Been playing a year with the Ping G400 sft and I have recently installed a skytrac simulator in my garage. Noticed I had really high spin even on my best hits. I got to take home a sim 2 max which increased distance with less spin and tighter dispersion. Would the first sim with the same shaft be very similar?

Long story short, I don't want to pay $550 for a sim 2 max. So what is older but very similar that I should try to hit?

Edited by Navistar
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No. This is completely wrong.   Op, to diagnose spin issues you need to:   1st: Isolate strike pattern. If you are hitting low on the face your spin numbers will be very high regar

It does.  Sticking a low/low shaft with your G400 isn't going to magically bring spin down 1000+rpms.  You need to find a different head.  The OG SIM is a low spin head to begin with.  It's also not v

Good info. Thank you. Really enjoying this epic max LS. Hitting 18 tomorrow to test in the field. Maybe I found my stick 

What is really high spin for you?

What shaft and loft are you using in your Ping G400 und Sim2 Max?

TaylorMade SIM 9.0*, Oban Kiyoshi Black 65 X

TaylorMade SIM 3 Wood, Oban Kiyoshi Black 75 X

TaylorMade SIM DHY 3, SteelFiber i95 Stiff

TaylorMade P770 4-6, Dynamic Gold 105 VSS Stiff

TaylorMade P7MC 7-PW, Dynamic Gold 105 VSS Stiff

TaylorMade MG2 50, [email protected], 60, Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 2

If you like the Ping, why don't you try and find a LST model from the same model year as your SFT.

Ping G410 w/ Tensei orange
Cobra G410 3W  
Ping G400 7W

Titleist 818 5H
Ping G710 5-P w/ KBS Tour 120
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX 2 52*
Cleveland CBX Full Face 56*
TM Spider X 34" blue

Alphard V2 wheels

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nevek said:

What is really high spin for you?

What shaft and loft are you using in your Ping G400 und Sim2 Max?

I was getting 4000 and up consistently with ping. Sometimes high 3000s with the perfect hit.

Much lower spin consistency with the sim 2.

Ping has the stock Alta regular flex. Ping turned down to 9.5 degrees I think? 

Sim 2 max has ventus blue stiff. 9.0 degrees 

I swing about 96 - 98 mph and if I really push it low 100s so I figured I would give stiff a try 

Edited by Navistar

What is your Angle of Attack?

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

35 minutes ago, Navistar said:

That's an option. Guess I thought club head played more of a role with spin 

It does.  Sticking a low/low shaft with your G400 isn't going to magically bring spin down 1000+rpms.  You need to find a different head.  The OG SIM is a low spin head to begin with.  It's also not very forgiving on mis hits.  Pick your poison so to speak. 

• Like 2

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Tensei 1k 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

If you are already using the SFT head, then my guess is more of a swing issue that needs to be fixed rather than an experimental bandaid of a new head.  If you're still spinning it close to 4k on your 'perfect" hits, you likely aren't hitting it 'perfectly'.  Just hitting it in the middle of the face doesn't matter much if the delivery (AoA, face angle and path) are terrible.

Edited by PEI_Golfer

TM Sim2 9* Ventus Red 6X

Titleist TSI2 16.5* AV Raw Blue 75X

Titleist TSI2 18* AV Raw Blue 75X

TM 760 4-PW TI S400

TM MG2 52*, Hi-toe 58* TI S400

Odyssey Tank V-Line 35"

4 minutes ago, PEI_Golfer said:

If you are already using the SFT head, then my guess is more of a swing issue that needs to be fixed rather than an experimental bandaid of a new head.  If you're still spinning it close to 4k on your 'perfect" hits, you likely aren't hitting it 'perfectly'.  Just hitting it in the middle of the face doesn't matter much if the delivery (AoA, face angle and path) are terrible.

Why would the sim 2 spin less and carry further if my swing is 100% the culprit? I'm not looking to be a pro, just add a little distance and see tighter dispersion if possible. Seems the sim 2 did that after 100 hits on the simulator last night and this morning. Just didn't want to part with $550. There has to be older generations that can compete. 

Just now, Navistar said:

Why would the sim 2 spin less and carry further if my swing is 100% the culprit? I'm not looking to be a pro, just add a little distance and see tighter dispersion if possible. Seems the sim 2 did that after 100 hits on the simulator last night and this morning. Just didn't want to part with $550. There has to be older generations that can compete. 

If it spins less, than it will likely go further.  The SFT's aren't lower spinning heads, the Max will be a lower spinning head than the SFT.  

As I said, it is a bandaid fix to an underlaying issue.

TM Sim2 9* Ventus Red 6X

Titleist TSI2 16.5* AV Raw Blue 75X

Titleist TSI2 18* AV Raw Blue 75X

TM 760 4-PW TI S400

TM MG2 52*, Hi-toe 58* TI S400

Odyssey Tank V-Line 35"

The shaft for certain will affect dispersion and spin rate, especially if we are comparing different different flexes.

If you hit a tour issue LS driver with a Senior Flex Shaft you will probably also see extremely high spin rates, despite utilising a low spinning head.

TaylorMade SIM 9.0*, Oban Kiyoshi Black 65 X

TaylorMade SIM 3 Wood, Oban Kiyoshi Black 75 X

TaylorMade SIM DHY 3, SteelFiber i95 Stiff

TaylorMade P770 4-6, Dynamic Gold 105 VSS Stiff

TaylorMade P7MC 7-PW, Dynamic Gold 105 VSS Stiff

TaylorMade MG2 50, [email protected], 60, Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 2

1 hour ago, Kale_m said:

I probably wouldn’t trust a sky track monitor to give proper spin rates 

I understand they aren't as accurate but I average much lower with sim than the Ping sft. And I played 18 with it and hit some really long drives. Just curious if there is anything last year's model that would be very comparable 

22 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

No. This is completely wrong.

Op, to diagnose spin issues you need to:

1st: Isolate strike pattern. If you are hitting low on the face your spin numbers will be very high regardless of any head or shaft. The easiest way to lower spin is to strike it higher.

2nd: you may need to loft down. Loft is the second culprit of high spin. Whether you artifically add it or not, or no matter your angle of attack, the loft you dynamically deliver is the second, and arguably first culprit of spin.

3rd: head design. No heads are equal, the g400 max is a well documented spin machine. There are lower spinning heads such as the 2020 SIM. Your results may vary but you could see as much as 1k spin differences, generally speaking usually 500 revs at a minimum from the lowest spining head to the highest.

4th- shafts- shafts CAN influence spin, but not as much as people think. A too weak of a shaft can increase dynamic loft (point #2), or an incorrect fit could result in low strikes (point #1). If strikes are equal you may see as much as 200-300 revs at most from a shaft change. 

Good info. Thank you. Really enjoying this epic max LS. Hitting 18 tomorrow to test in the field. Maybe I found my stick 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Navistar said:

OG SIM will get it done.  Or like someone else suggested, Ping G410 LST.  

Edited by Avidswampthing66

Callaway Epic Max LS w/ Tensei 1k 6s

M6 3w Oban Purp 75g

M6 5w Graphite Design ad-di 7s

Apex Pro 21 MMT 95s  

Mizuno T-20 50, 54, 58

TM spider x

Pro V1x

11 hours ago, Red4282 said:

No. This is completely wrong.

Op, to diagnose spin issues you need to:

1st: Isolate strike pattern. If you are hitting low on the face your spin numbers will be very high regardless of any head or shaft. The easiest way to lower spin is to strike it higher.

2nd: you may need to loft down. Loft is the second culprit of high spin. Whether you artifically add it or not, or no matter your angle of attack, the loft you dynamically deliver is the second, and arguably first culprit of spin.

3rd: head design. No heads are equal, the g400 max is a well documented spin machine. There are lower spinning heads such as the 2020 SIM. Your results may vary but you could see as much as 1k spin differences, generally speaking usually 500 revs at a minimum from the lowest spining head to the highest.

4th- shafts- shafts CAN influence spin, but not as much as people think. A too weak of a shaft can increase dynamic loft (point #2), or an incorrect fit could result in low strikes (point #1). If strikes are equal you may see as much as 200-300 revs at most from a shaft change. 

'

Excellent post.  Just adding some things.

3rd+   High and Low spin heads are only that when the impact pattern is good.    A "low spin head" really means it's a high gear effect head.  And while a high gear effect head will lower spin for good impact location, it will also increase spin more for a poor (low) face impact than the "low gear effect" heads.

4th+  For some people, the stiffness feel can add an influence (sometimes significant) from the shaft that has NOTHING to do with (doesn't match or even be contrary to) the marketed launch characteristics of the shaft.

5th - The playing length, shaft weight and swing weight can have a big influence the swing and the dynamic loft delivered and face impact for a lot people.   So those factors should not be ignored when comparing results from different clubs.   In fact, in most cases fixing any of those that might be a bad fit for the player can be much more effective at fixing a problem than changing out heads or shafts.  Especially true if there is a problem with face impact location or consistency.    Before throwing money at the problem, it's best to go through the following tutorial for tuning up your existing equipment first.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

This posts hits so close to home it's scary.  I've been using a PIng G30 10.5* with  Hrzdus Smoke Yellow for the past year.  I've always felt I was leaving distance on the table but I hit it so well and I was hitting so many fairways that I didn't want to mess with chasing distance.  In my head "it was long enough".

A few weeks ago I tried my friend's SIM2 Max 9* with RDX Black. It was on a par 5 and by chance I flushed both on almost identical lines.  Since it was on an elevated tee I was able to see carry and landing.  The SIM2 carried at least 10 yards more and total distance was 30 yards in front of the G30.  Keep in mind my G30 is 45" and the SIM2 is 45.75" so I'm not sure how much that contributed.

When I got home and saw that the SIM2 was $500+ there was no way I was spending that since I know there's a boatload of drivers out there that can match it.  Plus I don't know how much the shaft length contributed.  So now I have a 2017 M2 on the way to experiment with.

PING G30 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 60
PING G 3W  Alta 70
Srixon U65 18* Recoil Prototype 110 F4

Taylormade Rocketbladez Tour “F” Heads 3-PW DG120 S300

Callaway Jaws CC 52*, 58* DGS300
Nike Method Mod 00

Pretty much everything is low spin these days. 

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; LAB DF2.1
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX