2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

2021 US Open

MattyO1984

42 minutes ago, MattyO1984 said:

Better even that 1999? 2002? 2004? 2006? 2009? 2013? 

You'd have to ask Phil.  Point was that despite all the criticism of the venue on here Phil and at least Mac Hughes were very high on the setup.  We've got to get them on here so they can learn how wrong they are apparently.

• Like 2

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

37 minutes ago, imakaveli said:

I don't think Rory choked, because we all knew (him included) he was not gonna win, and not even try to, so guy met the expectations imho

As McEnroe used to say, you cannot be serious?!

The guy tried as hard as anyone, he just came  up short with a baulky putter and a bad break getting plugged at the back of a bunker at a key time. Rahm deserved winner and made things happen, but could all have turned out different if his tee ball on 9 was OB a bit like JT running out of gas after a double on 10. Both Rahm and JT hit worse shots than the one that cost Rory a double, that's the luck of the draw sometimes

23 minutes ago, Pleasedwith3putts said:

As McEnroe used to say, you cannot be serious?!

The guy tried as hard as anyone, he just came  up short with a baulky putter and a bad break getting plugged at the back of a bunker at a key time. Rahm deserved winner and made things happen, but could all have turned out different if his tee ball on 9 was OB a bit like JT running out of gas after a double on 10. Both Rahm and JT hit worse shots than the one that cost Rory a double, that's the luck of the draw sometimes

Yes.  And no.  

I wanted Rory to win. Proof of that is in my posts earlier in this thread. But.  At some point he has to do SOMETHING different With putter if he wants to claim that he’s actually trying to win. That spider x in no way fits his stroke.   It looks awkward on every single putt.  Go armlock , go blade , go lefty , just something to show your mind the opposite of insanity! 

• Like 4

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Rory hit some great long putts, but especially in a U.S. Open couldn't make the ones of medium to shorter length he needed, but he also didn't do himself any favors out of the fairway on some occasions yesterday.  He was close.  I agree, something has to happen with his putter, more needs to happen with his wedges - hopefully he has it sorted out by Open Championship time.

The course stood up well.  To those who suggest you put it out in the middle of wherever and it's just another course --- well, that doesn't make any sense.  The ocean, the turf, the subtleties of the greens because of . . . . . . it's design and location, the topography and on and on make it what it is just like any other golf course is a product of its location and particular design.  The rough was not the only defense in this U.S. Open - weather, shots that were demanded by the design, greens that fool the best players in the world -- Rahm's super intelligent play from the bunker on 18 was an incredible example of his golf acumen (and there were a couple of "boos", lol) -- Nicklaus would be proud of that one!

Fun watch Sunday!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Yes.  And no.  

I wanted Rory to win. Proof of that is in my posts earlier in this thread. But.  At some point he has to do SOMETHING different With putter if he wants to claim that he’s actually trying to win. That spider x in no way fits his stroke.   It looks awkward on every single putt.  Go armlock , go blade , go lefty , just something to show your mind the opposite of insanity! 

He's brought Faxon in so is trying something and has switched putters a few times but not cracked it yet. He would also have drawn some encouragement from how he putted at the Wells Fargo too and for all we know, he might putt great with it in practice. I'd like to see him give cross handed a better go, at some point they have to take another look at arm lock so I wouldn't look to anything that might get banned down the line. But not correct to say he has not tried to make changes.

Everyone thinks Bryson’s meltdown was so great but I think Koepkas was just as well deserved.

Rahms karma comments apply equally to those two. More to Bruce IMO

edit: I know Brooks wasn’t full on meltdown but by his Sunday major standards it certainly was pathetic

Edited by CCTxGolf

1 hour ago, the bishop said:

You'd have to ask Phil.  Point was that despite all the criticism of the venue on here Phil and at least Mac Hughes were very high on the setup.  We've got to get them on here so they can learn how wrong they are apparently.

I was simply being facetious.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

10 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

One thing that amazes me at all these Open’s is the very wide miss is always awesome in parched and trampled rough so 30 yards wide way better than 2 yards wide .. don’t know how to fix though

At Torrey last week this was most prevalent on 14 and 15.  I think they could fix that for the pro's by adding about 4 trees total on those two holes.  But it is a muni after all and all that would serve is to make a couple of difficult holes even harder for the general public.  But the winning score was -6, right in the US Open wheelhouse (maybe a stroke or two lower than they would have liked) and of the 70 players that made the cut only 12 finished under par, and half of those were at -1.  As long as scores stay in that realm probably not a problem that needs fixing - at Torrey anyway.

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

51 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Rory hit some great long putts, but especially in a U.S. Open couldn't make the ones of medium to shorter length he needed, but he also didn't do himself any favors out of the fairway on some occasions yesterday.  He was close.  I agree, something has to happen with his putter, more needs to happen with his wedges - hopefully he has it sorted out by Open Championship time.

The course stood up well.  To those who suggest you put it out in the middle of wherever and it's just another course --- well, that doesn't make any sense.  The ocean, the turf, the subtleties of the greens because of . . . . . . it's design and location, the topography and on and on make it what it is just like any other golf course is a product of its location and particular design.  The rough was not the only defense in this U.S. Open - weather, shots that were demanded by the design, greens that fool the best players in the world -- Rahm's super intelligent play from the bunker on 18 was an incredible example of his golf acumen (and there were a couple of "boos", lol) -- Nicklaus would be proud of that one!

Fun watch Sunday!

For a player of Rory’s stature, he choked big time.

He was at -4 after 10. 

Then, he hits the middle of the green on 11. Lags to like 3 feet….putt misses the hole. Completely.

Ok, he’s still at -3, still right there on 12. He drives it into the bunker but in a good lie. 200 yard to the green but the pin is right in the middle. Totally misses the green and puts it in the bunker, terrible leave, double.

So now he’s -1, but birdies 13, back to -2, then bogeys 16. 

Im thinking it’s a choke on the back 9 on Sunday at a major. Had he been in the lead, there would have been no question.

Rahm was grinding, bearing down, keeping his card clean (just one bogey) and scoring with clutch putts. 

Even Louis managed to shoot par. 

If we don’t say Rory choked then we have to say, dang, he’s just not an elite player anymore. 

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

For a player of Rory’s stature, he choked big time.

He was at -4 after 10. 

Then, he hits the middle of the green on 11. Lags to like 3 feet….putt misses the hole. Completely.

Ok, he’s still at -3, still right there on 12. He drives it into the bunker but in a good lie. 200 yard to the green but the pin is right in the middle. Totally misses the green and puts it in the bunker, terrible leave, double.

So now he’s -1, but birdies 13, back to -2, then bogeys 16. 

Im thinking it’s a choke on the back 9 on Sunday at a major. Had he been in the lead, there would have been no question.

Rahm was grinding, bearing down, keeping his card clean (just one bogey) and scoring with clutch putts. 

Even Louis managed to shoot par. 

If we don’t say Rory choked then we have to say, dang, he’s just not an elite player anymore. 

Louis big sins on the back 9 were the second shot on 13 - I mean how do you put that in the rough - and the tee ball on 17.  You could say the first putt on 16 but he bailed himself out with a clutch par putt.  The par miss on 17, well he'd actually been pretty solid all day to that point so you can forgive a guy one miss because the big killer on that hole was his tee ball.  He's an enigma.

• Like 1

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

My impression of Rory for some time has been that he is a frontrunner all the way. When he is on & in full flight, he can be breathtaking to watch. But he doesn't have much of the grinder in him; a bad shot or break when he's in contention & his body language completely changes. The year he & Reed were in the final group Sunday at the Masters, you could tell he was done when he missed the shortish eagle putt on #2.

I wish it were different because I really pull for him; Rory & my son were born on the same day, May 4 1989, so I'll pull for him if just for that reason. Plus he can be so much fun to watch. But after so many years I feel like I've seen this movie before. As Gus McRae said about Jake Spoon in Lonesome Dove, "...too leaky a vessel to put much hope in."

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Pleasedwith3putts said:

He's brought Faxon in so is trying something and has switched putters a few times but not cracked it yet. He would also have drawn some encouragement from how he putted at the Wells Fargo too and for all we know, he might putt great with it in practice. I'd like to see him give cross handed a better go, at some point they have to take another look at arm lock so I wouldn't look to anything that might get banned down the line. But not correct to say he has not tried to make changes.

I’m well versed in his bandaids.  Faxon isn’t a bad move.  But that was nearly a year ago. But he’s not forceful enough to tell Rory the truth.  

they truth is there’s nothing wrong with his stroke , it Looks good. he just needs to find a putter without an insert so he can “ feel “ the putt.  Last time he putted well was with Nike. Last time he putted lights out was with a stainless 009.  Id start there.  He can putt if he removes the blockage between hands and  brain.  

I don’t often advocate for equipment fixes.  But.  Sometimes they can be the blockage.  

• Like 4

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I’m well versed in his bandaids.  Faxon isn’t a bad move.  But that was nearly a year ago. But he’s not forceful enough to tell Rory the truth.  

they truth is there’s nothing wrong with his stroke , it Looks good. he just needs to find a putter without an insert so he can “ feel “ the putt.  Last time he putted well was with Nike. Last time he putted lights out was with a stainless 009.  Id start there.  He can putt if he removes the blockage between hands and  brain.  

I don’t often advocate for equipment fixes.  But.  Sometimes they can be the blockage.  

The current trend is with a mallet type putter like a TM Spider.  While this is a terrific putter and this style works for many, I believe it is not a cure all for all golfers.  Rory’s past performance with a blade, notedly with his 009, produced very reliable putting.  I would like to see Rory go back to that 009 and see what would happen.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

8 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I agree. When it gets time to "will in" putts the spider just doesn't work for him. Not that inserts don't work for everyone.

• Thanks 1

G425lst Ventus Blk 6x

Sim2 Ti 3w

TM Rescue 16

MP20 HMB 4/3

MP20 MB 5-P Modus 120x

T22 52.09S T22 56.14S T24 59.11V

Oworks 7s

Rory's problem is not putting.   I truly believe he focuses too much on his weaknesses.   His problem is "constructing his rounds" and "capitalizing on consistency."   All the greats build their rounds by stabilizing after a poor hole, and capitalizing on a well-played hole.  Rory's entire demeanor changes after a good hole.  It also changes after a poor hole.   He needs to build a new foundation, maybe with a pre-shot routine that stabilizes his thoughts and works from his strengths.  He has so much talent. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Yes.  And no.  

At this stage Rory may need to go to the long putter.  His short putting is about the worst I have ever seen for any top player.

Whatever he is doing to work on it isn't working. 

It's got to the point now when he has a 5ft putt that it's a surprise when it goes in. 

It's really unprofessional of him to have been working on trying to turn a 315 yard drive into 325 when his putting is so bad.  Wrong priorities - so I actually agree with you... he's not trying to win at all.

Edited by Jay28
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

Rory's problem is not putting.   I truly believe he focuses too much on his weaknesses.   His problem is "constructing his rounds" and "capitalizing on consistency."   All the greats build their rounds by stabilizing after a poor hole, and capitalizing on a well-played hole.  Rory's entire demeanor changes after a good hole.  It also changes after a poor hole.   He needs to build a new foundation, maybe with a pre-shot routine that stabilizes his thoughts and works from his strengths.  He has so much talent. 

Inside 10ft Rory is ranked 160th on tour.

He is 159th from 3-5ft

From 5ft he misses nearly 20% of his putts - outside the top 100.

He isn't going to win another major without improving his putting.

Edited by Jay28
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

He's abysmal inside 150 yards in nearly every facet of the game from the fairway and nearly the worst when he's in the rough. Can't construct much when you're airmailing greens, or coming up short, too often for someone to be competitive. Right now, he needs his A game to just compete. If he hits it inside 10ft, he can compete. When he doesn't, he fades away, guaranteed.

