AFTERMARKET PUTTER SHAFTS

Belltower

Stroke Lab is a stock offering for Odyssey/Toulon putters not aftermarket and the KBS CT shaft is becoming the stock offering for most brands and small companies. 

With that said I got a KBS on my most recent putter and really enjoying it. I still want to try the Accra, Fujikura and BGT Stability Shaft. I think the LAGP is way too expensive. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

9 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Stroke Lab is a stock offering for Odyssey/Toulon putters not aftermarket and the KBS CT shaft is becoming the stock offering for most brands and small companies. 

With that said I got a KBS on my most recent putter and really enjoying it. I still want to try the Accra, Fujikura and BGT Stability Shaft. I think the LAGP is way too expensive. 

Sorry, i guess i should be more clear. "Not your grandaddy's putter shaft." lol meaning anything other than a piece of steel that connects the grip to the head. And yeah totally agree. I will need a VERY convincing argument to spend $420 on a putter shaft. 

• Like 1

Well, the stroke lab didn't really work for me.  It never "felt" good to me.  If I ever go back to the Odyssey putter, I'll get it without a Stroke Lab.

I played a Nike Origin B2-01 from when they were released until about a month ago and put in a UST Frequency Filtered putter shaft and really loved it.  I  don't really know how to describe it, but I felt more "connected" to the putter head.  

I'm playing the Bettinardi SS17 now and I really think I want to replace the stock shaft with the Frequency Filtered.

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

36 minutes ago, CactusGolf said:

Well, the stroke lab didn't really work for me.  It never "felt" good to me.  If I ever go back to the Odyssey putter, I'll get it without a Stroke Lab.

I played a Nike Origin B2-01 from when they were released until about a month ago and put in a UST Frequency Filtered putter shaft and really loved it.  I  don't really know how to describe it, but I felt more "connected" to the putter head.  

I'm playing the Bettinardi SS17 now and I really think I want to replace the stock shaft with the Frequency Filtered.

I believe UST stopped making those so stock up if you enjoy them. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

1 minute ago, MattM97 said:

I believe UST stopped making those so stock up if you enjoy them. 

Ah, that's too bad.  Didn't realize that!

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

I have four stability tours in my personal putters, a 5th on the way and I’ve installed another 6 stabilities in friends/family’s putters after they use one of mine.  I was fit on quintic and Sam lab and the shaft shined on the quintic.  Ball had ideal performance and roll after I swapped over to the stability shaft.   I’ve said it before and I’ll say it now… stability’s don’t make poor putters better but they will make a good putter hole more putts.   I’ve had a LA shaft as well during the quintic and it was no difference performance wise over the stability for my stroke.   Just hit the wallet heavier.   I have had the KBS shafts as stock options and they’re a good budget choice.   The KBS one steps are interesting but all my hosels are .355 bore so I’ve got to wait and try one of those in the future when that diameter is made available. 

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

13 hours ago, Phabs said:

I have four stability tours in my personal putters, a 5th on the way and I’ve installed another 6 stabilities in friends/family’s putters after they use one of mine.  I was fit on quintic and Sam lab and the shaft shined on the quintic.  Ball had ideal performance and roll after I swapped over to the stability shaft.   I’ve said it before and I’ll say it now… stability’s don’t make poor putters better but they will make a good putter hole more putts.   I’ve had a LA shaft as well during the quintic and it was no difference performance wise over the stability for my stroke.   Just hit the wallet heavier.   I have had the KBS shafts as stock options and they’re a good budget choice.   The KBS one steps are interesting but all my hostels are .355 bore so I’ve got to wait and try one of those in the future when that diameter is made available. 

Strong review - curious, are you feeling anything different with the stabilities?  Or is it primarily about the more consistent roll off the face?

TM M1 9.5* Kuro Kage XT70 X
TM M2 Deep 16.7* Kuro Kage XT80 X
PXG 0317 19* Kuro Kage 80HY TX
Mizuno MP64 4-PW C-Taper S
Vokey SM5 50-55-60 C-Taper S
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

22 hours ago, Belltower said:

What is y'all's experience with aftermarket/upgraded putter shafts? Stroke Lab, LAGP, KBS etc. Do you get any tangible benefit?

Ive tried a lot of them. I cant say for a fact they help but I feel like they do and they look cool. Spend your money how you want

I think LAGP is the best one out. Certainly the most expensive but to me it feels like a heavy normal steel shaft. Super stable and feels great

Stability tour I was not a fan of. Just felt very different to me then a regular putter shaft. Not what I was going for. Maybe if I played around with the head weight of my putter it could have worked out. Ditched it quickly

If you dont want to spend a lot cant beat KBS CT Tour. Solid feel and looks good 

1 hour ago, Lepatrique said:

Strong review - curious, are you feeling anything different with the stabilities?  Or is it primarily about the more consistent roll off the face?

The feel is different with the stabilities but I’m so used to it now that it’s my new normal.  I like the feel but the performance is what sold me. 

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

I am hopeful the KBS One Step can live up to the marketing.  To get something that is competitive with the Stability Tour at 70% cheaper is very enticing, even more so coming from an entrenched market participant such as KBS.

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

On 6/14/2021 at 10:18 AM, Belltower said:

What is y'all's experience with aftermarket/upgraded putter shafts? Stroke Lab, LAGP, KBS etc. Do you get any tangible benefit?

I have the KBS CT tour in my putter (in a slick pearl white color to boot!).

I like it.  Noticeably stiffer and more stable.  Further, it was like 40 bucks instead of 300 or whatever that stability tour one is.

Would recommend.

• Like 1

We need to all chip in to have someone test the KBS CT, One Step, Diamana, Fujikura, Stability, Stability Tour, LaGolf and generic steel shafts in the same putter head on a SAM lab.  I will volunteer to be that unlucky soul ... trying to be a team player here

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stetson said:

We need to all chip in to have someone test the KBS CT, One Step, Diamana, Fujikura, Stability, Stability Tour, LaGolf and generic steel shafts in the same putter head on a SAM lab.  I will volunteer to be that unlucky soul ... trying to be a team player here

Gonna need a Quintic for all that. I should bug TXG and can volunteer as tester for videos. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Just now, MattM97 said:

Gonna need a Quintic for all that. I should bug TXG and can volunteer as tester for videos. 

Sounds we have ourselves a plan ... now just wait for the donations to roll in

From my experience it depends a lot on your stroke, grip, etc.  

I've tried the Nippon shafts which can be made much heavier.  I've tried the Stability shaft and that was a disaster.  I have a conventional reverse overlap grip with a good amount of the grip in the fingers and a pretty standard type of stroke.  What I found was that heavy shafts and stiff in the handle section shafts are no bueno for me.  So I go with either the True Temper or Apollo stepped shafts which are a little softer and slightly lighter than your standard.  I have the Apollo stepped shaft in my current gamer as that is a couple of grams lighter than the True Temper stepped shaft (IIRC).

The LAGP shaft is about as stiff as you're going to find.  The Stroke Lab and Stability shafts are very stiff as well.  I think 'stability' is a bit overrated in terms of putters and can work against you.

Having talked to some putting instructors and fitters about the stability type of shafts, they have told me that they think those shafts work best with high MOI putters or the armlock style.  

RH

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BostonWRX said:

Seems like every week on tour more and more guys are trying out the LAGP shaft. Just noticed Fleetwood is using a white one. I think Sergio is trying one out too 

Just LA finding an in with taylormade is all.  

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

1 hour ago, RichieHunt said:

From my experience it depends a lot on your stroke, grip, etc.  

I've tried the Nippon shafts which can be made much heavier.  I've tried the Stability shaft and that was a disaster.  I have a conventional reverse overlap grip with a good amount of the grip in the fingers and a pretty standard type of stroke.  What I found was that heavy shafts and stiff in the handle section shafts are no bueno for me.  So I go with either the True Temper or Apollo stepped shafts which are a little softer and slightly lighter than your standard.  I have the Apollo stepped shaft in my current gamer as that is a couple of grams lighter than the True Temper stepped shaft (IIRC).

The LAGP shaft is about as stiff as you're going to find.  The Stroke Lab and Stability shafts are very stiff as well.  I think 'stability' is a bit overrated in terms of putters and can work against you.

Having talked to some putting instructors and fitters about the stability type of shafts, they have told me that they think those shafts work best with high MOI putters or the armlock style.  

RH

Absolutely on them working for people in a case by case basis.  I was fitted by a good friend I played college golf with and he echoed the statement.   I have the stability’s in nothing but plumbers necks under 355g’s and a blade head at 340.  They made a difference in ball performance on quintic immediately.  The la shaft did as well but not a huge difference to justify double the price of what I can get a stability for.  But that’s just my stroke, tempo and swing path, no one else’s.  

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

great feedback you two

so if you could get the stability tour for a sub $100 price point would you play it in all your putters or is it really best suited for a niche?

8 minutes ago, Stetson said:

great feedback you two

so if you could get the stability tour for a sub $100 price point would you play it in all your putters or is it really best suited for a niche?

You’re asking the wrong guy 🤣.  I’ve paid well north of 100 per shaft and I already have them in every putter I own with the exception of my Cameron studio design flow neck because I hated what the stability shaft did to the feel of that head in particular.  I went back to a black 382 flare tip in that and it feels perfect again.   That was also the putter I’ve rolled for 15 years in many tournaments and know the feel extremely well so I’m way more sensitive with that head than any other I own. 

Edited by Phabs

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

1 hour ago, Belltower said:

100000%. You got one? They're listed for $299 right?

oh no, but the KBS competitor is $75 which is the reference I was making. 

This little beauty just showed up today and it feels great. Have only rolled it s few times on my mat inside but will be playing with it Sunday. My other putter is a Squareback 2 with a Stability shaft in it. 

As far as the aftermarket shafts vs stock steel shafts, what I’ve noticed is that in the high moi blade type heads you don’t really notice the shaft performance as much, unless it changes the feel of the head itself. I had a PXG One and Done and didn’t care for the feel with the steel shaft, threw in a Stability and the feel changed drastically for the better. I didn’t notice a huge difference in actual performance though. Fast forward to the Squareback, I enjoyed the feel with the steel just fine but it did get a little wobbly on off center strikes. Put a Stability in that and can definitely notice the difference in performance vs the steel shaft. 

049420B7-3FAB-4E0D-B6AA-1EF9F01579E8.jpeg

FB18F2C3-1381-4D94-B44C-ECD11A5C85CE.jpeg

Edited by MPAndreassi
  • Like 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

22 minutes ago, Belltower said:

Is that the KBS one step?

Yes.  I am unsure if it has the same intent from a design perspective but to the laymen it will be the low cost, name brand alterntive

Playing the Fuji MC putter x-stiff in a Bettinardi BB8W and it’s excellent. Feels very solid and connected, yet not super stiff with the rubber they have included in the mix. Compared to the Stability the Fuji is as stable, but more of a subtle feel. Does not feel like steel or rebar graphite. Definitely worth checking out if you can find one to demo. I came across this one by chance. Pricey at $250 but not as high as others competing in the same space. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches