2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2021 US Open

MattyO1984

25 minutes ago, Fairways_and_Greens said:

Bah, such weak gatekeeping logic. So if you haven't held office, you can't comment on politics? If you haven't been a greenskeeper you can comment on course conditions or pin locations. If you haven't designed and manufactured clubs you can't comment on the performance?

I've done all the things in that tweet, so can I comment safely? Please tell me wise gatekeeper.

Agree. I’ve been an assistant super on a course. ( in my uncle Rico days ).  But I don’t feel like my comment held more weight than the guy who has never raked a bunker or changed a cup. 

• Haha 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

17 minutes ago, Par Be A Joke said:

Well according to Jim's Twitter account he is a world class shuffle board player...  So you cannot comment on that...🤣

Shortgrass Farms

@ShortgrassFarms

We can help you grow good grass, anywhere!

Jim Wallace, President and Chief Mowing Officer

Golf Course Superintendent & World Class Shuffleboard Player

And I love "greasing a dozer" made it. Not finding investors and buying land, not designing drainage and watering, not *running* a dozer... looks like its a list of his job description.🤣

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

Oh man. Faldo is on Peacock right now. I don't know if he's going to be able to make it all day without a nap. His sideburns should be noticeably longer by the time the final group putts out.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

22 minutes ago, Par Be A Joke said:

Well according to Jim's Twitter account he is a world class shuffle board player...  So you cannot comment on that...🤣

Shortgrass Farms

@ShortgrassFarms

We can help you grow good grass, anywhere!

Jim Wallace, President and Chief Mowing Officer

Golf Course Superintendent & World Class Shuffleboard Player

Being a world class shuffle board player is a thing? That's what I love about this place, I learn something new every day.

59 minutes ago, gvogel said:

Nice of Rees Jones to post on WRX.

LMFAO nah I ain’t RJ. But to me there’s nothing worse than a “woke golf course architect” if that’s your schtick good for you I couldn’t care less. I see the posts here oh this place sucks there’s no verticality this place is so much better down the road or whatever. Great you’re so much better informed on golf course design. I’m still probably going to be beat you (+3.5 index) I play better courses (played Seminole, Jupiter Hills, and Bears Club this past spring on a trip got an Augusta trip scheduled this winter) and never ever once have I ever thought while walking down any of those fairways hmmm this guy has no idea what he designed move the fairway here or bunker here. In my time as a superintendent I got to meet many of the most loved/hated designers. I went thru renovations and made suggestions that I thought were great ideas as a player AND greens keeper. Each and every time I was told no and here’s why and the designers took me thru it step by step why it wasn’t a good idea to increase the landing area or add a chipping area etc. These designers/shapers are savants incredible how well they can visualize and conceptualize something in there head and then make it happen. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Showtime9 said:

You can also watch it on Peacock!

Isn’t that a subscription? 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

18 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Will do for sure.  I’ve watched a million rounds on that course .... probably seen the 08 open in full 10 times.  And I can name #1 and #18.  And I’m not sure I can name #1 if it’s a blind test from the tee box view.  Just one of my least favorite  us open venues.  Pebble is x10 better. 

https://golf.com/travel/torrey-pines-rerouting-even-better/?utm_campaign=forecast&utm_source=golf.com&utm_medium=email&utm_content={date(&user_email=b312748ff3d87f9fc4fb336f7746be17ed20d58e8cb52ac75ea801af83313832&utm_term=GOLFcom Top Stories Newsletter

That guy thinks the routing needs work.  I think a routing change would help but Torrey still suffers from bland architecture.  Props for the setting though.

Ranked 77 out of 100 courses you can play by GOLF.  Ouch.  Not exactly a shining example for a major championship.

• Thanks 1

You know, there are positives to the delay.  To wit, those in the eastern time zone did not see play until approximately 11:15 am.  That means those who are playing the drinking game that is to take one every time there is mention of 2008 and Woods will not be drunk before noon.  Over/under is 12:30.  Which is about now. 

9 minutes ago, BNGL said:

LMFAO nah I ain’t RJ. But to me there’s nothing worse than a “woke golf course architect” if that’s your schtick good for you I couldn’t care less. I see the posts here oh this place sucks there’s no verticality this place is so much better down the road or whatever. Great you’re so much better informed on golf course design. I’m still probably going to be beat you (+3.5 index) I play better courses (played Seminole, Jupiter Hills, and Bears Club this past spring on a trip got an Augusta trip scheduled this winter) and never ever once have I ever thought while walking down any of those fairways hmmm this guy has no idea what he designed move the fairway here or bunker here. In my time as a superintendent I got to meet many of the most loved/hated designers. I went thru renovations and made suggestions that I thought were great ideas as a player AND greens keeper. Each and every time I was told no and here’s why and the designers took me thru it step by step why it wasn’t a good idea to increase the landing area or add a chipping area etc. These designers/shapers are savants incredible how well they can visualize and conceptualize something in there head and then make it happen. 

Careful BNGL.  I don't disagree with your point, but you're really approaching pepper territory in trying to make it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fairways_and_Greens said:

Bah, such weak gatekeeping logic. So if you haven't held office, you can't comment on politics? If you haven't been a greenskeeper you can comment on course conditions or pin locations. If you haven't designed and manufactured clubs you can't comment on the performance?

I've done all the things in that tweet, so can I comment safely? Please tell me wise gatekeeper.

I loved that tweet because it’s insane how many Course designers are on this site. Everyone has opinions and people (unfortunately) have the ability to share them with everyone else. I worked with and met some of the best designers in the world…Arnold Palmer and his crew, Nicklaus and his crew, Fazio and his crew, Norman, Beau Welling, Jan Bel Jan, Bobby Weed. As I said I worked hand in hand with a few for renovations and I made suggestions as a well informed player (washed up professional, All American college player) and superintendent about something’s that I thought were good ideas. Enlarge a landing area, expand some chipping areas, slide a bunker over etc. each time I was told no because of 10 things that I never thought of. These designers aren’t idiots this is their job they have the experience the crew and the direction of ownership/membership/Tour of what to design and how to do it. Someone sitting at home who’s never walked the fairways or played a caliber of golf anywhere near approaching Tour standards isn’t the best informed opinion. Now if Tour players were saying hey this place sucks then yeah go for it. I do know players don’t care for it from a facilities standpoint (locker rooms and practice range SUCKS!) and some (most?) prefer the North course but players are largely ambivalent towards the South course.

3 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

Careful BNGL.  I don't disagree with your point, but you're really approaching pepper territory in trying to make it.

TBH it’s an online forum that doesn’t matter. I know my legacy in the game is cemented with a US Open and multiple PGA Tour Invitationals. Unless you read me writing “this is opinion or a shot in the dark” a lot/majority of the stuff I post is based on what I know from working with the Tour, talking to Tour players, trying to play myself, or maintaining multiple elite and championship caliber golf courses. People are free to post and think what they want but there’s times where people are telling you how it is. 

I assume with you pepper reference you mean @pepperturbo? He’s not the best…we’ve been back and forth on golf course conditions in a thread. What do I know though he’s on the board at two “mid level regional golf courses” (his actual quote). I only played a role in hosting a US Open, and 7 PGA Tour Invitationals, then worked a playground for billionaires and past presidents. And also have an undergrad and 25 years experience of growing grass. But yeah he’s a board member… I’m going to take a backseat 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BNGL said:

I agree with you and don’t find this course memorable all at the same time. 

Don’t take this as a challenge or argument. Because it’s not. I don’t currently have the energy.  

I grew up around the building of the game. My grandfather ( who raised me so may as well be dad ) worked shaping tees and greens and growing grass on them behind the architect Russel Breeden. As a early teen I tagged along during the summer and watched / rode the big dozers and pans moving earth.  I heard first hand the discussions on why this was this way etc. and I have the grade blueprints to prove it for over 35 courses.  The hand drawings by the architect on huge paper that showed the operators what to do.

said all that to say.  These men and women weren’t taught how to do that.  They just saw it.  As you said. That plus experience in messing up and having to change things.  If that so , then it’s not unreasonable to think that people not connected to the build or maintenance of a course could have a good eye for things.  Doesn’t make them correct. But it doesn’t automatically make their opinions worthless.  

again.  That’s not me trying to one up you.  I’m clearly less knowledgeable as all my experience is 15 plus years old now. And wasn’t equal to begin with.   I grew up on a course every day from age. 12 to 18. But when I got out I got all the way out.   And I never played while I was in the first time.  So it was strictly from a build and maintenance point of view.  And we both know that players and maintenance guys don’t always or even usually see eye to eye.  I had a super once who used to say that the worst thing about a golf course was the golfers. 😂but they also were needed to pay to keep up the course.  

anyway. I just don’t think it’s bad to discuss it. If they’re wrong tell them why.  And that’s that. 

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

13 minutes ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

No, not for this, but it's now on Golf Channel anyway.

Thanks for that. I don’t know why it went away on the app. But o got it on golf Chanel.  So that’s even better.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 minute ago, bladehunter said:

I agree with you and don’t find this course memorable all at the same time. 

Don’t take this as a challenge or argument. Because it’s not. I don’t currently have the energy.  

I grew up around the building of the game. My grandfather ( who raised me so may as well be dad ) worked shaping tees and greens and growing grass on them behind the architect Russel Breeden. As a early teen I tagged along during the summer and watched / rode the big dozers and pans moving earth.  I heard first hand the discussions on why this was this way etc. and I have the grade blueprints to prove it for over 35 courses.  The hand drawings by the architect on huge paper that showed the operators what to do.

said all that to say.  These men and women weren’t taught how to do that.  They just saw it.  As you said. That plus experience in messing up and having to change things.  If that so , then it’s not unreasonable to think that people not connected to the build or maintenance of a course could have a good eye for things.  Doesn’t make them correct. But it doesn’t automatically make their opinions worthless.  

again.  That’s not me trying to one up you.  I’m clearly less knowledgeable as all my experience is 15 plus years old now. And wasn’t equal to begin with.   I grew up on a course every day from age. 12 to 18. But when I got out I got all the way out.   And I never played while I was in the first time.  So it was strictly from a build and maintenance point of view.  And we both know that players and maintenance guys don’t always or even usually see eye to eye.  I had a super once who used to say that the worst thing about a golf course was the golfers. 😂but they also were needed to pay to keep up the course.  

anyway. I just don’t think it’s bad to discuss it. If they’re wrong tell them why.  And that’s that. 

Golfers are the worst haha. Most every super worth his salt shares that same opine. No challenge at all, wanna know why? You’re reasonable and back up your claims with what you believe and say so in a clear concise intelligible manner. That’s something I respect we’ve gone back and forth for sure And while we might not agree I can respect what you say because you back it up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1