LPGA Morgan Pressel as commentator

SEP1006

Give Morgan's IG page a follow.  Lots of pre-event posts like this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce30uCvgCQJ/?hl=en

• Like 2

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

47 minutes ago, MagicClassic407 said:

I miss Jerry.

Lonely Miss You GIF

Hmmmm, not only an analyst but also an expert in the inner workings of women's golf, who now works for an organization who's looking for new and creative ways to enter the world of golf, and money seems to be no object.  Sometimes when the front door is locked it's easier to enter the back door and maybe you'll get to hear Jerry call women's golf again sooner than you think 👀

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Hmmmm, not only an analyst but also an expert in the inner workings of women's golf, who now works for an organization who's looking for new and creative ways to enter the world of golf, and money seems to be no object.  Sometimes when the front door is locked it's easier to enter the back door and maybe you'll get to hear Jerry call women's golf again sooner than you think 👀

I think you raise a good point.  Jerry will be a big advocate for the LPGA.  Everyone knows that the prize money for the women is tiny compared to their male counterparts.  SA, by way of Aramco or Saudi Golf, is already prominent on many LPGA players and they have the LET Aramco series.  It wouldn't be a stretch to have a LIV style league for the women.  But I don't think GN will be at the helm of that.  He is too much of a narcissist to care about the ladies.  I don't know if there is an equivalent to him on the Women's side.    

SA has started kicking tires with Women's tennis so it's not a stretch to see them do more for Women's golf.  After all, they have unlimited funds and can pretty much buy anything they want to.  Whether that is good for the game is, of course, debatable. 

Saudi Arabia sets its sights on hosting women's tennis tour with WTA (msn.com)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, HankScorpio said:

I think you raise a good point.  Jerry will be a big advocate for the LPGA.  Everyone knows that the prize money for the women is tiny compared to their male counterparts.  SA, by way of Aramco or Saudi Golf, is already prominent on many LPGA players and they have the LET Aramco series.  It wouldn't be a stretch to have a LIV style league for the women.  But I don't think GN will be at the helm of that.  He is too much of a narcissist to care about the ladies.  I don't know if there is an equivalent to him on the Women's side.    

SA has started kicking tires with Women's tennis so it's not a stretch to see them do more for Women's golf.  After all, they have unlimited funds and can pretty much buy anything they want to.  Whether that is good for the game is, of course, debatable. 

Saudi Arabia sets its sights on hosting women's tennis tour with WTA (msn.com)

There is a massive difference between hosting an event and creating a new tour. The LPGA is already fairly niche, the LIV stuff while drawing a lot of discussion the online viewership numbers I saw were okish, 112k watching on youtube for example, but by day 3 the number was sub 80k. I just dont see the viewership being there for the ladies. Now, hosting a massive prize pool tournament would be something I figure is far more likely. It keeps the LPGA/LET viewership and is a fraction of the cost. Additionally, they could just be a title sponsor for the LPGA, no drama with fracturing the tour, far less cost, and you carry over the viewership without the need of doing anything.

• Like 2

I certainly think Jerry Foltz was an asset and it'll be hard to replace his expertise and familiarity with the LPGA players but he also had that annoying thing all announcers do where they patronize the viewer to some degree. He was a bit of a fan-boy and the king of hype and fake shock. 

I can't tell you how often I heard "she'll be lucky to advance this 15 yards" only to watch a player hit an iron to the middle of the green without much effort. Dude, c'mon...how many times can you be stunned beyond belief? 

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I'm OK with Morgan. Even her strange but quite melodious voice. Still at the "basic commentary" stage but has plenty of knowledge of the game to contribute. 

But having said that, she may have a sense of fun but that's absolutely not the same as a sense of humour, which I don't detect. Where's the irony, the smart repartee, the creativity - all the things you get with the great commentators like Peter Aliss? These things are either in your personality or they're not. You don't get too much true humour and irony in all sports but there's plenty in some. British snooker players are a good example. Some real wits there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pmcuk said:

I'm OK with Morgan. Even her strange but quite melodious voice. Still at the "basic commentary" stage but has plenty of knowledge of the game to contribute. 

But having said that, she may have a sense of fun but that's absolutely not the same as a sense of humour, which I don't detect. Where's the irony, the smart repartee, the creativity - all the things you get with the great commentators like Peter Aliss? These things are either in your personality or they're not. You don't get too much true humour and irony in all sports but there's plenty in some. British snooker players are a good example. Some real wits there. 

A legitimate question, but really, how many Peter Allises are there calling golf?  If there are more than one or two, I haven't heard them.

And it's rather regrettable but we live in an era where humor and smart repartee are only likely to get you in trouble, so we end up with vanilla.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, postfold said:

A legitimate question, but really, how many Peter Allises are there calling golf?  If there are more than one or two, I haven't heard them.

And it's rather regrettable but we live in an era where humor and smart repartee are only likely to get you in trouble, so we end up with vanilla.

And don't forget we end up with guys like Rich Lerner and Jim Grey who think they're in the same league with Peter Allis.

• Thanks 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Tom Abbott has that sense of humour, at times whimsy, in that peerless - though not superior - English manner.

You can sense that there is even a darker, cutting side dying to be let loose but he tempers his comments. Still the odd one seeps out.

Also knowledgeable. A fine commentator with an excellent voice, vocabulary, delivery and timing.

• Like 4

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

A different sport, but I do like Peter Drury (he's rather good with the football  broadcasts.   They really do not have many broadcasters in the mould of Peter Allis -- who comes from the same "style" as Henry Longhurst, Henry Blofeld, Alistair Cooke, and others.  It might be argued that David Attenborough is perhaps the last of that generation or 'style' .   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

A different sport, but I do like Peter Drury (he's rather good with the football  broadcasts.   They really do not have many broadcasters in the mould of Peter Allis -- who comes from the same "style" as Henry Longhurst, Henry Blofeld, Alistair Cooke, and others.  It might be argued that David Attenborough is perhaps the last of that generation or 'style' .   

As a football (soccer) and cricket tragic I agree with all the above👍

An element I like about Tom is occasionally a cheeky schoolboy or almost the sarcastic emerges in his commentary and you can just about script what his next comment might be if he wasn't on air. You want him to make that next comment.

I want to pour a nice single malt in a cut crystal glass and settle back and watch the play when Tom is on air. Sometimes I do.

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

Frankly, I think all the women (except Judy Rankin) simply talk too much.  Kay Cockerill loves words, big words, too many words.  And Karen Stupples talks non-stop and when she's in her "whispering" mode you cannot understand one word she says.  They ruin women's golf for me, so I most always record & watch later, FF'ing thru all the babble. Morgan seems to be getting more talkative too.  

• Like 1

I think Morgan does a pretty good job. She is obviously putting in the work, as she is very prepared about specifics on the golf course (putts from particular locations, et. al.) so I give her credit there for sure. I would like to see a little less chatter and a little more personality — surely she has some wit / sense of humor, and hopefully we see that as she gets more comfortable in what is a pretty tough job. 

She is orders of magnitude better than Paige Mackenzie….not a fan, she comes across as a ball of nerves with the constant chatter, nervous laughter, and fidgeting with the pen. 

• Haha 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

A network boss once told a new on air commentator that if you describe anything that is obvious to the viewer, you will be fired on the spot.

Must add value.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rapidcat said:

I want to pour a nice single malt in a cut crystal glass and settle back and watch the play when Tom is on air. Sometimes I do.

Tom's on air right now . . . but heck its only 10:00 a.m. here and I can't bring myself to pour a glass of single malt (or any whisky/whiskey) right now 😂🤪

6 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

Tom's on air right now . . . but heck its only 10:00 a.m. here and I can't bring myself to pour a glass of single malt (or any whisky/whiskey) right now 😂🤪

Yes, it's 3am here and my scotch tumbler is put away.

I'll have a nice cocoa instead and enjoy Tom's dulcet tones to that.

Edited by Rapidcat
  • Haha 3

Deputy dupe

Edited by RainShadow

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

10 hours ago, mshills said:

I think Morgan does a pretty good job. She is obviously putting in the work, as she is very prepared about specifics on the golf course (putts from particular locations, et. al.) so I give her credit there for sure. I would like to see a little less chatter and a little more personality — surely she has some wit / sense of humor, and hopefully we see that as she gets more comfortable in what is a pretty tough job. 

She is orders of magnitude better than Paige Mackenzie….not a fan, she comes across as a ball of nerves with the constant chatter, nervous laughter, and fidgeting with the pen. 

Do her and Paige have the same inflections when they speak?

Hard for me to tell them apart.

Both are very annoying.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

11 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

Tom Abbott has that sense of humour, at times whimsy, in that peerless - though not superior - English manner.

You can sense that there is even a darker, cutting side dying to be let loose but he tempers his comments. Still the odd one seeps out.

Also knowledgeable. A fine commentator with an excellent voice, vocabulary, delivery and timing.

Love Tom Abbott. 

Dude is the perfect guy for that job. 

• Like 1

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

9 hours ago, the bishop said:

Morgan in her Head of HR outfit today.

I think Morgan has a time machine or something because those outfits are something to behold. 

That said, I love her in the booth. She's been a superb addition. You can't replace a Judy Rankin, but it looks like the LPGA broadcasters have found a legitimate ex-player with some real microphone ability and a future that could be decades-long. 

I'm rooting for Morgan 100%. So far, she's been doing an ideal job all things considered. 

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 3

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

On 6/26/2022 at 12:00 PM, Kaysquare said:

Frankly, I think all the women (except Judy Rankin) simply talk too much.  Kay Cockerill loves words, big words, too many words.  And Karen Stupples talks non-stop and when she's in her "whispering" mode you cannot understand one word she says.  They ruin women's golf for me, so I most always record & watch later, FF'ing thru all the babble. Morgan seems to be getting more talkative too.  

At some point, US sports broadcasting brought in a rule that no second can pass without an announcer uttering words.  Silence is death, apparently.

Unless it is all some sinister plot in outing people, as per the old adage "better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."

• Like 1