2021 US Open

MattyO1984

1 minute ago, Obee said:

That's one way to look at it, for sure. I can tell you that for me, my putting improved tremendously when I started looking at putting as a completely separate game. Once I get to the putting green, it's like I'm playing checkers, where hitting approach shots is chess. The analogy isn't even that important, it's just that I felt like that distinction that walking up to the putting green means entering a new "playing arena" with different concepts and rules, etc. has really helped me become the best putter I can be.

I always felt going on vacation was like a par-4 hole in golf.  

DRIVE - you make the trip to the destination area. 

APPROACH - you enter the hotel, house or condo.

READ THE GREENS - you walk around and acclimate.

PUTT - you step back and feel good about your choice.

Poor putting is like renting a beach house and arriving to find the pool to be green and bathrooms dirty.   

It makes the journey less memorable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Obee said:

That's one way to look at it, for sure. I can tell you that for me, my putting improved tremendously when I started looking at putting as a completely separate game. Once I get to the putting green, it's like I'm playing checkers, where hitting approach shots is chess. The analogy isn't even that important, it's just that I felt like that distinction that walking up to the putting green means entering a new "playing arena" with different concepts and rules, etc. has really helped me become the best putter I can be.

Is it possible it isn't the viewpoint (either seems valid) but that he's just going to be streaky and that's it?  You were able to train yourself to be really good, others apparently can, but is it possible some just can't?  I have to believe he devotes a lot of time to practicing his putting and in what I assume are productive ways.  Confounding.

10 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Is it possible it isn't the viewpoint (either seems valid) but that he's just going to be streaky and that's it?  You were able to train yourself to be really good, others apparently can, but is it possible some just can't?  I have to believe he devotes a lot of time to practicing his putting and in what I assume are productive ways.  Confounding.

I am pre-disposed to think that mindset is huge because for so long I resisted that it was important. The biggest thing for me was letting go of needing to look normal when putting. Rory is a very "conventional" putter. I honestly think he would greatly benefit by trying some things that are borderline outrageous in practice, find one that seems to work better, then take it to the course.

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

On 6/14/2021 at 11:28 AM, outonthelinks said:

Great to see Jon Rahm has been cleared to compete this week after returning two negative Covid-19 tests. He's a bit of master around Torrey Pines & this is the perfect course for him to break into the major winners circle. Hope he has great week after his agony at The Memorial. 

Really happy to see Jon lift the trophy yesterday. His self-belief to stay focused through that Covid situation was impressive and would have rocked a lesser man. 

I could see him going back to back in the majors by winning The Open Championship at Royal St George's next month.

• Like 1

WITB

default_titelist-small.jpg 

TSR3 10 DR
TSi2 15 FW

TSi3 18 HY
U.500 (3 & 4)
620 MB (5-PW)
Vokey Spin Milled 54 & 60
Scotty Cameron Tour Rat Concept 1

30 minutes ago, Obee said:

I am pre-disposed to think that mindset is huge because for so long I resisted that it was important. The biggest thing for me was letting go of needing to look normal when putting. Rory is a very "conventional" putter. I honestly think he would greatly benefit by trying some things that are borderline outrageous in practice, find one that seems to work better, then take it to the course.

Seems like putting for some is a fickle thing that really does not apply across the board when it comes to changes.  Xander switches to arm lock and seemingly misses a lot of putts he made before, Morikawa switches putters and over the course of 4 days got better and better.  Maybe @Hawkeye77 is right, it's just streaky for some.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

Seems like putting for some is a fickle thing that really does not apply across the board when it comes to changes.  Xander switches to arm lock and seemingly misses a lot of putts he made before, Morikawa switches putters and over the course of 4 days got better and better.  Maybe @Hawkeye77 is right, it's just streaky for some.

By its very nature, putting is streaky, of course. 🙂

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

1 hour ago, imakaveli said:

Rory has become a golden journeyman

McIlroy has won nearly professional 30 tournaments, the most recent of which was last month.  

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

2 hours ago, UncleJohn’sBand said:

Watching the golf with my dad yesterday he made a decent observation on Rory's putting (as well as DJ, Colin, Wolff to an extent) is that none of these Taylormade players seem to be terribly consistent or even good putters and they all use a Taylormade putter. He wondered if maybe it could be the equipment. Morikawa seemed to be a really decent putter with the longneck Betti. 

I think back to the 009/006 run Rory had and the Dave Stockton method of putting and remember it being quite successful. I also remember the 2016 East Lake tournament with the Scotty mallet coming from the Odyssey Works 3 prototype he was using and his move to the TP line of putters with the move to Taylormade in 2017. Perhaps it actually is the equipment. 

My feeling is that any player who contends in majors and is a consistent winner, a high ranked player, like Rory, is already a very good putter. We get the impression they are poor putters because we see them on TV and see that the winners that day make putts while the losers don't. 

We don't get the luxury of comparing someone like Rory with the guy who missed the cut, however.

All that said...I _do_ believe it's significant when a guy is in the hunt often but seems to miss putts he needs on the last day. And it does seem to be this way with Rory. There are probably final round stats available on strokes gained, and it wouldn't surprise me if Rory putts poorly on Sundays. 

In any event...I don't think it's technique or equipment. I think it is something mental. It's choking, to a degree. 

And only a player can get themselves out of this. All the advice and psychology and so forth in the world won't fix it. The player has to find a way to prepare themselves such that they have belief and confidence about these putts. The guys who doubt are lost. 

• Like 1

Regarding Rory’s putting.. Isn’t it funny, every player can relate to it, and in fact compete with pros on the greens, on any given 18 holes. I can’t hit it 350, and I can’t hit a 4 iron 120 ft high, but I can have a round with 25 putts, 9 puts on the back nine. Pros do that too. The putting stroke is the simplest thing in golf. Chipping and pitching, and especially the consistency of doing it well, creates a pro/non-pro gap. But there it is, a lot of good to decent golfers can relate to Rory on the dance floor. 

He just hasn’t deserved to win any of these majors since 2014. Not at all. It’s not just his putting. His game seems to increase in strength with every inch he is away from the hole. He’s not a top notch Tour chipper to pitcher of the ball, and he still makes mistakes with full irons and tee shots. He isn’t good enough to win a major over the past 8 years. Maybe he’ll improve. But what he’s got right now probably isn’t good enough. 

• Like 1

Thank god for Rham......the rest of the field SUCKED once again down the stretch......Rory missing 3 footers, DeChambeua skulling chips into the crowd...Morikawa hitting a wedge from 50 yards way over the green.....it was a disaster saved by two big putts from Rham.....

If Rory could putt AT ALL, he would lready have 6 majors...its his achilles heel.......you can see him stand over the 3 footers with zero confidence

Edited by tsecor
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Agree. Choke is what Louis did on the tee of 17 all the way to the layup on 18.  And I love the guy.  But you’ve got 8 miles right on 17.  Play for par knowing birdie will come on 18.    But once in a do or die situation I don’t know how you don’t try to hit 3 or 7 wood from the rough to try to tie.  Maybe $ came into mind ? If so I guess , but I just assumed he wasn’t hand to mouth.  Not that I’m judging that. I’m just saying I’d understand it if it were true.  

rory didn’t collapse.  He just faded away.  

Because he did the quick math and probably knew that he had a much greater chance of chipping in than actually getting it over the water there.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, woodriff said:

What does everyone think Bryson will take from his back 9 ? Will he learn anything? 

Probs what he takes from most things, amongst his perfect swings and contact this tragedy was done to him and he was the victim.  

Edited by bubbagump

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

30 minutes ago, woodriff said:

What does everyone think Bryson will take from his back 9 ? Will he learn anything? 

He'll be working feverishly to calculate how he can increase his own coefficient of pretence's function against the root mean square of Nienaber's greater ball speed divided by the impact upon his bragging rights.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

41 minutes ago, woodriff said:

Bryson is a complete tool.....he dismissed the choke by saying "its golf".......the man shot 44 on the back 9 and LOST the tournament with his horrible play.....and dismisses it when pressed......this guy will never learn anything. He is so arrogant, he probably thinks the published angle of all the greens were incorrect rather than he just flat out sucked. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chigolfer1 said:

Because he did the quick math and probably knew that he had a much greater chance of chipping in than actually getting it over the water there.

If the lie was that bad , I guess.  But that’s a big if.  Was from 246 out.  

I don’t think the odds would show that holing  out from 65 is more likely than 3 wood flying 246 , unless the lie is so bad that you can’t get a club on it.  On TV at least you could see plenty of ball.    Put it this way.  If It’s Rahm or Phil , they aren’t laying up.  Sometimes I think some players are too conservative for their own good.  My opinion 

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

28 minutes ago, tsecor said:

Thank god for Rham......the rest of the field SUCKED once again down the stretch......Rory missing 3 footers, DeChambeua skulling chips into the crowd...Morikawa hitting a wedge from 50 yards way over the green.....it was a disaster saved by two big putts from Rham.....

Amen 

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

If the lie was that bad , I guess.  But that’s a big if.  Was from 246 out.  

I don’t think the odds would show that holing  out from 65 is more likely than 3 wood flying 246 , unless the lie is so bad that you can’t get a club on it.  On TV at least you could see plenty of ball.    Put it this way.  If It’s Rahm or Phil , they aren’t laying up.  Sometimes I think some players are too conservative for their own good.  My opinion 

i agree that was a horrible decission.....he seemed to make great contact with the layup shot.....even if he went for it, the outcome would probably have been the same...but you have to go for it....that was a complete cop out.......you are trying to win the US OPEN.....he was like Dave Sims at that moment

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tsecor said:

Bryson is a complete tool.....he dismissed the choke by saying "its golf".......the man shot 44 on the back 9 and LOST the tournament with his horrible play.....and dismisses it when pressed......this guy will never learn anything. He is so arrogant, he probably thinks the published angle of all the greens were incorrect rather than he just flat out sucked. 

Yes, the guy who held the trophy last fall "will never learn anything".

It IS golf.  Everyone has bad rounds, bad parts of rounds, bad stretches of play.  Dustin Johnson won the Travelers last year, then went 80/80 at the Memorial, followed that up with a WD after shooting a 78 the next week, then proceeded to go T12, T2, 1, 2, and 1 his final 5 events of the year to win the FedEx Cup.  All in the span of 7 weeks.

Bryson was +4 after 21 holes and was the leader with 9 to play.  Outside of Rahm's back 9 on Sunday, Bryson's stretch from the start of his second round until his final 9 was probably the best of the tournament by anyone....he went 30 holes without a bogey on a US Open course.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, chillybilly said:

Yes, it’s a US Open and yes, they are bumpy poa annua greens but the putts were sliding by holes constantly.  Oosthuizen and Rahm making a few in the late going didn’t seem to compensate for all the field’s misses over four days.

What does this mean? Sounds like you're saying that the field are bad putters, basically? Not the poa, not the open pressure, so they are just technically not good? 

3 hours ago, nsxguy said:

Don't think so.

But with the pin up front ? Of course it's in play - if they want to have a reasonable chance at eagle. If not, no.

So, as long as the hole is cut near the pond and the player is attempting to hit the green in two shots the pond has a purpose.  Otherwise (hole cut in back portion of green and/or player has layed up) the pond is not in play.

22 minutes ago, tsecor said:

I think by saying "it's just golf," he meant that sometimes, no matter how hard you try, how good you are, how well you prepare, sometimes you just suck. 

• Like 1