Have you ever seen a ridiculously good first-time golfer?

My wife and I have some close friends who recently moved into a neighborhood that has a private 3-hole golf course for all the community members. Each hole has different tee boxes, but the first hole is 200 from the tips, the second hole is about 160, and the third is about 140. 

I know for a fact that my buddy has never played a round of golf in his life, and he swears he had never even done anything other than putt-putt. He's in investment banking, and got a set of clubs through his work but has never touched them. While he's asked me to take him out a few times, I admittedly avoided it because "who wants to play with a guy who will shoot 150". Another adder to the story: the guy isn't exactly an athlete. Never really played sports or anything. 

So we start out on the first hole (200 yards) and I hand him a 4i because there's no chance I'm letting him put sky marks on my woods. The dude absolutely PURES it. Can't say the swing was textbook, but it came off like a rocket. It did end up about 15 yards short of the green, but still. He hit about 5 more balls from that tee, and did the same thing 3 other times. It was also a BEAUTIFUL baby draw when he connected. 

On the hole that measured 140, this guy was just throwing 8-irons all over the green, with the closest one being about 2 feet away. He did hit the occasional chunk, but I would say about 40-50% of his shots found the surface or the fringe. 

I will say that I have no idea how he hits a driver or putts, which tends to be the kryptonite for new players, but he was pretty good at chipping, too. 

Just curious if you guys ever came across a really good first-time player? I have no doubt that if I took him to a muni course, he could break 100 his first time out. 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"because there's no chance I'm letting him put sky marks on my woods"  F**KING LOL

I'll brag... I played my first round of golf at age 54. With a box set of Slazenger woods, irons and putter from Dick's.  Don't remember what I shot that day, but 18 months later I was a 2 handic

My brother in law is very good for how little experience he has.  The first time I'd played with him, I think he'd played a few times before.  Like 3 or 4.  He shot about a 106.  He kind of dips down

My brother in law is very good for how little experience he has.  The first time I'd played with him, I think he'd played a few times before.  Like 3 or 4.  He shot about a 106.  He kind of dips down in the backswing and leaves the face open some, but he his a pretty playable slice right now.  We really only play together on vacation, but we just got back from the beach.  We played a par 3 course and I think he topped the ball about twice all round.  Every other shot was decent.  Granted, he's hitting a 3 hybrid about 160 and that's his longest club, but he really is a natural.  His chipping is just crazy.  I've never seen a beginner make consistent contact chipping.

• Like 1

I have a 6' 4" buddy that was a great swimmer, fast 200 fly times, water polo coach etc.  We went to a lit very short 9 hole par 3 course ,mats only, with our wives one night  for giggles.  He had never held a club.  I don't think he hit a single really bad shot and was GIR on 5 out of 9.  He liked hitting off the mat, not the little rubber tee.  All I did was tell him what club to hit.  It was crazy.

Next time out we went to a driving range and he couldn't even find the ball let alone strike it well.  That was the end of his interest in golf.

• Haha 1

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

13 minutes ago, sprcoop said:

I have a 6' 4" buddy that was a great swimmer, fast 200 fly times, water polo coach etc.  We went to a lit very short 9 hole par 3 course ,mats only, with our wives one night  for giggles.  He had never held a club.  I don't think he hit a single really bad shot and was GIR on 5 out of 9.  He liked hitting off the mat, not the little rubber tee.  All I did was tell him what club to hit.  It was crazy.

Next time out we went to a driving range and he couldn't even find the ball let alone strike it well.  That was the end of his interest in golf.

Golfers are masochists in a certain sense, not surprised 😂

2 hours ago, caeye0710 said:

My wife and I have some close friends who recently moved into a neighborhood that has a private 3-hole golf course for all the community members. Each hole has different tee boxes, but the first hole is 200 from the tips, the second hole is about 160, and the third is about 140. 

I know for a fact that my buddy has never played a round of golf in his life, and he swears he had never even done anything other than putt-putt. He's in investment banking, and got a set of clubs through his work but has never touched them. While he's asked me to take him out a few times, I admittedly avoided it because "who wants to play with a guy who will shoot 150". Another adder to the story: the guy isn't exactly an athlete. Never really played sports or anything. 

So we start out on the first hole (200 yards) and I hand him a 4i because there's no chance I'm letting him put sky marks on my woods. The dude absolutely PURES it. Can't say the swing was textbook, but it came off like a rocket. It did end up about 15 yards short of the green, but still. He hit about 5 more balls from that tee, and did the same thing 3 other times. It was also a BEAUTIFUL baby draw when he connected. 

On the hole that measured 140, this guy was just throwing 8-irons all over the green, with the closest one being about 2 feet away. He did hit the occasional chunk, but I would say about 40-50% of his shots found the surface or the fringe. 

I will say that I have no idea how he hits a driver or putts, which tends to be the kryptonite for new players, but he was pretty good at chipping, too. 

Just curious if you guys ever came across a really good first-time player? I have no doubt that if I took him to a muni course, he could break 100 his first time out. 

"because there's no chance I'm letting him put sky marks on my woods"  F**KING LOL

• Haha 3

Driver: Ping G425 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 Max (14.5 Degree) - Hzrdus Black 5.5*
5 Wood: Ping G425 Max (17.5 Degree) - CB Alta 65S
4 Hybrid: Ping G425 (22 Degree) - CB Alta 70S
Irons: Mizuno MP -20 (MMC) 6-PW - KBS $ Taper (120)
Vokey (50 Degree) SM7 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (54 Degree) SM7 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

Twice.

My friend Pete was ridiculously good when he first started.  He was a decent, but not great athlete.  And when he took up golf he took to it right away.  Shot 44 for 9 holes on a moderately difficult course the 2nd time he ever played.  Got everything airborne no problem and only made a triple bogey on a par-3 when he had to hit pitch over a bunker and didn't know how.

He ended up playing on the golf team the next season and actually started.  But he was a marginal player and lost interest.  

My cousin was the other one.  She was actually a very good athlete, but ended up never playing high school sports due to lack of interest.  But playing little league and 'grasshopper league' baseball she was one of the best hitters in the league.  She was also excellent at lacrosse.  

Anyway, she spent the weekend at our home one time and she wanted to go golfing with my dad and I.  We didn't want to hold up people on the course, so we would allow her to hit a shot a shot per hole.  I remember the first time I gave her my 6-iron and she hits it 150 yards right at the flag, straight as an arrow.  And this was probably around 1989 or so when the ball didn't travel nearly as far.  She did this throughout the round.  She never touched a club, again.

RH

• Like 1

I'll brag...

I played my first round of golf at age 54. With a box set of Slazenger woods, irons and putter from Dick's.  Don't remember what I shot that day, but 18 months later I was a 2 handicap. 

I played sports right through college (college tennis), then played team sports through the age of 36. I then raced triathlons until age 56. Completed 2 Ironman races. Being a triathlete , I was in excellent shape when I took up golf.  I think that helped a ton.

Edited by 596
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, Mcgeeno said:

Ex hockey player at my club started golf last year. Absolutely beautiful action and a ton of natural skill.

He is I think a 12 a year or so into his golf career. I assume he will be an easy low single digit once he learns the game in another year or so.

Seems all hockey players that I have come across are pretty good golfers as well.  I have yet to meet one that was a bad golfer.  Mabe a goalie, not so much!  🙂

DRIVER - PING G425 SFT / TITLEIST TSi3 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - TITLEIST TSi3 13.5* &  TSi3 16.5*

HYBRIDS - PXG 0317 X GEN2 19*

IRONS - TITLEIST T300 [5i] / T200 [6i-GW] Combo

WEDGES - CLEVELAND RTX ZIPCORE 52.10 / 56.10 / 60.10

PUTTER - L.A.B. GOLF - DIRECTED FORCE 2.1

PXG 0317 X

Gregory John Norman was born on February 10, 1955 in Mount Isa, Queensland, Australia. He played rugby and Aussie Rules football while growing up but became hooked on golf at age 15 after serving as a caddie for his mother. His first golf instruction came through Jack Nicklaus’ book, Golf My Way, and after a mere 18 months, Norman played to a scratch handicap.

I read somewhere that Norman the first time he played shot 100- can't exactly remember. But the point is he was one of the most talented golfers of all time. 

While I've never witnessed it myself - I suppose everyone's heard the tale of Larry Nelson who took up the game at 21 after returning from the War in Vietnam,  broke 100 the first time out, broke 70 within 9 months, and went on to win 41 tournaments on the PGA Tour.

I did play with a guy once who shot 85-ish, with borrowed clubs, on a course he'd never played before, whose brother (that I used to play with fairly frequently) swore he only played maybe once a year. Had what I'd call a "natural swing," just couldn't chip or putt worth a damn. And he professed that it was the reason he didn't have much interest in pursuing the game, it just wasn't worth his time to get that invested in practicing or playing regularly.

And that's the thing, I've played with tons of former athletes over the years - former hockey players are probably the best, seems everybody claims to be a former baseball player and they're the worst as they tend to spray the ball all over the place - and while I've seen many that had a very serviceable swing for a newbie, and could hit decent full shots, the biggest thing that I see that would keep most from breaking 100 or getting better quickly is the short game. It's hard to teach touch, and it just doesn't come naturally.

I played a round a couple years ago with a buddy of mine who was creative director at my old company. Big Aussie and about the nicest guy you'd ever meet who'd only recently - like within the prior 6 months - started playing. 

First tee, he absolutely crushes it god knows how far. An odd looking swing but incredibly effective. Just puring everything till he got around the green where his n00bness was more evident. 

After a few holes, I was like "Dude ... six months? Lies!" 

Turns out he was an elite cricket player as a kid. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Edited by aenemated

Titleist TSi4 10°

Titleist TSi3 15°

Titleist TS2 18°

Taylormade P7MC 4-PW

Vokey 54°, 60°

Scotty Cameron Newport 

Does this count ? My wife gets the bug to play about 4-5 times a year, no range time, no warm up, makes me ride in the cart with her. Just plays 9 and breaks 50 every time out. If she could putt even a little she could shoot 40.

Competitive swimmer all thru high school, college and Olympic trials, etc. 

5'10, hits it about 175-180 off the tee and then hits quail-high 5-7 irons on or near the green. Has absolutely no interest in learning the game either.

I think she does this just to mock me.... smh.

1 hour ago, Ghostwedge said:

Does this count ? My wife gets the bug to play about 4-5 times a year, no range time, no warm up, makes me ride in the cart with her. Just plays 9 and breaks 50 every time out. If she could putt even a little she could shoot 40.

Competitive swimmer all thru high school, college and Olympic trials, etc. 

5'10, hits it about 175-180 off the tee and then hits quail-high 5-7 irons on or near the green. Has absolutely no interest in learning the game either.

I think she does this just to mock me.... smh.

Not unless she's tells you, "Honey, you really do suck at golf."

A buddy called me up the other week to tell me about his round, but instead goes off on his playing partners for the day ... "You should have seen them, two little old white haired ladies. Neither one could hit it out of their shadows. But the one of them had a bag with only 4 or 5 clubs in it, hit everything dead solid and straight, had this chipper she used on every shot inside 100 yards, and I think she one-putted at least half the greens. She might have played the forwardest set of tees, and I bet she was 90, but she probably could have broke 90 if she'd played 18 holes instead of just nine."

• Haha 1

Sounds like a sand bagger to me or he used to play baseball in high school.  Naw, I'm messing.  My two siblings are really good golfers.  We are all very athletic as my brother and I played baseball and golf in high school and I played golf in college and my sister played soft ball in high school. My brother being a single cap and my sister a 12 cap.  She didn't start until her mid 20's whereas my brother and I started when we were little kids.  She has 3 kids now so she doesn't have time to golf.  However, before the kids, when she took up golf, she had a solid swing to begin with and could hit it 180 right off the bat on a good swing.  She was the fastest learner out of all of us for sure.  Didn't take long for her to break 100 and she became a 12 cap 3 years later.  So yeah it's possible but very rare. 

Edited by phizzy30

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

On 6/10/2021 at 7:54 PM, Sons_of_Pitches said:

Seems all hockey players that I have come across are pretty good golfers as well.  I have yet to meet one that was a bad golfer.  Maybe a goalie, not so much!  🙂

The motion of a slapshot in hockey is very similar to a golf swing, so hockey players tend to naturally have high swing speeds and pick up ball striking rather quickly.  Then the finesse, hand-eye coordination, and distance control one develops in hockey for stick-handling and short saucer passes carries over well to the short game in golf (once someone shows them the technique for various shots).  The main new wrinkle for a hockey player is learning how to adjust/predict how the ball will react due to spin, slope of the green, lie, etc.

3 hours ago, cadoipi said:

The motion of a slapshot in hockey is very similar to a golf swing, so hockey players tend to naturally have high swing speeds and pick up ball striking rather quickly.  Then the finesse, hand-eye coordination, and distance control one develops in hockey for stick-handling and short saucer passes carries over well to the short game in golf (once someone shows them the technique for various shots).  The main new wrinkle for a hockey player is learning how to adjust/predict how the ball will react due to spin, slope of the green, lie, etc.

Bingo.  I have a client that plays hockey for a D1 school.  He just started to play golf.  I gave him a couple lessons.  I'm waiting to take him for a trackman session, but if I had to guess, his ss is easily 120+.  My jaw hit the floor when he hit driver.  He's still raw, but when he connects he carries it at least 300.  Got a couple baseball guys who play for smaller schools.  They are both low single caps and make serious ss.  It's a really easy transition for these guys. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

Those coming from stick and ball/puck sports often pickup up golf pretty easily. Especially if they took up those sports at a young age. I really think there is something to the "wiring" one obtains in learning certain physical activities early on.

In tennis I can pretty easily identify the player who played a lot as a kid, even though they may currently be struggling with their game because of a lack of practice. You can still see it in how they move.

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, dubbelbogey said:

Those coming from stick and ball/puck sports often pickup up golf pretty easily. Especially if they took up those sports at a young age. I really think there is something to the "wiring" one obtains in learning certain physical activities early on.

In tennis I can pretty easily identify the player who played a lot as a kid, even though they may currently be struggling with their game because of a lack of practice. You can still see it in how they move.

I am a rising college sophomore and I play D-1 tennis at a lower tier college. I've been playing tennis at a very young age and spent one full year at a tennis academy in Naples Florida.  I start transitioning to golf last year due to the pandemic and I just want to hang out with my father more.  I find that golf is so much harder than tennis.  Since I play tennis with a two handed backhand, the golf swing is quite naturally for me.  Yesterday, I drove several 295 yards long with my titleist driver.  I think my swing is ok.  It is my putting and chipping that need to be worked on.