Most Popular Iron Shaft on Tour - True Temper X100?

Here are the top ten OWGR iron shafts in play (according to my amateur research):

Dustin Johnson - DG X100

Justin Thomas - DG X100

John Rahm - PX 6.5

Collin Morikawa - DG X100

Bryson DeChambeau - REBAR

Xander Schauffele - DG X100

Patrick Cantlay - DG 120 X100

Patrick Reed - DG X100

Tyrrel Hatton - Modus3 Tour 120 X 

Brooks Koepka - DG X100

How is a 40+ year old shaft (according to my research) is still dominating this category?

Also, there is a 20 yard driving distance discrepancy between Morikawa and Johnson yet they still play the same iron shaft, aside from some possible stepping differences.

Is this shaft just that good or are players averse to change?

• Like 1
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few reasons to explain...   1) Shaft weight is the number one priority for most players, and DG's are heavy which suits most strong players.   2) The bend profile and feel of DG

Yes.      And the fact is that the vast majority of the "advancements" is shaft technology have targeted decreasing weight w/o sacrificing strength or stiffness.    Not something the vast ma

Agreed with @Nessism and @Stuart_G. There is far less to be gained with steel when it comes to technology, and since irons are all about feel and precision, pros will tend to stick with what works.  

they are actually older than that, true temper dynamic was made in 1942, the 'gold' version came later and is just more precise weight sorting (s200, s300, s400 etc)

the fact that it has been around that long, most players have played it all of their lives and why change something that has worked so well and they like the feel of

the more important aspect is that all these pros are playing the heaviest irons shafts (130g) .  there are not many options in that weight category (PX, Dynamic gold and a couple nippons).  

• Like 1

tsi3  10* diamana bf 80x 

ts2 16.5* ad di 9x

ts2 21* nippon 950fw

t-mb 4, mizuno mp-64 5-pw dynamic gold

sm6 50f, 54s, 60k dynamic gold

directed force 2.1t

6 hours ago, 420burner said:

How is a 40+ year old shaft (according to my research) is still dominating this category?

Also, there is a 20 yard driving distance discrepancy between Morikawa and Johnson yet they still play the same iron shaft, aside from some possible stepping differences.

Is this shaft just that good or are players averse to change?

A few reasons to explain...

1) Shaft weight is the number one priority for most players, and DG's are heavy which suits most strong players.

2) The bend profile and feel of DG is excellent and once a pro gets used to a certain feel and flight they are not likely to change much.

3) Shafts shouldn't be fit based on distance, thus players like Morikawa and Johnson can use the same shaft  without issue.

4) (maybe the most important) Other than weight and feel, shafts don't matter for most players, so 2) applies.

Edited by Nessism
  • Like 4

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

I agree with friend [i]Nessism[/i]'s take. 

The Dynamic Gold isn't far from the shafts that Byron Nelson's generation used when everyone was figuring out the modern golf swing that didn't rely on timing the whip of a wooden shaft. Something around the 130g range with a stepped design that results in the DG-type stiffness profile is basically a shaft that doesn't have any shortcomings for the majority of really strong players. 

For the Rest Of Us, fortunately the industry has proliferated shaft varieties that let us accommodate all of OUR shortcomings. Lighter, more flexible, different feel, different tip firmness (for the very few golfers who need that) and basically a different shaft for almost every swing. Which is great. But to a very great degree, any iron shaft that would have worked for Nelson or Hogan or Nicklaus works very well for Dustin Johnson's generation.

1 hour ago, Nessism said:

1) Shaft weight is the number one priority for most players, and DG's are heavy which suits most strong players.

Yes.   

And the fact is that the vast majority of the "advancements" is shaft technology have targeted decreasing weight w/o sacrificing strength or stiffness.    Not something the vast majority of Male Tour pros need in their irons (except maybe the champions tour).

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One could easily argue that DG shafts are perfectly fine for many regular golfers. This was and is a very typical shaft for many clubsets and I'd guess that it's still the most popular shaft for clubsets targeting intermediate and above level players. (Anybody have data to confirm or debunk this guess?)

The fact that regular golfers have played this shaft for decades proves that it's suited for the task. Are other offerings more optimized for certain subsets of golfers? Of course. But at what level of measurable difference?

I am also very interested in this and why (with all the options on the market) most guys still use them. As others have said, and based on my research, its comes down to 1) They ARE incredible shafts, 2) Feel, 3) Pros don't like to change. 

From personal experience, I played C-tapers 120 the past few years and while I had success with them there was just something they lacked feel wise. After switching to X100 recently, I can definitely see why they are the most popular shaft on tour. Even at 130 g and the X stiff, they are easier to hit than my old C-tapers. 

Agreed with @Nessism and @Stuart_G. There is far less to be gained with steel when it comes to technology, and since irons are all about feel and precision, pros will tend to stick with what works.  

• Like 2

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX || Taylormade SIM 9* Diamana X'17 70X
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* HZRDUS T1100 95g
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 19* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

I was a much better ice hockey player than I will ever be a golfer.  When I was 13, I got a state-of-the-art Christian Brothers aluminum hockey stick for Xmas.  I ended up getting a 2nd of that exact model and used them through college (with extensions put in the butt end).  Despite getting crap from teammates about my ancient technology, I used them because nothing I tried was better for me.  When your mind is used to a certain weight and bend profile, new isn't necessarily better.  However, nowadays, there are highly-advanced (and expensive) composite hockey sticks where you would be a fool to play old-school aluminum (or wood). 

I wonder if we will get there in golf with things like the MMT shafts.  If people start winning in bunches with them, kids will probably start using them sooner, and eventually could make them the new normal.  I doubt we will see pros switch en masse if they played X100s most of their lives.

Driver: PING G410 Plus, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6S
3W: Titleist D917 13.5 @ 15, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7S
5W: Titleist D917 18 @ 18.75, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8S
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 21 @ 22, Diamana D+ 100 Hybrid
Irons: PING i210 (5-U), Nippon Modus 120S
Wedges: PING Glide (54 SS, 58 WS), PING CFS Wedge
Putter: PING Sigma 2 Arna
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Does anyone know if any Tour players on any of the Tours are playing the TT Elevate X100?  I have a set coming and I have played DG X100 for a long time.  I see Cantlay plays the DG 120, I just have wondered if I have made a mistake going with the Elevate?  I didn't hit them and never have but didn't want to pay the upcharge of $39 per with PXG since I can just swap a set of my DG X100's out if necessary.

PXG Gen4 0811 X Ventus Blue Velocore 6X
Srixon ZX 15* Ventus Blue Velocore7 X
Callaway Super Hybrid 20* Tensei Orange X

PXB Gen 3 0311P Elevate Tour X100
Ping Glide 3.0 56* & 60* S400 Half Moon Grind
LAB Blad B2 / Scotty Studio Stainless Newport/Evnroll ER8 Midlock
ProV1X

25 minutes ago, Hstead said:

Does anyone know if any Tour players on any of the Tours are playing the TT Elevate X100?  I have a set coming and I have played DG X100 for a long time.  I see Cantlay plays the DG 120, I just have wondered if I have made a mistake going with the Elevate?  I didn't hit them and never have but didn't want to pay the upcharge of $39 per with PXG since I can just swap a set of my DG X100's out if necessary.

Tour players want the stiffest tip they can get . They generally don’t have problems flighting the ball. 

57 minutes ago, Poolparty said:

It was love at first feel for me. I often wonder why they don't try to improve on it

They have tried to improve on it.  Many times.  

The popularity and results speak for themselves....and with many of the younger generation playing them, the reasoning of "that's really all they knew" is not likely why they choose them.  These guys grew up with all kinds of other shaft choices

3 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

They have tried to improve on it.  Many times.  

The popularity and results speak for themselves....and with many of the younger generation playing them, the reasoning of "that's really all they knew" is not likely why they choose them.  These guys grew up with all kinds of other shaft choices

Dynamic gold 2?

1 hour ago, Hstead said:

https://www.golfwrx.com/652127/davis-love-iii-witb-2021-april/

Edited by kooch1221
13 hours ago, Nessism said:

A few reasons to explain...

2) The bend profile and feel of DG is excellent and once a pro gets used to a certain feel and flight they are not likely to change much.

3) Shafts shouldn't be fit based on distance, thus players like Morikawa and Johnson can use the same shaft  without issue.

4) (maybe the most important) Other than weight and feel, shafts don't matter for most players, so 2) applies.

Understand what players want from their driver and irons are different but why does the weight progression (irons to driver) keep getting larger (i.e. lighter and lighter driver shafts)?  At one point in time, all shafts were 130 grams.  Then there was probably some "standard" of having a driver shaft that was 30-40 grams lighter.  Now, there are a lot of (younger) pros playing 60 gram driver shafts.

I know they are trying to hit the driver farther and the clubhead has changed over time so nothing is apples-to-apples.  Also, perhaps the graphite shafts have become lighter and lighter while remaining stronger/stiffer? 

But if so, the issue before was never really a "weight progression" as it was sometimes described.  Instead, the players couldn't use anything lighter without it feeling like a noodle (i.e. flex/feel not weight was the key).

I only ask because I see this as a derivative of my "44.5 inch driver" question.  I.e. old players that have swung heavier driver shafts 10,000 times cannot adjust to the lighter shafts (or they give up after 20-30 swings) vs. it can't be done with practice.  But give a young player a lighter longer driver and if that's all they've ever swung they will hit it just fine.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, 420burner said:

Here are the top ten OWGR iron shafts in play (according to my amateur research):

Dustin Johnson - DG X100

Collin Morikawa - DG X100

Not that it is crazy or matters, but DJ X100 is ss1 and Morikawa X100 straight in (at least according to WITBs).

2 minutes ago, Poolparty said:

Not many ways. I don't see myself playing anything else, but I think they could give the wedge shaft another try. At least that would stop TM soft stepping every x100 order

Can't comment myself on that - but is that really a problem with the shaft - or a problem with TM's practices?    It wouldn't be the first time they've used very questionable practices in their factory.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

Can't comment myself on that - but is that really a problem with the shaft - or a problem with TM's practices?    It wouldn't be the first time they've used very questionable practices in their factory.

Yeah idk but I think anyway the tech can be less confusing would be an improvement. It would also be helpful for hard stepping

On 6/14/2021 at 10:19 PM, agolf1 said:

Understand what players want from their driver and irons are different but why does the weight progression (irons to driver) keep getting larger (i.e. lighter and lighter driver shafts)?  At one point in time, all shafts were 130 grams.  Then there was probably some "standard" of having a driver shaft that was 30-40 grams lighter.  Now, there are a lot of (younger) pros playing 60 gram driver shafts.

I know they are trying to hit the driver farther and the clubhead has changed over time so nothing is apples-to-apples.  Also, perhaps the graphite shafts have become lighter and lighter while remaining stronger/stiffer? 

But if so, the issue before was never really a "weight progression" as it was sometimes described.  Instead, the players couldn't use anything lighter without it feeling like a noodle (i.e. flex/feel not weight was the key).

I only ask because I see this as a derivative of my "44.5 inch driver" question.  I.e. old players that have swung heavier driver shafts 10,000 times cannot adjust to the lighter shafts (or they give up after 20-30 swings) vs. it can't be done with practice.  But give a young player a lighter longer driver and if that's all they've ever swung they will hit it just fine.

I think your third paragraph is exactly right.  The key is that now they can make a 60 gram shaft that is just as predictable and stout as the DG X100 (relatively). 

I remember hearing them mention this specifically on TXG when talking about the reason that so many Pros were and still are playing the Ventus velocore shafts. Ian said that many golfers were able to go down in weight while retaining the stoutness of a higher weight, thereby increasing club and ball speed without sacrificing consistency. 

Regarding the overall topic, I think we're in the last years of the X100 dominating the entire tour, and it's because the new generations will not have grown up on DG X100 exclusively. It's also easier now for pros to make equipment changes than before due to launch monitor feedback and tour van fitting technology. Pro's can trust changes much faster than watching ball flights on the range. Ancer has graphite shafts (in Miuras no less).

I think KBS will continue to rise (it's already in lots of bags), then Nippon will continue to grow. Then, brands like LA Golf will make a Cobra-like push.

D : PING G400 Max - Tensei Pro Orange 70

4W: Titleist TS2 - Matrix Ozik 8m2  

3H: PING G25 - TFC 189H [replacing with 7-wood]

4H: PING G410 - Tour AD-95

5i: Srixon z585 - Modus 105

5i-PW: Srixon z545/z745 - Modus 125

49.07*: Vokey SM7-F (Slate Blue) - Modus 125

54*: Vokey SM7-S (Raw) - DG X100

59*: Vokey SM4-S (Red Saw & Raw) - Modus 125w

P: Sik Sho (Plumber's Neck) 

On 6/16/2021 at 4:30 AM, NHenson815 said:

I have a "boardy" graphite shaft in a Miura 1-iron and it hurts just as much as a miss with steel, so even the pain can be there if you want it, lol.  

Years ago at a local 2nd Swing location, they'd acquired a driver that had a Graphite Design D03 shaft in XX.  The D03 played a flex stiffer than most other shafts.  I got a chance to take a few swings with it.

I'd never before, and never since, felt beat up swinging a golf club like I did with that driver.  

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X -or- King LTD, NV ProtoPype 80 X, 43.25" 

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58*; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Kirkland Signature v3.2

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips