Best ball for green side spin?

I tried the Tour B XS and they definitely spins nicely around the greens but still prefer Pro V1x because they seem to go a bit further off the tee but still retaining similar spin around greens and approach. 

Tried the Pro V left dash and that was a disaster for me. Instantly gained strokes because the ball just wouldn’t check like how I’m used to.

1 hour ago, llaw999 said:

I tried the Tour B XS and they definitely spins nicely around the greens but still prefer Pro V1x because they seem to go a bit further off the tee but still retaining similar spin around greens and approach. 

Tried the Pro V left dash and that was a disaster for me. Instantly gained strokes because the ball just wouldn’t check like how I’m used to.

In my experience (as a low-spin, short-hitting, double-digit handicapper) nothing currently on the market spins as much in short game and on iron shots and Tour B XS. It is a very, very high spin ball across the board. 

The next notch down in spin is a whole bunch of balls that are pretty similar. Pro V1, Pro V1x, TP5, TP5x, etc. Take your pick among them to find one that you like overall.

The other higher than normal spin ball, played by a lot of guys I know, is the KIRKLAND 3pc ball. I don't know that you'll find the distance to match the Pro V1x but it ought to be close if you're not a high clubhead speed player. And it really is nice for spin around the green. 

• Like 3

From August 18, 2021 I will be away from GolfWRX for a while.

15 minutes ago, TallGuy90 said:

@North Butte ksigs are good but the driver spin even on the V2.0 is insane.  I switched to Titleist Tru Feels to lower my driver spin

The same is true to a lesser extent with the Tour B XS. It just spins more than most balls, period.

I don't think anything like the Tru Feel is going to give the OP more greenside spin than Pro V1x, though! That's already a pretty spinny ball for the short game, not many options for getting more.

16 minutes ago, North Butte said:

The same is true to a lesser extent with the Tour B XS. It just spins more than most balls, period.

I don't think anything like the Tru Feel is going to give the OP more greenside spin than Pro V1x, though! That's already a pretty spinny ball for the short game, not many options for getting more.

Yea I wasn’t suggesting the Tru Feel for green side . Just more of a warning on the Ksig your going to loose 5-15 yards on the driver and be much more prone to a left or right miss

Edited by TallGuy90

I found a Tour B XS sitting right next to the cart path while I was waiting to tee off on a short Par 3. It had been a year or so since I'd last hit one so I decided to tee it up. 

I played a little ball back in stance 80% PW shot from 100 yards. The ball landed pin high and zipped sideways at least 25 feet. Can't remember the last times I've put that much side-spin "juice" on a shot. It darned near spun off the green and into the pond that runs along the side of the hole. It was crazy!

I think the Mizuno balls are said to spin even more....

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 70 S, 44-3/8"

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

9 hours ago, Mp14forlife said:

Curious which ball has high green side spin? I've bought some Bridgestone tour bx s to try. Wondering how those stack up against Tm tour response? Or others? Thanks for any info. 

That ball was designed for Tiger woods....nobody else.....not sure it will work for you unless you have a short game like tiger.....many people play this ball because he does and it ends up being the wrong ball.....so many other balls in that line work well if you like bridgestone....

2021 prov1 works great around the greens

• Confused 5

1 minute ago, animalgolfs said:

Tour B RXS for me. I hit like 5 GIR average......up & down is my game

It's a greenside saver

Several years ago, I found some fairly new (not just new old stock) wound balls, apparently manufactured in Asia.  They were Maxfli HT, and were actual balata covers (likely synthetic balata, fodder for a different thread).  I was playing 55/60 wedges at the time, these things spun so well around the greens, I actually quit carrying my 60 while I used them.  It was completely unnecessary.

The best part, they didn't overspin on the longer shots.  It was glorious.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 70 S, 44-3/8"

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

2 hours ago, North Butte said:

In my experience (as a low-spin, short-hitting, double-digit handicapper) nothing currently on the market spins as much in short game and on iron shots and Tour B XS. It is a very, very high spin ball across the board. 

The next notch down in spin is a whole bunch of balls that are pretty similar. Pro V1, Pro V1x, TP5, TP5x, etc. Take your pick among them to find one that you like overall.

The other higher than normal spin ball, played by a lot of guys I know, is the KIRKLAND 3pc ball. I don't know that you'll find the distance to match the Pro V1x but it ought to be close if you're not a high clubhead speed player. And it really is nice for spin around the green. 

My cousin plays the BX S  it spins like crazy for him.   It seems like with the Kirkland balls, they just don't go anywhere and I'm talking both gen 1 and 2.   Always 15 to 20 yards short for me.  Disappointing to say the very least. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Diamana PD 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

7 minutes ago, tsecor said:

That ball was designed for Tiger woods....nobody else.....not sure it will work for you unless you have a short game like tiger.....many people play this ball because he does and it ends up being the wrong ball.....so many other balls in that line work well if you like bridgestone....

2021 prov1 works great around the greens

LOl, Prov 1 and XB S are near the same. Bridgestone S is rated for 105 mph driver swing, So not a distance ball & not only for Tiger.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nard_S said:

LOl, Prov 1 and XB S are near the same. Bridgestone S is rated for 105 mph driver swing, So not a distance ball & not only for Tiger.

whats an XbS? is that a new ball from Bridgestone? what does "near the same" mean? 

TOUR B XS

Tour Performance specifically designed for swing speeds above 105 mph seeking maximum TOUR SPIN.

13 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

My cousin plays the BX S  it spins like crazy for him.   It seems like with the Kirkland balls, they just don't go anywhere and I'm talking both gen 1 and 2.   Always 15 to 20 yards short for me.  Disappointing to say the very least. 

I have only ever actually played the original 3pc and I was also disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine ball and for the price I could play it if I were someone who routinely lost several balls per round. But I'd have to resign myself to slightly disappointing long-game performance. 

The same would be true FWIW about the B XS. I actually bought a dozen of them and after 4-5 rounds gave the last two sleeves away. Actually too much spin (wouldn't have thought that was possible) and not quite the distances I was used to on driver and iron shots. I'd love it if I were playing a Par 3 course with no holes longer than 150-160 yards though!

4 minutes ago, North Butte said:

I have only ever actually played the original 3pc and I was also disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine ball and for the price I could play it if I were someone who routinely lost several balls per round. But I'd have to resign myself to slightly disappointing long-game performance. 

The same would be true FWIW about the B XS. I actually bought a dozen of them and after 4-5 rounds gave the last two sleeves away. Actually too much spin (wouldn't have thought that was possible) and not quite the distances I was used to on driver and iron shots. I'd love it if I were playing a Par 3 course with no holes longer than 150-160 yards though!

My cousin's swing produces low launch and spin so the BX S is a really good ball for him.  SS measured at 102.  He likes to hit a lot of balls around the green that skip twice and stop.  My brother and he are artists around the green.  I wish I were half as good as they are off the green.   

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Diamana PD 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

4 minutes ago, tsecor said:

whats an XbS? is that a new ball from Bridgestone? what does "near the same" mean? 

TOUR B XS

Tour Performance specifically designed for swing speeds above 105 mph seeking maximum TOUR SPIN.

XB S is the Tiger ball, they sold balls with "TIGER" stamped on it but it's an XB S. I choose a ball for wedge & putter. Pro V, Pro Vx1 are near the same off tee as XB S.Used Titleists for last 4 years before switching back to new gen B stones. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

XB S is the Tiger ball, they sold balls with "TIGER" stamped on it but it's an XB S. I choose a ball for wedge & putter. Pro V, Pro Vx1 are near the same off tee as XB S.Used Titleists for last 4 years before switching back to new gen B stones. 

The TW ball is still a BXS but it just says "Tiger" on the side. There is no such ball as a XBS

Bridgestone Ball Lineup

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I switched to the tour b xs for this reason alone.  Low one hop and check shots are awesome with these and they feel amazing off the putter. 

Taylormade M3 9*  KBS TD Cat4

Taylormade M3 4HL Hzrdus Yellow 63g

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Project X 6.0's

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50/54/58 Project X 7.0's

Byron Morgan Stainless DH89 w/ Stability Tour / / Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2 

Bridgestone Tour B XS 

I’ve played the bxs since it was the 330s and it hasn’t changed much since at least 2012.  The whole designed for Tiger thing is definitely blown out of proportion.

• Haha 1

TM M6 9 GD Tour AD HD 6x
TM M6 15 GD Tour AD TP 7x
TM M6 18 GD Tour AD VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 sel 4-Gw Nippon SPO
Ping Glide 2.0 - 55ws heel grind, 60ss wrx grind Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT TOUR BLACK
Best Grips leather grips
Snell MTB-X yellow

On 6/10/2021 at 9:55 PM, North Butte said:

in normal play ie no one ball rule  you could do that?

play the  B XS  par 3s  under 160 ish

3 hours ago, Thayneil said:

in normal play ie no one ball rule  you could do that?

play the  B XS  par 3s  under 160 ish

The so-called One Ball Rule is a PGA Tour thing, not in the Rules of Golf. The Rules of Golf simply say you must complete each hole with the same ball you teed off with (unless you have to take it out of play due to damage or lose it and take a penalty, etc.). 

Unless you're playing in some high-level event that has a One Ball Rule as a Condition of Competition, you can choose a different ball for each hole if you wish.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, North Butte said:

The so-called One Ball Rule is a PGA Tour thing, not in the Rules of Golf. The Rules of Golf simply say you must complete each hole with the same ball you teed off with (unless you have to take it out of play due to damage or lose it and take a penalty, etc.). 

Unless you're playing in some high-level event that has a One Ball Rule as a Condition of Competition, you can choose a different ball for each hole if you wish.

I know all.that.

Just a polite response from me a suggestion rather than an instruction