Power-5 college golf coaches salaries

https://bov.vt.edu/assets/Attachment CC.pdf

Why do college golf coaches get paid so little?  This coach in a P-5 conference gets paid less than a recently graduated Computer Science student.  My cousin graduated two weeks ago from a public state university in Computer Science, and he accepted a job at Amazon for 125K/year, LOL...

5 minutes ago, adamscottmaster2013 said:

Why do college golf coaches get paid so little?  This coach in a P-5 conference gets paid less than a recently graduated Computer Science student.  My cousin graduated two weeks ago from a public state university in Computer Science, and he accepted a job at Amazon for 125K/year, LOL...

Because golf doesn't generate revenue like football or basketball does for the university.

• Like 3

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

Here are a couple things to point out...

1. You're only looking at base salary. There are most likely a bunch of incentives (making regionals, winning the conference tourney, making the NCAA championships, and etc.) that allow him to make a lot more. ALL COACHES HAVE INCENTIVES IN THEIR CONTRACTS.
  2. There are almost 300 men's DI golf programs and you're only looking at one university's statistics (from 2019). Not a very large sample size....
  3. I have no idea what VT's athletic department's financials look like, but I can guarantee you that baseball definitely pulls in more revenue than golf. Golf is one of the lowest at every school when it comes to generating revenue so the golf coach is never going to be high up on the income list unless it's somewhere like OK State. 

2 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

Here are a couple things to point out...

1. You're only looking at base salary. There are most likely a bunch of incentives (making regionals, winning the conference tourney, making the NCAA championships, and etc.) that allow him to make a lot more. ALL COACHES HAVE INCENTIVES IN THEIR CONTRACTS.
  2. There are almost 300 men's DI golf programs and you're only looking at one university's statistics (from 2019). Not a very large sample size....
  3. I have no idea what VT's athletic department's financials look like, but I can guarantee you that baseball definitely pulls in more revenue than golf. Golf is one of the lowest at every school when it comes to generating revenue so the golf coach is never going to be high up on the income list unless it's somewhere like OK State. 

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/virginia-polytechnic-institute-and-state-university/student-life/sports/#basketball

Baseball loses almost 3M/year compares to 400K/year to golf.  Baseball brings in 245K/year and golf brings in 53K/year. 

The baseball coach makes 500K and golf coach makes 90K.  In other words, the baseball coach makes 5 1/2 times more than a golf coach and the baseball program has a deficit of 3M/year.  WTH.

9 minutes ago, adamscottmaster2013 said:

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/virginia-polytechnic-institute-and-state-university/student-life/sports/#basketball

Baseball loses almost 3M/year compares to 400K/year to golf.  Baseball brings in 245K/year and golf brings in 53K/year. 

The baseball coach makes 500K and golf coach makes 90K.  In other words, the baseball coach makes 5 1/2 times more than a golf coach and the baseball program has a deficit of 3M/year.  WTH.

I'm not sure that website is where you would go to find legitimate data. I looked up my alma mater and it said half the teams made as much money as they lost and I know for a fact that's not true.

If you think the Virginia Tech golf coach deserves a raise then call the university and let them know. 

If you're just wondering why golf coaches in general aren't paid as much that seems like pretty common sense type of stuff. College golf isn't as popular as other sports. If fact, I'd venture to say it's one of the least popular sports and that's coming from someone who played college golf for a Power 5 program. Alumni couldn't care less if the golf team wins or not, but they do care if the Baseball or Basketball or Football team wins. If those teams keep winning, then alumni and boosters donate more money and the school makes more money. So the coaches in those sports are always going to be paid more because they are paid to win (and they are easily fired when they lose) whereas most golf coaches are paid just not to suck and maybe win every now and then. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

I'm not sure that website is where you would go to find legitimate data. I looked up my alma mater and it said half the teams made as much money as they lost and I know for a fact that's not true.

If you think the Virginia Tech golf coach deserves a raise then call the university and let them know. 

If you're just wondering why golf coaches in general aren't paid as much that seems like pretty common sense type of stuff. College golf isn't as popular as other sports. If fact, I'd venture to say it's one of the least popular sports and that's coming from someone who played college golf for a Power 5 program. Alumni couldn't care less if the golf team wins or not, but they do care if the Baseball or Basketball or Football team wins. If those teams keep winning, then alumni and boosters donate more money and the school makes more money. So the coaches in those sports are always going to be paid more because they are paid to win (and they are easily fired when they lose) whereas most golf coaches are paid just not to suck and maybe win every now and then. 

First of all, basketball and football make money, baseball does NOT.

I am curious as to why college golf coaches make less than coaches in other sports.  Golf is an expensive sport most golf college alum are business people who are in management position of fortune 100, 500, 1000 companies.  I know my father donates a lot to his and my mother alma mater.  He also recruits other officers at his company and other companies to donate as well.  My mother also does fund raising for her alma mater and she has raised a lot of money over the years.  She to is surprised to hear that golf coaches do not get paid that well.

If they don't like the pay, they are free to get a job elsewhere.  No one is forcing them to stay at that job.   Coaches in Football and Basketball get paid WAY too much. 

I know my Daughter's college coach got paid around $46,000 a year.  She was a terrible D1 coach.  The assistant made around $39,000 a year and he was worse than her.  Her coach was forced to resign after 2.5 years after investigation of Racism, Mental, Abuse, and Sexual Harassment.  The Assistants contract was not renewed.

With that said, 46K is chump change.  I don't believe any college coach should be making any more than the professors at the University.  They shouldn't be making less either.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

On 6/15/2021 at 4:11 PM, adamscottmaster2013 said:

First of all, basketball and football make money, baseball does NOT.

I am curious as to why college golf coaches make less than coaches in other sports.  Golf is an expensive sport most golf college alum are business people who are in management position of fortune 100, 500, 1000 companies.  I know my father donates a lot to his and my mother alma mater.  He also recruits other officers at his company and other companies to donate as well.  My mother also does fund raising for her alma mater and she has raised a lot of money over the years.  She to is surprised to hear that golf coaches do not get paid that well.

It’s up to each school and each coach to negotiate the contract. I would be curious to see an average of a P5 conference. That would be much more telling. But then again, I’m assuming golf coaches in the SEC or Big12 probably make more than Big10 coaches based on team success and program strength. Who knows. 

I understand the thinking that most golfers are smart kids and go on to have successful careers post golf. The idea that “most golf College alum are business people who are in management positions of fortune 100-1000 companies” is laughable. No doubt, some will go on to positions like you mention. Some will become teachers, police officers, stay at home dads, social workers, and many other positions that don’t get paid overly well. 

Regardless, I don’t see how the post grad monetary success of college athletes has anything to do with what a coach gets paid.

Because most college golf coaches know nothing about being a golf "coach" and could never survive teaching golf.

The players have their own swing and golf coaches.

Most university coaches couldn't shoot 85 to save their lives and got the job by being a friend of a friend.

I know a golf coach at a major university who couldn't run a lemonade stand and can barely get dressed in the morning. He could have been the third main character in "Dumb and Dumber."

Maybe it's better if you try to explain what a university golf coach does to justify a high salary? What is it you think they do?

Added: OK, maybe that's a little harsh. I'm sure there must be a few good college golf coaches.

Edited by Soloman1
  • Like 2

capitalization eliminated as a cost reduction

8 hours ago, JeffreySpicoli said:

Kid, if you think college golf is a fast track to business success, then . . .

I've found a good golf game to be a tie breaker in the hiring process in some fields.

• Haha 1

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

when your dad is a CEO with a hellacious 2 iron, your views tend to be a little skewed. 

• Haha 1

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

This is interesting stuff but not surprising. It also should shade your thoughts if you have a kid who wants to play D1 golf. I.e. the gatekeeper to your child's golf career is essentially a low-paid clerk (technically speaking). Coach is likely there because they love the game of golf, which is admirable and I have a lot of respect for coaches. I imagine that many of these coaches getting paid these salaries are hard workers at the end of it probably making about $20/hour if they add it all up. Again, I admire the hustle and love for the game. 

There are undoubtedly others coaches who just like to feel important, but suck at the job. These kind like the fact that their players come to them already coached up and they can work 6 months a year and pretend to work the other 6. The friend of a friend, and a lot of cases the coach who basically hung around the university after their playing days, getting on as an assistant and moving up to coach - but never experiencing the "real world". 

I have an acquaintance who's daughter got on a D1 basketball scholarship (low end D-1). She is tall, but not especially dynamic or aggressive. Very smart, and very sweet girl. I asked him at a party about how that came about. He told me he made a mix tape of her highlights, found out which schools did not have budget for their coaches to make scouting trips and sent the videos to all of them. He only sent stat lines from her good games, which were typically against bad teams.  A couple conversations, a zoom call and she got a scholarship. Coach has to do minimal work and feels like he did his research too. The risk of course is can she keep the scholarship, but in most cases the coaches don't want to look bad so they keep the scholarship player - hoping they will improve for at least 2 years. She is definitely a hard worker in the gym, so I like her chances of getting at least 2 years.

Another reason that golf coaches don't get paid much is because the scouting is already done by AJGA and other ranking organization. So scouting can be done laying in bed with an ipad. I'm starting to think I might want to be a golf coach.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/18/2021 at 12:45 AM, StudentGolfer4 said:

It’s up to each school and each coach to negotiate the contract. I would be curious to see an average of a P5 conference. That would be much more telling. But then again, I’m assuming golf coaches in the SEC or Big12 probably make more than Big10 coaches based on team success and program strength. Who knows. 

I understand the thinking that most golfers are smart kids and go on to have successful careers post golf. The idea that “most golf College alum are business people who are in management positions of fortune 100-1000 companies” is laughable. No doubt, some will go on to positions like you mention. Some will become teachers, police officers, stay at home dads, social workers, and many other positions that don’t get paid overly well. 

Regardless, I don’t see how the post grad monetary success of college athletes has anything to do with what a coach gets paid.

I am only 19 years old, what do I know?

What I do know is that my father gets invited to a lot of corporate sponsored golf events.  Companies like Cisco Systems, PaloAlto networks, Juniper, Oracle, Workday, etc... Those companies invite my father to golf event outings every month.  I went with my father a few times to these events and it is very much like a get together "networking" event.  Most people who are there are CEO, CIO, CFO, COO, etc... What they do is networking and get people there to get jobs for their kids and vice versa.  There is a company policy where my dad works that forbid hiring immediate family members but nothing about hiring neighbors.  In other words, my father can hire a relative of another CIO at the event and that CIO can hire me and they circumvent the rule. 

2 hours ago, adamscottmaster2013 said:

I am only 19 years old, what do I know?

What I do know is that my father gets invited to a lot of corporate sponsored golf events.  Companies like Cisco Systems, PaloAlto networks, Juniper, Oracle, Workday, etc... Those companies invite my father to golf event outings every month.  I went with my father a few times to these events and it is very much like a get together "networking" event.  Most people who are there are CEO, CIO, CFO, COO, etc... What they do is networking and get people there to get jobs for their kids and vice versa.  There is a company policy where my dad works that forbid hiring immediate family members but nothing about hiring neighbors.  In other words, my father can hire a relative of another CIO at the event and that CIO can hire me and they circumvent the rule. 

So your dad is a CIO who gets invited to golf events paid for by technology vendors.

Wow, that’s crazy! 

And people network when they play golf.

Even crazier!

What other profound truths can you share about this rarified world that your powerful and one of a kind dad lives in?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JeffreySpicoli said:

So your dad is a CIO who gets invited to golf events paid for by technology vendors.

Wow, that’s crazy! 

And people network when they play golf.

Even crazier!

What other profound truths can you share about this rarified world that your powerful and one of a kind dad lives in?

Yo @JeffreySpico,

I also learned that these companies also invite people like my father and their families to food and wine festival as a way to sell more business and more "network" between attendees.

I simply respond to another post in this thread that "The idea that “most golf College alum are business people who are in management positions of fortune 100-1000 companies” is laughable. No doubt, some will go on to positions like you mention. Some will become teachers, police officers, stay at home dads, social workers, and many other positions that don’t get paid overly well. "

During my short time of playing golf, that is NOT my experience.  I've met one professor from University of Maryland (he makes 200k/year teaching biomedical engineering), no police officers, no social workers nor anyone that have low paying jobs, and I spend quite lot of time on public golf courses.  I also met a few stay-at-home dads but those guys made lot of money in the tech sectors.

