2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Thoughts of Playing Bare foot?

Now that the weather has improved it has allowed me to incorporate playing bare foot (Or at least with socks on) during my training days on the course. I read an article years ago of the benefit playing barefoot has in ones golf swing. After trying it for several practice holes I do feel more connected and I feel as if im able to utilise the ground better.

Any one tried playing barefoot and seen the benefit in their game?

• Confused 1

I could see benefits from practicing barefoot to improve feeling the connection with the ground, but couldn't play that way. I can't even use spikeless golf shoes as my feet spin out from under me in them.

TaylorMade Stealth2+ 9° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 5-S

TaylorMade M5 15° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 6-S
Callaway CF-18 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
Srixon ZX5 4-AW - Nippon Modus3 105 R
Cleveland ZipCore 54° Mid and 58° Mid - DG Spinner
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 35"
Titleist Pro V1
Arccos Gen 3 sensors

30 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I guess there is nothing in the Rules of Golf that prevents it.

I think there's a potential liability issue for courses that allow barefoot play.  Chemical exposure, stepping on sharp stuff, etc.  But I remember Sam Snead saying he practiced barefoot, maybe it works for some people.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PETERMCKEE7 said:

Now that the weather has improved it has allowed me to incorporate playing bare foot (Or at least with socks on) during my training days on the course. I read an article years ago of the benefit playing barefoot has in ones golf swing. After trying it for several practice holes I do feel more connected and I feel as if im able to utilise the ground better.

Any one tried playing barefoot and seen the benefit in their game?

Oh my.... this must be a Groucho Marx gag, it cannot be anything seriously presented...

4 hours ago, davep043 said:

I think there's a potential liability issue for courses that allow barefoot play.  Chemical exposure, stepping on sharp stuff, etc.  

I beg your pardon??? Wouldn't you be exposed in any case as you will be touching the surroundings with your hands directly or through your balls and clubs?? No sir, that is too far out...

Besides, at least around here no harmful stuff is used on the courses, only fertilizers and they are not classified as harmful for living creatures in the amounts used. On the other side of the pond... well, you never know, you do have the tendency of having all those multi billion law suits going on all the time... like the RoundUp case 😉

Edited by Mr. Bean

5 hours ago, davep043 said:

I think there's a potential liability issue for courses that allow barefoot play.  Chemical exposure, stepping on sharp stuff, etc.  But I remember Sam Snead saying he practiced barefoot, maybe it works for some people.

No shirt, no shoes ........

I remember the day I was on the range and “Jerry” showed up without a shirt. He really needed to be wearing a shirt. Somebody must have noticed because I heard my daughter’s voice from up the hill behind the range (she was working the pro shop) trying to politely and as quietly as she could (no way she was getting closer, lol) get his attention, all the while looking away, to let him know he needed to stay dressed while at the course. It was hilarious. I really liked Jerry but was happy for a few minutes he set up behind me. Hey, nobody wants me shirtless out there, either!

I play about 90% of my rounds of golf in flip flops.  Have been doing it for years, and played about 900 rounds in them.  Once, at a pretty low level course did someone ask me to put shoes on.

If I was a better golfer, I'd incorporate more barefoot play into that, but i am often into the weeds, sand etc.  The chemicals were mentioned, and its a real thing.  Even in flip flops I have twice gotten parasites because of cracks in my heels, and the chemicals/junk on the course.  

Only played barefoot once, and that was at The Sandbox at Sand Valley.  I thought it was kind of fun but not something I could do on a 7k yard course.  I would be more worried about stepping on a broken tee than the chemicals.  One time I was brushing off some leaves or dirt or something on a tee box and sliced 3 fingers on a sharp broken tee.  Would hate to get sliced or stabbed in the tender arch of my foot.  OUCH!  Sometimes I do practice in casual sneakers or loafers to ensure my balance and tempo is ok.

1 hour ago, rzitup said:

The chemicals were mentioned, and its a real thing.  Even in flip flops I have twice gotten parasites because of cracks in my heels, and the chemicals/junk on the course.  

Did you sue the course..?

