Voice Caddie SC300 questions

I'm a new SC300 owner and I’m wondering if my unit is performing properly. I have not had any luck getting answers from their tech support and their manual is very slim.

1. It does not display any smash factor under 1.00 on the unit itself, though it does catalogue that info in the shot data on the app. For example, if a chip shot has a Smash Factor of 0.96, the screen of the unit will show only dashes. The shot catalogue section of the app will show a smash factor of 0.96 however. 

2. This is the most frustrating part. When the unit is set to show total distance, the practice screen on the app will show the correct total distance but that figure will be repeated in the carry distance square. So, for example, both carry distance and total distance in the practice screen of the app will read “282.5”. Again, the shot catalogue portion of the app will have the correct data. It will say Carry of 268.5 and total of 282.5, in this example. 

3. Launch angle data is not displayed anywhere unless the shot travels 30 yards or more. So for chipping, no launch angle.

Are my number 1 and 3 items normal? Is number 2 a potential app glitch? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, TheDuke365 said:

I'm a new SC300 owner and I’m wondering if my unit is performing properly. I have not had any luck getting answers from their tech support and their manual is very slim.

1. It does not display any smash factor under 1.00 on the unit itself, though it does catalogue that info in the shot data on the app. For example, if a chip shot has a Smash Factor of 0.96, the screen of the unit will show only dashes. The shot catalogue section of the app will show a smash factor of 0.96 however. 

2. This is the most frustrating part. When the unit is set to show total distance, the practice screen on the app will show the correct total distance but that figure will be repeated in the carry distance square. So, for example, both carry distance and total distance in the practice screen of the app will read “282.5”. Again, the shot catalogue portion of the app will have the correct data. It will say Carry of 268.5 and total of 282.5, in this example. 

3. Launch angle data is not displayed anywhere unless the shot travels 30 yards or more. So for chipping, no launch angle.

Are my number 1 and 3 items normal? Is number 2 a potential app glitch? Thanks in advance.

Hmm. Not sure anything is wrong on 1 and 3.

1. Smash factor is ball speed / club head speed. On non specialty shots the ball has to be moving at least as fast as the club head immediately after impact so min. smash factor would have to be 1.  To get the ball to come off the face slower than the swing speed you'd have to be opening the face or otherwise manipulating it. I don't think the unit is advanced enough to consistently or accurately calculate that.

2. Seems like a bug in the app. Does the unit itself show separate carry and total distances? The app is reported to have a few issues. Maybe they will address with a firmware update in the future. . .

3. Looks like Swing Caddie claims the range for the SC300 starts at 10 yards.  I think it is generally accepted that in the $500 PLM space these units are going to struggle with picking up chip/pitch shots under 20-30 yards. I have had success using the SC300i for pitching but haven't tried it for anything under 40 yards for the reason above.

Good luck

On 6/12/2021 at 6:54 AM, Dan13 said:

Hmm. Not sure anything is wrong on 1 and 3.

1. Smash factor is ball speed / club head speed. On non specialty shots the ball has to be moving at least as fast as the club head immediately after impact so min. smash factor would have to be 1.  To get the ball to come off the face slower than the swing speed you'd have to be opening the face or otherwise manipulating it. I don't think the unit is advanced enough to consistently or accurately calculate that.

2. Seems like a bug in the app. Does the unit itself show separate carry and total distances? The app is reported to have a few issues. Maybe they will address with a firmware update in the future. . .

3. Looks like Swing Caddie claims the range for the SC300 starts at 10 yards.  I think it is generally accepted that in the $500 PLM space these units are going to struggle with picking up chip/pitch shots under 20-30 yards. I have had success using the SC300i for pitching but haven't tried it for anything under 40 yards for the reason above.

Good luck

Thanks. I tend to agree with you that issues 1 and 3 are likely normal and issue 2 is a software (app) problem. The unit itself does correctly show both carry and total if I toggle between the two settings. 

One other thing - The bluetooth range is also very small - like 15 or so feet. If I walk away with my phone in my pocket, the connection is dropped. Is that similar to your experience?

I guess I am particularly curious about whether my unit is functioning properly because I spilled a bit of water on it while charging and am concerned that the water may have caused damage. Though it seems from my research that when water affects electronics it makes the device simply stop working, it doesn't tend to degrade performance.

On 6/14/2021 at 10:54 AM, TheDuke365 said:

Thanks. I tend to agree with you that issues 1 and 3 are likely normal and issue 2 is a software (app) problem. The unit itself does correctly show both carry and total if I toggle between the two settings. 

One other thing - The bluetooth range is also very small - like 15 or so feet. If I walk away with my phone in my pocket, the connection is dropped. Is that similar to your experience?

I guess I am particularly curious about whether my unit is functioning properly because I spilled a bit of water on it while charging and am concerned that the water may have caused damage. Though it seems from my research that when water affects electronics it makes the device simply stop working, it doesn't tend to degrade performance.

I think 1 & 3 are pretty normal as well.  When practicing chipping and pitch shots, it can be tricky because I think it calculates distances.  If you are manipulating the club face, it changes the launch angle and throws things off.  Under 40 yards is probably pretty tough for it to do.  As far as the carry and total, I don't think there is anything you can do with that other than just use the app for both.  I only ever use carry, and that has worked really well for me.  I am also pretty diligent about deleting the shots that are bad.....like the shanks and giant slices and chunks.  When you delete those out, it makes the numbers much more accurate.

The bluetooth is like that on mine as well, but I am ok with it.  I really don't need more than 10 or 15 feet.  Plus, it does store the info for you to download later if you dont want to be using your phone or Ipad while you are hitting.  Ironically, I do feel like I practice better when I use my phone too because I have to reset between shots and I'm not just hammering balls.

• 11 months later...

Hi. I bought the swing caddie sc300 just this past january. I am very disappointed in it! Inside it reads distances consistently at the indoor simulator. Outside, it is terrible for me. It reads about on average 1 in 20 shots. I have it set correctly. I have it on the practice mode. I don't know if this is the wrong setting when hitting on the range outdoors. I have the monitor set about 6-8 feet directly behind the tee'd up golf ball on a level short grass surface. I am hoping someone can give me some pointers in what works for them when they have their sc300 set up. As it is I wish i would never have bought this device.  Hope someone can help me change my mind. Thanks.

Hi. I bought the swing caddie sc300 just this past january. I am very disappointed in it! Inside it reads distances consistently at the indoor simulator. Outside, it is terrible for me. It reads about on average 1 in 20 shots. I have it set correctly. I have it on the practice mode. I don't know if this is the wrong setting when hitting on the range outdoors. I have the monitor set about 6-8 feet directly behind the tee'd up golf ball on a level short grass surface. I am hoping someone can give me some pointers in what works for them when they have their sc300 set up. As it is I wish i would never have bought this device.  Hope someone can help me change my mind. Thanks.

3 hours ago, leon2399 said:

Swing Caddie recommends 5 ft behind the ball. Not 6-8.

Hi Jimmy! Went out to the range today and tried setting the monitor 5 ft behind the ball on a level grass surface and it only registered a swing reading about 1 out of every 20 shots on average. I have it set on practice mode for driver(W1). I dunno. I am almost ready to give up on this device. Strange cuz it works well indoors, but outside almost not at all. Unless the radar inside the device is dirty it is the only thing i can think of. I just don't know. Wish i would have bought that PGRN monitor instead of the swing caddy. I just want something that is reliable outside for reading distance on the range. Maybe i shud pull the device apart or atleast take it to someone who knows about the insides of these things. Any other pointers as to what i could do to make it work even at least 50% of my shots and i would be happy. Thanks.

It sounds like your unit might be defective if it's having that much trouble reading shots. Mine catches easily more than 95% of my shots outdoors. Not sure if it will help, but I bought a generic GPS carrying case for mine from amazon. It's probably about 2" thick and I always place my unit on the case behind the ball rather than on the grass or mat directly. Maybe those couple of extra inches of elevation help the radar pick up the ball?

On 6/19/2022 at 1:46 AM, leon2399 said:

Hi Jimmy! Went out to the range today and tried setting the monitor 5 ft behind the ball on a level grass surface and it only registered a swing reading about 1 out of every 20 shots on average. I have it set on practice mode for driver(W1). I dunno. I am almost ready to give up on this device. Strange cuz it works well indoors, but outside almost not at all. Unless the radar inside the device is dirty it is the only thing i can think of. I just don't know. Wish i would have bought that PGRN monitor instead of the swing caddy. I just want something that is reliable outside for reading distance on the range. Maybe i shud pull the device apart or atleast take it to someone who knows about the insides of these things. Any other pointers as to what i could do to make it work even at least 50% of my shots and i would be happy. Thanks.

Sorry, I never use it outside. I have an indoor range at my house where I use it along with my Garmin R10.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 10:49 PM, leon2399 said:

Well, now my swing caddie 300 died! Didn't even have it a year! Won't allow me to charge it and won't turn on anymore! I will never buy another swing caddie product from these guys ever again. Nothing, but problems right from the get go with this device!

Your whole experience sounds odd. I’ve had my SC300 for nearly 3 years, and it works just as well today as it did when I got it. I do keep mine in a generic Amazon case that was recommended for it. Generally I’m very satisfied with it’s accuracy, including spin.

It can be tricky to set up the alignment in the beginning but it’s second nature to me now. Advice for anyone else having issues:

-Something between 56-60 inches is ideal for placement outdoors. I use my alignment stick (4ft) and my foot (11in) and it captures nearly every ball.

-Align the ball with the middle of the unit. For whatever reason, I initially aligned the ball with the logo on the left side of the unit, which was spotty at best. Middle works much much better.

-Make sure the unit isn’t tilted too far back once the leg is out. Over the years my unit’s leg has gotten more flexible and resulted in too much back tilt.

-Driver shots, especially when using a higher tee, are measured better when the unit is placed on a slightly higher surface. For me, my tee height results in a ball whose equator is one or two dimples above the top of the head. Resting the unit on an old glove box helps ensure it’s level and raised just enough

Did you ever reach out to the parent company about your issues? Even if it can’t be fixed, the SC300 has a 1 year limited warranty.

I’ve had other electronics that have gone “dead” like you describe and have had success with various forms of hard reset; holding down power button for 30 seconds then plugging it in usually does the trick after a few tries. Another option usually overlooked is testing the cable or the adapter with other devices to ensure they’re working and leaving the device charging for 24 hours.