@adamscottmaster2013

I see what you are saying. We are just describing two different things. I was focusing on the statement that college golfers who played for their college teams (not people that just played in college for fun) usually go on to careers that make a lot of money. 

I have no doubts that people who are members at expensive/exclusive clubs and attend events like you mention make a lot of money. I don’t know the people you have played with but from a number standpoint I’m fairly confident the large majority did not play college golf. This applies to members who belong to Augusta, Oakmont, Cyprus, Pine Valley, and all the way down to your local munis. 

To everyone else, no need to call random people on an online forum names and try to belittle them. I always read on here about golf being a game of etiquette and needing to pass it on to the younger generation and those without as much experience. This seems like a good example of that. 

Just kidding. I read some of his other posts. I retract my statements about passing on information and etiquette. 

Edited by StudentGolfer4
  • Like 1

I am no expert but I am guessing coaches with Big Alumni and booster clubs at school do a lot better then coaches who teach at schools where the alumni couldn't care less about the school after they leave.

The other thing to keep in mind is no one goes into education for money.  There are always exceptions to this but the vast majority of people who are in Educational institutions make far less money teaching then they would if they did something else.

A college coach I would think is no different. They might be able to get a much better job elsewhere but they choose to make less because they get to teach or mentor.  Money is great but it is not a motivator for everyone either.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 1:43 PM, adamscottmaster2013 said:

Why do college golf coaches get paid so little?  This coach in a P-5 conference gets paid less than a recently graduated Computer Science student.

Which Power 5 school is this? (Like, bone up on your term paper footnoting skills // had to track down VT + Justin Fuentes at football = Virginia Tech). You could have circled key data in red so I didn't have to go through 10 pages of line items twice to find what was critical.

And as another said, this is a sample of 1 out of several dozen Power 5 schools.

8 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

The other thing to keep in mind is no one goes into education for money.  There are always exceptions to this but the vast majority of people who are in Educational institutions make far less money teaching then they would if they did something else.

A college coach I would think is no different. They might be able to get a much better job elsewhere but they choose to make less because they get to teach or mentor.

This is key factor.

And, why are you so upset? I'd be more concerned that VT anthropology majors graduate $25,000 in debt with low job prospects. Get a life!

Oh, nice to know VT has a golf team...

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

On 6/15/2021 at 2:43 PM, adamscottmaster2013 said:

Because golf is a niche sport that isn't very popular or accessible

On 6/18/2021 at 12:19 AM, Soloman1 said:

Because most college golf coaches know nothing about being a golf "coach" and could never survive teaching golf.

As a retired college professor, I must call you out for making a very uninformed statement about college golf coaches. By chance, I have observed college golf at all four levels.

Got my PhD at a Texas school with middling Div. 1 program that puts a couple players a decade on the pro tour. Both coaches are SEC golf veterans who played mini-tour before entering coaching.

The coach at a Div. 2 school where I taught had played a scattering of PGA Tour events in his 20s. He was a full-time faculty member at the school, coaching golf and serving as a general academic advisor for undergraduates. He was also an excellent instructor during summer - if you could work your way into his lesson calendar.

---------------------------------------------

For phys ed golf classes, he got control of several acres next to the baseball fields. He mowed areas as fairway and rough, and set up some target flags. He kept it mowed during the summer, and I would spend time flighting iron shots over trees of different heights, and learning to judge distance of uphill and downhill shots.

---------------------------------------------

In the area where I retired...

At NAIA and Div. III schools, you may or may not have a golf coach who is a fulltime employee. In the area where I live, the small-college golf coaches are either highly successful teaching pros with full summer lesson schedules, or pros at a local club.

In the early 2000s, you sometimes found a faculty professor who served as coach, splitting time between golf and classroom teaching. Most of these have retired and golf pros have stepped in.

Can't speak for other areas, but good credentials amongst our coaches.

On 6/18/2021 at 12:19 AM, Soloman1 said:

The players have their own swing and golf coaches.

Yes, and this is a touchy area especially at Div. I. // I volunteered at a major USGA amateur tournament and got to meet a Pac-12 golf coach who was helping run the event. I asked him about coach-home instructor relationships. It goes like this:

😀 If the kid is finishing top three in major tournaments, it's because the hometown instructor is a genius.

😭 If the kid is shooting 77 or 79 a lot and is only an alternate on the travel squad, it's because the college coach is screwing him up.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Your n = number is pretty small. I think you're relying on limited anecdotal observation or experience, but that's understandable. I have a lot more experience teaching college coaches, tour coaches, club pros and tour pros around the world. Anyone who knows me wouldn't call me uninformed, as you said.

Of course there are good coaches. But, I'm going to stick with my wording that "most" are not. 

Everyone thinks that they're an above average driver. That's not possible, is it?

Playing in a smattering of tour events also doesn't translate automatically to being a good teacher. I know tour pros who couldn't teach a PhD how to open a box of cereal.

It's what a college coach knows. Just like the distribution in any field, most are average, some are dreadful and some are really good. Only 20% are really good, so that leaves 80% who are not really good and 80% certainly fits into the definition of "most."

This guy was one of the best kicking coaches in the NFL. He never kicked a ball in his life. Cheers!

ap-kicking-coach-4_3.jpeg

• Like 2

capitalization eliminated as a cost reduction

On 6/26/2021 at 3:55 PM, Soloman1 said:

Your n = number is pretty small. I think you're relying on limited anecdotal observation or experience, but that's understandable. I have a lot more experience teaching college coaches, tour coaches, club pros and tour pros around the world. Anyone who knows me wouldn't call me uninformed, as you said.

Of course there are good coaches. But, I'm going to stick with my wording that "most" are not. 

Everyone thinks that they're an above average driver. That's not possible, is it?

Playing in a smattering of tour events also doesn't translate automatically to being a good teacher. I know tour pros who couldn't teach a PhD how to open a box of cereal.

It's what a college coach knows. Just like the distribution in any field, most are average, some are dreadful and some are really good. Only 20% are really good, so that leaves 80% who are not really good and 80% certainly fits into the definition of "most."

This guy was one of the best kicking coaches in the NFL. He never kicked a ball in his life. Cheers!

ap-kicking-coach-4_3.jpeg

I 100% agree with you.  There are very few college coaches that are good.

• Like 1

I think some of you are trying to view college golf coaches as "teaching coaches", and that isn't really what they are there to do. Yes, some of them may come from a teaching professional background, but they are definitely the minority. 

The majority of college golf coaches (DI at least) are former players who got into coaching. They know how to manage a team and the players, how to recruit, and how to put together a roster. Due to their playing background they are knowledgeable in course management, green reading, and etc., but they aren't who you want to turn to for technical instruction (and most will admit that). 

My coach was solid player (won a number of NCAA and amateur events both in school and after), but he was not a trained instructor. Those two are very separate things in my mind. He was an excellent college coach with very helpful advice on the course, but he was not a teaching coach and didn't try to be.

Edited by Abh159
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

I think some of you are trying to view college golf coaches as "teaching coaches", and that isn't really what they are there to do. Yes, some of them may come from a teaching professional background, but they are definitely the minority. 

The majority of college golf coaches (DI at least) are former players who got into coaching. They know how to manage a team and the players, how to recruit, and how to put together a roster. Due to their playing background they are knowledgeable in course management, green reading, and etc., but they aren't who you want to turn to for technical instruction (and most will admit that). 

My coach was solid player (won a number of NCAA and amateur events both in school and after), but he was not a teaching coach. He was an excellent college coach, but not a teaching coach. Those two are very separate things in my mind. 

High Level college golf comes down to how well the Coach at the school recruits.  Nothing more nothing less.  The rest is motivating to practice.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

High Level college golf comes down to how well the Coach at the school recruits.  Nothing more nothing less.  The rest is motivating to practice.

Coaches and players are also expected to dial for dollars to the big donors.

• Like 2
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.