I truly wonder what kind of stuff is used on your courses as our golf courses use the same stuff that is used for any food grown on the agricultural fields.

6 hours ago, davep043 said:

Yup, Sam playing barefoot and putting sidesaddle.  Love it!  I play at night quite a bit with mi bare feet.  I usually start in flip flops but ditch em for the actual swing. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Bean said:

Did you sue the course..?

I truly wonder what kind of stuff is used on your courses as our golf courses use the same stuff that is used for any food grown on the agricultural fields.

I have no idea where this debate and/or science is now, but the mystery that is Guillain Barre, has somewhat been linked to golf courses.  They really don't know, but a lot of people who get it, including my father in law, live on golf courses and many times it's the only common thing between them. Some blame it on the sprayed chemicals.  Hard to say, and I doubt it's a cause, but it's definitely been tossed around for years. 

3 minutes ago, PoolPond said:

I have no idea where this debate and/or science is now, but the mystery that is Guillain Barre, has somewhat been linked to golf courses.  They really don't know, but a lot of people who get it, including my father in law, live on golf courses and many times it's the only common thing between them. Some blame it on the sprayed chemicals.  Hard to say, and I doubt it's a cause, but it's definitely been tossed around for years. 

You must be joking??? Guillain-Barré has absolutely nothing to do with golf courses or substances used on those. Do not believe everything they say on Facebook...

55 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

Just out of curiosity, why would anyone WANT to play golf barefoot or even without decent footwear?

I walk barefoot on the beach and enjoy it - same idea.

Walking barefoot on a lush beautiful parkland fairway is actually very nice. I can't say I have every player a round barefoot but have practice putting or played a few holes in flip flops and taken them off. It felt nice - more comfortable then my hardwood floors at home. 

Edited by 2bGood

So you also play soccer barefoot..?

C'mon, 2b, walking on the beach and playing golf are not even close!

Why does this idea upset you so much lol.  I’m not gonna ditch my shoes either, but I don’t doubt there are things you could learn from doing so.  I’ve got too many foot problems to try golfing without arch and heel support but to each their own...

So you also play soccer barefoot..?

C'mon, 2b, walking on the beach and playing golf are not even close!

I am looking at your questions more as "why do you want to go walking around outdoors barefoot". Simple answers is it feels nice (maybe).

For me not something I would do in a real round. But I have played , .000001% of my golf barefoot, and it felt nice on a nice summer day. 

As to soccer barefoot, yes I have done it. Hanging out in the park having fun with friends kind of thing. Come summer I never wear real shoes unless I am in the office and I run around in sandals & barefoot all the time. 

I played a round barefoot a few weeks ago (slipped into a creek and soaked my shoes) it felt great, but I wouldn't do it at most of the courses I play.  Didn't step on anything too painful... playing wise was nice, kept me under control 

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

3 hours ago, jomatty said:

Why does this idea upset you so much lol.  I’m not gonna ditch my shoes either, but I don’t doubt there are things you could learn from doing so.  I’ve got too many foot problems to try golfing without arch and heel support but to each their own...

I am not sure how this topic ended up in the golf and etiquette section. 

But as for the upsetting part - No rules against it, but I actually think it not the good etiquette at most courses. The times I have done it were pretty niche situations including on someones personal course. 

1 hour ago, 2bGood said:

I am not sure how this topic ended up in the golf and etiquette section. 

But as for the upsetting part - No rules against it, but I actually think it not the good etiquette at most courses. The times I have done it were pretty niche situations including on someones personal course. 

I understand it just seems a strange thing to be upset about in a hypothetical situation.  I personally would never do it, for multiple reasons.  The reason I asked was because I got paired with a guy who played barefoot once at a local public course.  I was really irritated.  It bothered me.  Around 6 holes in I realized that the guy was super nice, and was playing fast and being a considerate playing partner in every way besides teeing barefoot.  I had to ask myself the same thing I asked mr bean.  Why does this bother me so much, when it doesn’t effect me at all?  I decided the issue was with me and this isn’t much different than someone wanting to play in a hoodie, or collarless shirt on a course that permits it (this also bothers me some if I don’t take care not to worry about insignificant things).

• Like 1