Since this topic has run it's course from my original question, let me ask this.  Which is more common, sandbaggers or vanity cappers.  I'd have to guess that there are far more people that take mulligans, give themselves generous putts, etc. than go out with the intention of sandbagging for the purposes of cheating.

My playing partner finally realized, now that we're in a league that uses GHIN handicaps, that his 8 is probably 5 strokes too low and is now paying the price.  Someone mentioned earlier that someone having a great round may hit an extra shot and call it a "practice round".  I'm on the other end, when I blow up the first few holes I'll want to say "well this round is trash, may as well do some practice".

Sto Pro Veritate

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Also, if you’re playing alone, you’re not supposed to post. I wonder how your club deals with that.   I would send your handicap chair excerpts from the handicap manual describing what shoul

That's an odd policy.   Section 2 of the handicap rules very specifically defines what rounds are acceptable for posting.   Strictly speaking a "practice round" is not defined, but

I do believe that the reason that professional tours are not handicapped has nothing to do with issues of fair handicapping.    dave

1 hour ago, Girevik said:

I would say no, unless the bagger had a horrible day, the honest golfer had his best day, or a combination of both.

The way the handicap system is set up, two honest players, regardless of handicap, will be even heads up using handicaps.  If one player is sandbagging, regardless of actual relative handicap, that will give him or her an unfair advantage. 

Just to clarify…..They can have an even match, not necessarily  “will” playing one match.  And should come out about even playing a series of matches.  The problem comes when players identify a sandbagger or vanity cap after seeing one round….or even, as has been posted on wrx,  from seeing just one swing.

WITB
Titleist TSi3 9* PX Riptide CB 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* 54* 58* DG S300

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

1 hour ago, Girevik said:

I would say no, unless the bagger had a horrible day, the honest golfer had his best day, or a combination of both.

The way the handicap system is set up, two honest players, regardless of handicap, will be even heads up using handicaps.  If one player is sandbagging, regardless of actual relative handicap, that will give him or her an unfair advantage. 

Just to clarify…..They can have an even match, not necessarily  “will” playing one match.  And should come out about even playing a series of matches.  The problem comes when players identify a sandbagger or vanity cap after seeing one round….or even, as has been posted on wrx,  from seeing just one swing.

And even for one round match play is a different animal.  Two 10’s could play a match and have both play to their handicap and have one get dusted 5&4 or worse.  

WITB

3 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Could you clarify further? My expectation is that it will not come out even over a series of matches. Rather, given that lower caps have lower score variability, if both players are representing accurate caps, the lower cap will generally win a series by a small margin.

In other words, as handicap represents a player's potential, over the course of time, a lower cap will reach their potential more often than a higher cap.

Edited by JeffreySpicoli
1 minute ago, JeffreySpicoli said:

Rather, given that lower caps have lower score variability, if both players are representing accurate caps, the lower cap will generally win a series by a small margin.

Man, do I wish that were true. My scoring record is all over the place right now.

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Ventus Blue HB 8-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54: Nippon 115-S Wedge

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

4 minutes ago, JeffreySpicoli said:

Could you clarify further? My expectation is that it will not come out even over a series of matches. Rather, given that lower caps have lower score variability, if both players are representing accurate caps, the lower cap will generally win a series by a small margin.

In other words, as handicap represents a player's potential, over the course of time, a lower cap will reach their potential more often than a higher cap.

About is a big word in that sentence. The old handicap system used a 96% multiplier that favored the lower handicap players. The 8 of 20 replacing the 10 of 20 accomplishes nearly the same result.  
I recall reading that in 100 matches a 10 playing a scratch it would be approximately 55/45 scratch to 10 wins but don’t quote me on that as I do not recall the source. I would call the 55/45 “about” even.

The USGA does want lower handicap players rewarded-slightly.  There absolutely should be a benefit to working at your game and improving.

• Like 2

WITB

4 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

About is a big word in that sentence. The old handicap system used a 96% multiplier that favored the lower handicap players. The 8 of 20 replacing the 10 of 20 accomplishes nearly the same result.  
I recall reading that in 100 matches a 10 playing a scratch it would be approximately 55/45 scratch to 10 wins but don’t quote me on that as I do not recall the source. I would call the 55/45 “about” even.

The USGA does want lower handicap players rewarded-slightly.  There absolutely should be a benefit to working at your game and improving.

That's what I remember being kicked around.  Stroke play is not so favorable and for Stableford the high caps rule.

13 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

That's what I remember being kicked around.  Stroke play is not so favorable and for Stableford the high caps rule.

Argh! Had a reply about done and hit the wrong dang button and lost it.

To clarify your comment further ……in a field of 50 bogey golfers(~18 handicap) and 50 scratch players the winners would be dominated by the higher caps due to their relative score volatility.  That is why the USGA suggests various percentages of handicaps be used depending on the format.  It is an attempt to even out where the winners will come from.

• Like 1

WITB

Random thoughts:

• As mentioned the "bonus for excellence" multiplier of .96 is history. That provided a real advantage for a lower handicap player in a series of comps. (Anything can happen in a one-off comp. And typically in a large field tournament, one or more of the mid to higher handicap players will have a good day making it difficult for a low/scratch handicapper to win.) In general, but not always, lower guys tend to be less erratic and have fewer adjustments to their hole scores. 
  • The USGA used to say vanity caps were much more prevalent - 2 to 3 times the number of sandbaggers. But some of this depends on the culture of the golf club. 
  • The USGA has a ton of stats in the handicap system but they don't like to produce any analysis. Very strange. Especially now as more clubs and associations are using golf genius software. I would like to see numbers for players who play a lot and post at least 15-20 rounds per season. 
  • Consider those who post 5 or fewer rounds in a season. First, is the scoring record accurate? Or have they played more and not posted? If they have played only a few times, is the handicap accurate? Can it be? The entire thing is a mixed bag.
  • The bottom line is US handicaps work best in smaller groups where players know each other and play together often. It will stay that way until it changes to attested competition rounds. (Which is highly unlikely.)
  • Like 3

Fit at Totally Driven:
Titleist TS3 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5