APPROACHES FROM > 275 YARDS 81' 11 67TH
APPROACHES FROM 250-275 YARDS 63' 2 86TH
APPROACHES FROM 225-250 YARDS 51' 3 50TH
APPROACHES FROM 200-225 YARDS 41' 7 79TH
APPROACHES FROM 50-75 YARDS 15' 9 111TH
APPROACHES FROM 75-100 YARDS 19' 8 166TH
APPROACHES FROM 100-125 YARDS 17' 2 10TH
APPROACHES FROM 50-125 YARDS 17' 8 51ST
APPROACHES FROM 125-150 YARDS 23' 6 104TH
APPROACHES FROM 150-175 YARDS 27' 4 77TH
APPROACHES FROM 175-200 YARDS 32' 1 32ND
APPROACHES FROM > 200 YARDS 51' 6 65TH
APPROACHES FROM 250-275 YARDS (RGH) 87' 11 140TH
APPROACHES FROM 225-250 YARDS (RGH) 65' 5 66TH
APPROACHES FROM 200-225 YARDS (RGH) 61' 0 64TH
APPROACHES FROM > 100 YARDS (RGH) 49' 9 137TH
APPROACHES FROM INSIDE 100 YARDS (RGH) 30' 9 180TH
APPROACHES FROM > 200 YARDS (RGH) 65' 11 32ND
APPROACHES FROM 175-200 YARDS (RGH) 59' 4 164TH
APPROACHES FROM 150-175 YARDS (RGH) 52' 11 203RD
APPROACHES FROM 125-150 YARDS (RGH) 37' 4 109TH
APPROACHES FROM 50-125 YARDS (RGH) 31' 11 170TH
APPROACHES FROM 100-125 YARDS (RGH) 33' 6 133RD
APPROACHES FROM 75-100 YARDS (RGH) 28' 3 141ST
APPROACHES FROM 50-75 YARDS (RGH) 32' 5 171ST

SCRAMBLING FROM > 30 YARDS 27.42% 116TH
SCRAMBLING FROM 20-30 YARDS 55.56% 53RD
SCRAMBLING FROM 10-20 YARDS 57.63% 182ND
SCRAMBLING FROM < 10 YARDS 79.25% 188TH

PUTTS PER ROUND 28.78 84TH
PUTTS PER ROUND - ROUND 1 29.13 137TH
PUTTS PER ROUND - ROUND 2 28.93 112TH
PUTTS PER ROUND - ROUND 3 28.17 54TH
PUTTS PER ROUND - ROUND 4 28.75 88TH
PUTTING FROM 3' 99.80% 40TH
PUTTING FROM 4' 88.12% 180TH
PUTTING FROM 5' 81.43% 109TH
PUTTING FROM 6' 63.83% 163RD
PUTTING FROM 7' 55.56% 162ND
PUTTING FROM 8' 60.00% 37TH
PUTTING FROM 9' 43.24% 136TH
PUTTING FROM 10' 41.38% 117TH
PUTTING FROM 4-8' 67.15% 122ND
PUTTING - INSIDE 10' 86.40% 160TH
PUTTING FROM - 10-15' 35.66% 25TH
PUTTING FROM - 15-20' 15.38% 159TH
PUTTING FROM - 20-25' 15.79% 49TH
PUTTING FROM - > 25' 6.67% 44TH
LONGEST PUTTS 55' 11 75TH
APPROACH PUTT PERFORMANCE 2' 5 131ST
AVERAGE DISTANCE OF PUTTS MADE 78' 4 24TH
BIRDIE OR BETTER CONVERSION PERCENTAGE 36.16% 4TH
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

He's abysmal inside 150 yards in nearly every facet of the game from the fairway and nearly the worst when he's in the rough. Can't construct much when you're airmailing greens, or coming up short, too often for someone to be competitive. Right now, he needs his A game to just compete. If he hits it inside 10ft, he can compete. When he doesn't, he fades away, guaranteed.

