2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

How many majors would Gary Player win today? Who is a good comp?

Fairways_and_Greens

23 hours ago, tacklingdummy said:

Perhaps only Jack's game would hold up tour today because he was long, but I don't think he would be winning much because the talent is so deep today. The game has evolved so much to higher levels because of instruction, knowledge, access to knowledge, equipment, better/more specific fitness/strength, big tall athletes are drawn more to golf than before, much longer courses, etc, etc. 

So, I guess in 20 years or so, the next iteration of you would say, "No way Tiger would win as much in today's game..."

Everyone at the highest level has access to instruction, knowledge, equipment, fitness, etc., etc.

That's not what makes a Champion.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

17 minutes ago, mwkbmw said:

So, I guess in 20 years or so, the next iteration of you would say, "No way Tiger would win as much in today's game..."

Everyone at the highest level has access to instruction, knowledge, equipment, fitness, etc., etc.

That's not what makes a Champion.

It breeds stronger champions and better players by building on those before them. That is why the talent in pro golf is so strong and deep today. We would be still living in the stone age if it wasn't for humans improving, evolving, and passing knowledge down from great prior advancements in science, technology, and knowledge. Evolution. 

Pro players and college players games are on another level from 20 years ago. No comparison. 

On 6/24/2021 at 11:43 PM, tacklingdummy said:

It breeds stronger champions and better players by building on those before them. That is why the talent in pro golf is so strong and deep today. We would be still living in the stone age if it wasn't for humans improving, evolving, and passing knowledge down from great prior advancements in science, technology, and knowledge. Evolution. 

Pro players and college players games are on another level from 20 years ago. No comparison. 

So, you think if Jack or Tiger were born 20 years ago and had access to the same science, technology and knowledge as today's current crop of players that they would not dominate?

Which of today's players do you think would stop them? Wolff, with his mental issues? Morikawa, with his shaky putter? Xander or Finau, with their stellar records in closing the deal?

The heart and will of a Champion is something that can not be taught.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

14 hours ago, mwkbmw said:

So, you think if Jack or Tiger were born 20 years ago and had access to the same science, technology and knowledge as today's current crop of players that they would not dominate?

Which of today's players do you think would stop them? Wolff, with his mental issues? Morikawa, with his shaky putter? Xander or Finau, with their stellar records in closing the deal?

No, that is not what I am saying at all. I am saying that Jack's and Tiger's game in their exact state would not hold up as well in today's competition talent pool. The talent is way too deep today. If Jack and Tiger had access to today's knowledge, technology, and science and if they could compete today, is a totally different debate. 

The difference is Jack and Tiger dominated over their competition in their days. They had complete confidence they could dominate every week and that they were better than the competition. Today's competition is so deep that nobody is dominating, so there are more doubts about winning which can really hurt confidence. Confidence is extremely powerful in golf because mentally it can really improve your golf. If you lack confidence in your game, you can't perform as well. All the pros on the tours can play. The main difference that separates them is their mental games and confidence. 

Edited by tacklingdummy
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

IMO Tiger and Jack would still win a bunch in the modern game not only because they're long off the tee and can PUTT but because they have the heart and mind of a champion. 

2019 Masters is indicative of how a good Tiger "old, injured, out of his prime" Woods was and is above his peers.  And don't forget he almost won the 2018 PGA.  

It would be interesting to see how long Gary Player would be with modern equipment.  He certainly didn't seem like a long hitter in his day.   I don't think he would be long enough today. 

Edited by mosesgolf
  • Like 1

Ping G400 MAX 9 Kuro Kage Tini 60x

Titleist TSI2 18 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

Patrick reed minus 77 pounds but wins absolutely zero majors unless he plays from the ladies tee

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

On 6/26/2021 at 7:48 PM, tacklingdummy said:

No, that is not what I am saying at all. I am saying that Jack's and Tiger's game in their exact state would not hold up as well in today's competition talent pool. The talent is way too deep today. If Jack and Tiger had access to today's knowledge, technology, and science and if they could compete today, is a totally different debate. 

The difference is Jack and Tiger dominated over their competition in their days. They had complete confidence they could dominate every week and that they were better than the competition. Today's competition is so deep that nobody is dominating, so there are more doubts about winning which can really hurt confidence. Confidence is extremely powerful in golf because mentally it can really improve your golf. If you lack confidence in your game, you can't perform as well. All the pros on the tours can play. The main difference that separates them is their mental games and confidence. 

Tiger would still win today with 1997 equipment, he was that good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 12:47 AM, mwkbmw said:

I agree. I think the word “talent” also has a place in this discussion. Sometimes no matter how much desire and effort there is, excellence and success just isn’t attainable. I think there is an inherent talent some people have more so than others. Couple that talent with the necessary desire and effort and something special happens. I think GP is one of those rare people who had that level of talent.

• Like 1

Majors are freaking hard to win.  Rory, Brooks, and Jordan caught lightning in a bottle for a few years but in the grand scheme winning just one is quite the feat.  Which just makes Tigers 15 all the more astounding.  Phil first played the US Open since 1990 and still hasn't won one. Tiger has 3 and Jack has 4 of them.  JT hasn't sniffed a major win since his PGA and the young man could be considered a modern version of Gary Player minus the mouth. Brooks seems to be the only one right now capable of getting to 6 or more.  Ironically Brooks(2 recent 2nds) has been beat by the 2 greatest players of this generation in Tiger(2019 Masters) and Phil(2021 PGA).   Brooks also came in 2nd to Gary Woodland's US Open.  Brooks is the only guy right now regularly contending at majors. 

Edited by mosesgolf

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

On 6/26/2021 at 2:48 PM, tacklingdummy said:

Ya but Tiger did compete directly with the most recent talent pool.

He got to #5 in the world, beat the best 30, then beat them all at the Masters.

Oh, and he did it at 43 years old.

After a two year injury lay-off during which he could barely walk at times.

And after back fusion along with a decrepit knee and nowhere near his game in his prime.

TW 1.0 would destroyed this crew. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

And after back fusion along with a decrepit knee and nowhere near his game in his prime.

Yeah, but who wins TW 1.0 vs 2.0 vs 3.0 vs 4.0...

meme-spider-man.r_d.250-130.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/29/2021 at 11:45 AM, mosesgolf said:

IMO Tiger and Jack would still win a bunch in the modern game not only because they're long off the tee and can PUTT but because they have the heart and mind of a champion. 

2019 Masters is indicative of how a good Tiger "old, injured, out of his prime" Woods was and is above his peers.  And don't forget he almost won the 2018 PGA.  

It would be interesting to see how long Gary Player would be with modern equipment.  He certainly didn't seem like a long hitter in his day.   I don't think he would be long enough today. 

I followed Gary at the Canadien Open in 1975. Many of his drives were high 260 to 270. Jack out drove him nearly every hole by 10 or 12 yards. And most holes Weiskof out drove them both.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forged4ever said:

What has always amazed me in these discussions are the number of guys who will take a guy's game from a certain generation or era, say from the 1920's-1930's(The Haig) or the 1960-1970's(Gary), and literally drop him into say, this generation, circa 2000-2020, literally, from his swing to his shots to his game. They then say "no way that he'd be long enough to compete much less win today."

Seriously?????

I get that there is no way that someone who has never competed at the highest levels of a sport, ANY sport, as either an Amateur or a Professional, would have no earthly idea of what exactly it takes to prepare, compete and Win at the highest level, especially some guy who couldn't play it down and in for 18 holes if his family's life was on the line, so I guess that it should come as no surprise to me that they cannot see that it is not the size of the man, the length of his drives or the shape of his shots that made/makes him a Champion. Oh, and that "depth of field?" That only hinders the masses. The Champions?? They'll ALWAYS be amongst the guys at the top of the Leader board😉

It is the size of his heart, the depth of his internal drive to prepare compete and Win and the mental toughness to keep going when all other would have quit or believing that he would win when all others had accepted that they would not.

Forget physical size 

Forget how far a guy hit a ball in 1928, 1937, 1956, 1968 or 1975.

With today's technology, equipment, both golf and physical fitness wise, those Icons like Hagen, Player and many others would be big enough, long enough & more than good enough.

What they possessed, what Player possessed, and I personally can't stand the guy, however a Champion is a Champion,  and Gary Player was and would be a Champion, regardless of what I think of him or regardless of the era that you would drop him in, and what he possessed that is TIMELESS, is the DRIVE to do whatever it takes to be a Champion. 

As I've stated previously, the numbers might not be the same, though at the end of the day, or the end of an era, Player would still emerge as one of the ten Greatest Players of All-Time, regardless of the era. 

Nuff said...

On another subject...

@jmcf1949,  Tom Weiskopf hit THE most towering mid/long irons that I've ever seen and he was in his early 50's when I Played with him at our Club and he had just won the US Senior Open earlier that year(1995) and ironically, he finally bested Jack in a Major, lolol. I would put Norman at #2, with Jack at #3, though he was in his 60's when I Played with him, however we were walking up the fairway on our #5, a long 500-506yd uphill Par 4 from the blacks(Par 5 from Blues forward), both having hit our second shots, and I told Jack that Weiskopf had hit drive/5i to 25', as Jack went drive/4i to front right rough, 10-15 yards short of the green. 

What I didn't tell Jack is that to this day, it was THE most amazing long iron that I've ever seen hit, as it sounded like a shotgun blast, took off, and rose to a height that left me awestruck, though I'd learned long ago to show no emotion and I said simply, "nice ball."

Nicklaus, looking straight ahead as we walked with caddies behind us, responded to my Weiskopf comment with, "If I had Tom's swing, I'd have 10 more, easy, 10 more."

He didn't say "10 more Majors," he just said "10 more, easy, 10 more," giving me credit for knowing what 10 that he was speaking of, lolol.

Thats all that he said and I went left as I was on the left side of the green and he went right, to his ball in the right rough.

Yah, Weiskopf could really move it out there!!

The biggest mistake of his life was going to Ohio State. 

It takes a very very special person to follow a legend, and yah, even back then, Jack was a Legend in Ohio and in Columbus. 

Tom Weiskopf was not that person🤷🏻‍♂️

But d@mn could he strike a golf ball🤙

Stay well My Friend👊
RP

Well I love being put in my place and not feeling bad about it.  🤣

Great wise post as usual. 

• Like 1

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

8 hours ago, mosesgolf said:

Well I love being put in my place and not feeling bad about it.  🤣

Great wise post as usual. 

Bro, I didn't even read yours prior to posting mine😂🤪🤙👊

I freely admit that I'm biased with guys that I like and respect on the board and I'd never post or respond to "put them in their place," with you most definitely being one of those guys!!

I didn't read your post where you said something counter to mine and my post was definitely not a response to yours as I would not post such a response. I'd pass, as I've done many times in this thread with others.

First, apologies for my post, secondly, mine is just an opinion, and finally, I'm full of sh*t and just ignore me😝😜👊

Have a Great Week My Friend🍻

RP

Edited by Forged4ever

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

1 hour ago, widow-maker said:

If Weiskopf had the determination that Player had he'd have probably been a double digit Major winner, but his personality was more like a Dustin Johnson. 

Hey WM, how goes it👊

Actually, Weispkopf was rapped as tight as a drum, could not let a bad shot go, much less forget about it, and he was known for a wicked temper on the course, earning him the nickname "The Towering Inferno," lol.

Actually, if he had DJ's personality and mentality, I really believe that he'd have converted 3 of his 4 runner-ups at Augusta, he'd have won The 1975 PGA Championship,  where he fell to 3rd and he'd have also converted his runner-up in the 1976 US Open to a victory. That's 5 more Majors right there based just off of his having the 54 hole lead in each one of those and being able to just Play to his ability, hold the lead and take the Championships instead of imploding and then exploding in each one. Jack said that he should have had 10-12 Majors, and Nicklaus was not known for hyperbole or overstatement. Jack also said that Weiskopf was second most talented Player that he had ever competed against or Played with.

The most talented??

Yeppers, Eldrick Tont~ 

Even when we Played, and it was basically a sh*ts & giggles game, he misclubbed a couple of times as we have some elevated greens and the distance is deceiving, and he stood there, slammed his iron into the fairway and his face actually turned red on the one shot, and I was thinking "WTF??," lol. Now there are some bad outcomes on the course that I could see gettin pissed at, say, from a bad swing/stroke, however a misclub is just a mental error. You learn from it, file it and forget it. Not Tom, lol. He was talking to his caddie about the shot on the next tee😂😂. Oh, BTW, he missed a 5'er on the previous shot. 

You can't tell me that him gettin that wrapped up in that missed shot didn't cost him that putt!! This is just in a S&G game, lol. I couldn't imagine him 20-30 years prior, on Tour, lol.

Though he said that it took him until his 40's to get his temper and emotions "in check," from what I saw that day, the "Towering Inferno" was by no means dormant and his mentality was still costing him strokes, his beating Jack for the US Senior Open a few months prior not withstanding. 

Stay Well Brotha and I hope that you're having a great season👊

Agree 💯 on Gary Player and I don't even like the guy😂😂🤙

All the Best🍻

RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 2

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

On 7/12/2021 at 12:31 PM, Forged4ever said:

What has always amazed me in these discussions are the number of guys who will take a guy's game from a certain generation or era, say from the 1920's-1930's(The Haig) or the 1960-1970's(Gary), and literally drop him into say, this generation, circa 2000-2020, literally, from his swing to his shots to his game. They then say "no way that he'd be long enough to compete much less win today."

Seriously?????

I get that there is no way that someone who has never competed at the highest levels of a sport, ANY sport, as either an Amateur or a Professional, would have no earthly idea of what exactly it takes to prepare, compete and Win at the highest level, especially some guy who couldn't play it down and in for 18 holes if his family's life was on the line, so I guess that it should come as no surprise to me that they cannot see that it is not the size of the man, the length of his drives or the shape of his shots that made/makes him a Champion. Oh, and that "depth of field?" That only hinders the masses. The Champions?? They'll ALWAYS be amongst the guys at the top of the Leader board😉

It is the size of his heart, the depth of his internal drive to prepare compete and Win and the mental toughness to keep going when all other would have quit or believing that he would win when all others had accepted that they would not.

Forget physical size 

Forget how far a guy hit a ball in 1928, 1937, 1956, 1968 or 1975.

With today's technology, equipment, both golf and physical fitness wise, those Icons like Hagen, Player and many others would be big enough, long enough & more than good enough.

What they possessed, what Player possessed, and I personally can't stand the guy, however a Champion is a Champion,  and Gary Player was and would be a Champion, regardless of what I think of him or regardless of the era that you would drop him in, and what he possessed that is TIMELESS, is the DRIVE to do whatever it takes to be a Champion. 

As I've stated previously, the numbers might not be the same, though at the end of the day, or the end of an era, Player would still emerge as one of the ten Greatest Players of All-Time, regardless of the era. 

Nuff said...

On another subject...

@jmcf1949,  Tom Weiskopf hit THE most towering mid/long irons that I've ever seen and he was in his early 50's when I Played with him at our Club and he had just won the US Senior Open earlier that year(1995) and ironically, he finally bested Jack in a Major, lolol. I would put Norman at #2, with Jack at #3, though he was in his 60's when I Played with him, however we were walking up the fairway on our #5, a long 500-506yd uphill Par 4 from the blacks(Par 5 from Blues forward), both having hit our second shots, and I told Jack that Weiskopf had hit drive/5i to 25', as Jack went drive/4i to front right rough, 10-15 yards short of the green. 

What I didn't tell Jack is that to this day, it was THE most amazing long iron that I've ever seen hit, as it sounded like a shotgun blast, took off, and rose to a height that left me awestruck, though I'd learned long ago to show no emotion and I said simply, "nice ball."

