LPGA Morgan Pressel as commentator

SEP1006

I think Morgan is pretty good, but just needs to speak about 80% of her current number of words.

I really love her passion, and knowledge of the game. She's got a sense of fun, but is not overly witty - although comparing her directly with Peter Aliss is a bit harsh!! He was the king. Her outfits are mind-blowing. One tournament I thought she had come off the set for "Little House on the Prairie". She's a character alright!

I like most of the commentators, despite my criticisms. They are like my only friends!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Zitlow said:

With her hair style and clothing choices Morgan is probably a Quaker. 

She's Jewish😂

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

6 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

She's Jewish😂

Today i learnt that Morgan Pressel is related to the former tennis prodigy Aaron Krickstein!

Extract/Quote:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_Pressel 

"Born in Tampa, Florida, to Mike Pressel and Kathy Krickstein Pressel, she attended Banyan Creek Elementary School, Omni Middle School, and graduated in 2006 from the Saint Andrew's School in Boca Raton, a private school affiliated with the Episcopal Church.[2] She has stated that her Jewish faith plays a large role in her life.[3]

Following her mother's death from breast cancer in September 2003, 15-year-old Pressel moved in with her maternal grandparents, Evelyn and Herb Krickstein, at St. Andrews Country Club in Boca Raton, Florida. Her two younger siblings stayed with their father. Her grandfather, a retired physician and pathologist, is also her coach. The Kricksteins' son and Pressel's uncle is former professional tennis player Aaron Krickstein.[4]

Pressel's younger sister Madison played collegiate golf for the University of Texas[5] and won on the Symetra Tour in 2014.

In January 2013, Pressel married Andy Bush, a senior vice president at Octagon Global Events. The two met at a pro-am event in 2007.[6][7]"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mshills said:

I think Morgan's biggest challenge is succeeding Judy Rankin, who was one of the best ever in the booth, female or male.

So leaving the comparisons aside, I think Morgan will have a fine career.  She is knowledgeable and well-prepared, and seems to enjoy what she is doing.  A little more brevity and a little more wit is all I'd ask for.

How is she gonna change her voice though?  Although Erin Andrews blows her away in the annoying voice catagory.

9 hours ago, Playmaker88 said:

How is she gonna change her voice though?  Although Erin Andrews blows her away in the annoying voice catagory.

If one was so inclined, they take voice and elocution lessons to help develop a better tone, timbre, etc.   Similar to voice lessons for singing but for broadcasting instead.   

I became a Morgan Pressel fan when she called out Michelle Wie for being over hyped years ago, early in their careers. She was never afraid to speak her mind while on Tour, and I think as she settles in and gets more comfortable in this role, she’s going to excel.

I have to say though, a hair and wardrobe makeover is desperately needed. It’s gotten to the point now where I’m looking forward to her first appearance on camera, just to get a good chuckle, and she rarely disappoints.

She’s an attractive woman, but the Amish chic thing isn’t cutting it.

Edited by john myrbch

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

• 4 weeks later...

I get frustrated by both the amount of words she says and her analysis. Pretty much the same with Stupples. For whatever reason they feel the need to explain why a particular shot did what it did. It doesn't matter the angle that they're/we're watching from, they can definitely tell you that the putter face shut down or if the strike sounded solid or not. SMH 

Rankin was the absolute best so certainly big shoes to fill, but it's pretty annoying. Hopefully she'll learn. Faldo never did. Always has to explain why the player missed the shot despite the fact that it could be 50 different reasons. 

Edited by gunmetal
  • Like 2

I really thought today's/this week's broadcast was terrible.  Terrible in that the mixing of the two broadcast teams was a hot mess.  On course analysts were talking over the booth and vice versa . . . and then the two booth teams would rotate with the groups, and I think Morgan did not have her best week in the booth.  

We had the nice quiet or softly spoken descriptions from Sophie Walker, then it went to Morgan who was in the booth and her mic was not set well with volume control so it was like a quiet tv show and then a commercial comes on and you jump because the volume is so much louder. 

Not Morgan's fault per se, but they really need to get her to take some voice lessons in learning to keep her voice at the lower ends of the decibel range . . .  Also, a proper or better sound technician to mix the different vocal tracks. 

Here were some of the best . . . they knew that sometimes the silence can be golden.  They were not perfect -- no one is, but these two had a way of doing it -- Ben Wright and Henry Longhurst.

Side Note -- some significant history here on the 16th hole -- note the placement of the pin on Sunday compared to where it is traditionally placed these days.  😉 

Edited by Golf Dino
  • Like 3

^^^^ this take is accurate. Some really obvious and basic production errors on yesterday’s coverage. 

As stated earlier, I like Pressel. She’s no Judy Rankin, but no one is. This wasn’t Pressel’s best week — if two words will do, use two, not twenty two.  

• Like 2

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

• 2 weeks later...

I don't care what she wears, but that voice and her inflections are just annoying....

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I think Pressel can be summed up in the one item that stuck with me from the past weekend.  "If you lose concentration for a second, for a half a second, this course will bite you."

Ok, it's a difficult course, no question.  But exactly how long are you supposed to be concentrating?  how do we know it's a loss of concentration?

Although in fairness, she is likely being coached by some producers who seem to be absolutely deaf to what viewers actually enjoy.  When McKay was on NBC, he tended to speak in definitives(is that a word?).  "Absolutely.  Completely.  100%."  Everything amplified to the nth degree, kind of like how disagreeing with someone's opinion is apparently "hating" nowadays.

But she seems to be making anyone who didn't think they would Judy Rankin reconsider that opinion. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

I think Pressel can be summed up in the one item that stuck with me from the past weekend.  "If you lose concentration for a second, for a half a second, this course will bite you."

Ok, it's a difficult course, no question.  But exactly how long are you supposed to be concentrating?  how do we know it's a loss of concentration?

Although in fairness, she is likely being coached by some producers who seem to be absolutely deaf to what viewers actually enjoy.  When McKay was on NBC, he tended to speak in definitives(is that a word?).  "Absolutely.  Completely.  100%."  Everything amplified to the nth degree, kind of like how disagreeing with someone's opinion is apparently "hating" nowadays.

But she seems to be making anyone who didn't think they would Judy Rankin reconsider that opinion. 

Absolutely.  Unequivocally.  Perfectly said.  It would be completely, totally physically impossible for me to like this post any less.

I am not sure if there was a specific turning point where such banalities became required, but there is no going back, it's literally 🙄 everywhere 🙄🙄 now.

Muirfield is a difficult golf course, but even a neurosurgeon is not at absolute peak concentration and focus for every half second of surgery.  How exactly does the course bite you if you fail to maintain such superior concentration with 150 yards to go as you walk to your ball?  You could defend this as MP exaggerating for effect, but the effect is not effective when so many statements use the can-you-top-this over the top method.

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

4 hours ago, farmer said:

Morgan can get some voice lessons, improve her diction, no problem.  But, she desperately needs a wardrobe person, and I remember some of the atrocities we wore in the 70's.

Does her wardrobe actually impact her television announcing? Good grief people. All television personalities have wardrobe people. What is the last outfit that Judy, Paige or Karen wore that was a standout? How about Tom Abbot or Terry Gannon?

It's really disturbing how many alleged LPGA "fans" here at WRX do nothing but continually complain, whine and criticize everything about the coverage of the LPGA instead of promoting it.

Check yourselves and appreciate what the LPGA currently has and enjoy it. It may not always be this good going forward. The current LPGA tv contract that the LPGA (with help from the PGA Tour) has it on air more than ever. But, But, But. 😖 Guess it's Mike Whans fault.

Edited by grm24
  • Thanks 3

On 8/12/2022 at 8:20 PM, farmer said:

Morgan can get some voice lessons, improve her diction, no problem.  But, she desperately needs a wardrobe person, and I remember some of the atrocities we wore in the 70's.

Morgan just needs a stylist to do a makeover of hair, makeup, clothing. She doesn't need to look like a model, just get rid of the matronly look.  Morgan could be quite attractive.  Even in her 70's Judy Rankin had help with makeup, hair & clothing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/28/2022 at 9:13 PM, Golf Dino said:

If one was so inclined, they take voice and elocution lessons to help develop a better tone, timbre, etc.   Similar to voice lessons for singing but for broadcasting instead.   

... Before becoming an actor, I was a DJ on the radio starting in Grenville NC and moving to bigger markets until finally reaching Chicago. You certainly don't need lessons, although it would not be a bad idea. You only need to practice which is the way 99% of all DJ's learned to both lower and annunciate in a pleasing tone. 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

Whilst the world at large and the golf world specifically have more pressing issues, got to say I wasn't a fan of Morgan's blouse from the first day of the Mediheal.

Looked like a hot pink version of something Lizzie Borden would have worn, as such I was a little disturbed, even concerned for her commentary partners 🙂

• Haha 2

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

On 8/13/2022 at 2:27 AM, grm24 said:

Does her wardrobe actually impact her television announcing? Good grief people. All television personalities have wardrobe people. What is the last outfit that Judy, Paige or Karen wore that was a standout? How about Tom Abbot or Terry Gannon?

It's really disturbing how many alleged LPGA "fans" here at WRX do nothing but continually complain, whine and criticize everything about the coverage of the LPGA instead of promoting it.

Check yourselves and appreciate what the LPGA currently has and enjoy it. It may not always be this good going forward. The current LPGA tv contract that the LPGA (with help from the PGA Tour) has it on air more than ever. But, But, But. 😖 Guess it's Mike Whans fault.

Considering you rarely contribute to anything related to an actual current round of golf being played, are you only here to criticize people when they post stuff that doesn't sit well with you?

Relax, have a drink or six, there's enough fun police in the real world. 

• Like 2