LPGA Morgan Pressel as commentator

SEP1006

On 10/4/2022 at 6:57 AM, Hacker76 said:

After being spoiled with Judy last weekend it's gonna be hard to listen to Morgan. She's probably a very nice person but her piercing voice goes right through me. I would love to hear like a Danielle Kang type of personality at the mic. 

I too appreciated being spoiled by Judy this past week. I now return to watching with the sound turned off.

The graphics tell me everything that I need to know. If the fans on the sidelines can enjoy without commentary, then so can I.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gsrjc said:

She needs to fire her dresser. 

Maybe her dresser is playing an ongoing practical joke on her?

• Haha 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

As a Scandinavian travelling quite a lot Morgan comes through as the typical chatty american girl you meet travelling the world. Enthusiastic, well spoken, and speaking a lot. Some like it, some not. I like it, most of the time. She might no be a Rankin but she’s doing a great job, and golf wise her comments seems mostly sound.

• Like 3

I thoroughly enjoyed this week of golf, without Morgan. It was refreshing to hear commentary from one who has won more than twenty events in her career, as opposed to one who has won only three, and none in over 15 years.

Congratulations to Lydia for her impressive victory today.

Also, Congrats to Andrea Lee for her strong second showing. I feel that we will be seeing much more of her in the top standings of future tournaments.

BUT, back to the topic at hand. How does someone so young and unaccomplished merit a seat in the commentary box of LPGA tournaments?

Seriously; 3 career wins; the last in 2008. What is wrong with this picture?

Please; anyone, enlighten me!

3 hours ago, CurtB5 said:

I thoroughly enjoyed this week of golf, without Morgan. It was refreshing to hear commentary from one who has won more than twenty events in her career, as opposed to one who has won only three, and none in over 15 years.

Also, Congrats to Andrea Lee for her strong second showing. I feel that we will be seeing much more of her in the top standings of future tournaments.

BUT, back to the topic at hand. How does someone so young and unaccomplished merit a seat in the commentary box of LPGA tournaments?

I dunno. We should ask Trevor Immelman.

• Haha 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Not impressed with Morgan Pressel as a commentator at all.  Her voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard which is why I watch with no sound, or I fast forward through the parts where she is speaking.  When she's adding "color" to her comments on a player she has a habit of making everything very dramatic and she seems to get almost breathless when doing it which is very annoying and another reason to mute her. The LPGA would do better picking an established, on the downhill slide, foreign player to better represent the tour as a "world tour".  As far as Pressel's clothing choices it seems fairly obvious that for a young person, she would come across much better visually if she wore athletic golf wear. 

On 10/23/2022 at 4:00 AM, CurtB5 said:

Seriously All; this was not a rhetorical question. Zero for 15 years?

Was Judy Rankin forced out in favor of youth? I certainly hope not!

I can't imagine there are a lot of ex-players clamoring for the job. After playing on tour for years, and schlepping from city to city, hotel to hotel, does one really want to spend more time on the road? I'd think that most touring pros would want to hand in their frequent flyer cards for a while.

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

On 10/23/2022 at 9:31 AM, Argonne69 said:

I dunno. We should ask Trevor Immelman.

How about Lanny Wadkins who may have a bunch of PGA Tour wins, but only one major and hasn't won a non Senior Tour (by their own admission just an exhibition) since 1992. Throw in virtually every other male announcer as most haven't had a win in at least a decade. Geesh the bar for Pressel in this thread is idiotic.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

6 hours ago, mshills said:

This thread started in June 2021.  I think the more appropriate question is whether Pressel has settled into this role, is more comfortable, and is improving.

The comparisons to Judy Rankin are tough.  That's like comparing my putting stroke to Ben Crenshaw.  There is only one Judy Rankin, she is the best.

Back to my original point, I think the jury is still out.  When five words will do, use five, not fifteen, and take it easy on the over-dramatization....which isn't unique to Morgan and unfortunately, is what the majority of the audience wants to hear.  I'm fully aware that I am not the typical viewer!

On her career record, I just don't agree that playing accomplishments mean one is great in the booth.  I don't think the two have much if anything to do with each other.

Is that the case?  Or is it just what the producers think the audience want to hear. I've heard many times that TV people don't program for audiences, they program for other TV people.

I've also told this story many times, but it bears repeating:  Michael Crichton, author of Jurassic Park and creator of ER, once said TV people were the stupidest people he has ever dealt with.  When told it was a high bar given that he has a Ph. D., he said, "no, you don't understand.  I mean 2+2=5 stupid."

I'm not sure I have seen very much evidence to suggest those who would be involved in golf telecasts would not fit the same mold.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seamus_McDuff said:

Complainers should turn on the College golf to hear Paige and remember what could have been. 

Thank you Seamus!

Paige is an excellent commentator, and pleasant voice  as well. And also, an early morning refreshment at the Evian until Morgan chose to arrive later in the day.

How Paige was overlooked in the "Succeeding Judy Rankin" sweepstakes is beyond me.

Again, Morgan on Mute!! All others are welcome!!!

9 hours ago, CurtB5 said:

Thank you Seamus!

Paige is an excellent commentator, and pleasant voice  as well. And also, an early morning refreshment at the Evian until Morgan chose to arrive later in the day.

How Paige was overlooked in the "Succeeding Judy Rankin" sweepstakes is beyond me.

Again, Morgan on Mute!! All others are welcome!!!

Hmm - you seem to have reversed your only argument in your original post regarding Morgan:  that someone with “only” 3 wins and 15 years on tour isn’t qualified to be a commentator.  Paige has no wins and far fewer years on tour, so why are you considering her qualified?  Just to be clear, I think number of wins and years on tour aren’t very important qualifications, but earlier you certainly stated that they were.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Seamus_McDuff said:

Nope

Agreed. Unless you find constant giggling excellent commentary.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

The beatings will stop when you fall in line and remember that your  job is to buy from the advertisers and ask your doctor about (fill in the blank).

If you think she’s mediocre, imagine how mediocre the people are who decided she’s great for the role. They don’t know the difference between someone slightly less mediocre than them and someone really good.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

22 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

The beatings will stop when you fall in line and remember that your  job is to buy from the advertisers and ask your doctor about (fill in the blank).

If you think she’s mediocre, imagine how mediocre the people are who decided she’s great for the role. They don’t know the difference between someone slightly less mediocre than them and someone really good.

Like Carlin said, think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the people are dumber than that.

• Like 2

After 2 tournament of Kate Burton and Trish Johnson, Morgan's tones will be sweet, sweet music to my ears and salve to my soul.

I seem to reacted more violently to those Euro and Aussie commentators than anyone else on the boards. I honestly don't know what you guys were listening to, to not react like this. Am I less forgiving because I am an Aussie of British descent. I think maybe we forgive people who are not like us more easily. Having said that the American team is stocked with very high quality Brits, Tom Abbott and Karen Stupples.

Morgan is good, and will improve. Kate Burton thinks everything is astonishing, to the point where nothing is astonishing. Morgan has a tendency to over-dramatise, but it just needs a minor tweek compared to what Kate Burton needs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/8/2022 at 8:12 AM, Raving Shanker said:

After 2 tournament of Kate Burton and Trish Johnson, Morgan's tones will be sweet, sweet music to my ears and salve to my soul.

I seem to reacted more violently to those Euro and Aussie commentators than anyone else on the boards. I honestly don't know what you guys were listening to, to not react like this. Am I less forgiving because I am an Aussie of British descent. I think maybe we forgive people who are not like us more easily. Having said that the American team is stocked with very high quality Brits, Tom Abbott and Karen Stupples.

Morgan is good, and will improve. Kate Burton thinks everything is astonishing, to the point where nothing is astonishing. Morgan has a tendency to over-dramatise, but it just needs a minor tweek compared to what Kate Burton needs.

A person is somewhat stuck with their dialect but I turn the sound off with some guttural speakers, mainly Aussies unfortunately. I’m sure they’d find mine wearing too. 

Edited by Pastit