2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

First move in transition Eureka!

I am a 20 handicapper who recently got serious about the game.  On slow mo video in transition  I would pull the handle hard which would cause me to lose the wrist angles and cast.  Then, because I was casting, my swing would bottom out too early and I would shorten my lead arm radius-chicken wing to drag the club head through the impact zone.  Very ugly swing on slo mo.  

My last range session I  was experiment trying to hold the wrist angles and delay the hit impulse/ cast.  On one swing my sole swing thought was to tighten my core and at the moment of transition fire my belly towards the target FIRST before the hands and arms.   I checked the video and to my surprise my P5,P6, and P7 positions were now textbook!

By firing my belly towards the target, almost like how you would in a baseball swing after you complete your stride, it had the affect of delaying the release and i could feel the clubhead behind me.

Just thought I'd share this swing thought for casters/ chicken wingers.   You tighten the core at address and then the first move in transition you twitch your belly towards the target as fast as your can  

Edited by Jbarretta
proof read

You're on the right track. The club is swinging in a circle on an inclined plane around the base of the neck, C7. The belly button area is the center of gravity or COM, center of mass depending on what you want to call it. 

You want the COM ahead of the C7 or you'll come over the top or have some hip stalling going on. 

Austin_COG_Flare_Trace.GIF

Edited by Zitlow
  • Like 1

Thanks for this.   The red dot in this video clearly shows the belly ahead of the hands and arms.   For me in order to fire my belly I need to tighten my core at address and hold it tight in the backswing.   Firing the belly is a much better feel/ swing thought for me then bumping the hips, shifting to the front foot or adding side bend in transition. 

actual first move in transition   body centers shift right a small amount and then starting from p3 begin to shift to the left so that by p5 they have both moved around 3-4 inches forward from setup - some rotation during this but from p5 onward rotation dominates.   Firing any part of the lower body lead to getting stuck, dropping trail side, extending early, moving low point back, shifting path right, and inconsistencies, ie blocks and hooks, fats and thins.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CP0hPLnN7dl/

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

33 minutes ago, Jbarretta said:

Thanks for this.   The red dot in this video clearly shows the belly ahead of the hands and arms.   For me in order to fire my belly I need to tighten my core at address and hold it tight in the backswing.   Firing the belly is a much better feel/ swing thought for me then bumping the hips, shifting to the front foot or adding side bend in transition. 

The video is a good visual to show the C7 and COM setting up the Holding Force that is resisting the Escape Force in Austin's golf swing. 

You have plenty of time to take the Red Pill. For now keep doing what you're doing but don't hold any angles in the downswing. The idea is to get a running start at the ball and that won't happen if you're holding anything back. 

2 minutes ago, Jbarretta said:

What is the best transition video you have all seen on youtube that helped you?  I saw some Jim Waldron threads talking about focusing on the belly in transition. 

Here is what happens to COM and pressure - red dot is COM and center arrow between feet is COP with arrows on each leg being pressure in leg - want to create as large a moment arm between COM and COP in transition as possible - COM moves little in backswing and translates forward in downswing as body moves laterally - the COP moves rapidly forward in transtion so that it leads the COM - think of pushing a door to close - can get it moving easier and faster by pushing on door knob (a large moment arm)  versus close to the hinges

and here are folks doing it in transition 

https://www.instagram.com/toddcasabella/

hogan with a good explanation  https://www.instagram.com/p/B_SXD4MFBJ7/

tiger   https://www.instagram.com/p/B_WFsP2FW_q/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMYSkXMFGdh/

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

• Like 1

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

@Jbarretta You've stumbled onto a motion that incorporates a a key component which is keeping the COM ahead of the Swing Circle Center. The club is swinging in a circle around the base of the neck, C7.

The golf swing when done correctly is a beautiful powerful athletic motion. Don't fall into the trap as so many do on here of thinking of the swing as a series of mechanical positions. 

4 hours ago, glk said:

Ok after watching the AMG video I have a huge question.  I struggle with fat shots even on perfect shots pick it clean off the turf.

I have never been able to understand how to move the low point forward without a massive slide

According to this video it seems that the low point is moved forward in the backswing by going from back/spine flexion to extension at the top and leaning /drifting toward the target which moves the center of mass slightly ahead of where it was address.  Then when you go into the downswing and right side bend you are already forward of where you were at address.

If this is correct it could be very big for the ball striking.  Even though I'm a 20 handicap I hit a nice ball but at least 3 or 4 fat shots per round 

Edited by Jbarretta

50 minutes ago, Jbarretta said:

Ok after watching the AMG video I have a huge question.  I struggle with fat shots even on perfect shots pick it clean off the turf.

I have never been able to understand how to move the low point forward without a massive slide

According to this video it seems that the low point is moved forward in the backswing by going from back/spine flexion to extension at the top and leaning /drifting toward the target which moves the center of mass slightly ahead of where it was address.  Then when you go into the downswing and right side bend you are already forward of where you were at address.

If this is correct it could be very big for the ball striking.  Even though I'm a 20 handicap I hit a nice ball but at least 3 or 4 fat shots per round 

bit more to it than what you write but yes the transition shift happens between p3 and p5 and gets the sternum and center of pelvis in front of the ball.   Still need to manage the shaft and clubface as well as delay arms extending and have good tilts but yep getting ahead of the ball in transition is important.    

amg has tons of videos like this showing how pretty much all tour pro past and present do or have done this movement.

should add this requires the hip to turn on a tilted angle - lead lower than trail with trail going up and toward target.   

Rory rear view. https://www.instagram.com/p/BfvvLIlnakK/

Lots of pros.  https://www.instagram.com/p/CC3rE-VlbWD/

Drill with wall.   https://www.instagram.com/p/CMFW-xPFdLf/

Lesson involving drills and a few other thing.   https://www.instagram.com/p/CDow8ZhD-pD/

Edited by glk
  • Like 1

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified