RED" being higher trajectory, I expected that higher trajectory.  But alas, I got my normal low-mid trajectory.  I really don't need a shaft to help me get the ball up.  A few minor setup adjustments and Wham-o, moon ball.  When I feel pumped and want to bust one out there past my buddies, I max out the tee height, flatten my swing plane, and get a straight higher than a line-drive, oh boy it's long, with Dash or AVX even new ProV.

Fuji says:

BUTT: Accelerated taper maximizes energy transfer at impact and creates a smoother, enhanced feel

6 series Black is actually pretty light, for something so stable, at 64-65 grams raw length. The 7 series bumps up to 77-78 grams raw. I play both in my driver, 6 at 45.5 and the 7 at 44.5, and there’s a nice difference between the two but feels very similar 

• Like 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

24 minutes ago, MPAndreassi said:

6 series Black is actually pretty light, for something so stable, at 64-65 grams raw length. The 7 series bumps up to 77-78 grams raw. I play both in my driver, 6 at 45.5 and the 7 at 44.5, and there’s a nice difference between the two but feels very similar 

What difference would that be? 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

1 minute ago, phizzy30 said:

What difference would that be? 

The 6 flies higher for me, but still flat. I play them in the same exact head. When I’m swinging well I carry the 6 a bit further. I haven’t noticed much increase in dispersion with the 6. I don’t seek out more distance, but if I can hit one club less in I’ll take it. It’s actually freed up the second club in my bag a bit more also. I went from a 4 wood at 16.5 to a 3 wood at 13.5 to use off the tee. So it has a bit more influence than just some more distance out of the driver. 

• Thanks 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

6 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

Fuji says:

i think they do for the Japanese Market

I am playing what I have heard folks call the Ventus "Purple".   It is a Ventus red with 1.75" of tipping.  I prefer a stiff handle in my driver and for most of the flex to be low mid to low.  It just works with my swing, the old GD Purple Ice was another that way back in the day I had good luck with.

The red tipped 1.75 really has given me lower spin than everything except the black, but the feel and launch are better.  From my testing what I saw was almost a degree better in launch and spin was on average about 200 more than the black.

Now I am not saying that the red launches that much higher for everyone, but how the feel of the shaft and weight affects my delivery this is what I saw.  Plus I am hitting more fairways, the the point where it has to be a horrible swing to get one in a bad place.  A bad swing still is playable, and more often than not pretty long and maybe in the rough, but not the trees.  The really good swings are ridiculously long for me.

According to arccos my Driving strokes gained (when compared to a +1 handicap) on holes where I use my driver has gone from a -1.5 to a -0.1.  So an improvement of 1.4 strokes gained on the longer holes where I hit driver.  I wish I could find a way to see strokes gained with my driver only on Arccos, but it is better than what I had before.

• Like 2
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

9 hours ago, driveandputtmachine said:

I am playing what I have heard folks call the Ventus "Purple".   It is a Ventus red with 1.75" of tipping.  I prefer a stiff handle in my driver and for most of the flex to be low mid to low.  It just works with my swing, the old GD Purple Ice was another that way back in the day I had good luck with.

The red tipped 1.75 really has given me lower spin than everything except the black, but the feel and launch are better.  From my testing what I saw was almost a degree better in launch and spin was on average about 200 more than the black.

Now I am not saying that the red launches that much higher for everyone, but how the feel of the shaft and weight affects my delivery this is what I saw.  Plus I am hitting more fairways, the the point where it has to be a horrible swing to get one in a bad place.  A bad swing still is playable, and more often than not pretty long and maybe in the rough, but not the trees.  The really good swings are ridiculously long for me.

According to arccos my Driving strokes gained (when compared to a +1 handicap) on holes where I use my driver has gone from a -1.5 to a -0.1.  So an improvement of 1.4 strokes gained on the longer holes where I hit driver.  I wish I could find a way to see strokes gained with my driver only on Arccos, but it is better than what I had before.

Is that a Ventus Red stiff or X you are tipping? Just curious, how did you arrive at 1.75 inches? Does it make a big difference? I prefer the feel of the Red but like the flatter flight of the Black, which feels a bit too stiff to me. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Red Ventus X.  Tipped 1.75, plus 1.25 insertion.   It has given me the feel I like with the flatter flight and almost as low spin as the black.

I saw a video or a post or something somewhere about it.  So I tried it and the regular black I had and have loved the results so far.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

13 hours ago, driveandputtmachine said:

Red Ventus X.  Tipped 1.75, plus 1.25 insertion.   It has given me the feel I like with the flatter flight and almost as low spin as the black.

I saw a video or a post or something somewhere about it.  So I tried it and the regular black I had and have loved the results so far.

Thanks. You pretty much made the Red tip play more like the Black. I may grab a Red and try that. Thought it was one of the best-feeling shafts I had ever hit, but it was a 7S in a Mavrik Max 3 wood and it went so high it looked like a 7 wood and it felt too loose at the tip. 

Have not really experimented with tipping and I always assume an X flex is too much for me. Then I picked up a Tour AD VR 6 stiff that the previous owner had tipped 1/2 inch to play between a stiff and X in a driver and it is really a perfect fit. Great feel to that shaft but yet still solid. I’d like to compare a Ventus Red 7 and an AD IZ 7 in fairways and see what I prefer. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

1 minute ago, dmeeksDC said:

Thanks. You pretty much made the Red tip play more like the Black. I may grab a Red and try that. Thought it was one of the best-feeling shafts I had ever hit, but it was a 7S in a Mavrik Max 3 wood and it went so high it looked like a 7 wood and it felt too loose at the tip. 

Have not really experimented with tipping and I always assume an X flex is too much for me. Then I picked up a Tour AD VR 6 stiff that the previous owner had tipped 1/2 inch to play between a stiff and X in a driver and it is really a perfect fit. Great feel to that shaft but yet still solid. I’d like to compare a Ventus Red 7 and an AD IZ 7 in fairways and see what I prefer. 

I have not tipped shafts in general in my life.  Even in my younger days I rarely tipped more than 1/2" in a driver, or three wood, but never in an iron.

I normally play an X in my driver straight in, and have never had an issue.  So I was a bit worried tipping an X flex that much.   In the red I do not feel that it really stiffens the shaft that much, I feel like it affects the deflection and therefore lowers launch and spin, but does not mean you need a faster swing speed to get the most out of it.

Or at least that is how it has worked for me.

On 6/9/2021 at 12:03 PM, phizzy30 said:

That's awesome.  Gaming the Ventus Black 7x and I'm getting the itch to try something else.  I've tested the Ventus Red and it's exceptional, but I'm not looking for any more spin or launch.  Might try the AV white proto 2.0.  Do you have experience with it?  I hit 10 balls and didn't get a ton of feedback.  Might have a little less kick than the Ventus Black but that's about it.  Numbers were similar.  I should just keep this and be happy, lol. 

Yeah don't.  There's a reason why the Ventus Black is everywhere on tour and 0 AV White Proto 2.0's.  Had both, in fact I've had tour av raw white TX and TX 2.0.  Not close to the Ventus Black in terms of performance.  If you have an itch try the Tensei 1k

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

13 minutes ago, J13 said:

Yeah don't.  There's a reason why the Ventus Black is everywhere on tour and 0 AV White Proto 2.0's.  Had both, in fact I've had tour av raw white TX and TX 2.0.  Not close to the Ventus Black in terms of performance.  If you have an itch try the Tensei 1k

100% this ^^^

Ive tried the AV raw TX before and the 1K nothing compares to the ventus black...ended up back in the 5X black for driver and 7X black for fairway wood

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2021 at 9:54 PM, vakaviti said:

100% this ^^^

Ive tried the AV raw TX before and the 1K nothing compares to the ventus black...ended up back in the 5X black for driver and 7X black for fairway wood

Are you able to compare the 5x and 6x in the ventus Black?

Callaway Tour Issue Paradym TD-S 8.5 (7.9) - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 5X

TaylorMade TOUR Stealth 2 15 - Fujikura Ventus Red TR 7X
PXG 0317X Gen 5 19  (Actual 17.5) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 8X
PXG 0311X Gen 5 -  Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X

PXG 0317T - 4 - LAGP L-Series (5) X
Miura KM-700  5-PW - LAGP L-Series (5) X
PXG Milled "Sugar Daddy 2 " 50,54,60 - DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron Holiday LTD (23}/ LAGP 135 (White)

9 hours ago, djhgolf said:

Are you able to compare the 5x and 6x in the ventus Black?

Personally I feel they are both as stable as each other in the tip section however I feel I can move the club alot faster with the 5X. Im doing more testing currently its in a epic max LS tinkering with adding more weight to clubhead to see what results I get.

10 hours ago, vakaviti said:

Personally I feel they are both as stable as each other in the tip section however I feel I can move the club alot faster with the 5X. Im doing more testing currently its in a epic max LS tinkering with adding more weight to clubhead to see what results I get.

Are you saying you have a Ventus Black in 5X? Did not know they made 5’s for the Black. 

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

9 hours ago, Mookieb10 said:

say what?

I got mine off a Fuji dealer in Australia but one of the guys stateside said he got his from the below link. Trying to get out and play twice this week but so far so good with the 5X can see it sticking around for a while.

https://golfshaftsamerica.com/collections/fujikura-driver-shafts/products/fujikura-ventus-black-wood-shafts?variant=39283637190840

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, vakaviti said:

I got mine off a Fuji dealer in Australia but one of the guys stateside said he got his from the below link. Trying to get out and play twice this week but so far so good with the 5X can see it sticking around for a while.

https://golfshaftsamerica.com/collections/fujikura-driver-shafts/products/fujikura-ventus-black-wood-shafts?variant=39283637190840

Interesting. A 5 S would be calling my name.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

So after more testing I've decided to switch to the Red 6X tipped 1.5" and playing OAL 44.75". With the JDM TSi3 head this combo is so consistent and I can hit my little 5-7 yard fade higher than my Black 6X/Bullet combo and still get a ton of roll (fairway conditions permitting). So while I am a quarter inch less tipping that what TXG used in their Purple example, I'll say this tipping the Red really works for those who may struggle handling the Black. The numbers between the two (for me) are basically a wash and the Red, even tipped as much as I have is a little easier to swing than my Black 6X is un-tipped. FWIW my SS in the testing averaged 108 mph/ 161.7 Ball Speed.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nitram said:

So after more testing I've decided to switch to the Red 6X tipped 1.5" and playing OAL 44.75". With the JDM TSi3 head this combo is so consistent and I can hit my little 5-7 yard fade higher than my Black 6X/Bullet combo and still get a ton of roll (fairway conditions permitting). So while I am a quarter inch less tipping that what TXG used in their Purple example, I'll say this tipping the Red really works for those who may struggle handling the Black. The numbers between the two (for me) are basically a wash and the Red, even tipped as much as I have is a little easier to swing than my Black 6X is un-tipped. FWIW my SS in the testing averaged 108 mph/ 161.7 Ball Speed.

Really interested in this..  I have a G410 with a Ventus Blue 6s untipped and i like it.  For some reason I picked up the TSi3 and have struggled to hit it.  At the point of either returning the TSi or trying a Ventus in it.  Was thinking of tipping the Blue, but after reading this I like the idea of a Red tipped 1.5".  My swing speed is around the 107 to 110 range - depending on which LM I'm on.  Never felt like an X flex was for me - I've got a smoother transition to start the downswing.  Any other advice for fitting this into a TSi3 head?  

Thanks,  Rod