2021 Meijer LPGA Classic (Jun 17 - 20)

5 hours ago, KBong said:

the feature group of the Canadian Princess, Lexi I can't putt and the American Princess are teeing off on #10 at the same time.

I was wondering who you were talking about but my guess was correct.  It's a strong grouping and if a couple or all three can get it going it could be fun to watch.  I'm not a particular fan of any of them but they can play.  You can also see who has the most putt and start walking immediately after impact because no hope.  Hahaha.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great round by In Gee, and a nice eagle finish by Angel.     

Highlight of the day. As you note, many pros don't want to be bothered. The LPGA players are more open to interacting with their fans, but before and after rounds they generally want to be left alone.

to those of you that think the Korda sisters are entitled or grew up with the Silver spoons, what do you think of the Nicklaus kids, or the Stockton boys   or Cheyenne Woods, or what will yo

10 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

I'm thinking about heading to the tournament this week. I have to wait to see the pairings and tee times. I'd really like if In Gee had a Thursday afternoon slot, so I could drive out Thursday morning, and then catch her round again on Friday morning. 

Iwas going to drive up from NJ..then changed my mind...I will be going to the Dow in Midland, Mi. instead.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, postfold said:

Last I heard they were going to limit the gallery quite a bit, though that would obviously be less of an issue Th/Fri

This is supposed to be the first LPGA event without attendance restrictions.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/06/15/lpga-brooke-henderson-caddie-sister-meijer-lpga-classic/

This marks the first week on the LPGA that there are no limits when it comes to the number of fans allowed on property and plenty will be out following the winningest Canadian player.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, grm24 said:

This is supposed to be the first LPGA event without attendance restrictions.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/06/15/lpga-brooke-henderson-caddie-sister-meijer-lpga-classic/

This marks the first week on the LPGA that there are no limits when it comes to the number of fans allowed on property and plenty will be out following the winningest Canadian player.

Good news.  They had announced in mid-May that it was going to be limited to 5,000 fans per day, I must have missed that they lifted the limit.  Hopefully that happened early enough to sell some tickets, there has always been solid attendance.  Hoping that everything is back in full next year including the Grand Taste.

2 hours ago, MagicClassic407 said:

Not sure about this...........I don't think Canadians can freely cross the border to US yet.?? 

You're correct about that.  Nonetheless, there are plenty of Canadians working in Michigan that have more or less been isolated in Michigan because of the border controls.   How many actually go out to attend an LPGA event remains to be seen (for this year).

Maria Fassi is living on borrowed time unless she starts to make cuts.  She made only one cut this year and finished T50; as a result she's $149 on CME list.  She wasn't qualified to play KPMG; but has received an invitation to play.  

She'll need to play 2021 Q-School unless she gets herself inside CME #100 by yearend; and there is no guarantee she'll advance out of Q-School.

I don't think Maria will play Symetra Tour; her only option is to commit herself to play better and climb the CME ladder.

Go Maria, starting now!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
19 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Maria Fassi is living on borrowed time unless she starts to make cuts.  She made only one cut this year and finished T50; as a result she's $149 on CME list.

I'm actually surprised to see her back this soon, I thought her injury would keep her out longer.  Hopefully she's not rushing back too quickly and it doesn't turn into another Paula Creamer-type perma-injury situation.

Also hoping she succeeds, if only because I want Tom Abbott to continue to get the enjoyment he clearly gets out of saying "Ma-RIA Fasssssssi"

42 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Maria Fassi is living on borrowed time unless she starts to make cuts.  She made only one cut this year and finished T50; as a result she's $149 on CME list.  She wasn't qualified to play KPMG; but has received an invitation to play.  

She'll need to play 2021 Q-School unless she gets herself inside CME #100 by yearend; and there is no guarantee she'll advance out of Q-School.

I don't think Maria will play Symetra Tour; her only option is to commit herself to play better and climb the CME ladder.

Go Maria, starting now!

The biggest commitment she needs to make is to keep her golf ball on this planet.  Hitting the ball long somewhere really is a waste of her talent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
27 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

The biggest commitment she needs to make is to keep her golf ball on this planet.  Hitting the ball long somewhere really is a waste of her talent.

Funny how being long doesn't always work out. Fassi is tied with Bianca for 145th out of 155 in accuracy 60.7%. AVD and A Lim Kim, are even worse. All 4 of them sit at 1,2,3,4 in distance though...

14 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Funny how being long doesn't always work out. Fassi is tied with Bianca for 145th out of 155 in accuracy 60.7%. AVD and A Lim Kim, are even worse. All 4 of them sit at 1,2,3,4 in distance though...

You don't have to hit fairways, but you must leave playable shots.  Twenty yards OB or in a pond are not playable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

before following In Gee's group in the afternoon

Looking forward to your report about the new In Gee in her lively Fairliar dresses!

I no longer expect her to be a dominant #1, which frees me up and makes it easier to appreciate her as person and a player.  And, what a wonderful person and player she is!

• Like 2

After careful deliberation I'm going with the American Princess this week.  Whatever has been troubling Nelly is going to be behind her and this course is made for her game.  Jennifer Kupcho is my second pick, she's too good not to break through and win soon.  If she had more experience at Blythefield I think I'd pick her outright.

25 minutes ago, postfold said:

Whatever has been troubling Nelly is going to be behind her and this course is made for her game

Poor putting at Pure Silk was Nelly's downfall.  She had 127 putts (including four 3 putts), and 1.85 putts per GIR.  It didn't get any better at USWO.

More than Brooke, putting has always been Nelly's Achilles heel when she isn't playing well.  The telltale sign tomorrow is whether she makes at least 2-3 birdies in her first 9 holes.

Edited by 18majors
1 hour ago, 18majors said:

Poor putting at Pure Silk was Nelly's downfall.  She had 127 putts (including four 3 putts), and 1.85 putts per GIR.  It didn't get any better at USWO.

More than Brooke, putting has always been Nelly's Achilles heel when she isn't playing well.  The telltale sign tomorrow is whether she makes at least 2-3 birdies in her first 9 holes.

Yeah, between the three in that group it won't shock me if they have 100 putts in the round.  Overall I'm generally pleased with the direction of Brooke's putting, even though there still are really bad days lol.  Ebbs and flows, they all go through little funks at various point every season.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, MagicClassic407 said:

Not sure about this...........I don't think Canadians can freely cross the border to US yet.?? 

Yup....the land border still only allows for essential crossings.

BUT

Please note there are American Brooke fanboys/fangirls that will watch her play.

Heck...when the Merican gals were choking it up.....Golf Channel was DESPARATE for a blonde star....so Mericans adopted the Canadian Princess as one of their own.🤣

As a Canadian....I have only seen Brooke play one hole....that's because she was playing with someone I wanted to watch play.

I have a lot of other LPGA pros I'll root for more than Brooke.

I also CANNOT stand Mike Weir.

I also don't like the Vancouver Canucks.

8 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

I'll arrive at the course in the late morning if all goes according to plan. I hope to catch the final few holes from some of the morning wave before following In Gee's group in the afternoon. I'll post a few pics along the way, and a full photo set when I return on Saturday.

If Dumbo goes on a bogey train while you are watching.....go FAR FAR AWAY.

And that doesn't mean bringing your bad luck to watch Muni and GIMMEE.

Save your BAD KARMA for the next afternoon for Kerr, The Pink Diva and SNaP.

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, KBong said:

BUT

Please note there are American Brooke fanboys/fangirls that will watch her play.

Heck...when the Merican gals were choking it up.....Golf Channel was DESPARATE for a blonde star....so Mericans adopted the Canadian Princess as one of their own.🤣

As a Canadian....I have only seen Brooke play one hole....that's because she was playing with someone I wanted to watch play.

Damn, second year in a row I'm missing my Niagara-on-the-Lake theater/golf/winery/biking fix. It's irksome as I'm only 3 hours away. NOT essential👿

8 hours ago, KBong said:

BUT

It just shows the incoherent rules we have in place, but from what I understand the trick is DRIVE.  From what I understand, you fly into Canada you get the 2K 3 night hotel stay, you drive you may get a ticket but are sent home or on your way.  People are flying to Detroit and Buffalo and jumping into cabs to cross the border, our rules are insane lol but at least they made it look like it applies to everyone as the PM had to spend 9 hours in one coming back from the G7 and the lucky taxpayers had to foot the 2k bill, great stuff lol

2 minutes ago, 18majors said:

The morning wave of 71 players (Mel Reid withdrew) is collectively -69, for a potential scoring average of 71.03.

This's quite a departure from USWO in San Francisco.

Yeah this is a horse race, in 2019 Brooke was the leader after 2 rounds at -16  lol