APPROACHES FROM > 275 YARDS 81' 11 67TH
APPROACHES FROM 250-275 YARDS 63' 2 86TH
APPROACHES FROM 225-250 YARDS 51' 3 50TH
APPROACHES FROM 200-225 YARDS 41' 7 79TH
APPROACHES FROM 50-75 YARDS 15' 9 111TH
APPROACHES FROM 75-100 YARDS 19' 8 166TH
APPROACHES FROM 100-125 YARDS 17' 2 10TH
APPROACHES FROM 50-125 YARDS 17' 8 51ST
APPROACHES FROM 125-150 YARDS 23' 6 104TH
APPROACHES FROM 150-175 YARDS 27' 4 77TH
APPROACHES FROM 175-200 YARDS 32' 1 32ND
APPROACHES FROM > 200 YARDS 51' 6 65TH
APPROACHES FROM 250-275 YARDS (RGH) 87' 11 140TH
APPROACHES FROM 225-250 YARDS (RGH) 65' 5 66TH
APPROACHES FROM 200-225 YARDS (RGH) 61' 0 64TH
APPROACHES FROM > 100 YARDS (RGH) 49' 9 137TH
APPROACHES FROM INSIDE 100 YARDS (RGH) 30' 9 180TH
APPROACHES FROM > 200 YARDS (RGH) 65' 11 32ND
APPROACHES FROM 175-200 YARDS (RGH) 59' 4 164TH
APPROACHES FROM 150-175 YARDS (RGH) 52' 11 203RD
APPROACHES FROM 125-150 YARDS (RGH) 37' 4 109TH
APPROACHES FROM 50-125 YARDS (RGH) 31' 11 170TH
APPROACHES FROM 100-125 YARDS (RGH) 33' 6 133RD
APPROACHES FROM 75-100 YARDS (RGH) 28' 3 141ST
APPROACHES FROM 50-75 YARDS (RGH) 32' 5 171ST

SCRAMBLING FROM > 30 YARDS 27.42% 116TH
SCRAMBLING FROM 20-30 YARDS 55.56% 53RD
SCRAMBLING FROM 10-20 YARDS 57.63% 182ND
SCRAMBLING FROM < 10 YARDS 79.25% 188TH

PUTTS PER ROUND 28.78 84TH
PUTTS PER ROUND - ROUND 1 29.13 137TH
PUTTS PER ROUND - ROUND 2 28.93 112TH
PUTTS PER ROUND - ROUND 3 28.17 54TH
PUTTS PER ROUND - ROUND 4 28.75 88TH
PUTTING FROM 3' 99.80% 40TH
PUTTING FROM 4' 88.12% 180TH
PUTTING FROM 5' 81.43% 109TH
PUTTING FROM 6' 63.83% 163RD
PUTTING FROM 7' 55.56% 162ND
PUTTING FROM 8' 60.00% 37TH
PUTTING FROM 9' 43.24% 136TH
PUTTING FROM 10' 41.38% 117TH
PUTTING FROM 4-8' 67.15% 122ND
PUTTING - INSIDE 10' 86.40% 160TH
PUTTING FROM - 10-15' 35.66% 25TH
PUTTING FROM - 15-20' 15.38% 159TH
PUTTING FROM - 20-25' 15.79% 49TH
PUTTING FROM - > 25' 6.67% 44TH
LONGEST PUTTS 55' 11 75TH
APPROACH PUTT PERFORMANCE 2' 5 131ST
AVERAGE DISTANCE OF PUTTS MADE 78' 4 24TH
BIRDIE OR BETTER CONVERSION PERCENTAGE 36.16% 4TH

Just looking at those short putting numbers - abysmal.

What ever possessed him to focus on how far he hits it?!!

• Like 1

NBC was atrocious. Too many commercials, atrocious commentary and terrible fluff segments. 

I know CBS  isn't perfect. But I think their camera work is way better and I'll take Faldo over Azinger any day of the week. I personally think ESPN does a better job then either CBS or NBC. I think on Friday it took NBC 10 minutes before coming on air to show a shot. 

As far as I'm concerned

ESPN>CBS>>>NBC/GOLF. 

58 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

The current trend is with a mallet type putter like a TM Spider.  While this is a terrific putter and this style works for many, I believe it is not a cure all for all golfers.  Rory’s past performance with a blade, notedly with his 009, produced very reliable putting.  I would like to see Rory go back to that 009 and see what would happen.   

That’s all I’m saying.  I personally cannot putt with one. I’ve tried and tried. Why ? The perceived benefits.  I’m good on long putts and trash up close.  No confidence at all.  Yet I’m averaging 28 per round currently with an anser shape.  Why ?  I think it’s combo of sound , lack of sight lines , and toe hang. Mine is nearly toe down.  That’s hard to find in a putter today.  

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock