Removing a Grip Master putter grip

A few months ago I bought from GolfWorks a Grip Master Tour Classic Wrap putter grip to install on my Otey Crisman putter with a hickory shaft. It wasn't much longer afterwards that I realized I made a mistake. The grip was way too tacky for my liking. I tried all kinds of things to make the grip less tacky, but to no avail. Now I'm thinking of removing the grip, but I can't get it off. I tried using a long flat metal grip remover and mineral spirits, but it just won't come off. How can I remove this grip? A Dremel? Tin snips? Anyone have any ideas?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you aren’t worried about maintaining the grip for future use a hook blade will get it off.   This is the reason why they should be installed with rubber cement (contact adhesive) as using

I've been using contact cement, which is not quite the same, but otherwise the same concept.   I've even started using it with rubber grips I've installed (for clarity's sake, I'm also us

Hook blade right down the seam.  I have removed a couple, just put it in a vice and rip that hook blade down the seam..  This is why I blow ALL my grips on with painters tape...  It's nice to be able

1 hour ago, HISPL said:

If you aren’t worried about maintaining the grip for future use a hook blade will get it off.

This is the reason why they should be installed with rubber cement (contact adhesive) as using this method makes them simple to remove and reuse

I've been using contact cement, which is not quite the same, but otherwise the same concept.

I've even started using it with rubber grips I've installed

(for clarity's sake, I'm also using an air compressor)

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5*, one click lower loft, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X -or- Aldila NV105 X

3w: Cobra King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h, NV105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58*
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Rife Bimini, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

This grip installs just like a regular grip, with two-sided tape and mineral spirits. However it is so inflexible that I was only able to get the grip removal tools about halfway down before it jammed up and wouldn't go any further. I'm actually thinking of going to Harbor Tools and picking up some tin snips and seeing if that will work, just cut it all off.

Unwrap the leather wrap portion.  It is held in place by the grip cap, which simply unfolds out of the way.  With the leather wrap removed you can try again to get some solvent between the underlisting and the shaft.  If that doesn't work then cut off the underlisting with a utility knife, taking care not to damage the shaft (or your other hand !!).

You can buy another underlisting at Gripmaster or Golfworks, install with double-stick tape, and re-wrap the leather strap.

1 hour ago, Robert L. said:

This grip installs just like a regular grip, with two-sided tape and mineral spirits. However it is so inflexible that I was only able to get the grip removal tools about halfway down before it jammed up and wouldn't go any further. I'm actually thinking of going to Harbor Tools and picking up some tin snips and seeing if that will work, just cut it all off.

Snips?
Using any grip removal tools and such or compressed air is because one plans on reusing the grip.
If you just want to get it off use a hook knife (blade) as are sold in literally any hardware store.

Hook blade right down the seam.  I have removed a couple, just put it in a vice and rip that hook blade down the seam..  This is why I blow ALL my grips on with painters tape...  It's nice to be able to save them easily.

• Thanks 1

Callaway Mavrik 9.5 Aldila Rogue white 60x

Ping G425 Max 14.5*  Alta CB 65x

Ping G25 20*  TFC189s

Srixon Z785 4-P Modus 120s

Ping Glide 2.0 stealth 52/12

Titleist Vokey SM6 , 58/12

Taylormade Spider X navy  35"

4 hours ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

A hook blade utility knife will cut it off easily. Especially if it's a new blade. I've done it multiple times with a leather wrapped Gripmaster.

Well whaddya know! I tried it, and it was a lot easier than I expected. That hook blade cut through it like butter! Now it's time to install a new grip. It's going to be a Winn midsize grip. It feels tacky right out of the package, but not as tacky as the Grip Master grip.

If recycling the grip is the goal it probably will not happen with double sided grip tape.  That is how I had installed my GripmasterUSA/BestGrips leather slip on grips from 2006 through late last fall.  I have never been able to remove one of these grips either with solvent under the underlisting (using solvent and grip removal blade) or with compressed air (up to 100 psi).  I now use painters tape to build up what I want and grip solvent.  I had used rubber cement along with it but now don't.  Then I use compressed air (~50-60 psi) to blow them on.  The solvent allows for positioning the seam as I want it.  Grips installed in this manner also are able to be removed with little effort by the air compressor.  

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade M3 440cc 9.5° (tour issue 9.9°), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S   ||  3W:  TaylorMade M4 15° (tour issue small head, 15.1°), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

5W:  TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 18° (tour issue 19.1°), Diamana D+ 80g stiff  ||  Irons:  Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Wedges:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged: 52°, 58°, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff ||  Putter: Byron Morgan custom Epic Day

Ball: Taylormade Tour Preferred (2016 ball)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain 2.5 stand bag