Value at Pinehurst need a couple choices

keithbarker

We have a group coming to pinehurst in august and have Mid Pines, Legacy, Talamore on the list.  It's not a bucket list trip, so were looking for the best value for one more course.   under $100, looking for good conditions especially greens.   I've considered Hyland GC, and wonder how it compares to whispering pines, and the courses in that tier....etc.

thanks

Keith

14 hours ago, keithbarker said:

We have a group coming to pinehurst in august and have Mid Pines, Legacy, Talamore on the list.  It's not a bucket list trip, so were looking for the best value for one more course.   under $100, looking for good conditions especially greens.   I've considered Hyland GC, and wonder how it compares to whispering pines, and the courses in that tier....etc.

thanks

Keith

One that I played for the first time that surprised me (pleasantly) was 7 Lakes.  Decent layout, good greens (November last year), and pleasant staff.  I know Hyland put in new greens a couple years back, and the layout is decent (its been decades since I played there).   For layout alone, I think I'd play Hyland before Whispering Pines.  I don't think Southern Pines will be open yet, or maybe just recovering from renovations.

18 hours ago, keithbarker said:

thanks

Keith

We only go in April so I have no idea how things will look in August, but Hyland is one of my favorite lower/mid tier courses in the area.  It's a solid design with good elevation change.  It's changed hands a couple times over the years, when we last visited pre-pandemic the current owners were taking good care of the place.  Hopefully you can get a more recent report, I'll be curious to see how everything is before April '22.

Was not a fan of Whispering Pines, wasn't memorable other than for the less than friendly membership.

Trying to think what other courses are in that tier.  I've always enjoyed Foxfire, the designs aren't special but the courses are plenty Pinehursty and in good shape for a reasonable price.  Only played 7 Lakes once, don't remember much about it.  Beacon Ridge was also out that way and fine.  Longleaf is OK though I'm not a big fan of the front nine.

If Southern Pines is open (I don't think so, thought I heard October) and at all reasonable that'd be an easy first choice.  Love that course.  Pricing might be a bit more ambitious now that it's owned by Pine Needles/Mid Pines, no more cheap afternoon rates I'm afraid.

On 6/9/2021 at 5:33 PM, keithbarker said:

thanks

Keith

How about a round on The Cradle at Pinehurst, followed by a twilight on Pinehurst Number 3. Twilight rate is around 100, i believe. 

WITB 2021
Titleist TSI3 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6x
Titleist TS2 15* Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x
Sim Hybrid 19* Project X Hzrdus Smoke 6.0
TaylorMade P770 2017 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 120x
TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 Black, 50*,54*,58* - Modus 120x
Scotty Cameron Newport M2 Putter
Titleist Pro V 1

• 4 weeks later...

Will do, 3rd week of august.  Thank you for all the feedback!!   Seems the aerating is falling in line for us!  (most done in early july).  We booked Talamore, MidSouth, Hyland Hills, Legacy, and finish back at Talamore!   108 holes in 4 days....we'll have some sore backs!!   Excited for sure!!  

KB

Edited by keithbarker
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, keithbarker said:

Will do, 3rd week of august.  Thank you for all the feedback!!   Seems the aerating is falling in line for us!  (most done in early july).  We booked Talamore, MidSouth, Hyland Hills, Legacy, and finish back at Talamore!   108 holes in 4 days....we'll have some sore backs!!   Excited for sure!!  

KB

That looks like a solid line up, some relatively inexpensive choices along with a couple of mid-price (but very good) courses.  Where are you staying?  Do you need restaurant recommendations?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dave, sorry for the gap in replying....this doesnt seem to notify me when someone replies!

Yes, were always up for a good place to eat/ always like the sports bar set up something that 12 of us could get into without a wait!!!     Oh, we rented VRBO, in pinehurst.

thanks!!

On 7/25/2021 at 9:16 PM, keithbarker said:

Hey Dave, sorry for the gap in replying....this doesnt seem to notify me when someone replies!

Yes, were always up for a good place to eat/ always like the sports bar set up something that 12 of us could get into without a wait!!!     Oh, we rented VRBO, in pinehurst.

thanks!!

In Pinehurst Village, most of the places outside of the resort aren't really big, so getting 12 seated might be tough at times.   The best "sports-bar" place is Maxie's, and its a reasonably large room, a good number of TVs, and a wide menu.  Only a short drive are Hickory Tavern and Char Bar No. 7.  They're both chains, lots of TVs, but more big rooms with easy room for 12.  Of course, with that many its never a bad idea to call for reservations.  

• 4 weeks later...

Just returned from Pinehurst, it was a great trip.  Were have 12 guys of different backgrounds so it's not a bucket list trip but we try to blend some better and good values!  We played Talamore, Mid South, Hyland GC and Legacy!  

Hyland was rough but the greens were decent!  We knew it wouldnt be amazing but $50, Legacy was in good shape!  Talamore and Mid South were superb!  greens about a 12 they said and beautiful!!  thanks for the help in planning and hope this is useful for anyone else!   We didn't drive over 15 min. to anything and that is a real benefit!!

KB

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PHochstetler said:

Keith, If you had to pick between Mid South and Talamore which would you choose?  Doing a trip to Pinehurst in a couple weeks and I still need to book the afternoon round for our day of arrival and I think I've narrowed it down to those two.  Thanks!

I have a condo at Talamore, so I am a member at Talamore and MidSouth, have played both a bunch of times.  Both are generally in good shape, both are good courses, I prefer Mid South.  

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 4:56 PM, PHochstetler said:

Keith, If you had to pick between Mid South and Talamore which would you choose?  Doing a trip to Pinehurst in a couple weeks and I still need to book the afternoon round for our day of arrival and I think I've narrowed it down to those two.  Thanks!

Mid South would be my vote.

• Like 1