Bridgestone J’s Professional Weapons

Just picked up a set of these 2-PW who’s played them, can anyone confirm if they’re 1020 or 1030 forged? I've read a few posts on here and other sites about them but hard to find much data on these, so would love to hear feedback on these. I found a chart with loft angles but can anyone confirm the loft on theirs if they game them. Came with Precision 6.5 flex rifled shafts

624038C5-B13E-416F-A0E6-A659F36B8700.jpeg

D0D875C9-473D-4C05-87D7-3EF99D25B146.jpeg

28BD8C97-7632-4B7E-B544-4A407B476FD9.jpeg

757564FC-A210-4CD0-92A9-A4ED3BD05335.jpeg

BB6D6CEA-ADBD-4A52-831A-325BEF5C5297.jpeg

Edited by PhillipG78

Heavy and very stiff with 6.5 Rifles, more so than the Project X 6.5.  Tradiotional lofts so the PW is in the 48-50* range. Reasonable forgiveness and excellent feel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
TXG Custom King Cobra F9 9.5* , Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
TXG Custom King Cobra F9 14.5*, Accra FX 140 2.0 M3
TXG Custom Cobra King Ltd. 5-wood 17.5*, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
TXG Custom Mizuno CLK 23*, Tensei Red CK 60 R
TXG Custom Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal 6-pw, 1* up, Recoil E460 R + 1/2"
TXG Custom Mizuno T20, 50/07, 56/10, 60/07, Nippon 950H Neo
TXG Custom PXG Brandon, 34.5"

3 hours ago, rgk5 said:

Heavy and very stiff with 6.5 Rifles, more so than the Project X 6.5.  Tradiotional lofts so the PW is in the 48-50* range. Reasonable forgiveness and excellent feel.

Having played both, I would say the PX 6.5 are stiffer than the "standard" Rifle 6.5....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Chrome Soft custom TruVis

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

12 hours ago, rgk5 said:

How soft are these? Any idea what they're forged from? I've read in other posts they're forged from 1020, I haven't hit them yet tomorrow is my first round with them.

1 hour ago, PhillipG78 said:

So you've played these clubs? If so how'd they feel?

I'm sorry, I was only commenting on the shaft relative relationship.  I've hit the J's irons, but its so long ago I don't really remember.

• Thanks 1

Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"

2 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I'm sorry, I was only commenting on the shaft relative relationship.  I've hit the J's irons, but its so long ago I don't really remember.

Gotcha so the precision FM 6.5 play stiff to flex? I’m about a 110-115 Driver SS so I’ve been told 6.5-7.0 is the sweet spot for me 

2 hours ago, PhillipG78 said:

Gotcha so the precision FM 6.5 play stiff to flex? I’m about a 110-115 Driver SS so I’ve been told 6.5-7.0 is the sweet spot for me 

The Project X do, but the stepped Precision and Rifle are similar IMO

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ws6 said:

I played the irons for about 7 years.  Great clubs, I don't remember if they were 1020.  IIRC, lofts were 48 pitching wedge with 4 degree gaps until the 4 iron at 25 degrees, then 3 degree gaps.  

From what I’ve read that looks about right for lofts, how soft were they? 

18 minutes ago, PhillipG78 said:

From what I’ve read that looks about right for lofts, how soft were they? 

As soft as any forging of the time.  No harshness that I remember.

TXG Custom King Cobra F9 9.5* , Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
TXG Custom King Cobra F9 14.5*, Accra FX 140 2.0 M3
TXG Custom Cobra King Ltd. 5-wood 17.5*, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
TXG Custom Mizuno CLK 23*, Tensei Red CK 60 R
TXG Custom Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal 6-pw, 1* up, Recoil E460 R + 1/2"
TXG Custom Mizuno T20, 50/07, 56/10, 60/07, Nippon 950H Neo
TXG Custom PXG Brandon, 34.5"

Played those for quite a few years, with original stepped Brunswick 6.0,  very soft and solid. Because of the Japanese reverse offset progression in this particular set, I actually played them in 3-7 and made a combination set with Tourstage Xblade muscle backs for 8-pw.

• Thanks 1

Titleist 910d3 9.5* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Tour Edge Exotics cbx 16.5* Aldila RIP beta 80s 

Titleist 818h1 19* (a2 surefit) Fujikura Motore TS hb 8.8
Titleist 962b 3-pw s400
Vokey sm8 raw S 54* s400
Vokey sm8 raw M 60* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

3 hours ago, PhillipG78 said:

Reverse offset?

Common in older Japanese irons, reverse offset refers to the short irons having more offset than the longer irons.

It can be quite pronounced. 

American and European sets tended to increase offset in the longer irons, though I've never seen a set where it was hugely noticeable, whereas the reverse offset on some older Japanese sets can be jarring. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Common in older Japanese irons, reverse offset refers to the short irons having more offset than the longer irons.

It can be quite pronounced. 

American and European sets tended to increase offset in the longer irons, though I've never seen a set where it was hugely noticeable, whereas the reverse offset on some older Japanese sets can be jarring. 

Why?

8 hours ago, mocokid said:

Why?

Why do older Japanese iron sets have this reverse offset?

I honestly don't know. My guess is that the leading Japanese players liked wedges and short irons with offset (not unusual; Jack Nicklaus liked a bit of offset, and Big_Stu here has talked about a wedge he has that was made for Curtis Strange that has a lot of offset), and club designers took what the pros liked and built it into their designs. 

But that's pure speculation.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 7:10 AM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Why do older Japanese iron sets have this reverse offset?

I honestly don't know. My guess is that the leading Japanese players liked wedges and short irons with offset (not unusual; Jack Nicklaus liked a bit of offset, and Big_Stu here has talked about a wedge he has that was made for Curtis Strange that has a lot of offset), and club designers took what the pros liked and built it into their designs. 

But that's pure speculation.

Yep some guys like a lot of offset as it fits their eye. Others like me do not like it. And yes the Curtis Strange wedge you mentioned ( good memory) has a lot more offset than any VIP wedge I have ever seen. For me it is jerkarama city

• Thanks 1

Driver--- TM M-6 Evenflow 65gm R set to 9.5

3W  TM V-Steel 15* bent to 14 NVS green Aldila 65gr R

7W TM V-steel 21* Ust Pro Force Gold 65 R

Irons 5 thru PW 2016 TM TP CBs--- Steelfiber 95 R shafts

GW  Ping Eye2 + Cleveland wedge shaft 51* 

SW Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind -- Modified grind to 10* KBS Wedge shaft

Putter Rusty Scotty Sante Fe Fluted Bullseye shaft--- No it aint going no where

Bag Old TM R-7 stand freebie works good on range and cart

Balls Some kind of Srixon since I have won so many-- Hey new freebies hit good

• 1 month later...

Found a Mizuno bag with full set of B'stone irons.  All from Japan, a 2nd hand Japanese shop. Evidence in bag indicated that set played by Japanese pro at Hawaii Open, year unknown.  Hawaii Open first played 1965 and over the years had winners such as Nicklaus, Trevino, Crenshaw, Aoki, etc.

Irons 4-Pw, all marked Tan-Bec Fine Unit; AlBeMet Face Insert and stamped 'AlBe & BeCu'.  Meaning of Tan-Bec and Face Unit not known. Al=aluminum, Be=beryllium and Cu=copper.

Hosel stamped Bridgestone and shafts also marked Bridgestone.  Shafts marked Harmonic 'St-Light' and R, Light Weight Carbon Graphite.

See photos of face insert, note wear marks on face, note shiny copper on solewear. 

IMG_20210723_152750612.jpg

IMG_20210723_152512291.jpg

IMG_20210723_152415330.jpg

IMG_20210723_152333399.jpg

IMG_20210723_152234859.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 5:29 AM, PhillipG78 said:

Anyone?

Jumbo Osaki was the marque player behind this design. He also designed the Jumbo Professional Weapon Driver of that early '90 Era.

Nicklaus lauded it as the longest driver of that time.

These J irons, other than a bit more toe weight weren't very different from the JNP irons that McGregor made for/with Nicklaus in that same period.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

All I can add is that I carried a J's 1-iron for a summer, a few years ago.  It was a kick in the pants to pull it out and see what I could do.  I have forgotten all of the misses, but remember the ones hit sweetly that blew my playing partner's mind.  It was a great summer!  It is out in the garage, somewhere.  Nothing like a true blade 1-iron, ;).

LaMont in AZ

• Like 2

Yes, I gamed these too. They're Endo forged, but not sure if 1020 or 1030. Definitely soft!

Mine had stepped Brunswick Precision FM 6.5 shafts. Looks like your set is stepped too.

The Brunswicks play stiffer than Rifle Precision FMs. Half a flex approximately. As for a comparison with Project X 6.5, which I've played too, The Project X's feel stouter and harsher than the Brunswicks but are lighter. I think the butt frequencies were similar. The stepped Brunswicks are great shafts.

Hated the look of the SW in the J's so didn't use it. However, adored the 2 iron. To this day, I haven't found a 2 iron that I could flight high or low as easily, or move around. Thinking of picking up a J's 2 iron to try to recreate the past "weapon"!

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 9:30 PM, golfluvzme said:

All I can add is that I carried a J's 1-iron for a summer, a few years ago.  It was a kick in the pants to pull it out and see what I could do.  I have forgotten all of the misses, but remember the ones hit sweetly that blew my playing partner's mind.  It was a great summer!  It is out in the garage, somewhere.  Nothing like a true blade 1-iron, ;).

LaMont in AZ

Where in AZ? Mesa here

On 9/6/2021 at 4:25 AM, nolixul said:

Yes, I gamed these too. They're Endo forged, but not sure if 1020 or 1030. Definitely soft!

Mine had stepped Brunswick Precision FM 6.5 shafts. Looks like your set is stepped too.

The Brunswicks play stiffer than Rifle Precision FMs. Half a flex approximately. As for a comparison with Project X 6.5, which I've played too, The Project X's feel stouter and harsher than the Brunswicks but are lighter. I think the butt frequencies were similar. The stepped Brunswicks are great shafts.

Hated the look of the SW in the J's so didn't use it. However, adored the 2 iron. To this day, I haven't found a 2 iron that I could flight high or low as easily, or move around. Thinking of picking up a J's 2 iron to try to recreate the past "weapon"!

I find the 2 iron very easy to hit I can hit it about 245