Course Management Strategy

I have been averaging high 70's lately with around 4-6/18 Greens In Regulations. I have full confidence in my putting. If I could dramatically increase my GIR per round I know ill shoot in the 60's/low 70's consistently.

Does anyone have any course management strategies that they feel help/helped lower their scores? 

• Like 1

Too vague a question. Only general thing to say is don't hit clubs or shots that will put you in trouble unless you hit them perfectly. Also don't in general pick shots/clubs requiring you to hit them perfectly.

• Like 1

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Really, course management can really be just simplified as DDD. Don't Do Dumb. You can get into the SG and Decade stuff for more minutia like pushing the ball as close to the hole as possible on par 5s if you don't have hazards to worry about.

• Like 2

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Fear of going low.  By the time you're breaking 80 consistently you should be able to execute the basic shots you need to go low.  For me it wasn't range time, but learning complete focus and at first ignoring the flag and shooting at the center of every green.  Anyone should be able to 2 putt from the center of the green, so you just need 1 drive in play and 1 good iron shot per hole and that's it.  2 good shots and 2 average putts.  Not perfect, not great, not heroic, just boring and playable.  Once I figured that out and broke par for the first time, I shot 69, I preceded to shoot in the 60's the next 5 rounds and shot a 62 in a US Am. qualifying practice round, we won't talk about the qualifier though.  On Par 5's even, 2 good shots, a chip to the middle of the green and 2 putts gets you there.  On par 3's you just need one good shot.  Just take it one shot at a time starting on the tee box.  Also, being more proficient in the long game takes pressure off of your putter, if every putt is a stress free birdie putt instead of 6-10 feet for par constantly your putting will be more freed up and you'll be able to take chances.

Read Mark Broadie's book 'Every Shot Counts'.  Break the notion of 'drive for show, putt for dough'.  Putting doesn't do much for you if you're on the green in 4.

3 hours ago, getitdaily said:

How many greens do you miss because you're hitting it in bad spots off the tee?

Do you have a stock shot that's consistent? 

What do you do if you have a pin on the right side from 175? Pin on left from 175?

Hit it to the middle of the green x2

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

41 minutes ago, SNIPERBBB said:

Really, course management can really be just simplified as DDD. Don't Do Dumb. You can get into the SG and Decade stuff for more minutia like pushing the ball as close to the hole as possible on par 5s if you don't have hazards to worry about.

Decade is a bit more than that, but yes, essentially revolves around Don't Do Dumb. It just uses numbers to help you see why exactly it's dumb and set proper expectations. 

1 hour ago, OpenPar said:

Fear of going low.  By the time you're breaking 80 consistently you should be able to execute the basic shots you need to go low.  For me it wasn't range time, but learning complete focus and at first ignoring the flag and shooting at the center of every green.  Anyone should be able to 2 putt from the center of the green, so you just need 1 drive in play and 1 good iron shot per hole and that's it.  2 good shots and 2 average putts.  Not perfect, not great, not heroic, just boring and playable.  Once I figured that out and broke par for the first time, I shot 69, I preceded to shoot in the 60's the next 5 rounds and shot a 62 in a US Am. qualifying practice round, we won't talk about the qualifier though.  On Par 5's even, 2 good shots, a chip to the middle of the green and 2 putts gets you there.  On par 3's you just need one good shot.  Just take it one shot at a time starting on the tee box.  Also, being more proficient in the long game takes pressure off of your putter, if every putt is a stress free birdie putt instead of 6-10 feet for par constantly your putting will be more freed up and you'll be able to take chances.

Read Mark Broadie's book 'Every Shot Counts'.  Break the notion of 'drive for show, putt for dough'.  Putting doesn't do much for you if you're on the green in 4.

I resonate with what you say a lot as I'm not focused on pounding balls at the range anymore but really trying to dial in my focus and one thing that has been getting away is truly focusing on the middle of the green/where you want to land vs. flag hunting. Even when I set-up and take one more looks at my target, the flag will get in my view and start making me think off my intended target which leads to hesitant shots. 

Scott Fawcett's DECADE system has helped a lot of golfers.  My work in Pro Golf Synopsis is pretty much similar in terms of the conclusions based on the data.

A few things I would recommend are:

1.  Get to know the legitimate average carry and total distance of each club using a launch monitor.

2.  Learn how to use Google Earth determine your best targets off the tee and on approach shots.

Hitting more GIR's is a good goal and better course management will help with that.  But better course management will also help you avoid hitting into hazards/OB and to stop short siding yourself.  Essentially taking those double bogeys out of play which are killers.

RH

• Like 2

I believes its legendary college coach Mike Small that sometimes removes flags during practice rounds. The players do not know where the hole is, so the goal of the approach is to put the ball in the middle of the green. He finds it highly beneficial for elite division 1 players. Has to help weekend warriors even more. Imagine playing a quick round of golf where you drop the approach is in the center of the green. How can you not shoot par?

For most, getting the ball on the green means aiming back center of the green. Don't pin hunt and leave yourself short sighted. Don't club down when the pin is in the front and end up in the bunker guarding the green. And also dont get discouraged when you hit a green but are far from the pin. I see way too many players down on themselves when the pin is on the left and they hit the right side of the green on a 160 yard par 3. Celebrate all GIRs. Those are likely par holes. 

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

4 hours ago, SNIPERBBB said:

Only general thing to say is don't hit clubs or shots that will put you in trouble unless you hit them perfectly. Also don't in general pick shots/clubs requiring you to hit them perfectly.

Right. Put another way: lean into your strengths and away from your weaknesses. 

No one shoots in the 70's without having a lot of good things happening. Your plan on every tee should be "How can I use the things I do well to conquer this hole?"

It wouldn't kill any of us to make a mental list of the things we know we do well. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

10 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Improve your ball striking - that's the answer for your irons given the large number of greens missed, unless it's missing fairways in which case - improve your ball striking!  Guessing it comes down to this, but not a lot of info.  Saving 10 strokes per round?  Who knows.

yup, came here intending to post a similar reply.

OP, how do you know course management is going to get you more GIR than improving ball striking?

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 4:59 AM, PETERMCKEE7 said:

I have full confidence in my putting. ...

... Does anyone have any course management strategies that they feel help/helped lower their scores?

If you regularly break 80 and putt well, it's likely not an issue of course management. It's probably a soft iron game. The way to get more GIR is to improve your approach shots.

Good putting can help prevent scoring poorly... But to play scratch golf you need to drop quite a few approaches inside 10 yards each round.

On 6/16/2021 at 8:14 AM, Hawkeye77 said:

Improve your ball striking - that's the answer for your irons given the large number of greens missed,

How to improve approach shots: work some on good set-up and mechanics on the range. Then, on slow afternoons, go out on the course and work on a couple of holes for a half-hour each. Hit a few from the light rough about 170 yards out, a few from the fairway, practice a fade around the trees that crowd the edge of the landing area.

These on-course shots give you a realistic job preview of the approaches you will face, much better than hitting a dozen balls off a flat range lie.

Get your confidence working, and you will get those irons working...

• Like 2

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

That is a low GIR. The biggest adjustment for me in terms of course management that helped me shoot low 70's more consistently was looking at every hole and seeing if the need to hit a driver was needed. The course I play on is very tight and shorter in terms of length. I realized taking a 3 wood or 5 wood of the tee had me hitting more 9 and 8 irons in but I wasnt leaving myself off the fairway to where I had a 9 or wedge in but was either in the heavy rough or the the trees. That one example of course management to where you are content with say 150 in to a hole and that would keep you from trouble off the tee meaning reaching fairway bunker or if your ball veered off, being behind trouble. You gotta have a plan for every shot as to where you can miss and be okay with it. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

25 minutes ago, RichieHunt said:

I don't have a problem with a player aiming at the flag, but the #1 rule is to not short side yourself.  The 40-foot putt isn't exactly ideal, but I'd take that over the potential short side scramble opportunity.

A pearl of wisdom.

Edited by JeffreySpicoli

2 hours ago, RichieHunt said:

I know Lou Stagner, who works with Scott Fawcett and DECADE showed a stat where Tour players' GIR % goes way down on front pin locations than back pin locations.  To me that indicates the reason why scores go up on front pin locations...too many golfers don't play for enough distance and they end up missing short more often than they think...

I would suggest that Tour pros and average golfers have different reasons for short-pin problems. Tour pros hit the ball in with quite a bit of backspin, and may spin back off if the green has a false front of any kind. And, at the Palmetto the players were dumping shots into the front bunker on a par 3 with a short pin. Too many of the pros are afraid to hit a stiff-wristed draw that would hit the front fringe and release forward 10 yards onto the green.

For average golfers, I would agree more club is needed. Overestimating how far a normal (not dead-solid-perfect) 7i shot goes is the main problem.

Edited by ChipNRun

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

1 minute ago, ChipNRun said:

I would suggest that Tour pros and average golfers have different reasons for short-pin problems. Tour pros hit the ball in with quite a bit of backspin, and may spin back off if the green has a false front of any kind. And, at the Palmetto the players were dumping shots into the front bunker on a par 3 with a short pin. Too many of the pros are afraid to hit a stiff-wristed draw that would hit the front fringe and release forward 10 yards onto the green.

For average golfers, I would agree more club is needed. Overestimating how far a normal (not dead-solid-perfect) 7i shot goes is the main problem.

That is largely not at all the reason according to Decade. It's that pros have the same issue as ams and at many times underclub assuming they are going to flush it perfectly  and thus are more likely to short-side themselves on front pins. For the most part decade has very similar aim points for both pros and ams, with different expectation outcomes based on skill/dispersion pattern

Just now, Krt22 said:

That is largely not at all the reason according to Decade. It's that pros have the same issue as ams and at many times underclub assuming they are going to flush it perfectly  and thus are more likely to short-side themselves on front pins. For the most part decade has very similar aim points for both pros and ams, with different expectation outcomes based on skill/dispersion pattern

Correct.  Shot dispersion on Tour tends to be short on shots that miss to the push side and long on shots that miss to the pull side.  With the driver Tour players had a a slightly greater tendency to miss to the push side than the pull side.  With irons the misses to the push side are much greater.  Thus the short and push side miss is much more prevalent.  So when getting a front pin location it's common to hit a short and push side miss and miss the GIR altogether.  With middle and back locations that short and push side miss can still miss the GIR.

RH

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichieHunt said:

Correct.  Shot dispersion on Tour tends to be short on shots that miss to the push side and long on shots that miss to the pull side.  With the driver Tour players had a a slightly greater tendency to miss to the push side than the pull side.  With irons the misses to the push side are much greater.  Thus the short and push side miss is much more prevalent.  So when getting a front pin location it's common to hit a short and push side miss and miss the GIR altogether.  With middle and back locations that short and push side miss can still miss the GIR.

RH

You provide good info all the time. Thanks

This confirms why the right hole location on Augusta National #12 is tougher for righties, and better for lefties. Basically any hole with an angled green going away from you - from front left to back right? Phil commented after the round that some of the tough holes at Kiawah also were better for him. 

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

On 6/8/2021 at 6:32 PM, jpt1101 said:

I would think Seminole is more of a “don’t call us we’ll call you” type of club. 

On 6/14/2021 at 8:35 AM, phizzy30 said:

How would the traditional steel shaft work in terms of a graphite putter shaft?  Are they lighter and stiffer?  I've only gamed those and while they feel fine, I'd like to experiment with graphite.  Who knows, I might save a few strokes on the greens. 

7 hours ago, mark m said:

You provide good info all the time. Thanks

This confirms why the right hole location on Augusta National #12 is tougher for righties, and better for lefties. Basically any hole with an angled green going away from you - from front left to back right? Phil commented after the round that some of the tough holes at Kiawah also were better for him. 

Correct.  Angled greens that go from the left side of the green being more of the front of the green and the right side of the green being more of the back of the green are green designs that give Tour players the most trouble.  

#18 at Orange Tree is a pretty similar.  I found that golfers on #18 at Orange Tree need to add about 6-yards to left pin locations, 8-yards to middle locations and 4-yards to back pin location in order to comfortably clear the water on all shots that were reasonably off target to the right.

RH