LPGA Morgan Pressel as commentator

SEP1006

Maybe Angela Stanford would be interested when she decides to hang up the spikes?  

Paradym Ai Smoke TD 10.5* (@ 9.5*) / Ventus Blue TR 6S

TM SIM2 Max 3HL 16.5* / Kuro Kage TiNi 70S

Paradym 5W 18* / GD Tour AD HD 7X

Ping G425 5H 26* / Ventus Velocore Blue HB 8S

Callaway '21 Apex Pro 5-PW / Fujikura Axiom 125X

Callaway JAWS 52*/56*/60* / KBS $-Taper 130 "8i Spinner"

Argolf Pendragon XL (Broomstick)

Snell MTB Black

4 hours ago, iamthebeard said:

Angela working for NBC this week on the coverage at Pelican as an on course commentator 

Funny thing is that I had no idea she was going to be working on course when I made that comment - it was mainly based on having heard her earlier in the season doing some commentating after she had finished her round.  I can't remember which tournament, though.

Paradym Ai Smoke TD 10.5* (@ 9.5*) / Ventus Blue TR 6S

TM SIM2 Max 3HL 16.5* / Kuro Kage TiNi 70S

Paradym 5W 18* / GD Tour AD HD 7X

Ping G425 5H 26* / Ventus Velocore Blue HB 8S

Callaway '21 Apex Pro 5-PW / Fujikura Axiom 125X

Callaway JAWS 52*/56*/60* / KBS $-Taper 130 "8i Spinner"

Argolf Pendragon XL (Broomstick)

Snell MTB Black

I actually saw her blink several times. Lol.

C'mon, she's doing fine. 

Angela is a nice addition. Would be nice if they expanded the coverage to have three feature groups. With the prize money increasing, a bit of it could be used to play for the extra camera group.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

On 10/26/2022 at 1:26 PM, BadgerLin said:

I disagree with your basic premise that someone with many wins has more insightful commentary than someone with a long career with “only” 3 wins.  Just as in baseball where the “stars” don’t often make good managers, the Hall of Fame golfer isn’t necessarily good in the booth.  Case in point - Nick Faldo offered little but talk about his wins rather than the players competing on a given day.  And while Annika is my all time favorite golfer, I don’t think she is very good as commentator.

While many disagree about Morgan’s voice, there’s no question she is very much “in the loop” with current players, caddies, and coaches and brings insights from those connections to the booth.  And it’s not like she was never relevant while playing.  As recently as 2019 she had 6 top 10s and contended in a major,  and her last event in 2021 was a top 10.

You have me on that one BadgerLin; excellent point. This is one argument that I am destined to lose, so I will withdraw and continue watching the LPGA with the sound muted. Great finish between Nelly and Lexie this week. Lexie came up short, but I am happy to see her competing at or near the top again!

On 11/15/2022 at 9:15 AM, maucca said:

I don't know how fine she is doing

because after her first meow i switch the voice off

I tried today for the sake of the CME, I truly did. But it is just not working.

All of the prior commentators over the years spoke as if they were in church or synagogue, with a reverence.

Morgan just shouts out without regard for anyone.

Her gain is our loss.

Thank goodness for MUTE.

• Haha 1

On 6/26/2022 at 9:45 PM, MelloYello said:

I think Morgan has a time machine or something because those outfits are something to behold. 

That said, I love her in the booth. She's been a superb addition. You can't replace a Judy Rankin, but it looks like the LPGA broadcasters have found a legitimate ex-player with some real microphone ability and a future that could be decades-long. 

I'm rooting for Morgan 100%. So far, she's been doing an ideal job all things considered. 

She's got all the personas down:  School marm, head of HR, relationship counselor, that mom on "The Goldbergs".  But she does have talent and I think she's been a great addition to the booth.  Tough to replace a legend, but she's got her own style, in more ways than one.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Please, please, now that the LPGA year is over, save all viewers from any more Morgan Pressel.

Rule No. 1 in broadcasting is to have a good voice; distinctive, measured, pleasant to the ear, and conveying pertinent information and observation. Putting it succinctly, Morgan Pressel has none of these. Such a whiny voice should never hit the airwaves.   Give me Karen Stupples, Kay Cockerell or (hooray) Angela Stanford…(she’s gonna be great).  And do not forget Julie Inkster who is also terrific.

Pressel speaks incessantly, much of hew prattle is nonsense, and she speaks with a know-it-all attitude and /or player criticism totally unearned from a player whose career was not even mediocre.  Her sole noteworthy victory at the Dinah in Palm Springs came to be when she was on the driving range hoping for a playoff, while all the leaders in the field were collapsing at once in numerous groups behind her.   She just has no credibility with anyone who knows golf.  

What a sad, unworthy follower to the magnificent Judy Rankin

On 11/21/2022 at 8:48 AM, Phreddy said:

It was a complete surprise to see Gerina Pillar/Mendoza on Golf Channel.  Articulate.  Insightful.  If she is hanging up the competitive sticks I would much rather have her in Morgan's seat.

thanks @Phreddy for the heads-up w.r.t. Gerina Pillar/Mendoza.

For folks who haven't seen/are interested to see ...
Just saw this on the Golf Channel's youtube upload.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2022 at 3:33 PM, Robert Lunz said:

Please, please, now that the LPGA year is over, save all viewers from any more Morgan Pressel.

Rule No. 1 in broadcasting is to have a good voice; distinctive, measured, pleasant to the ear, and conveying pertinent information and observation. Putting it succinctly, Morgan Pressel has none of these. Such a whiny voice should never hit the airwaves.   Give me Karen Stupples, Kay Cockerell or (hooray) Angela Stanford…(she’s gonna be great).  And do not forget Julie Inkster who is also terrific.

Pressel speaks incessantly, much of hew prattle is nonsense, and she speaks with a know-it-all attitude and /or player criticism totally unearned from a player whose career was not even mediocre.  Her sole noteworthy victory at the Dinah in Palm Springs came to be when she was on the driving range hoping for a playoff, while all the leaders in the field were collapsing at once in numerous groups behind her.   She just has no credibility with anyone who knows golf.  

What a sad, unworthy follower to the magnificent Judy Rankin

I feel that the choice of Morgan is more politically oriented than golf affiliated. Many in the know will understand what I mean.

However, absent a strong PETITION from LPGA fans, we are resigned to our MUTE buttons for the foreseeable future.

7 minutes ago, CurtB5 said:

I feel that the choice of Morgan is more politically oriented than golf affiliated. Many in the know will understand what I mean.

However, absent a strong PETITION from LPGA fans, we are resigned to our MUTE buttons for the foreseeable future.

p.s. it wasn't very long ago that Sponsorship of the LPGA was in trouble. That it bounced back so strongly was truly amazing.

Let's not allow sub-standard commentary to contribute to another decline.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, CurtB5 said:

I am not in the know, so what do you mean?

8 hours ago, Hacker76 said:

After listening to Kate Burton at the Asia tournaments this year Morgan became less relevant, there is something about an English accent that just demands my attention.

I have entirely the opposite view to you.

It seems that the anti-Morgan brigade are very loud and voluminous in posting. But how would Morgan's approval rating go if we put it to a vote? At the end of the day Morgan gets a tick from me.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Raving Shanker said:

I have entirely the opposite view to you.

It seems that the anti-Morgan brigade are very loud and voluminous in posting. But how would Morgan's approval rating go if we put it to a vote? At the end of the day Morgan gets a tick from me.

Yep, I'm in agreement with you, I vote yes for Morgan.

Why?

Her playing career

She has an appropriate top level playing career: LPGAT USD$8m in prizemoney, 361 events, 2 wins, 6 Solheim Cups. She T2 at the US Womens Open in 2005 AS AN AMATEUR.

What more is needed to say that a person knows what they are talking about re this role? Oh, she hasn't won a major....neither did Judy Rankin, that didn't prevent her from being an outstanding commentator.

Her connections with the modern game

She's a recent player, has just about everyone in her contact list and works each event to get interesting info. I find her insightful. She's more recent as a player than the other regular commentators.

Her voice

Let's face it, this is the real issue for most. A little voice training/adjustment is all that's needed. It isn't that hard, actors do it, radio and TV people do it, hell even I did it in my early 20's for business environment reasons (lower, mellifluous voice = more authority). 

Does she talk too much? I don't think so because what she says I think is interesting and adds to the coverage but others may think differently. Having watched the recent gab fest on the LET Asian leg with Kate Burton and Trish Johnson, there is no way that she is worse than them. Just don't have Morgan and Karen helming a coverage together.

I think she can be excellent with a little voice training.

Just for contrast, Judy isn't without criticism, she made one insensitive and just dumb comment during last year's Solheim and I wonder if that influenced the network to retire her?

• Like 4

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

4 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

Her voice

Let's face it, this is the real issue for most. A little voice training/adjustment is all that's needed. It isn't that hard, actors do it, radio and TV people do it, hell even I did it in my early 20's for business environment reasons (lower, mellifluous voice = more authority). 

Nothing can improve her voice, 20 years too late to do anything.

Player career means nothing

i have never understood the american way of thinking the best player is the most suitable for everything, you must have a lot of majors if you want to be a captain of US Ryder Cup team. 

Europe made last time very bad mistake by giving the captain title to Padraig Harrington as a reward for his three majors, because his nice guy look is not real.

Stats of the 10 last Ryder Cup,

number of captain's majors of the winner team  vs. the losers ... 7 - 25

so you ca be a good captain without majors, and you can be also a good commentator without a great golf career.

What you need

just a pleasant personality, pleasant voice and of course good knowledge of golf and golf players.

and a fake smile from morning to night is not an advantage

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maucca said:

Nothing can improve her voice, 20 years too late to do anything.

Sorry, that is just silly, anyone can have voice training, at 34 yo, it will take Morgan little problem to modify her voice...she's not 70!

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

9 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

Yep, I'm in agreement with you, I vote yes for Morgan.

Why?

Her playing career

She has an appropriate top level playing career: LPGAT USD$8m in prizemoney, 361 events, 2 wins, 6 Solheim Cups. She T2 at the US Womens Open in 2005 AS AN AMATEUR.

What more is needed to say that a person knows what they are talking about re this role? Oh, she hasn't won a major....neither did Judy Rankin, that didn't prevent her from being an outstanding commentator.

Her connections with the modern game

She's a recent player, has just about everyone in her contact list and works each event to get interesting info. I find her insightful. She's more recent as a player than the other regular commentators.

Her voice

Does she talk too much? I don't think so because what she says I think is interesting and adds to the coverage but others may think differently. Having watched the recent gab fest on the LET Asian leg with Kate Burton and Trish Johnson, there is no way that she is worse than them. Just don't have Morgan and Karen helming a coverage together.

I think she can be excellent with a little voice training.

Just for contrast, Judy isn't without criticism, she made one insensitive and just dumb comment during last year's Solheim and I wonder if that influenced the network to retire her?

I got used to Morgan's voice in short order. It took me all of 2-3 events. 

Either adjust and get over it or move along.

• Like 1

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS