2021 Meijer LPGA Classic (Jun 17 - 20)

Race to the CME Globe: 500 Points

Format: 72 Holes

Purse: $2,300,000

Par: 72

Yardage: 6638 yds

History: This is the 7th year for the event. In 2019, Brooke Henderson won for the 2nd time in three years to claim her 9th LPGA victory.

Coverage:

June 17: The Golf Channel 10:30 am - 12:30 pm (EDT)

June 17: NBCSports App 12:30 pm - 1:30 pm (Stream EDT)

June 18: The Golf Channel 9:30 pm - 11:30 am (EDT)

June 17: NBCSports App 12:30 pm - 1:30 pm (Stream EDT)

June 19: The Golf Channel 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm (EDT)

June 20: CBS 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm (EDT)

spacer.png

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Decent field, but a number of top players are sitting out the week before the KPMG (e.g. Sei Young).

Weak coverage again. Only two hours on Sunday with tee times moved up?

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

25 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Decent field, but a number of top players are sitting out the week before the KPMG (e.g. Sei Young).

Even though this is one of the biggest purse regular event; It's not a surprise that past KPMG champions like Sei Young and Danielle skipping this week for Atlanta next week.

But why would So Yeon Ryu and Hyo Joo Kim skip it?  Is it because the only chance for So Yeon to qualify for Tokyo is to win KPMG and for Hyo Joo to finish worse than solo fifth?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, 18majors said:

But why would So Yeon Ryu and Hyo Joo Kim skip it?  Is it because the only chance for So Yeon to qualify for Tokyo is to win KPMG and for Hyo Joo to finish worse than solo fifth?

RYU also played Las Vegas so this would be 5 weeks in a row.  She is not "old" but not "young" either.  Even a few years ago she said can't play as much as used to.  The Olympics were always a long shot for her.  She won in Korea last year but the math is going to be tough when you haven't won on LPGA since 2018.  That being said, if she wins in Atlanta I would say there's a better than 50/50 chance she will make it (obviously a much lower than 50/50 chance she makes it overall).

The other question is whether Jessica Korda can remain in the Top 15 (or if someone else will pass her and be in the Top 15) so that the Americans also send four.

• Like 2

Unfortunate timing for sure, but I guess some event has to be in the week-before-major slot.  I would have expected even fewer of the top Koreans in the field, totally understandable that they'd play the Mediheal then skip this week in order to not play too many weeks in a row.  Instead, we do get JYK, Inbee, Lucky6, SHP, In Gee, Lydia, IK Kim and A Lim Kim among others.

Looking forward to seeing the course renovations.  Having both played Blythefield and attended the tournament, it really is a nice facility.  Not overly difficult for the pros, we'll see if it plays any tougher.   Kinda doubt it.

Going to have to ponder over picks this week, obviously my strategy of picking crooked drivers with balky putters is not working.

3 minutes ago, Stooch said:

With NBC having the US Open rights, we're actually lucky this one isn't being tape delayed and aired at 2 AM 😂

Never thought I'd say this, but I wish there were more coverage on Peacock.  2 hours is pretty sad.  If that's all that's available I'd like to see the LPGA retain some media rights and stream additional coverage.  Even if it's done on the cheap with lower quality equipment, volunteers, etc.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, agolf1 said:

RYU also played Las Vegas so this would be 5 weeks in a row.

So Yeon needs to try all she can to win KPMG as long as there is a mathematical chance of winning it and Olympics.  One could argue that both So Yeon and Hyo Joo played Las Vegas because they planed to take this week off.

2 hours ago, agolf1 said:

The other question is whether Jessica Korda can remain in the Top 15 (or if someone else will pass her and be in the Top 15) so that the Americans also send four.

Jessica is certainly in a precarious position that Hannah Green, Minjee Lee and So Yeon Ryu could dislodge her from inside Top-15.  Additionally, Ally Ewing could kick her out of #4 American by good showings this and next week.

However, Americans are honored to represent their country and play the Olympics, but that's all.  Unlike other countries, it's more than honor when a player medals at the Olympics.

Inbee Park, who's won seven Majors, credited Olympics Gold as her best career achievement.  Justin Rose, who also won gold in Rio, has never said that.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Stooch said:

Seems Brittany is having some Visa issues and Brooke will have a new Caddie this week, Evertte Nini.  Now I don't now whether I want to see a different set f eyes help Brooke read putts or have herread everything herself this week.

That's unfortunate.

Brooke and Brittany won here two out the last three times; that's hard to replace.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Jessica is certainly in a precarious position that Hannah Green, Minjee Lee and So Yeon Ryu could dislodge her from inside Top-15.  Additionally, Ally Ewing could kick her out of #4 American by good showings this and next week.

However, Americans are honored to represent their country and play the Olympics, but that's all.  Unlike other countries, it's more than honor when a player medals at the Olympics.

Inbee Park, who's won seven Majors, credited Olympics Gold as her best career achievement.  Justin Rose, who also won gold in Rio, has never said that.

For whatever reason, no one on the men's tour cares about the Olympics.  I think Tiger and Phil would have liked to play for their country but I guess they are in the minority.  I always laugh when people say Justin Rose has had a better career than Adam Scott due to Olympic Gold.  I think it's clear most of their peers don't give a damn about the Olympics.  Maybe it's the money difference between the tours...

Outlier event - Inbee, who has worked so hard to represent ROK again, gives up her seat to (good friend) SYR.  Other than passing Se Ri Pak's LPGA win total (if it's true that she wants this), I'm not sure what will make a difference for Inbee?  I'm actually surprised she's still playing -- she's about to hit the age where the odds for having a kid (easily and without complications) start to decrease notably.

11 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Seems Brittany is having some Visa issues and Brooke will have a new Caddie this week, Evertte Nini.  Now I don't now whether I want to see a different set f eyes help Brooke read putts or have herread everything herself this week.

This will be very interesting to see just how much she relies on big sis. 

• Like 2

Very difficult not to take Lexi this week, given her history here. So I'm gonna do a split Lexi or Hannah for the win. I'll be fair and only take half the credit if one prevails.

This should be the place for Su Oh to shine if she's going to. I don't want to jinx her so I backed off her for a darkhorse pick, even though I wanted to take her.

I'll go with XiYu Lin for the sleeper, and Gabi Ruffels taking a top 15.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm thinking about heading to the tournament this week. I have to wait to see the pairings and tee times. I'd really like if In Gee had a Thursday afternoon slot, so I could drive out Thursday morning, and then catch her round again on Friday morning. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Argonne69 said:

I'm thinking about heading to the tournament this week. I have to wait to see the pairings and tee times. I'd really like if In Gee had a Thursday afternoon slot, so I could drive out Thursday morning, and then catch her round again on Friday morning. 

It helps that you and In Gee are on speaking terms!

How many other players are you on speaking terms in addition to In Gee and Hee Young?

Just now, 18majors said:

It helps that you and In Gee are on speaking terms!

How many other players are you on speaking terms in addition to In Gee and Hee Young?

I've chatted with a number of players. Lydia, So Yeon, and Ariya come to mind. I've said "Hi" to Minjee a few times, but she's pretty reserved, and not much of a conversationalist while she's out on the course.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I'm sure you thought of it already but just in case, be sure to check on ticket availability too.  Last I heard they were going to limit the gallery quite a bit, though that would obviously be less of an issue Th/Fri

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stooch said:

Get with the PROGRAM🤣....hopefully we won't see Brooke chirping with Nini for 2 minutes before hitting a shot.....Team B&B are BRUTAL.

Dave's master plan of slow playing opponents is working.😂

4 hours ago, Stooch said:

I hope it helps Brooke to start doing more for herself.  Who knows, maybe she will focus more on her putting and benefit from that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, agolf1 said:

1) For whatever reason, no one on the men's tour cares about the Olympics.  

2) Outlier event - Inbee, who has worked so hard to represent ROK again, gives up her seat to (good friend) SYR.  

1) It's all about the MAJORS....nuff said....the gals should think the same.

IMO....the Olympics should only be for AMATEURS....but the Olympics is all about the MONEY.

2) Won't happen...just sayin.

SYR doesn't have a fan club like Dumbo. The Flying Dumbo's sent death threats to Inbee to give up her spot in 2018 for the Int'l Crown at Incheon...the Flying Dumbo's WOULD NOT BE DENIED to FANBOY in S. Korea.🤣

I question how popular SYR really is in S. Korea.

At the 2015 CWO...I would have thought SYR would have a lot of fans watching her...to my surprise it was Hyo Joo Kim who had the biggest gallery of the Korean LPGA pros....she was the popular fav among the Koreans to win the ROY...but it was Sei Young who came out to win it.

SYK missed a 6 ft putt on the 72nd hole to miss out on the playoff...I was a happy camper....Lydia beat Stacy.

Edited by KBong

3 hours ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Very difficult not to take Lexi this week, given her history here. So I'm gonna do a split Lexi or Hannah for the win. I'll be fair and only take half the credit if one prevails.

This should be the place for Su Oh to shine if she's going to. I don't want to jinx her so I backed off her for a darkhorse pick, even though I wanted to take her.

I'll go with XiYu Lin for the sleeper, and Gabi Ruffels taking a top 15.

You just JINXED Lexi and Su by mentioning their names...just ask 18majors.

Now the odds of both TRUNK SLAMMIN went up 200%.🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stooch said:

I've already seen the Su Oh movie from this course, please don't make the sequel 😂😇

LMAO

Candidate for post of the year!

My $64,000 question.

Why are there so many Su Oh fanboys (including me) on this site?...and don't give me the underdog rationale.

I've never seen Su play golf....then again I haven't fanboyed since 2016.

I'll have to wait until 2023 to fanboy....CWO here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KBong said:

LMAO

Candidate for post of the year!

My $64,000 question.

Why are there so many Su Oh fanboys (including me) on this site?...and don't give me the underdog rationale.

I've never seen Su play golf....then again I haven't fanboyed since 2016.

I'll have to wait until 2023 to fanboy....CWO here.

She fascinates me, I see her go 6 under on the front 9 and then 6 over on back 9. her volatility is intriguing lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

You sure you want to waste all that gas?....just to hand In Gee a HAND CRAFTED towel you MADE her...... to find it later in the garbage at O'Hare or Wayne County airport on the way to Atlanta....just sayin.🤣

The Rocket is more sincere...but she's not playing.

Jin Young Ko seems really genuine...maybe fanboy her?....get on her good side and buy an autographed pic of Koepka and give it to her....I maybe wrong....didn't JYK say she has a MAN CRUSH on Brooks???

spacer.png

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Well there you go, Ingee has 12:59 tee time on Thurs.

Arg will be conflicted.

If he wants to be on TV with his Dumbo Ears...the feature group of the Canadian Princess, Lexi I can't putt and the American Princess are teeing off on #10 at the same time.

DECISIONS DECISIONS.🤣

Maybe Beth Ann GIGGLES Nichols will give Arg his 15 mins of FAME and interview Arg about the Dumbo Ears.

• Haha 1