Nicklaus, looking straight ahead as we walked with caddies behind us, responded to my Weiskopf comment with, "If I had Tom's swing, I'd have 10 more, easy, 10 more."

He didn't say "10 more Majors," he just said "10 more, easy, 10 more," giving me credit for knowing what 10 that he was speaking of, lolol.

Thats all that he said and I went left as I was on the left side of the green and he went right, to his ball.

Weiskopf could really move it out there!!

The biggest mistake of his life was going to Ohio State. 

It takes a very very special person to follow a legend, and yah, even back then, Jack was a Legend in Ohio and in Columbus. 

Tom Weiskopf was not that person🤷🏻‍♂️

But d@mn could he strike a golf ball🤙

Stay well My Friend👊
RP

This post needs pinning on the start of all such "How many majors would *random past great* get today?" threads.

Very well said.

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2021 at 9:30 AM, bscinstnct said:

You just proved my statement. Yes, Tiger can compete, but but he is not dominating like he was before. Not #1 for 683 weeks and winning everything. The talent is way too deep now because of all the access to teaching, knowledge, etc. The learning curve is much shorter than before. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, tacklingdummy said:

You just proved my statement. Yes, Tiger can compete, but but he is not dominating like he was before. Not #1 for 683 weeks and winning everything. The talent is way too deep now because of all the access to teaching, knowledge, etc. The learning curve is much shorter than before. 

So crippled 43 year old Tiger can rip through owgr of young guns and win the masters after a 2 year layoff with maybe his “B” game. 

But 21 year old TW in his prime doesn’t beat the total crap out of them?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

So crippled 43 year old Tiger can rip through owgr of young guns and win the masters after a 2 year layoff with maybe his “B” game. 

That 2019 Masters is as deep as it gets as far as depth.  Brooks was on top of his game. Molinari was one of the hottest players around plus you had all the top gun usual suspects and Tiger well out of his prime well short of his usual length off the tee win.  Imo up there with Jack's 1986.  

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

On 7/12/2021 at 6:04 PM, widow-maker said:

Personally, I agreed with everything you wrote.  If Justin Thomas, Oosthuizen, Schauffle, Morikawa, Horschel, Nieman can play on tour at their size, I'm pretty sure Gary Player would have figured out a way.  

One thing that hasn't changed in the last 75 years in golf is being able to get your ball into the hole in the fewest amount of strokes when the pressure is on.  Player wasn't always in the hunt, but when he was he didn't go backwards, he got better as the pressure mounted.  A lot of steel in his spine and he didn't give anything away when he was near the lead.   Jack didn't scare him.  Tiger wouldn't have scared him.  And I don't see anybody out there right now that would have scared him.  

If Weiskopf had the determination that Player had he'd have probably been a double digit Major winner, but his personality was more like a Dustin Johnson. 

If Tom was like DJ, he would have won about 6, you never see Johnson upset, Tom wishes he was like Dustin.  

25 minutes ago, tacklingdummy said:

There was a lot of parity and depth on the Tour through the mid 90's.  Multiple players were winning majors and that made it look like there was plenty of depth.  And then Tiger arrived and all of a sudden there was no more depth and parity on the Tour.  If Tiger were just turning 21 right now he'd dominate this Tour just like he did back then.  It's not the talent level that separate him, it's what's between the ears that goes along with a high level of talent.  

5 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Tiger did have more training as a young player than most of the pros he was competing against at the time. Had lots of coaches and sports psychologists training him at a very young age. Way ahead of the curve. Doubt you could name any other pros that had that kind of training at that young of an age. Now it is the norm for pro golfers. 

Tiger was playing golf basically as soon as he could walk. He was on Johnny Carson when he was 2 years old. Tiger was raised only to be a pro golfer. Tiger would absolutely be a force and #1, but not decimating fields like he was in today's environment. Many pro golfers today have followed that path because Tiger laid down the groundwork. 

• Like 1