I am in a bit of a weird spot with golf. 

I have long, long accepted the fact I will never be a professional. I live in a small town where we have a public course and about 70-80 seasonal members. There is no competitive element or structure to anything at the course. I work 5am-1pm so I tend to play at odd hours and typically walk on as a single so the "getting out with the guys" part of it does not really apply either. For years I stressed over scores, trying to shoot as low as possible and in turn drove myself a little bit mad. Now I enjoy the game much more for the walk/exercise and feeling of hitting good shots (as infrequent as they might be). I could shoot 74 or 104 and there is literally not one person that would care in the slightest. I am not interested in trying to swing the club 120mph and chase speed like many others are doing, nor do I want to go out 2-3 times per week and drink for four hours on the course. 

When golf strictly becomes a hobby, what keeps you motivated to play?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My urgency to kill people. Playing reduces that.

I play because I love the game ....

I used to play team sports and for me, golf for me is such an individual sport that not only depends on physical action but also mental focus. If you dont have both working hand in hand, it shows. The best aspect about golf is it is between you and the golf course. At the end of the round, it is you to either congratulate or to ridicule. Along with that, each day is never the same. Always brings a different challenge and with that, I cant wait to play another 30 years+

Cobra LTD 9* Hazurdous Black
Cobra F8 15* Hazurdous Yellow

Cobra F9 19* Hazurdous Red

Cobra MIM Tour Recoil 3-PW F5 110

Cobra 52/58 snakebite Recoil F5 110

TaylorMade Spyder 
Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Pretty much the sun being up, not raining, being between 40-90 degrees and I'm not at work. That's sufficient motivation for me to play golf.

I'm not being flippant. For all my whining about bad rounds or whatever, it doesn't keep me from wanting to be back out there again tomorrow. It's just fun and for me fun is enough.

I play simply because I enjoy golfing alone or with others.  It is a combo of being outdoors (usually riding these days due to back issues) and doing something I love for half the day.

For e being on the range and chipping area an hour prior and just relaxing and working on things is my me time.

Insanity? Compulsion? Masochism?

Take your pick. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

For me it is 1/2 the challenge and 1/2 the camaraderie.  I played most athletics growing up, but not golf.  I tinkered when I was in my mid-teens (shot 100+), but did not get serious until I started playing with a friend in college, just the two of us (shot 90+).  Had a baseball grip until I was 23.  Played a lot with my dad when I was in my late 20's and got a little better (shot high 80's).  Joined a club when I was 35 to play golf but got sidetracked by the tennis side (also easier with 2 young kids).  Started playing more in my early 40's and being smart (shot low 80's).  Right now down to a 4.7 and will generally shoot 77 - 82 depending on if any putts go in.  So right now I am 47 and playing the best golf of my life.  Now I  concentrate on both swing improvements and course management to stop that 1 bad shot of the day.  I will never be scratch but I want to stay in the low single digits as long as possible.  For me the challenge to get better and stay better is 1/2 the fun.

The other 1/2 of the motivation is the amazing group of people you play with regularly.  Read any thread about "Should I join a club?" and 100% of club members will tell you YES.  The consistent group of 4 or 8 or 12 or guys never gets old.  There is never any question on where we should go or when we should go or how much we will spend.  There is a consistent group of guys that play at around the same time and we always have a good time.  When you get those blow up rounds where you lose 4 balls it does not matter; you are still with your friends and enjoying each others company.  There is always talking and joking and sometimes private conversations about work or family.  Fun and a little therapy.

The last 10% (yes I am at 110%), is the sometimes wonderful feeling of being alone and outside.  When the wife is at tennis and my son is watching a game and my daughter is at soccer practice, sometimes I can walk the back 9 by myself on a beautiful Thursday evening.  It is very rare to be alone and outside, so when it happens it is amazing.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, jetandollie said:

I am in a bit of a weird spot with golf. 

I have long, long accepted the fact I will never be a professional. I live in a small town where we have a public course and about 70-80 seasonal members. There is no competitive element or structure to anything at the course. I work 5am-1pm so I tend to play at odd hours and typically walk on as a single so the "getting out with the guys" part of it does not really apply either. For years I stressed over scores, trying to shoot as low as possible and in turn drove myself a little bit mad. Now I enjoy the game much more for the walk/exercise and feeling of hitting good shots (as infrequent as they might be). I could shoot 74 or 104 and there is literally not one person that would care in the slightest. I am not interested in trying to swing the club 120mph and chase speed like many others are doing, nor do I want to go out 2-3 times per week and drink for four hours on the course. 

This is a great question as I was just about to post a similar topic when I popped in here.  

I am motivated to play golf because of the following and in order of importance to me.

1) I enjoy getting out on a beautiful course, on a beautiful day and just focusing on something other than the stresses of work and life.

2) I love the feel and look of a well executed shot even if they don't happen often.  I remember the good things I do and don't sweat the bad.

3)  I love to crush the ball so sometimes, just a monster drive makes my day (doesn't even have to be in the fairway)

4) I want to see how good I can get, but I am not stressed to push myself more than I want to.  I don't have an interest in tournament golf or becoming the best, just good enough as defined by my own standards.

Edit:  Separate little question here.  Does anyone get irked when other golfers give unsolicited advice?  They can't seem to fathom sometimes that a person plays the game just for the enjoyment and not to become the best golfer in the world.  A lot of us are not competitive, or at least not really with anyone but ourselves and we aren't obsessed with becoming better.  We do what we want to do whether they think it is dumb or not from a scoring stand point.  Sorry, little rant there but too many people do that and it bugs the crap out of me.

Edited by clevited

Playing sports is a good way to stay in shape, golf is a sport that you don't need teams or large amounts of organization to do

So i took it up after college, and now i like it.

Callaway Epic Subzero 9 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Callaway Epic Subzero 13 w/Matrix Black Tie 80

Titleist TS3 20 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges w/ Modus 130

SGC #002 Flow Neck 385g

I've been playing since I was 8.  Fell in love at first sight.  My father introduced me to the game.  I was sick as a child so my mother wouldn't let me play anything too physical besides golf, tee ball soccer and swimming.  I played in high school and college.  I love baseball as well, but that requires a bunch of people to congregate together.  Hitting a 300+yard drive really gets me pumped.  Shooting a 72 also gets my juices flowing.  I think we're all addicts, but it's not drugs or alcohol, it's golf. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Tensei 1k 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

I think part of the reason I am enjoying it more is the availability to play a "quick" solo round on an empty or mostly empty course. I can hit shots, re-hit shots, lose balls, laugh at bad shots, celebrate the good ones.

I'm not keeping score because I'm not technically playing. More like practice and it's fun.

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged Blade 4, 5, 7-PW

Mizuno MP-68 6 iron

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

Driving with an open container...& true, unforgettable "Hold my beer" moments with my buddies 👍

Edited by SwingBlues

Taylormade Sim Max, Fujikura Ventus Velocore Black 6-S, Top Golf All-Fit adapter

Callaway Epic Max LS, Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6-S, Top Golf All-Fit adapter
Fairway Woods: Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft, Taylormade M4 HL 16.5* 4 wood, Vizard Z 60S shaft
Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid

Irons:      Mizuno JP921 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW KBS TGI 95/100 shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48*, Cleveland FullFace 56* both with Catalyst 100 shafts
Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with BGT Stability shaft
#1 Callaway Chromesoft X LS, #2 Srixon XV 5/6

Moe Norman/Graves One Plane swing

It’s a puzzle I’m constantly trying to finish.  At times, I get most of the pieces together and I can see how pretty the picture is.  But I can’t ever seem to find the last pieces to finish the puzzle.   

The search for those missing pieces holds my attention.  

I’m 50 and in my lifetime I think there has been some really poor golf instruction.    Probably well intentioned, but misguided.  It seems there are golf instructors who are figuring out a better way to skin the cat.  Undoing misdirection is difficult.

Competition. I don't get anything out of casual golf normally other than practice. I'll play vacation golf, heading to Spencer Iowa next month for a convention if anyone knows any good courses around there...

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
TM r15 3 wood
Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

On 6/16/2021 at 10:56 PM, jetandollie said:

1. It's my hobby.

2. I have nothing better to do.

3. I'm trying to improve. I'm way past any point where I could dream of playing golf for a living. I'm not likely to win even a club championship anymore. I just like working to get better.

Some people love model trains, some love flying airplanes or helicopters. I know people that love amateur auto racing. Some love riding motorcycles, either back woods or road riding. I love the feel of a well struck iron. I'm addicted to trying to get that every shot.

Precisely because it’s a game where you can go out and card a 74 or a 104.  You never know, so you have to go try.  Sometimes all it takes is one good shot to keep me coming back.

Of course there are cognitive & emotional benefits to physical exercise, practicing hand-eye coordination, walking in nature, exposure to the sun, setting and achieving goals, etc. All of which comes through playing golf.

But let’s face it. This is GolfWRX. All those clubs in my basement aren’t going to play golf by themselves.

Edited by jbrunk
  • Like 1

Summer 2021

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Ping G400 3Hy 19° & 4Hy 22° NV 2KXV Green 85H

Srixon ZU85 4U Steelfiber i95

Srixon Z585 6i-7i Modus 105

Srixon Z785 8i-AW Modus 120

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56.10 60.10 DG Spinner

SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange 34.5”

34 minutes ago, jbrunk said:

Precisely because it’s a game where you can go out and card a 74 or a 104.  You never know, so you have to go try.  Sometimes all it takes is one good shot to keep me coming back.

Of course there are cognitive & emotional benefits to physical exercise, practicing hand-eye coordination, waking in nature, exposure to the sun, setting and achieving goals, etc. All of which comes through playing golf.

But let’s face it. This is GolfWRX. All those clubs in my basement aren’t going to play golf by themselves.

You sleep on the course? And I thought I was obsessed...

I just absolutely love the feel of a well struck golf shot. Even though they don't go as far as they did now that I'm in my 60s, a solidly struck 7-iron that goes 145-150 yards gives me the same feeling as one that went 165-170 yards 30 years ago. I'm just addicted to that feeling.

• Like 1

Friends, looking for that one great shot, love of the chase. I constantly change something in my swing, not always for the good but for discovery. Just love the game since I was a little kid and my parents couldn’t afford me to play. I would make a course around the yard with a stick and plastic ball. Just always appealed to me maybe because I couldn’t let anybody down like a team sport. 

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

29 minutes ago, jonsnow said:

You sleep on the course? And I thought I was obsessed...

Only when I’m behind your group. 😉 

• Haha 2

Summer 2021

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Ping G400 3Hy 19° & 4Hy 22° NV 2KXV Green 85H

Srixon ZU85 4U Steelfiber i95

Srixon Z585 6i-7i Modus 105

Srixon Z785 8i-AW Modus 120

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56.10 60.10 DG Spinner

SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange 34.5”